Civil War Winter is Coming - The Bucky Barnes Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would hope that Marvel would not leave a major plot thread from that movie just hanging in the wind. See this is why people have concerns about this movie. CA:TWS is the ONLY movie where we were left with a plot thread that just isn't going to be resolved anytime soon. That would be very problematic for not only for this movie, it would be problematic for this franchise and the charaterization of Captain America in this medium.

I mean think about it: CA:TWS ends with 2 cliffhangers, both of them involve Bucky. TWS gave off the idea that Bucky was going to be an important player in the universe, especially the Cap branch of the MCU. He's the only antagonist character in Phase 2 that actually leaves an impression on the audience. That is because HE is the catalyst for EVERYTHING that happens to Cap in his franchise.

So I'm supposed to believe that Steve Rogers would not only leave the friend he had for almost a century hanging in order to go punch Iron Man over a convoluted law that was probably going to end up getting repealed anyway? Miss me with that!

Look I know it would be cool to see Captain America and Ironman fight. I know it would be super rad for Spiderman to be swinging around in an Iron Spider suit. But not at the expense of the franchise's arc or betraying who Steve Rogers is as a character.

We don't know enough about Civil War to know what impact Bucky will have on it. He could have a big impact on the story and would likely side with Cap.

I never thought after CA: TWS, fangirls would get so invested and fall in love with this character.

I hope he does have some impactful role because I'm curious to see what the Russos will do with him next.

Marvel knows this character is a fangirl favourite and will give him a vital role in the movie.

'Fall in love' is an understatement. Go on Tumblr and search 'bucky barnes'. His fan following is HUGE. And most of those fangirls believe that Cap3 should *only* be about Steve searching for Bucky. They aren't interested in anything else.

tumblr_nlh4wprVx41r2y50ho1_400.jpg

Sebastian Stan has a Winter Soldier-themed playlist. XD

'Fall in love' is an understatement. Go on Tumblr and search 'bucky barnes'. His fan following is HUGE. And most of those fangirls believe that Cap3 should *only* be about Steve searching for Bucky. They aren't interested in anything else.

From narrative standpoint, and with Bucky's story heavily woven into Cap's story, it's a legit desire to have CW centered on Bucky.

He is arguably Cap's primary motive and catalyst through the first two films...and Bucky still needs redemption to complete his and Cap's story and arc.

This article has a paragraph which talks about Sebastian Stan's role in CW:

http://www.vulture.com/2015/03/sebastian-stan-nude-sex-scene-the-bronze.html

Stan will soon have to report for duty for Captain America: Civil War, where he'll be reprising his role as the conflicted Winter Soldier. Has he seen a script yet? "You know, I have, actually, believe it or not!" he said, sounding as surprised as anyone. We wondered whether there'd be much room for his character in a Captain America sequel that adds Iron Man, Black Panther, Spider-Man, and Hawkeye to the mix, and Stan wasn't willing to allay our fears. "You should figure that one out," he laughed. "I have no idea."

This article has a paragraph which talks about Sebastian Stan's role in CW:

http://www.vulture.com/2015/03/sebastian-stan-nude-sex-scene-the-bronze.html

Stan will soon have to report for duty for Captain America: Civil War, where he'll be reprising his role as the conflicted Winter Soldier. Has he seen a script yet? "You know, I have, actually, believe it or not!" he said, sounding as surprised as anyone. We wondered whether there'd be much room for his character in a Captain America sequel that adds Iron Man, Black Panther, Spider-Man, and Hawkeye to the mix, and Stan wasn't willing to allay our fears. "You should figure that one out," he laughed. "I have no idea."

I would bet my newly bought home that he knows his role and how big it is.

All MCU actors/actresses are under a Studio-mandated gag order. After laughing, of course he is going to say he has no idea. In every interview, be it him, Bettany, Ruffalo, etc, all mention they "don't know", "Marvel snipers", or they get uncomfortable/shifty.

Hes not gonna divulge anything. We know hes in the movie and he has a long contract so expect Bucky to be around for awhile.

Hes not gonna divulge anything. We know hes in the movie and he has a long contract so expect Bucky to be around for awhile.

I expect him to be in several more movies but long Marvel contracts mean nothing in terms if a character will be used. They are completely one-sided in Marvel's favor to lock in actors and keep down their salary if they want to use them. Stan has said he didn't even know he was going to be in another movie after TFA until the title for TWS was publicly announced.

