• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Will Peter/Spider-Man redeem himself by the end of the film?

Visionary said:
I hope not, I hope the movie doesn't end with everything tied up with a little cute bow. I want something(s) to linger, leaving us pondering about something. Damn closure.

Almost every film attempts to do this. You know this..I know this..everyone knows this. I'm wondering whether or not Raimi can pull it off. Of course they'll attempt to make the audience love Peter again, but that doesn't mean that they'll buy it.

Whether he's simply being naive or if he's an overconfident cocky bastard, he still has to redeem himself. Not only from the audience that thinks that Pete has become a real a**hole, but also he has to redeem himself to MJ by the end of the movie. He throws her down, and he messes around with another girl. That's some pretty serious stuff he's going to have to deal with.

Of course I think that by the end Pete and MJ will have everything straightened out...maybe. So I'm more interested to see whether or not Pete can redeem himself to MJ. Cuz the rest of us here on the boards pretty much know what Pete's going to go through in the suit.

Jubba said:
he will be redeemed...the only way that he wouldn't be redeemed would be if they had a huge cliffhanger for a part 4...which they like won't

Like, let's get out of here, Scoob!

Any darkness displayed by Spidey Black Suit should be clearly shown to be coming from his own inner self. The Symbiote brings it out of him, but does not itself create the darkness. (The latter is a cop-out, in my opinion).

Good thread, I agree with everyone that says they shouldn't totally redeem him. Peter is NOT perfect and neither is Spiderman, let's have a movie that makes people really think about the words "With great power, comes and even greater responsibility". Sometimes you live up to the responsibility, sometimes you don't.

slmon said:
Any darkness displayed by Spidey Black Suit should be clearly shown to be coming from his own inner self. The Symbiote brings it out of him, but does not itself create the darkness. (The latter is a cop-out, in my opinion).
Tobey actually said something like that in the preview clip.

Angry Sentinel said:
Good thread, I agree with everyone that says they shouldn't totally redeem him. Peter is NOT perfect and neither is Spiderman, let's have a movie that makes people really think about the words "With great power, comes and even greater responsibility". Sometimes you live up to the responsibility, sometimes you don't.

i don't like thinking about those words...i hope we don't have to hear them another ten times in this movie, too....i get tired of them

slmon said:
the darkness inside peter comes out, and it changes him, peter might reedeem himself, he might not, we will have to wait and see.

His attitude might go back to normal, where he is a nice and caring guy. But that isn't necessarily going to win the audience or MJ back. And I don't think that defeating Sandman and Venom will redeem him either. I think Peter needs to get the hell beaten out of him. He needs to be close to death and he needs to admit that he made the mistake of letting his ego take control..not just the symbiote. And then Harry can step in at the battle royal and help him out.

spidermanhero12 said:
the darkness inside peter comes out, and it changes him, peter might reedeem himself, he might not, we will have to wait and see.

Why do you always post the most obvious things??

Mr. Stay Puft said:
His attitude might go back to normal, where he is a nice and caring guy. But that isn't necessarily going to win the audience or MJ back. And I don't think that defeating Sandman and Venom will redeem him either. I think Peter needs to get the hell beaten out of him. He needs to be close to death and he needs to admit that he made the mistake of letting his ego take control..not just the symbiote. And then Harry can step in at the battle royal and help him out.
venom will beat the crap out of spidey, no doubt about that, peter let the symbiote over power him, he didnt do it himself, since there qwill probably be more sequals, he probably wont reedeem himself until the last movie, but, you never know.

I think Pete will get that beating. Just looking at him in that scene in the trailer where he reaches up shows that. If there's one good thing that will put your ego in check, it's a good butt whoopin.

I really doubt they will leave a huge cliffhanger, or Tobey wouldn't be talking about not coming back. Unless he just wants a bigger paycheck...but anyway, I think by the end of the movie, Harry's death will be a huge wake up call for Pete.

rockportspidey said:
I think Pete will get that beating. Just looking at him in that scene in the trailer where he reaches up shows that. If there's one good thing that will put your ego in check, it's a good butt whoopin.

I really doubt they will leave a huge cliffhanger, or Tobey wouldn't be talking about not coming back. Unless he just wants a bigger paycheck...but anyway, I think by the end of the movie, Harry's death will be a huge wake up call for Pete.
im sure there will be a cliff hanger, it would be a nice treat.

