Bryan Singer's X-Men 3

Lazlo Panaflex

Superhero
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Singer had any ideas for X-Men 3, was he even asked back to direct? I'd imagine so seeing as how the X-Men films turned out blockbusters.

I'd imagine it would've been a massive 2 1/2 hour epic with more of the danger room and Cyclops and Prof.X would still be alive, any thoughts?

Singer would have done an X-3 and X-4 shot back to back. X-3 on the Phoenix and the Cure, X-4 on Dark Phoenix. Singer actualy told James that X-3 would be his movie to shine. But Fox was scared that a movie with James and Famke in the center was too risky for marketing purposes

I know that Singer wanted to extrapolate the Dark Phoenix Saga as the main plot of X3. He also wanted to include Emma Frost, which might've meant that the Hellfire Club would've provided a role. I don't think the cure would have played a part. It would've been Jean's resurrection, having amnesia, and then her slow turn as the Dark Phoenix.

I'm sure Nightcrawler would have returned, and we'd probably at least see either Gambit or Beast (or maybe Angel).

which makes me want to slap Fox in the face. gah. I want Singer back!

famke and james would have ruled the movie
damn u fox :mad:

Singers x3 probably wouldve been a bit better, but imo water under the bridge. X3 is the real x3 at this point imo..i dont dwell in couldves much.

I don't know what Singer's X-Men 3 would have been like, but it has been said that he wasn't going to bring Storm back. She would have been a mere cameo at best.

I don't know about you all, but I don't much like that. You can blame Fox all you want for how they didn't want Cyclops at all, they wanted him to die between movies, and how Kinberg and Penn had to fight to get him in just to have him killed off, but Singer's attitude towards Storm would have been JUST AS BAD.

As far as character treatment is concerned, either way, a very prominent, important figure to the X-Men mythos would have been screwed over.

We probably wouldn't have seen the cure, which saddens me, because I like the cure story arc, and I'm glad they went in that direction.

ntcrawler can argue all he wants that there's no "easy" solution to being a mutant, but all the talk about cures in the previous movies easily lends itself to this being a logical conclussion. Sure, it's genetic, and can't be "easily" fixed, but when a way is to easily "fix" you, it's the ultimate insult towards mutantkind.

And it's been done in the comics, so I dunno how it's not acceptable in the movies when it has comic book precedence...

I also don't think that Singer would have given us the small details, like Magneto's terrorist tape. It may be something small, but for me, it's a huge impact. That act is total Magneto, and even though small, I think it's a great addition to his character arc. I don't think we would have gotten that under Singer.

The question is, what would we have gotten under Singer that I'd say the same thing about? That "Oh, if we didn't have Singer, we wouldn't have gotten that"

I dunno, because simply put, we didn't get Singer's vision, so we'll never know.

Getting a 4th film out of the deal would have been a plus. The rumor is we would have gotten Gambit, but Gambit was in the script for the X-Men 3 we did get, and still no Gambit, so I'm not gonna count that as guaranteed. The possibility of Emma Frost would have been cool, although I'm not too distraught really that she wasn't in...

Losing Storm would have been a definate minus, a minus that's equal to the loss of Cyclops in this film. We were screwed in that department either way. The loss of the cure story arc would have been a minus as well, but who knows, Singer's story may have very well made up for that.

We just don't know anything about Singer's X-Men 3 so it's totally impossible to say it would have been "better". I think Ratner excelled in X-Men: The Last Stand in certain areas that Singer lacked. Singer excelled in certain places Ratner lacked. I think that balances out.

What we did get excells in certain things we wouldn't have gotten under Singer. What Singer would have given us excells against certain things we didn't get under Ratner.

It's just totally hard to tell. We probably would have had a completely different X-Men 3, but that doesn't neccesarily equate to better. I guess the biggest difference is that under Bryan Singer, we likely would have gotten an X-Men 4, where as now anymore movies (save for Wolverine) are all but out of the picture.

but its fun to imagine alternate versions and stuff (god knows they've made a fortune on millions of altnerate stories/universes in comic book industry)

It would have been way better than the piece of **** they gave us.