He has that long of a contract because when he signed it at an actor he had very little leverage not because they wanted or had plans for him as an actor (or character) for longer than any other not named SLJ (who signed a 9 film contract because he darn well wanted it)

These long contracts are basically RDJ insurance. They learned the hard [$$$] way that having to renegotiate when you later realize you want an actor for more (and more) movies can be very expensive. Of course they've wound up renegotiating with some of their bigger stars any way because that always happens in the industry when movies hit big but those actors don't have the leverage RDJ has not just in star power and the $ his movies bring in but in that they are still under contract.

Last edited:
From narrative standpoint, and with Bucky's story heavily woven into Cap's story, it's a legit desire to have CW centered on Bucky.

He is arguably Cap's primary motive and catalyst through the first two films...and Bucky still needs redemption to complete his and Cap's story and arc.

CW should be centered on Steve and I can't agree at all that his story is primarily about Bucky or that Bucky is his catalyst as a hero or a character. Bucky is Steve's sidekick not the other way around. Bucky is just one facet of Steve's story in the MCU, just as the Winter Soldier story in the comics is just one story in decades worth of Steve Roger's story and as we've seen from TWS they even expanded that story to be about far more than Bucky as TWS to the extent that The Winter Soldier in the title was more about Steve than Bucky.

Last edited:
This movie is going to be huge, I think this may be the first MS film to truly push the 3hr bench mark.

That'd be freaking awesome three hours of Stark v Rogers seasoned with Black Panther and Spider-Man toppings and lined with a nice Winter Soldier frosting.

So I'm thinking this may actually open with Falcon and Steve finding Winter Soldier, and trying to convince him to come join the New Avengers team or something along those lines. It'd be really cool to start of a heart felt moment between Cap and Bucky. Perhpas Bucky see's Falcon and disagrees assuming Cap replaced him with Falcon.

I'm curious to see if Bucky might wear the domino mask in this film since in TWS he had eye-shadow for just one scene the rooftop chase
hiifsht.jpg

I'm curious to see if Bucky might wear the domino mask in this film since in TWS he had eye-shadow for just one scene the rooftop chase
hiifsht.jpg
Is it just me or does the angle of that photo make his proportions look......wrong??? He looks really top heavy or something there

(though it could just be me and my lack of enough sleep brain)

I hope they keep the look already established in Captain America: TWS with Bucky with slight alteration but nothing drastic as he looks sensational and particularly accurate to his comic book counterpart.

a6l6244.jpg

Bucky has never been a true sidekick in the MCU, and should be even less of one in CW. he's a major player in Cap's history and ongoing story. hopefully his screen-time in CW is on par with Falcon's in TWS!

Last edited:
I hope they keep the look already established in Captain America: TWS with Bucky with slight alteration but nothing drastic as he looks sensational and particularly accurate to his comic book counterpart.

a6l6244.jpg

I wouldn't mind him having a shorter haircut and giving him a more "patriotic" star. Other than that, his costume is absolutely perfect as-is and I don't they don't mess with it.

Yeah his costume was great I hope they don't change it much if at all.

I wonder if Bucky regains his memories and by that I mean he remembers everything about himself about his life and then if he does it should be interesting to see whose side he will ultimately fall on but seeing The Winter Soldier have fight scenes too in this movie I can't wait to see that too

Even since Brubaker re-invented bucky. .he has been one of my fave character. ..

wanna see more bro-mance between steve and bucky in CW!!

I read somewhere else on this board someone suggest Wanda be the one help him regain his memories. I think that would be absolutely perfect. Also I want to see him bond with Natasha over their common background being used as weapons. I know it's too late for them to have a shared history, but I want them to build towards a Widow/Bucky pairing as that was always a favorite of mine from the comics.

I want to see him interact with Falcon some as well. Both being Cap's "main bro" will probably give them something to talk about.

I read somewhere else on this board someone suggest Wanda be the one help him regain his memories. I think that would be absolutely perfect. Also I want to see him bond with Natasha over their common background being used as weapons. I know it's too late for them to have a shared history, but I want them to build towards a Widow/Bucky pairing as that was always a favorite of mine from the comics.

Me too, the Male equivalent of Black Widow IS Winter Soldier and the stories pretty much write themselves. I wish they would've cut out that Banner/Romanov stuff in AoU. Oh well though, maybe it can be a love triangle now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"