Worried About X3? Post Your Misgivings Here

AVEITWITHJAMON

Badass Cloud
Reaction score
Do you have complaints or worries about how certain things are being handled in X3? Post them here for discussion. All opinions are welcome and should be respected. --Lightning Strikez!

I just think that all of the problems with the movie will ultimately effect it greatly. Even after the great trailer, i still feel that this movie will turn out poor. Here are the main reasons

-I have never watched a movie by Ratner that i have really enjoyed, though i have not seen Red Dragon. But most of his movies dont get good reviews either.
-The running time is a big worry for me, with all this movie has to deal with, and all of the characters, i cant help but feel we are just going to get a dumb action fest with a few deaths. I mean look at Serenity, it had ten main characters, was 1hr 54 mins long, and still some characters had a lot less screen time than they deserved. So imagine what x3 will be like with a similar runtime.
-The deaths are another one, i wont go into them as everyone knows them
-The writers: I didnt know Kinberg wrote XXX2, Catwoman and Charlie's Angels 2, i've also heard Mr and Mrs Smith is only average. That three terrible movies hes written, along with having some involvment on the bad FF movie. Penn also wrote the terrible Elektra movie. Yes Penn was involved in X2, but he wasnt a writer, the story idea was his and thats it.
-The changes in Director have also been unsettling, I was gutted Singer left, and still am.
-The choice of story, it is just a re-hash of X2 with the Pheonix thrown in, judging from what i have seen so far. Even then it is same great Pheonix story from the cartoons, so many good parts of the story will be missed out on. I'm happy they havent included the Shi'ar. but a lot of good stuff they could have put in will be missing.
-The rushed production time. Fox did this with Fantastic Four, and look how that movie turned out, it wasnt the best, and i am getting the same vibe from X3. Fox is crap studio that just rushes out movies so they can make as much money as soon as possible. If it wasnt for Singer, we wouldnt be having any X-sequels. He made a good movie out of crap situation with the first one.
-The costumes also have me worried. I'll admit Juggarnaut has grown on me, as i thought it was bad at first but i am warming up to it. But i dont like the Beast costume at all, it has not convinced me in any way, shape or form so far. Even Mystique looks a little different IMO, and not in a good way. Some of the others dont look the best either.

Please people i am not trying to troll here, so dont jump on my back. I'm just worried that a movie about some of my all time favourite characters will turn out bad. IF the movie does turn out good come May 26th, i will eat humble pie with a big stupid smile on my face and be the happiest person ever.

Your worries are valid, and I can understand why you would be worry...but here on my opinions on some things:

- Watch Red Dragon, and Family Man...two of his best films, that aren't non-stop action/ comedy :up:

- The screenwriters said they aren't looking at a set time yet. Whatever the film ends up being, will be after everything is edited.

- Kinberg didn't fully write any of the films you mentioned, besides Mr & Mrs Smith. He was brought in for re-visions, but the original scripts were crap to being with :p

- The story is slightly similar to X2, but barely, IMO. X3 is about a cure. X2 was about killing all the mutants through Dark Cerebro. Also, I don't believe the President told Stryker to kill all the mutants. Stryker had his own personal vendetta against mutants, because his son killed his mother (Stryker's wife).

- Yes, Fox tends to rush their big comic-book films, for some strange reason. That's true :o It still in no way is a sign that the film is going to suck. It's been this way since the beginning (read my signature), and look how X1/X2 turned out? And how they (mostly X2) got critical praise? Brian helped build this franchise, but the quality of the franchise does not rest soley in Bryan's hands.

- Beast's costume in X3 is an early costume from the beginnings of the team, from when he was younger. The yellow's and other colors are their in part to pay small homage to the comics costumes, and also to show that it's been a long while since Beast was an X-Man. He decides towards the end he must fight with his friends, and dons his old uniform...that's why it's not updated like the other X-Men's uniform's.

Give X3 a chance! :) :D

Kinberg wrote Catwoman and Charlie's Angels 2?

And we do not know for sure about the running time. This movie will do great, IMO. It's bound to do better than X2. :up:

the a1ant said:
- Watch Red Dragon, and Family Man...two of his best films, that aren't non-stop action/ comedy
Yes, those twos are great, really. I loved Red Dragon. :up:

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
I just think that all of the problems with the movie will ultimately effect it greatly. Even after the great trailer, i still feel that this movie will turn out poor. Here are the main reasons

-I have never watched a movie by Ratner that i have really enjoyed, though i have not seen Red Dragon. But most of his movies dont get good reviews either.
I enjoyed Red Dragon. A very capable film in my eyes. Just because he hasn't set the world alight in the past doesn't mean he can't give the movie the justice it deserves. He's got a great cast and storyline to work with.

-The running time is a big worry for me, with all this movie has to deal with, and all of the characters, i cant help but feel we are just going to get a dumb action fest with a few deaths. I mean look at Serenity, it had ten main characters, was 1hr 54 mins long, and still some characters had a lot less screen time than they deserved. So imagine what x3 will be like with a similar runtime.
A lot of the critics stated 15-20 minutes should have been shaved off X2. It was a little over long. It did drag a little toward the end. The final scenes were a little convoluted because of it. With a cast this size, there are always going to be underused characters, but there's no point dragging the film out for the sake of it.

