Bryan Singer's X-Men 3

kg576094 said:
Wow that's the lamest interpretation of the Phoenix personality if that's what the writers really intended, pls don't degrade the Phoenix any futher from the all-powerful cosmic entity to such a state of wimpiness. If Magneto is a powerful mutant the Phoenix is freakingly a Goddess (albet an very evil one). I would have liken what you say if the Phoenix wasn't a Level 5 mutant with immersely superior psychic and telepathic abilities! That's why I absolutely hated the mental block explanation and caged beast analogy because of how it perfectly fit the description of a madwoman just escaping from a mental institution going home to kill her husband and daddy who's trying to help her (misinterpreted as caging her), but ran off with their enemy instead who's obviously trying to make use of her (misinterpreted as helping her). Why should she even be afraid of being controlled, fixed, caged or cured when she's vastly more powerful than anyone in the whole universe. Can a Goddess be controlled, fixed, caged or even cured? You know what, after killing Xavier the Phoenix should have gone back to the mansion and mind-wipe Wolverine and Storm to be her domestic slaves. Now that's really what a really evil Goddess will do instead of walking ard doing nothing and looking confused.
i some what agree with you yes her powers were wimpy adn she need the firey pheonix around her and should have killed her self to show that jena had a lot of will power and should have flowin into space adn destroy a planet cause the whol world destrcution not just on a small island on alcatraz and she looked like a zombie in the comentaries the say yea we really tried to connect with the second me well i didnt see it in the phoenix but i think theh split personality is more realistic adn that was the only thing i liked about hte phoenix in x men 3

X-Maniac said:
Without meaning to sound rude, it's been asked and anwered countless times. If you read this thread, you will see what he intended. Read it and discover!

I read it all in some detail a time ago. It's just hard to find anything when the main topic seems to have deviated from 'what it could have been' to 'everything Singer/ Ratner did wrong in their interpretations'; hence the request for a compilation post. Thanks for the help, though.

When did Bryan Singer ever say X3 would be James and Famke's movie?

Here are some of the things that still bother me about X3.

Magneto inconsistently showing no compassion towards one of his best friends(Mystique) who got cured and showing compassion towards the death of one of his enemies(Xavier).

Jean irrationally killing off Cyclops.

The 2 second scene in which Xavier tells Logan and Oro to go to Akali Lake without any further explaination. WTH?!!!!

Magneto's convincing Jean to join his group brotherhood by saying "Come with me".

Magneto not being afraid of Jean joining his group after she just killed one of her friends(Xavier).

Jean's unclear motivation for joining Magneto's group. Unless acting like a zombie and doing almost nothing around the brotherhood for the rest of the film was her motivation.

Magneto wanting Jean to stay with the brotherhood after Callisto warns him that she is dangerous and after Jean threatens Magneto with the cure needles.

Magneto hiring an army of mutants who have useless powers.

Jean standing around in the end battle scene doing nothing for the majority.

Jean inconsistently killing everyone when she is threatened by the marines behind her with the cure guns but, not killing anyone at the beginning of the attack when she was also threatened by the same marines firing their cure guns at her, Magneto, and his army.

Jean hurting Logan but, not killing him. She killed Xavier because he threatened her by trying to get into her mind but, she was not threatened after reading Wolverine's mind in the final scene?!!!!

Using the mutant cure as a plot device to push the movie forward and then show it's irrelevance in the final scene with Eric at a park.

The horrible looking wire work of beast at the end. Those scenes reminded me of the killer rabbit scene from Monty Python and the holy grail.

Magneto deciding to waste his army on something he, Jean, or the both of them could have done all by themselves.

Theweepeople said:
Magneto inconsistently showing no compassion towards one of his best friends(Mystique) who got cured and showing compassion towards the death of one of his enemies(Xavier).

Kind of what he did in X-Men? "Still unwilling to make sacrifice... that's what makes you weak."

That's a sign of disrespect. Yet, in the very same movie:

"I will give you hope, old friend."

"Doesn't it ever wake you in the middle of the night. The feeling that one day they will pass that foolish law and come for you, and your children, and take you all away."

Compassion, disrespect, all in the same movie.