I think the movie needs to have more closure than cliff hangers. Lord knows that I don't want another ending like X-Men The Last Stand had. It just leaves way too much open. And if this is the last Spider-Man movie Tobey does, then it needs to have a good helping of closure.

Mr. Stay Puft said:
I think the movie needs to have more closure than cliff hangers. Lord knows that I don't want another ending like X-Men The Last Stand had. It just leaves way too much open. And if this is the last Spider-Man movie Tobey does, then it needs to have a good helping of closure.

Indeed. You don't want to leave off with a cliffhanger not knowing if your director and main stars are even going to come back or not. It's just not kosher dude.

Or course he will...all superheroes do.

chaseter said:
Or course he will...all superheroes do.

How do you think he's going to? I'd like to hear your prediction on it.

^^^ I agree. Please..give us the details on how exactly he will do this. :yay:

November Rain said:
I take this as the subconcious switch that returned his abilities full time...

he saved the girl but it would seem that a kidnapped loved one holds a higher means of importance than potentiallly helpless burning children :down

not to mention his own safety as shown by plummeting down to earth on three separate occations.

Remember right after he saved the girl from the fire in SM2, he overheard 2 firefighters talking? One mentioned a "poor soul" who didn't make it out. When you saw Peter's downcast expression, we were meant to understand, I think, that he got that had his powers been fully functional, he would have sensed the other person and been fast enough to save both people. Also, some people talked about the alley scene which he passed on by. Even if he doubted his effectiveness, even a half-assed Spider-man is better than an ordinary man coming to the rescue.

I'm more of a movie person than a comic person, but I've gotta say that I find MJ to be way too prominent in the movie series. And the example of Peter not caring too much about anyone or anything else besides her seriously bugs. As some of you mentioned, it took the threat of losing her to get him to stop psychologically suppressing his powers. *hint* She's not that great, Parker. I think a middle ground has to be struck between, say, Batman's forgettable, one-shot girl du jour (except for Catwoman) and Spidey's MJ - his near equal in the movie series. She's too important and this emphasis on Peter/MJ angst is making this series almost a chick flick one. And I'm a girl (woman)! I hope she's less important this time around.

Some spoke of Peter being thrashed by Venom as a possible sign of his getting his comeuppance and giving the audience a chance to show they're back on his side fully. Actually, if Venom is well-written, the plot serves the character well and Topher is pretty good, I think a good chunk of the audience (young males, anyway) are going to be pulling for a Venom win (or at least a near Venom win). Honestly, if Eddie is written sympathetically, then he'll be just another person that Parker treats shabbily. Actually, Parker was pretty shabby with the symbiote, too. If my limited comic knowledge serves, it only became a problem once he rejected it.

slmon said:
Some spoke of Peter being thrashed by Venom as a possible sign of his getting his comeuppance and giving the audience a chance to show they're back on his side fully. Actually, if Venom is well-written, the plot serves the character well and Topher is pretty good, I think a good chunk of the audience (young males, anyway) are going to be pulling for a Venom win (or at least a near Venom win). Honestly, if Eddie is written sympathetically, then he'll be just another person that Parker treats shabbily. Actually, Parker was pretty shabby with the symbiote, too. If my limited comic knowledge serves, it only became a problem once he rejected it.

THANK YOU!!! :woot: My exact feelings on this situation! Perfect! The only way Peter is going to get the support of the audience once again is after he gets a heavy beating from Venom and/or Sandman. And you can't blame Eddie/Venom for wanting to kick the crap out of Parker. Pete is going to be a jerk for most of the movie and is going to be hitting on Eddie's woman. Peter deserves a butt whooping. So after he get his "comeuppance" as you put it, then the audience will be willing to support him again after he's learned his lesson.

There is darkness in every single human being on the planet. "Good" people just manage to keep it in check. Now it's not Peter's fault that he UNWILLINGLY became the host to an alien symbiotic life form that prevents you from keeping your darkness in check. He will be "redeemed" when -even under the influence of the suit- he understands what it's doing to him and CONSCIOUSLY gets rid of it. And he proceeds to do what he's done for years now, selflessly fighting to ensure other people's safety and well-being. I don't see the need for a great in-your-face redeeming scene, and I doubt the audience will need one. I'm not saying there won't be one, though.

peter will reedeem himself by the end of the movie, no doubt about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"