-The deaths are another one, i wont go into them as everyone knows them
The deaths could make for some fantastically powerful scenes.

-The writers: I didnt know Kinberg wrote XXX2, Catwoman and Charlie's Angels 2, i've also heard Mr and Mrs Smith is only average. That three terrible movies hes written, along with having some involvment on the bad FF movie. Penn also wrote the terrible Elektra movie. Yes Penn was involved in X2, but he wasnt a writer, the story idea was his and thats it.
They do have some turkeys, but with a lot of these scripts, things were drastically changed away from what the writers wanted.

-The changes in Director have also been unsettling, I was gutted Singer left, and still am.
It was definately a shame, but there're also plus points. Look at the true Storm we have now. Look at the vast amounts of cameos and nods. Singer would have tried to have kept the film grounded. I don't think we would have got our war.

-The choice of story, it is just a re-hash of X2 with the Pheonix thrown in, judging from what i have seen so far. Even then it is same great Pheonix story from the cartoons, so many good parts of the story will be missed out on. I'm happy they havent included the Shi'ar. but a lot of good stuff they could have put in will be missing.
The cure is very different to the mind control of X2. Sure, there's a mutant and a serum, but this is where the similarities end. The cure is a whole different kettle of fish. A lot more emotional than mind control, that's for sure.

-The rushed production time. Fox did this with Fantastic Four, and look how that movie turned out, it wasnt the best, and i am getting the same vibe from X3. Fox is crap studio that just rushes out movies so they can make as much money as soon as possible. If it wasnt for Singer, we wouldnt be having any X-sequels. He made a good movie out of crap situation with the first one.
It is rushed, but the targets are currently being hit, and there's no reason the rushed schedule will automatically result in a sloppy movie.

-The costumes also have me worried. I'll admit Juggarnaut has grown on me, as i thought it was bad at first but i am warming up to it. But i dont like the Beast costume at all, it has not convinced me in any way, shape or form so far. Even Mystique looks a little different IMO, and not in a good way. Some of the others dont look the best either.
I'm still not sure on a couple of the looks. Hopefully as the movie goes on we'll accept them.

I really don't understand people that are so quick to dismiss anything positive and give so much focus on anything that could have a chance of being negative.

AVEITWITHJAMON, considering how well you've articulated your points, would you be offended if I made this thread the offical spot for fans to post their misgivings about this project? We need a place where I can merge threads that cover onesy-twosy concerns. Let me know, thanks.

LS

My only negative feelings towards the new trailer, is the cheap text/font they use for 'The Last Stand' at the end, and the horrid text that shows the website url. :( :p

the a1ant said:
- Beast's costume in X3 is an early costume from the beginnings of the team, from when he was younger. The yellow's and other colors are their in part to pay small homage to the comics costumes, and also to show that it's been a long while since Beast was an X-Man. He decides towards the end he must fight with his friends, and dons his old uniform...that's why it's not updated like the other X-Men's uniform's.

I was talking more about the blue hair and fur, it just doesnt convince me at all. And thanks for not criticising me guys, i knew the X-fans would keep it civil.

Sorry i had to edit there, i forgot to put the NOt in front of civilised, sorry.

^ Oooooh...ok, I'm not a huge fan of Beast's look either. I think they should've made him darker, but the overall package itself is nice, for this complicated visual character.

About the rushed production, im sure it was Kinberg or Penn that said there have been many more really good movies made that have had a shorter production time than X3.

This is one thing that hasnt really worried me about this movie. The only point where i was really concerned was when matthew vaughn pulled about just a few weeks before filming began and the movie had no director.

Lightning Strikez! said:
AVEITWITHJAMON, considering how well you've articulated your points, would you be offended if I made this thread the offical spot for fans to post their misgivings about this project? We need a place where I can merge threads that cover onesy-twosy concerns. Let me know, thanks.

LS

I would not be offended at all Lightning, you go ahead no problem.

Sorry guys i'm off for the night now, i will be back in the english morning

the a1ant said:
My only negative feelings towards the new trailer, is the cheap text/font they use for 'The Last Stand' at the end, and the horrid text that shows the website url. :( :p
Yes, yes, I absolutely agree! That was messed up! :mad::mad:

_BB_ said:
About the rushed production, im sure it was Kinberg or Penn that said there have been many more really good movies made that have had a shorter production time than X3.
Yeah, I heard Saw had like eighty days to shoot and it turned out amazing. :up:

the a1ant said:
^ Oooooh...ok, I'm not a huge fan of Beast's look either. I think they should've made him darker, but the overall package itself is nice, for this complicated visual character.

I have a feeling when all is said and done, it will be Kelsey's performance in the role that will really sell the character, not necessarily the outward appearance. It will be the heart of Beast coming through in his voice, his eyes, his dialogue. He will be more than simply blue paint, some blue hair and some fangs.