Damn, you got a piece of **** when you saw the movie? That must have been pretty messy. I'd write a nasty letter to the movie theatre you went to.

When I opened up my DVD box, there was a damned good movie inside. No pieces of **** for me!

Maybe you just got a bad copy.

Nell2ThaIzzay said:
Damn, you got a piece of **** when you saw the movie? That must have been pretty messy. I'd write a nasty letter to the movie theatre you went to.

When I opened up my DVD box, there was a damned good movie inside. No pieces of **** for me!

Maybe you just got a bad copy.

Or maybe he, like a lot of comic book fans, are disappointed in the film and feel the need to express their disappointment? :huh:

I never bought the DVD. I decided to watch the bootleg on Youtube and right now I've watched the bootleg a total of 7 times. :) Bootlegs are awesome, especially when it's a way of giving the finger to Fox and their politically motivated agenda.

Yup. It was a gigantic collective piece of **** straight from the bowels of Tim Rothman, Penn, Kinberg, and Ratner.

It was pretty damn close to the explosive diahrreic type of **** too. I mean, if you like ****ty movies, that's your prerogative, but me, I'm not a fan of ****.

What i find similar is when folks used to say cameron wouldve made a cool t3... judging from t2:3d i dunno about that, he felt retired from the franchise after t2.

With Singer i favor story, so in that department whatever he did it probably wouldve been more fleshed out. In that respect id say it wouldve been more appealing.

And im with Nell... x3 isnt a piece of crap from a standard pov. When theres all of this comic continuum etc to compare it must really suck for you guys.

XCharlieX said:
What i find similar is when folks used to say cameron wouldve made a cool t3... judging from t2:3d i dunno about that, he felt retired from the franchise after t2.

With Singer i favor story, so in that department whatever he did it probably wouldve been more fleshed out. In that respect id say it wouldve been more appealing.

And how can you compare T2:3D Universal Studio feature to the actual T2 story? :huh:

Apples and oranges my friend. Had James Cameron directed T3 we would've had Linda Hamilton and Edward Furlong in their respective roles, and probably would've actually seen the war between the human resistance and the machines.

Nell2ThaIzzay said:
I don't know what Singer's X-Men 3 would have been like, but it has been said that he wasn't going to bring Storm back. She would have been a mere cameo at best.

According to the producers, Strom was always intended to be in X-Men 3. You think Fox would simply let Halle Berry get away that easily?

LastSunrise1981 said:
And how can you compare T2:3D Universal Studio feature to the actual T2 story? :huh:

Apples and oranges my friend. Had James Cameron directed T3 we would've had Linda Hamilton and Edward Furlong in their respective roles, and probably would've actually seen the war between the human resistance and the machines.

Cameron said that t2:3d was a launching pad into a potential 3rd film and then i guess he realized he was crazy lol :D

After that he never mentioned doing t3 again.

BMM said:
According to the producers, Strom was always intended to be in X-Men 3. You think Fox would simply let Halle Berry get away that easily?

They probably wouldn't have. But Halle was being a major ***** and always whining and complaining about Singer, so she probably would've halted production due to her ego either way.

Too bad she sucked as Storm anyways.

LastSunrise1981 said:
I never bought the DVD. I decided to watch the bootleg on Youtube and right now I've watched the bootleg a total of 7 times. :) Bootlegs are awesome, especially when it's a way of giving the finger to Fox and their politically motivated agenda.

Ironically, after this latest DVD fiasco, bootlegs seem to be the only way to avoid getting cheated or ripped off by FOX. What did all the loyal customers get by handing over their hard-earned cash for those Wal-Mart DVD's? They got jibbed, and some people had to buy the movie 2, 3 times to get what they wanted. So much for trying to be honest and law-abiding.

Nell2ThaIzzay said:

I don't know about you all, but I don't much like that. You can blame Fox all you want for how they didn't want Cyclops at all, they wanted him to die between movies, and how Kinberg and Penn had to fight to get him in just to have him killed off, but Singer's attitude towards Storm would have been JUST AS BAD.

