Why its silly to be saying people that don't like X3 just are fanboys

T

*The Batman*

This deserves its own thread. Its not about why I don't like X3. It's about why people rationalize us all away and its rediculous and its cut and dry why that is.

Take the word fanboy and break it down..fan...a fan of something...some kind of material? Oh ok...so X-Men has a universe..they have stories. You mean they have specific stories and specific characters and specific material to draw from?!

And FOX is making a movie.. wow. Why not just honor that material. Don't take a story like Phoenix and then not do it justice, do it half ass. You might as well just not do it at all. Don't take Wolverine's backstory and then half ass it. Don't take Magneto's hatred for humans and make it unclear why that is.

Liberties taken are completely different than changing something completely until its almost just a joke.

Batman Begins finally got it right. Honor your material and your characters. We don't care if Spider-Man makes webs or they come naturally. We don't care if Storm has an accent or not. We don't care if Batman has a love interest thats an entirely new character.

Those are liberties taken. They don't change the defining reason we love the material. They don't change the character. And they don't change the story.

Its like adapting a book into a movie. You wouldn't take the plot and the characters a decide to just KILL OFF half them for no reason and also just decide to do take the story and half ass it entirely.

So please enough with the fanboy negativity and the oh you just don't like the movie because cyclops was killed that i'm reading EVERYWHERE.

Your missing the boat completely. Who's with me?

Personally, I agree with you if you're talking about changes like Cyclops' fate, and how Wolverine was turned into a leader and Jean's savior in this film. Zak Penn said that it was "set up" in the first 2 films. No it wasn't. He obviously didn't get the first 2 films if he believes that.

Those are drastic changes that I believe warrant legitamate concerns.

For me, they are changes that I don't like, but I can deal with in the overall picture. But I don't like them by any means. They weren't the right way to go.

The complaints that get me, are when people say that the movies suck because Wolverine one upped Cyclops the entire time. No he didn't. Watch those movies again. They fueded, and fueded pretty equally. They both had their fair share of "last laughs", and it wasn't until this film that they totally ****ed it up.

Or when people yammer on about how Rogue wasn't Rogue. Yes she was. Maybe not the Rogue you wanted to see, but what was in the movie WAS Rogue (again, until they ****ed it up in this movie by actually curing her).

Those are the things that make me mad, when people talk about how inaccurate these movies were, and cite things that WERE ACCURATE, they just weren't all flashy and flamboyant like yellow spandex, or punching holes in mountains with optic blasts.

Unlike X-Men and X2, I do believe that X-Men: The Last Stand has more than a couple drastic changes from the source material that warrant legitamate concern / dislike. The changes in X-Men and X2, to me, are the difference from comic book to film; essence and foundation of the characters and the world they exist in are kept in tact, whereas some of the details are changed. But X-Men: The Last Stand, butchered the essence of a classic storyline, and the essence of about 3 or 4 characters, with their major deviations. Wolverine isn't a leader and Jean Grey's savior. Cyclops isn't non-existant and a non-factor in the saving of the woman he loves, Rogue would never go through with the cure even if she would contemplate it, and Storm isn't a stereotypical black woman with an attitude (I'm sorry, her lines may have had "purpose" this time, but that wasn't Storm in any of the 3 movies).

I agree with you about some of the changes made in this film. For me, personally, these changes didn't make this a bad movie. They made it a movie that could have been so much more, a movie that will never live up to it's potential, but not a bad movie by any means. Honestly, I don't
even think it's the worst in the series. I still enjoy it more than X-Men.

Where it got much wrong, this film actually got even more right. The only problem is, whereas X-Men and X2 got some details wrong, but kept the essence and foundation, the changes in this film actually change the essence of the entire story being told. These are bigger changes than just "these are the movies, NOT the comic books", and those changes taint the rest of the film, so even if the rest of it is amazing (which I feel it is), the movie as a whole is brought down because of these changes.

I totally understand, and even agree with you. I just don't think that these changes made a bad film. I still enjoy the film. Seen it 7 times in theatres. Might see it once more. Can't wait for the DVD to watch all 3 straight through back to back to back.

Im not a fanboy.

And i disliked the movie.

I think the point is that the fanboys dislike the film for very particular reasons that the general public don't care about. The lack of Cyclops. Too much Wolverine. Rogue taking the cure. Storm still not being entirely faithful. Phoenix not being faithful, ie no firebird. These are points derived from the roles in the comics, that only a fanboy could dislike the movie for based on their expectations of the comics.

My take is this: While I think X-Men had its share of minor faults (e.g., miscasting Cyclops--James Marsden could've been a younger brother to Jean), on the whole, the movie was faithful to the essence of the characters in the comic series. X2 carried this on, was faithful to the original film, and even gave us a sampling of what could've been a great story for succeeding follow-ups: The Phoenix Saga.

Sadly, X-Men: TLS failed to carry on what was established in the first two films--the basic nature of the characters involved.

I dont understand why people say that Rogue wouldn't of taken the cure. I remember she tried, Dr. Adler anyone??

