Why, Raimi? Why?

tonytr1687

Sidekick
Reaction score
Well with both Stan Lee and Raimi's brother basically confirming Venom, I had to ask...why did Raimi have go to and ruin a good thing? Sure SM3 could still turn out great but its really not the direction the franchise should have taken after the second film. I mean why, with 3 more films after this one, do they have to rush Venom and cram him in with two other villians, one of which (GG2) is a mega-villian in his own right? Or by squishing Venom into this one, they run the chance of overshadowing Harry's role and ruining the Goblin legacy Raimi had set up so perfectly in 2. It seemed so obvious: Harry promises revenge in SM1, Harry finds the Goblin gear in SM2, Raimi says he's not a fan of Venom...how did this happen? And dont get me wrong I love Venom as a character too and thats why I think he be should held off on. Bringing him in this early and along with two other villians is not only too much, but a disservice to not only GG2 but Venom himself, unless they're merely setting him up for SM4. But with the recent comments from certain ppl that doesnt look the case and it sounds like Venom will appear just for the final battle and thats it. A real shame, I say.

Well I'll be damned,you made a negative remark about Raimi's decisions on these movies.And a darned good one too.My respect for you has just risen ;)

And I agree completely.Waaaaaaaaaaay too early for Venom,and I especially dislike his choice of actor for the part too_One of many disappointments to come me thinks.

Venom is a fan-favourite villain, and everyone was saying that he'd be in SM3, and if Raimi dissapointed us...well, he'd be in BIG trouble. Agree with wrong actor tho.

sag002 said:
Venom is a fan-favourite villain, and everyone was saying that he'd be in SM3, and if Raimi dissapointed us...well, he'd be in BIG trouble. Agree with wrong actor tho.

That's why I blame some of the idiotic fans on this board and their annoying impatience when it comes to Venom. They're making six friggin' movies! There's plenty of time to include Venom in the future...but noooo. They're putting too many eggs in one basket with this one, and risk blowing their load before the franchise has even peaked. Where can you go after Venom? The only thing that can top him are Carnage and the Sinister Six and that would only equal five movies.

Doc Ock said:
Well I'll be damned,you made a negative remark about Raimi's decisions on these movies.And a darned good one too.My respect for you has just risen ;)

And I agree completely.Waaaaaaaaaaay too early for Venom,and I especially dislike his choice of actor for the part too_One of many disappointments to come me thinks.

While I loved the first two films, I'll admit when there's a decision I dont like. Raimi hasnt disappointed me...until now. I am willing to give Topher a chance, but I hoped he would only be plain ole Brock in this one. My hopes have been dashed.

I still want to see The Lizard dammit.

Agreed. Venom could wait.

Truthteller said:

I totally would pick him over Sandman or Venom any day. :(

tonytr1687 said:
That's why I blame some of the idiotic fans on this board and their annoying impatience when it comes to Venom. They're making six friggin' movies! There's plenty of time to include Venom in the future...but noooo. They're putting too many eggs in one basket with this one, and risk blowing their load before the franchise has even peaked. Where can you go after Venom? The only thing that can top him are Carnage and the Sinister Six and that would only equal five movies.
exactly.. If venom is gunna be in the movies... He shouldnt have a bit part he should have a movie dedicated to him alone as the villain... I dont LOVE venom but I like him... Carnage on the other hand.. I dont want carnage in any big screen adaptation...

SsM said:
exactly.. If venom is gunna be in the movies... He shouldnt have a bit part he should have a movie dedicated to him alone as the villain... I dont LOVE venom but I like him... Carnage on the other hand.. I dont want carnage in any big screen adaptation...

Well yeah maybe I exaggerated, I dont love Venom but I like him and believe that along with GG and Ock he is one of the few villians who should have a movie all to himself. About Carnage, yeah he kinda sucked in the comics but if they changed him a little and gave him more depth (I myself have some ideas on how to do this) he could be an awesome villian on film.

I think if Venom fights and dies in 3, that Lizard will be the villain for 4. I agree with you they are rushing Venom, I like his character, but I like Harry more. He is my fav character and Venom better not overshadow him in this movie. Harry killing or help killing Venom would be awesome to see. But anyway Lizard should be in 4 if Venom is in 3. I would have Venom be the very last villain if I were making these movies, cuz I don't care for Carnage.

I'm still on the fence about Venom. I hear one idea and I think Venom will be great then I hear another idea and don't want to see him. I think I'm going to hold off any official possitions until I see a picture or some official confirmation.

tonytr1687 said:
I mean why, with 3 more films after this one, do they have to rush Venom and cram him in with two other villians, one of which (GG2) is a mega-villian in his own right?
I think he be should held off on. Bringing him in this early and along with two other villians is not only too much, but a disservice to not only GG2 but Venom himself,

Fanboy "demand" + Studio pressure aka "The be careful what you wish for department".

