Why its silly to be saying people that don't like X3 just are fanboys

Pizzaboy1138 said:
a) You could also say that Famke was the wrong choice here

b) If a guy has a younger gf he's Da Man - if a woman has a younger bf, then he's like her younger brother?

Famke and James even share chemistry off camera.

We want to be progressive, but in the end the perfect picture is an older guy with a tiny young woman, who is pregnant and barefoot in front of the stove. :down :down :down

Oh, please. Did I even remotely suggest what to you is society's idealized pairing of an older, wiser, and more powerful guy with a dependent and subservient young woman?

If you've read my post carefully, my comment only pertained to James' fitness for the part in relation to how old he looked. Nothing more, nothing less. I didn't say that he was miscast because of other reasons like say, being a cardboard actor, which he was not.

If you felt that James and Famke shared some sort of chemistry on and off screen, that's perfectly fine with me. That is how you perceived their interactions thus far. However, it cannot be denied that in terms of casting, an actor not only has to play the part, but has to look the part as well.

James, IMO, didn't appear to be an equal to Famke in terms of screen presence.

In that regard, it is my view that that was a hurdle, albeit a MINOR one, which the folks at X-Men had to overcome.

Pizzaboy1138 said:
a) You could also say that Famke was the wrong choice here

b) If a guy has a younger gf he's Da Man - if a woman has a younger bf, then he's like her younger brother?

has to do with evolution
Pizzaboy1138 said:
Famke and James even share chemistry off camera.

We want to be progressive, but in the end the perfect picture is an older guy with a tiny young woman, who is pregnant and barefoot in front of the stove. :down :down :down

a) I dont want to be progressive
b) I have no clue how you drew that conclusion about the "perfect picture" from what was said.

conclusion: feminists complain about the most incredible things, even if it has nothing to do with being "barefoot and pregnant", that phrase will somehow be dragged into the thread.

FieryPhoenix said:
Sadly, X-Men: TLS failed to carry on what was established in the first two films--the basic nature of the characters involved.

I am completely with you... I'm not a "fangirl", I'm a fan of the X-Men movies, and this one really dissapointed me.

As for the question...it is much easier for people who like this movie to label us whiney fanboys because it makes them feel our claims of a poor movie are silly whiney complaints and the only reason we dont like it because cyclops dies etc etc.

When in fact the movie was just crap...regardless of cyclops...look at all the poor reviews compared to X2&X1

You notice they are never able to argure in favour for x3 and make a good point when someone slags it off...if you dont like it and slate the movie..instead of making a smart point they will label you a whiney fan boy..to make themselves feel better

Yeah dude... it wasn't really anything specific because it was just everything... the movie was all crap... and it all began with one of the most ridiculously weak scripts I've ever seen... it's like a first draft... or a string of ideas and the actors were just told to make up their own dialogue as they went along... I seriously haven't seen a script as bad as that in a long time. It was horrendous.

this movie was so badly written one could barely make sense of it... I know that was the studio's fault a lot... the writer's aren't as much to blame...

How could that script have been approved for production? Even in the situation they were in surely someone out of all of the people involved took a look at the script and said 'we simply cannot make this movie'??? None of the actors? None of the producers? None of the writers? The Director even? The art director? I've read that it's not always easy to recognize a bad script... but this is really taking that to extremes. I'm sure on paper this film must have seemed even more hair brained. It would have made even less sense.

Optic Rage said:
As for the question...it is much easier for people who like this movie to label us whiney fanboys because it makes them feel our claims of a poor movie are silly whiney complaints and the only reason we dont like it because cyclops dies etc etc.

When in fact the movie was just crap...regardless of cyclops...look at all the poor reviews compared to X2&X1

You notice they are never able to argure in favour for x3 and make a good point when someone slags it off...if you dont like it and slate the movie..instead of making a smart point they will label you a whiney fan boy..to make themselves feel better

And the people who like the movie get written off as apologists and non-fans. What's the difference?

i know fans of the comics who loved all 3 movies, i know some who dont like x3 and i know some who loved x3 but didnt like x3. its all about what appeals to certain people. but i do agree that saying its just fanboys who hate x3 is wrong and stupid generalization!

the difference is apologists are usually labelled aplogists because they bashed people who hate the movie first

The Batman said:
the difference is apologists are usually labelled aplogists because they bashed people who hate the movie first

Then there's no difference.