As far as character treatment is concerned, either way, a very prominent, important figure to the X-Men mythos would have been screwed over.

Do you know that for sure, though? Did Singer ever point blank say that Storm was going to have a smaller role? That's just mere speculation.

And I would've traded more Cyclops for less Storm anyday of the week. I never liked Halle Berry's portrayal (Angela Bassett would've been a better pick) and I didn't like how Storm was portrayed in X-Men: The Last Stand either.

We probably wouldn't have seen the cure, which saddens me, because I like the cure story arc, and I'm glad they went in that direction.

The cure arc is a good story, but not necessary.

I also don't think that Singer would have given us the small details, like Magneto's terrorist tape. It may be something small, but for me, it's a huge impact. That act is total Magneto, and even though small, I think it's a great addition to his character arc. I don't think we would have gotten that under Singer.

I thought Magneto's terrorist tape was absolutely ridiculous. How did he get a camera down there? I mean, it was done so "professionally" that it lost all realism.

Now, if we saw Magneto burst into a news station, forcing himself on-air, then yeah, that would've been awesome. And more realistic to boot, something I could definitely see Singer doing.

Losing Storm would have been a definate minus, a minus that's equal to the loss of Cyclops in this film.

Berry's Storm is a waste anyway. At least Marsden's Cyclops resembles the character in soul and asthetically.

We were screwed in that department either way.

The way I see it, the less of Berry's Storm, the better. That was one casting that not only I wouldn't mind getting re-cast, but I actually wished it.

Oh well. :(

The loss of the cure story arc would have been a minus as well, but who knows, Singer's story may have very well made up for that.

It most likely would have.

We just don't know anything about Singer's X-Men 3 so it's totally impossible to say it would have been "better".

Just like we can't say it would've been worse.

I think Ratner excelled in X-Men: The Last Stand in certain areas that Singer lacked. Singer excelled in certain places Ratner lacked. I think that balances out.

I think Ratner failed in a lot more areas than Singer did.

What we did get excells in certain things we wouldn't have gotten under Singer. What Singer would have given us excells against certain things we didn't get under Ratner.

What Ratner gave us wasn't really that great anyway. A butchered Danger Room? Dead characters? I mean if you think giving Storm partial screentime is bad, how do you feel about killing off Scott and Xavier like that?

Honestly, I'd take a cameo Storm over a dead Xavier and Scott anyday.

It's just totally hard to tell.

Not really. Singer made two excellent X-Men movies, which sets a precedent. I think X-Men 3 under his tenure would've been amazing, far superior to what Ratner gave us.

We probably would have had a completely different X-Men 3, but that doesn't neccesarily equate to better.

If different equated to no Xavier and Scott dying, no Magneto, Rogue and Mystique getting cured...then yeah, I'd say it would be better.

I guess the biggest difference is that under Bryan Singer, we likely would have gotten an X-Men 4, where as now anymore movies (save for Wolverine) are all but out of the picture.

True that.

XCharlieX said:
And im with Nell... x3 isnt a piece of crap from a standard pov. When theres all of this comic continuum etc to compare it must really suck for you guys.

Yea it kinda sucks that the real devoted fans, who have been there all along or long enough, who know and understand these characters, didn't get what they deserved.

On the other hand a bunch of other ppl who wouldn't waste their time picking up the comic book, much less caring about the secondary characters, Get a really "bad ass" main character who "oh who cares what he does" He has cool claws and is ohhh soo Dreamy and bad. It's those who ppl who matter, The ones who ooh and ahh at that nice little meaningless kaboom at the expense an important character.

gambitfire said:
Yea it kinda sucks that the real devoted fans, who have been there all along or long enough, who know and understand these characters, didn't get what they deserved.

As far as im concerned I know and understand the movieverse characters and Mr Ratner didnt break the mold there. If were talking about lack of comic continuity that began with singer.

Nell2ThaIzzay said:
ntcrawler can argue all he wants that there's no "easy" solution to being a mutant, but all the talk about cures in the previous movies easily lends itself to this being a logical conclussion. Sure, it's genetic, and can't be "easily" fixed, but when a way is to easily "fix" you, it's the ultimate insult towards mutantkind.