Your problem isn't a problem with the film. It's your inability to comprehend having respect for an enemy. It's your inability to comprehend complexities in human emotions. And it's your inability to comprehend what actually is shown to you on screen, when Magneto does show regret and sorrow for his loss. But... Mystique isn't human now, she's no longer one of them, and she's no longer part of his cause. It's a show of how extreme his bigotry for humanity has become. It's a problem with your own abilities of comprehension, not with the film.

Theweepeople said:
Jean irrationally killing off Cyclops.

Okay, you're right here. Jean's use of power awoke the Phoenix persona, but against Wolverine, Xavier, and Alcatraz, Phoenix only became hostile when provoked. Cyclops did nothing to provoke her. This was simply a move to get Cyclops out of the way, because he was being written out from the beginning. Whatever the motivations, it was horrible for the story.

That said, it wasn't movie ruining.

Theweepeople said:
The 2 second scene in which Xavier tells Logan and Oro to go to Akali Lake without any further explaination. WTH?!!!!

There isn't any further explanation because the NEXT SCENE, in which Wolverine and Storm go to Alkali Lake, is supposed to give us the explanation of why they are there, of what happened! That scene was merely to show that something bad happened with Jean and Scott. Xavier needed to send the X-Men to check it out, because he felt a disturbance. The scene where they arrive at Alkali Lake is supposed to give us more info into that. But what exactly happened was meant to be a mystery, until what we see what she does to Xavier, then we realize what it is happened to Cyclops.

Suspense. And building of it. Again, your inability to comprehend that. Not an error of the film.

Theweepeople said:
Magneto's convincing Jean to join his group brotherhood by saying "Come with me".

Jean was lost and confused. She was already lost and confused over what happened to Scott. She was not lost and confused over what happened to Xavier. Phoenix wouldn't go back to the mansion, where she'd be controlled. Magneto offered Jean comfort and support in her time of crisis. He also removed her, in her very vulnerable state, before Wolverine and Storm could get there to confront Magneto and Jean. In her weak and vulnerable state, Jean went.

People do things like that when they are weak and vulnerable.

Again, your inability to comprehend what was on the screen. Not an error of the film.

Theweepeople said:
Magneto not being afraid of Jean joining his group after she just killed one of her friends(Xavier).

Magneto was very afraid of her. But, he wanted her and his side, not against him. And he showed that he wanted to allow her to be free. He didn't want to cage her. He encouraged her to be who she was. Hence, he was able to convince her to fight for his cause. He was safe. But he was still very afraid. And that was shown.

Again, your inability to comprehend what's put right there in front of your face. Not an error of the film.

Theweepeople said:
Jean's unclear motivation for joining Magneto's group. Unless acting like a zombie and doing almost nothing around the brotherhood for the rest of the film was her motivation.

Her motivation? She had no home. In Xavier's home, she'd be caged On her own, she'd be alone. Magneto gave her a home, and encouraged her to be who she was. He didn't want to control her, or keep her on a leash. He didn't want to tame her. He wanted her to be herself, in all of her glory. Because to him, she was the epitome of perfection. In his mind, mutants are superior. And she is the strongest one. She is the "next stage of evolution", mutation at it's highest peak. And he convinced her that the cure was meant for all mutants, a threat to her as well as him. Hence, she was convinced to join his cause.

Again, your inability to see what was explicity stated to you on screen. Not an error of the film.

Theweepeople said:
Magneto wanting Jean to stay with the brotherhood after Callisto warns him that she is dangerous and after Jean threatens Magneto with the cure needles.

Because Magneto believed that he could get her to fight for them. He wanted her to stay because he wanted her on his side. Why is this so hard to figure out?

After she threatened him with cure needles, that's even more reason to want her on your side instead of against you.

Your own comprehension deficiencies, not an error of the film.

Theweepeople said:
Magneto hiring an army of mutants who have useless powers.

Magneto is building an underground mutant resistance. He does not control a nation in which he can find and train the best soldiers. He's convincing regular, everyday mutants to join his cause. To take a stand, to form a revolution against the establishment. You don't recruit highly trained soldiers for this kind of thing. This is a movement of the people.