Can we all just accept the fact that the opinions are split without bashing the other side??

no.

j/k

I've learned a little about war mentalities. was bored one day and just got into a book about it and it's striking to learn how it usually comes down to us vs them an the real issue of what the war's about usally gets completely lost. I don't know if it's that serious when it comes to comics or films though. would you kill because someone said your fav movie sucked?

what's to be won?

Wesyeed said:
I've learned a little about war mentalities. was bored one day and just got into a book about it and it's striking to learn how it usually comes down to us vs them an the real issue of what the war's about usally gets completely lost.

It's like that U2 song..."There's many lost, but tell me, who has won?" :(

I just want to say that this is the only place I hear people complaining about this movie sooooooo much. Everyone I have talked with in person about the movie has liked it. I may get an occasional "there wasn't enouph Angel," but other than that, people liked it.

exactly. U2 is right and their music is nice too.

nobody gains anything substantial from all this verbal farting on each other. There must be a more peaceful way to discuss men in tights fighting crime with underwear outside their pants. The xavier I know would want us to stop farting... ah ok couldn't resist. Just saying xavier dreams of peace. we should dream for the same.

danoyse said:
And the people who like the movie get written off as apologists and non-fans. What's the difference?

See i have never labled anyone for liking the movie....if they love the movie...well kudos to them...but i have been called a whiney fanboy a few times for saying i didnt like the movie[gave valid reasons and not just because they ****ed over the comic book history]

and cardslinger everyone i know thinks it sucked.

Wesyeed said:
exactly. U2 is right and their music is nice too.

nobody gains anything substantial from all this verbal farting on each other. There must be a more peaceful way to discuss men in tights fighting crime with underwear outside their pants. The xavier I know would want us to stop farting.

LOL...that's the funniest thing I've read all day.

The Batman said:

To true.

So now it's down to "he started it!!!" :rolleyes:

Can we all just agree to disagree? Every movie in the world has those people who hate it and also those people who love it.

Opinion was pretty split across the board and not just with fanboys. It was pretty polarized . Half the people I've talked to didn't like it while the other half thought it was one of the best comic films ever made. Batman Returns had a similar reaction as well when it came out .

I liked X-Men the last stand....I just wish Angel would have joined the team for the last battle and Colossus had more lines and a fight with Juggernaut

Personally, I haven't come across many people in public who've greatly enjoyed this film.

My friend I saw it with for the midnight showing called it a "storyboard" film, where it was just one thing to the next, with no real connection or translation between scenes.

My other friend who I saw it with on my birthday wasn't a big fan of it. Though I didn't expect much from him. He's not a big X-Men fan period, and wasn't huge on the other 2 movies.

A girl I work with hated it the first time she saw it, though she saw it again and said she warmed up to it.

And I've had other random encounters of people who were disappointed.

And I think that's the general reaction is disappointment. I think everyone knows this movie could have been a lot bigger and better than it was. But somewhere along the line, the epicness of it got lost. Some people just flat out hate it, and I've come across those too.

As for this:

Optic Rage said:

I've never called anyone a fanboy for not liking this movie (and I know none of this was directed at me), and in fact, the problems with this movie are MAJOR deviations, it's not just "well these are movies, not the comic book" changes. The essence of the characters and stories were changed into something they are not. This isn't Dr. Jean Grey, or Wolverine being an X-Men before Beast and Angel.

But if you want an explanation, I can fire off a list of everything I feel this movie did right, and why I feel that overall, this is a very good movie.

And for an earlier post, I don't care how much non-X-Men fans won't realize was changed, that's no excuse to change it. I've never read a Lord of the Rings book before, but that didn't stop me from highly enjoying the movies (my favorite movies of all time, even more so than X-Men, and X-Men is my favorite fictional universe ever), as well as giving the Lord of the Rings fans their dream come true in seeing THEIR favorite universe brought to life.

And the worst part is, keeping Cyclops in a major role WOULDN'T have lost them money! People were gonna see this movie either way! They wouldn't have had a lower opening weekend or anything just because Cyclops was involved the whole way through!

This is a very bittersweet movie. It's very enjoyable, a very good movie, a great addition to the trilogy, but it did so much wrong in the process...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"