Is it now? Is it easy to change your skin color by taking a pill? Is it easy to lose 50 pounds by taking a pill? Can you regrow missing limbs by taking a pill? Same deal.

Logical conclusion? According to what Singer set up in the first film, more like Logical Contradiction. Remember that extended scene between Rogue and Storm:

Marie: "Do you think he [the Professor] can cure me?"
Ororo: "I'm afraid it's not that simple"

There isn't supposed to be a one-shot, perfect, instant solution. To just put one in there cheapens the story and takes away the purpose behind the Xavier institute's existence and the importance of being accepted for who you are. Suppose back in the 1950's and 1960's there was a "cure" for being black. That by taking this cure blacks could become white and therefore no longer the subjects of discrimination. would that be better than being accepted? would they take this cure? According to the minds that gave us X3, they'd be breaking down barricades and stampeding to their local Cure distributors to take it in, instead of doing what's truly important. Not only does it torpedo the entire concept of what it means to be a mutant, but to show how enthusiastic mutants were to embrace the cure, it ruins things even more. What kind of lesson is this to society? It makes a mockery of the whole concept of accepting yourself for who you are, and being accepted by society.

Mutation is not a disease. It is not a flaw. These gifts always have been, and always will be a part of who you are. How can there be a cure for that? Xavier's institute offers the real and only cure: acceptance, coping with your gifts, and hope.

XCharlieX said:
As far as im concerned I know and understand the movieverse characters and Mr Ratner didnt break the mold there. If were talking about lack of comic continuity that began with singer.

Truth be told, Singer was more faithful to the comics than people give him credit for. Upon watching X1 and X2 I was able to look into my comics and find those exact scenarios, dialogue, and visuals at times.

Granted it wasn't big on action and eye candy visuals, but he was a lot more faithful compared to what Ratner, Penn, and Kinberg did.

The reason why fans and a lot of people enjoy Singer's version is because it's more emotional, powerful, and the characters are those the audience can really care about in the long run.

Here, let me break it down for you, Nell, and those who have a hard time grasping our perspectives.

X3 was nothing more than the usual Logan love-fest and while X1/X2 had a lot of Logan, both films maintained the true spirit of the character and the moments he had are what made them good.

X3 it was more or less making Logan into a God and having him be front and center all over again.

Emotional X1 moments.

1. Young Magneto trying to get to his family during the Holocaust in the concentration camps.

2. Rogue nearly killing her boyfriend in the beginning.

3. Rogue and Logan having their first heart to heart in their first meeting.

4. Rogue and Logan sharing an emotional moment on the train.

5. Cyclops promising Xavier that if anything were to happen he'd take care of the X-Men.

6. Logan holding a lifeless Rogue ontop of the Statue of Liberty.

7. Rogue getting accidently stabbed in the chest by Logan.
---------------------------------------------------------

X2

1. Nightcrawler's scene with Jean and Storm. His eyes and reaction to them was very heartwrenching.

2. Bobby trying to explain to his parents that he's a mutant and in the end he's still outcasted.

3. Pyro going nuts after watching Logan get shot in the head.

4. Rogue getting sucked out of the plane after the missles hit it and when Nightcrawler bamfed to save her it was true to the comics and very emotional.

5. Cyclops and Jean having their confrontation at the underground base of Alkali Lake and the aftermath.

6. Scott breaking down in Logan's arms after watching Jean die.

7. Nightcrawler's prayer during the mourning of Jean's death.

8. Nightcrawler and Storm's heart to heart about humanity on the X-Jet.

X1/X2 had a lot more moments that made me very emotional and made me care about the characters. Singer knew how to really concentrate on powerful moments and character development, which is something Ratner doesn't understand and will never be able to do.

ntcrawler said:
Is it now? Is it easy to change your skin color by taking a pill? Is it easy to lose 50 pounds by taking a pill? Can you regrow missing limbs by taking a pill? Same deal.

You know stryker took a serum from Jason to make a mind control drug, so i dont see how Leeches power couldnt be weaponized also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"