This is your inability to comprehend how revolutions and protests are organized, not an error of the film.

Theweepeople said:
Jean standing around in the end battle scene doing nothing for the majority.

Because she won't be controlled.

She wants to stop the cure because she lusts for power. Not because she cares about other mutants. Therefore, she reacts when directly threatened. Perhaps that deleted scene needed to stay in, that showed her refusing Magneto's orders to stop the military. But it wasn't. But it should be pretty obvious that her intentions are much more selfish and lustful, and that she does not care to protect other people, only her own lust for power.

Not an error of the film, an error in your capability to comprehend the story.

Theweepeople said:
Jean inconsistently killing everyone when she is threatened by the marines behind her with the cure guns but, not killing anyone at the beginning of the attack when she was also threatened by the same marines firing their cure guns at her, Magneto, and his army.

Those guns were never fired at her. They were fired at Magneto's army. Since she was not directly threatened, she does not care.

The needles that were fired at the bridge, Magneto protected them.

Phoenix was unleashed when she had reflex reaction to the cure darts being fired directly towards her from behind. That's when Phoenix was unleashed, and the destruction began.

The earlier cure darts were not fired at her. They were not a direct threat. They did not require a use of Jean's power that would unleash Phoenix.

Not that complicated. The fact that you can't figure these things out show that you are either:

A. Unable to comprehend simple concepts presented to you blatantly

or

B. Have such a personal agenda against this film that you refuse to see what's presented to you blatantly.

Theweepeople said:
Jean hurting Logan but, not killing him. She killed Xavier because he threatened her by trying to get into her mind but, she was not threatened after reading Wolverine's mind in the final scene?!!!!

Who says she read his mind? Jean was an immortal in comparrison to Wolverine, or any other mutant. He had the audacity to march up to her and try to stop her. She thought he was going to die for them, the X-Men. She toyed with him, because she knew she could kill him at any time; "You would die for them?" It wasn't until he said "No, not for them. For you" that Jean was able to come back. Xavier was dead. Phoenix could no longer be controlled. The only answer was to kill Jean.

Simple concepts. Your own personal inefficiencies, not the film's.

Theweepeople said:
Using the mutant cure as a plot device to push the movie forward and then show it's irrelevance in the final scene with Eric at a park.

Very ambiguis. But with the final scenes of Rogue and Mystique, and them being shown as "cured", I come to the conclussion that Magneto is too powerful for the cure. Afterall, this film introduced mutant class levels... Magneto was established as a 4. Leech's power level wasn't established, but I do not for a second believe he is as powerful as Magneto.

Leech's DNA simply put cannot permantly supress a mutant as powerful as Magneto. "Weaker" mutants like Mystique and Rogue will remain cured. But a powerful class 4? His powers will come back. Mutants being too powerful for serums was established in X2: "But this little serum won't work on you. You're much too powerful for that" (Stryker to Xavier; mutant mind control serum)

Theweepeople said:
The horrible looking wire work of beast at the end. Those scenes reminded me of the killer rabbit scene from Monty Python and the holy grail.

As opposed to the great, absolutley not fake looking, wirework of the Wolverine vs. Lady Deathstrike fight in X2? That sequence had some of the worst wirework ever. I am not a fan of that sequence because of how bad it is. I've seen WWE matches that look more realistic, and less choreographed than that.

Theweepeople said:
Magneto deciding to waste his army on something he, Jean, or the both of them could have done all by themselves.

And then there wouldn't be much of a movie, would there?

Why, in Terminator 2, was the T-1000 sent back to when John Connor was already born, and Sarah Connor knew about the Terminators? Why not go back again to before John was born, to a point before Sarah would have known about the Terminators, to catch them off guard, and less prepared? Kyle Reese could only suceed against Terminators so many times before eventually John Connor would be destroyed...

But no, the machines went back to a time when Sarah Connor would have been prepared for the Terminators, after an experience with them, and knew better how to fight them. Oh, Terminator 2 is such a ****ty movie because the machines had a horrible plan!

Again, this is your inability to comprehend simple storytelling techniques, not an error of the film.