Truthteller said:

Me too. :( ... TRUTHTELLER! :eek:

How about we wait until the movie's actually out before we start damning Raimi to hell?

I mean we waited years before we did anything about Hitler's expansionist and illegal activities, and look what came of that.

...okay, maybe that wasn't such a good example.

Nebins said:
I'm still on the fence about Venom. I hear one idea and I think Venom will be great then I hear another idea and don't want to see him. I think I'm going to hold off any official possitions until I see a picture or some official confirmation.

I don't think it was totally Raimi's decision to use Venom. I have a strong feeling the bosses at Sony pushed him to do it. Raimi loves Spider-Man and is passionate about the story he's telling. We know that. And we know he's not a big fan of Venom. But the bottom line is, Sony doesn't give a flip about respecting the character and the story of Spider-Man. They only want to make as much money as they can, and they couldn't ignore all the fanboys screaming for Venom. They knew that was a sign of potential huge $$$. I'm interested to see how it turns out, but honestly I was hoping they'd stick with the more believable and less supernatural villains for the movies.

CConn said:
How about we wait until the movie's actually out before we start damning Raimi to hell?

I mean we waited years before we did anything about Hitler's expansionist and illegal activities, and look what came of that.

...okay, maybe that wasn't such a good example.

Hey I'm not damning him to hell, I'm just saying I'm disappointed. And its actually the first time.

Well if it helps,we may not even see Venom in the film.

Yeah I also think that Sony / Marvel were the ones who pushed Raimi to do this. Raimi probably thought about it this way, either he did it to their outline or they'll swap him for some other director but Raimi wanted to make the best out of the situation, even if it means going off an angle and including Venom into it. Personally I dont want Venom in this movie, perhaps in the future but SM3 is definetly not a good place to just throw in a character like this, Venom is way too out of wack for the semi-realistic world that SM1 and SM2 established. I mean its about the first two movies were really about Peter Parker and the Osborn legacy, throwing in a black suit (i hope they wont have a "voice" the suit, that would be wayyyy too much) and sandman AND eddie brock?.... As far as I know, Raimi said "Venom is for squares" back in an interview when SM2 was about to be released, to have the whole thing go 180, points to me, that Raimi was not the one who chose to use Venom, if he is indeed in this one.

venom shoulda been later...but...no complaints cuz i love venom

I totally agree they should have planted seeds for venom in sm4 and have him in sm 5 or even 6 its too early IMO. To have him in this film..:down :(

Abaddon said:
Well if it helps,we may not even see Venom in the film.

I used to think that, but the comments from Stan Lee and Ted Raimi have led me to believe otherwise. I just wanted the first trilogy to focus on the Goblin legacy and the second trilogy to focus on the symbiotes. That way you sorta seperate the semi-realism of the first three films from the more unrealistic alien stuff in the second three and it doesnt feel out of whack.

Venom or no Venom.

That is the question.

I dont know what to think anymore.

I wonder what the reaction of fans would be if indeed venom wasnt in the movie specially if eddie brock isnt in either.

Will shall see.

With ever new speculation, really nothing is really confirmed.

Just more questions and speculation.

I'm sure Brock is in it,but we may only see a glimpse of Venom,if anything

tonytr1687 said:
Well yeah maybe I exaggerated, I dont love Venom but I like him and believe that along with GG and Ock he is one of the few villians who should have a movie all to himself. About Carnage, yeah he kinda sucked in the comics but if they changed him a little and gave him more depth (I myself have some ideas on how to do this) he could be an awesome villian on film.
I dont really see how you can give a guy like carnage depth or make him sympathetic... I mean.. In the comics you can clearly see they try to give him character depth by explaining his abusive father etc... but thats so cliche :x

tonytr1687 said:
About Carnage, yeah he kinda sucked in the comics but if they changed him a little and gave him more depth (I myself have some ideas on how to do this) he could be an awesome villian on film.

Are you not a Grace/Venom "cheerleader"? I thought I remembered you being one... If so, I think I'll pass on your ideas of how best to flesh out Carnage, thanks. :)

As a serious, knowledgable and longtime Carnage fan the only request I can make is this: Sony/Raimi/Marvel, please stick to destroying Venom onscreen, and leave Carnage out of the equation. You've got your little mitts on the one, leave the other alone.

Everyone can say what they want about "six films," cramming this many characters and plotlines into one film just screams "LAST HOORAH!" to me, as in, better get 'em in now... because this is our last chance. Odd that they would do that, is it not? If they really have 6 more films lined up.

No matter what happens, no matter what character was picked, no matter who the actor or director is...there's always freaking complaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"