ImOverIt said:
I dont understand why people say that Rogue wouldn't of taken the cure. I remember she tried, Dr. Adler anyone??

Yes, then she came to her senses and realised her powers could do some good

But if you were rogue, would you live your life not being able to touch people just to please some fanboys (had to say that word)

I didn't know that each and every reviewer or critic all over the planet, who didn't like this movie, was a fanboy.

FieryPhoenix said:
e.g., miscasting Cyclops--James Marsden could've been a younger brother to Jean

a) You could also say that Famke was the wrong choice here

b) If a guy has a younger gf he's Da Man - if a woman has a younger bf, then he's like her younger brother?

Famke and James even share chemistry off camera.

We want to be progressive, but in the end the perfect picture is an older guy with a tiny young woman, who is pregnant and barefoot in front of the stove. :down :down :down

The Ones said:
Yes, then she came to her senses and realised her powers could do some good

But if you were rogue, would you live your life not being able to touch people just to please some fanboys (had to say that word)
remember that the "powers which could do some good" were flying and superstrengh. Those were the powers that saved Jean, thus making Rogue regret her decision. It wasnt her "sucking life" ability which made her think on her powers. Movie Rogue didnt have those amazing powers, thtas why she chose the cure, just like any other Rogue would, had she only the sucking ability. If comic/cartoon Rogue never cured herself, it was because she happened to have two amazing secondary powers, what diddnt happen to our movie Rogue.

flavio_lebeau said:
If comic/cartoon Rogue never cured herself, it was because she happened to have two amazing secondary powers, what diddnt happen to our movie Rogue.

Another lost opportunity. Instead of letting her develop her powers, they "cured" her.

Amazing! :eek:

Pizzaboy1138 said:
Another lost opportunity. Instead of letting her develop her powers, they "cured" her.

Amazing! :eek:
Rogue is my all-time favorite character, but i wouldnt like her to have those cool powers. All i wished was good using of the power she has (i didnt watch Evolution much, but they did a pretty good job using Rogue in a creative way)

flavio_lebeau said:
remember that the "powers which could do some good" were flying and superstrengh. Those were the powers that saved Jean, thus making Rogue regret her decision. It wasnt her "sucking life" ability which made her think on her powers. Movie Rogue didnt have those amazing powers, thtas why she chose the cure, just like any other Rogue would, had she only the sucking ability. If comic/cartoon Rogue never cured herself, it was because she happened to have two amazing secondary powers, what diddnt happen to our movie Rogue.

I believed you...until I watched X2, and saw Rogue not only accepting her powers, but defending Bobby to his parents saying that "he IS gifted!" But of course the creators of X3 couldn't manage anymore continuity then "cerebro door" and "jean read hair".

Mic said:
Im not a fanboy.

And i disliked the movie.
I believe you've said a mouthful :o

Bout time someone made this thread. Mainstream audiences went to see this movie ONLY because they LIKED the first two. Most had no idea that this one would not be by the same director/ writers, especially considering all of the original cast was returning. They bought into the hype that they would see at least the level of detail and storytelling that they were shown in the first two movies. A lot of the 'non' fanboys types that I speak with just thought this movie was alright...

I'm sure most of you know that I did not support the liberties taken from the source material in Xmen and X2, but X3 showed me exactly who was responsible for a lot of that as well. There are a lot of reasons NOT to like X3, and even whithout knowing as much inside detail, some mainstream viewers didn't enjoy this one as much either!

It is not fair to say fanboys.

I loved the movie... but it didn't feel right that Rogue took the cure and that Scott died.... but that doesn't make me a fanboy...

What I'm also trying to say that maybe I didn't get across is beyond all the specific issues the tone of the film and just everything about it came off as a joke, it was rushed, it was silly even....not what X-Men or X2 felt like in the least. Not honoring your source material. Especially doing a cure and phoenix storyline. Shouldn't this movie have kicked ass just because of that?! That's because those stories are AMAZING! And look at this film. It's not amazing. Not even close. Its merely "ok", "good", "good for what it is" and that's the postive reviews!

That's my main beef. Obviously these specific incidents lead to that outcome but also just on a general level I think only 2 scenes in the entire movie worked and they both had Jean Grey speaking in them so there ya go. And that's not because I'm a Jean Grey fan its because its the only thing that worked, the only moments that didn't feel out of place in X3. A brief moment of what was just the tip of what a good movie could have been.

This is really a moot point. All of this debate over Fox and their decisions and the crappy quality of X3. Just go to the Superman Returns boards and see what a real director does with a film if the studio backs him.

Fox dropped the ball big time. Time for them, and others, to eat alot of crow.

*The Batman* said:
This deserves its own thread.

You know...the same list of complaints over and over again doesn't always deserve it's own thread. :rolleyes:

danoyse said:
You know...the same list of complaints over and over again doesn't always deserve it's own thread. :rolleyes:

I totaly agree...
This is a useless thread..everyone complains in a lot af threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"