All your points suck. Try again tomorrow.

The Guard said:
Wimpiness? We are talking about the same character right? The one that...every time she was threatened...put a serious whooping on whoever did it, or scared the crap out of them? The one that was disingitrating almost everything and everyone with a thought at the end of X3? The one with the godlike powers?
She's a wimp, why? attacked only when provoked...yeah rite like a caged animal, and when the soldiers only fired a few cure darts at her and there she was losing control of herself wiping out even half of the army of the Brotherhood she had been following in the process - it's almost like she got so scared and dont know what to do when daddy Mag wasn't around to give her a home or stroke her ego urging her to do something useful....Oh pls!
Mind u, our dear Mag had gone thru the Holocaust probably seen his parent and countryman killed, was imprisoned thru-out X2 in a plastic prison being mind-controlled and tortured by a dumb guard...and did he even blinked his eyes after being fired a few thousands of cure darts ?

You know what..we could have gotten an awesome classical villians in comics book movies like Darth Vader in Star Wars, Zod in superman 2, Catwoman in Batman return or Venom in spiderman 3 but what did we get - a scatterhead with a few loose wire who isn't here nor there c'mon Famke Janssen is an amazing actress and she deserve better than this walking zombie villian role!

God, some of you people have far too much time on your hands...

^ Yea i'm kinda just giving up on the debating thing, its goes no where and becomes pointless. :)

yeah it totally became just all about tearing apart the Last Stand by haters and lovers, and less about how we think Brian Singer would have made x3 and 4.

gambitfire said:
^ Yea i'm kinda just giving up on the debating thing, its goes no where and becomes pointless. :)

You're finally catching on young grasshoper. Don't feel bad. It only took me 6 months to finally figure this out.

xii22_loop said:
yeah it totally became just all about tearing apart the Last Stand by haters and lovers, and less about how we think Brian Singer would have made x3 and 4.

A cause lost by endless arguing!?

Isn't that the story of TLS Forum?

:p

xii22_loop said:
The first 8 or 9 pages were pretty good, probably because there was some real comments on what Singer intended. It would've helped had we had more speculations about where his first two movies were headed. We really needed some actual Singer input for this, or some really good imaginations.

As for the arguements for and against comparisons between X1,X2 and X3, I believe Threshold summed it up rather well...

Edited...
The Last Stand's flaws and faults go far beyond those trappings of the character and fanboy kind. The film, in it's most basic of forms: story, was a massive failure. The entire film was hinged upon the notion that the main plot device (the cure) was finite. When the last two scenes of the movie negated this notion, the entire film just immediatley became a waste of time.

X2 was many things to many people, but it was never a waste of time. It's story was intelligent and cool, it's characters were exciting and deep, and the messages of the film were never neglected, but never forced down your throat.

Ratner always bragged about his X-Men film was the most emotional of them all. I disagree, it was the most frantic of them all, which doesn't mean emotional. Just because everyone yells louder and cries harder, doesn't make it anymore emotional than a subtler approach.

X-Men: The Last Stand was like a chicken with it's head cut off.

Angry Sentinel said:
The first 8 or 9 pages were pretty good, probably because there was some real comments on what Singer intended. It would've helped had we had more speculations about where his first two movies were headed. We really needed some actual Singer input for this, or some really good imaginations.

As for the arguements for and against comparisons between X1,X2 and X3, I believe Threshold summed it up rather well...

I can agree with that

A lot of people are confused with Phoenix's relationship with the brotherhood/Magneto. Magneto did not attempt to "recruit" Jean into his army. He tried to persuade her to fight alongside him. There is a difference. She is the ultimate trump card but Magneto cannot play the card, Phoenix has to play it. Phoenix will choose what it does, plain and simple. Magneto put a lot of effort into gaining Phoenix's "support" not so he could use her against the humans but so that she would use herself against the humans. Magneto never commands Phoenix throughout the movie. Also, when he said "In chess the pawns go first" he also explained why he didn't pressure even pressure phoenix to engage, she was the ultimate force on that battlefield, let her make her move when she feels it necessary. Ordering the Phoenix around is a good way to get yourself vaporized.