Heck, you can create an absolutely flawless looking Beast, but if the person inside the suit just doesn't have what it takes to sell the character, all is for nothing.

I still don't understand this thing that these fans are going through..

A death of a couple of characters,...why would it hurt the quality of the movie?..

-TNC

the a1ant said:

I know! I personally think they should have gone the X2 route and done the doors with a 3 on it . But i guess they kind of established the logo early on and it's to late to change it. Here's to hoping that by the next trailer they'll have a better Logo or text or or something...:o :down

Re: I have never watched a movie by Ratner that i have really enjoyed....
--There's always a FIRST!
Re: The running time...all of the characters...
--I think this movie will respect fan's knowledge and the general public's intelligence by not going into great detail for every mutant.
Re: The deaths...
--You should put deaths in quotes ("deaths")!
RE: The writers...
--As with Ratner, there's always a FIRST!
Re: The changes in Director...
--Change and a fresh take can be good...Thankfully George Lucas didn't direct "Empire Strikes Back"! This movie seems to be shaping up like a "perfect storm."
Re: The choice of story...
--In my ideal world, we would get the whole Phoenix saga with Mastermind, Hellfire Club, Emma Frost and a slow seduction of Phoenix. But that would take a TV miniseries, and they seem to be doing a good job of condesning the key elements.
Re: The rushed production time...
--All I know is when I have a tight deadline I do my best work. How long has Superman been in development? A decade? Was all that time wisely spent?
Re: If it wasnt for Singer, we wouldnt be having any X-sequels...
--Who knows? Singer did a great job with context, relationships and story-building, but I would've liked more action and seeing the X-Men fight as a team (i.e. "Fastball Special.") And after seeing the trailer, I can't say Ratner wouldn't have made X1 or X2 better than Singer!
Re: The costumes...
--I am in a minority on this in that I woulda preferred more "yellow spandex" to keep the comic iconography.
AVEITWITHJAMON said:
I'm just worried that a movie about some of my all time favourite characters will turn out bad. IF the movie does turn out good come May 26th, i will eat humble pie with a big stupid smile on my face and be the happiest person ever.
No need to eat humble pie cuz you're not saying "THIS MOVIE WILL BE BAD," you are just worried, and I can relate. After I almost walked out on the first "Batman" (when Joker was splattering paint on artwork set to some Prince song), I learned not to get high hopes for my favorite superheroes being portrayed well in movies. And I haven't been CRAZY about ANY superhero movie since...But this one I am letting my guard down and have very HIGH HOPES!! :)
P.S. You may have forgotten to mention Halle Berry, or maybe her presence in the trailer helped alleviate concerns about her! :)

TNC9852002 said:

A death of a couple of characters,...why would it hurt the quality of the movie?..

-TNC

Just had to comment on the avatar.....*snort* Good stuff.

Oh, and I agree with what you say too.

Character deaths add to the feeling of the film. If there were no deaths, how do you get the audience to feel much of anything besides "Wow, neat effects!!!!" You get no sense of urgency or drama if you go in beforehand knowing that each character is going to make it at the end. "Ooo, looks like a really bad situation, but he'll be fine. But the effects are cool though...."

It's like watching an episode of the old Batman series from the sixties. At the end of the episode it looks like Batman and Robin are surely going to be boiled alive, or cut in half...but you know darn well the following week, they will be just fine, and they will win the day.

I want to be sucked in and sit on the edge of my seat. I want to know that even the so-called "heroes" don't necessarily win every battle, and sometimes they don't go home at the end of the day. (wait...isn't that what Wolverine said to Iceman?)

There will never be a total consensus of love or hate against anything, just grin and bear it and see if you like it when it comes out.

Jan Irisi said:
It's like watching an episode of the old Batman series from the sixties. At the end of the episode it looks like Batman and Robin are surely going to be boiled alive, or cut in half...but you know darn well the following week, they will be just fine, and they will win the day.
LOL! :D

TNC9852002 said:

-TNC
You know, there are some crazy people that prefer movies with important, meaningful evants :p unlike some episode of Gilligan's Island where at the end everything is exactly the way it was at the beggining

**********POSSIBLE SPOILERS***********

From everything I have read about this movie, Jean just wipes Cyclops out of existence, poof he's gone---and that's it. That's why you see his glasses spinning in the promo in front of Wolverine.

Marsden has been mediocre at best in the movies, but that still doesn't mean I want to see an iconic X-MEN figure like Cyclops killed off so callously. They are killing him off like a punk, instead of as a hero. I would have a hard time getting past that part of the movie. If true, it would probably ruin the movie for me.

I know Masden had limited shooting availability due to Superman Returns, but the writers could've been much more creative. They could've had Cyke leave the team to grieve after a funeral for Jean(a la Uncanny X-men #138) and then have him return at the end of the movie to save Wolverines butt during the big final battle.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't get past the feeling that this movies going to be a disastor.

is it a great film?
is it a terrible film?
its probably somewhere in between
go in expecting that
and you will most likely be pleasantly surprised

cyclops is RUMORED to be killed off
if they planned him to come to the rescue at the last minute
do you think they would give that away in the trailer ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"