Next, people need to stop acting like the Phoenix and Jean are two different entities. They are the same. I sort of think of Jean as the physical incarnation of the (and with full access to) phoenx force in the human body of a level 5 mutant. Jean Grey, Phoenix Force, and Phoenix imo have a "Holy Trinity" relationship within the MU.

ScarletPhoenix said:
A lot of people are confused with Phoenix's relationship with the brotherhood/Magneto. Magneto did not attempt to "recruit" Jean into his army. He tried to persuade her to fight alongside him. There is a difference. She is the ultimate trump card but Magneto cannot play the card, Phoenix has to play it. Phoenix will choose what it does, plain and simple. Magneto put a lot of effort into gaining Phoenix's "support" not so he could use her against the humans but so that she would use herself against the humans. Magneto never commands Phoenix throughout the movie. Also, when he said "In chess the pawns go first" he also explained why he didn't pressure even pressure phoenix to engage, she was the ultimate force on that battlefield, let her make her move when she feels it necessary. Ordering the Phoenix around is a good way to get yourself vaporized.

Next, people need to stop acting like the Phoenix and Jean are two different entities. They are the same. I sort of think of Jean as the physical incarnation of the (and with full access to) phoenx force in the human body of a level 5 mutant. Jean Grey, Phoenix Force, and Phoenix imo have a "Holy Trinity" relationship within the MU.

Ding ding ding!

Dan33977 said:
God, some of you people have far too much time on your hands...

Yeah... to me it's almost as if people are discussing the film X3 was supposed to be rather than what it was, a big fireworks show.

Though now I'm a little more unsure if singer's movie would have been that much better. I don't know... Part of me thinks he lacks what it takes to truly make a great film on his own without borrowing mostly from previous movies. I was shocked to see how much of wrath of khan was mirrored in X2; it kinda makes x2 unwatchable to me now.

Wesyeed said:
Yeah... to me it's almost as if people are discussing the film X3 was supposed to be rather than what it was, a big fireworks show.

Though now I'm a little more unsure if singer's movie would have been that much better. I don't know... Part of me thinks he lacks what it takes to truly make a great film on his own without borrowing mostly from previous movies. I was shocked to see how much of wrath of khan was mirrored in X2; it kinda makes x2 unwatchable to me now.
LOL!!!

Cyke *at time of cobiashi maru decision*: "JEEEEAAN!"
J T Kirk *at time of dam breaking*: "SPPPOOOCCKKKK!"

They are interchangeable....:hyper: :cwink:

britrogue said:
At least we would have had a firebird!

There are no guarantees that we would have had one. Even if Singer says we would, the finished movie can be a very different thing to an idea on paper.

I would imagine that he would have wanted a firebird at Jean's emergence from the lake and maybe at the final Alcatraz scene. But he was even more obsessed with grounding things in reality than Ratner and his crew, so we can't be sure.

A firebird effect would have make absoutely no sense whatsoever in the context of this story and Ratner's rationale for not including it makes sense.

You know the last movie had it and no one questioned it right?

Alot of things didn't make sense as it was, stop playing that card both sides. :p

Oh and if Singer did it once i'm sure he would of done it again.

^In the story that we got, a firebird effect would have been confusing and useless because Ratner and the writers didn't follow the Dark Phoenix Saga to that extent. It was an extrapolation of the Dark Phoenix Saga, which means you can adapt and interpret it whichever way you like, and Ratner felt like including a firebird effect would be too unrealistic for the universe that Singer created and I sort of agree with that.

And Singer didn't use the firebird effect in X2, he just alluded to it with fiery effects and that was it. And like X-Maniac said, we don't know for sure what Singer would've done. I mean, look at SUPERMAN RETURNS. He basically restructured the first act of that film at the last minute because he didn't like the fludity of it. Who's to say he would feel the firebird effect would also be too unrealistic and cut it too?

fine your right he wouldn't of done it and it's unrealistic.

It's also not inconsistent.

*sigh*

:whatever:

Because an army of mutants heading for alcatraz prancing about in San Fransisco not being noticed is soo real.

Not to mention the fact that there are all these ppl with incredible super powers. :hyper:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"