X-Men 3 plothole.

You're right citizens who are mad at the government don't owe the government anything. Any citizens who know about terrorists plots that will cause the deaths of citizens, the destruction of property, and cause social turmoil shouldn't tell the government anything.:oldrazz:
The way they saw it, the government was the terrorist. :oldrazz:

I don't remember a scene that confirms this. After cutting all ties with congress and showing a complete distrust by not sharing the information on Magneto's attack I don't see how Beast would be able to effectively work with the government considering that there are other mutant terrorists in the world and the weaponized cure could be used against these threats.
The scene where Beast returned as the US Ambassador was the confirmation.

Seriously, your inability to accept evidence against your statements is a bit extreme. Are you joking, or can you really not accept being wrong? I'm really starting to wonder if you're just jerking us around, 'cause I know it's funny how long it takes message boarders to catch on to a joke sometimes. XD If you are serious, take my advice: it's just a movie, let it go. :cwink:

I don't really see why...

The government wasn't forcing the cure on anyone. And the soldiers that fought at Alcatraz were just doing their jobs.

So I'm assuming the :oldrazz: mean's youre joking.

That's completely ridiculous. So the X-Men went from disagreeing with the government to believing they were terrorists? If that was the case then why not attack the government. Maybe they were the bigger threat than Magneto and his brotherhood.:whatever:

Considering how brief this response is to my last commentary on why withholding terrorist information from the government made little sense it's obvious that you don't have a legitimate rebuttal to this argument.

The scene where Beast returned as the US Ambassador was the confirmation.

Seriously, your inability to accept evidence against your statements is a bit extreme. Are you joking, or can you really not accept being wrong? I'm really starting to wonder if you're just jerking us around, 'cause I know it's funny how long it takes message boarders to catch on to a joke sometimes. XD If you are serious, take my advice: it's just a movie, let it go. :cwink:

All I was saying was that I didn't remember the scene at the end where Beast came back as Ambassador. I've only seen this crappy film from beginning to end once so there is a lot that I don't remember. However, one thing is still clear. I still haven't heard a logical explanation for why Beast and the X-Men withheld vitale information from the government. The explanations I have heard makes Beast's position as Ambassador even less believable after how untrustworthy he and the X-Men were toward the government.

I don't really see why...

The government wasn't forcing the cure on anyone. And the soldiers that fought at Alcatraz were just doing their jobs.

So I'm assuming the :oldrazz: mean's youre joking.

I know. It is one of the many things about this movie that didn't make sense. The X-Men may not have wanted the government to get involved but, after the cure became weaponized governmental involvement was inevitable. Whether the X-Men liked the government are not they still had an obligation to tell someone in an authoritative position about what was going to take place at Alcatraz for the purpose of preventing the catastrophy or at least lessoning the impact of it.

Instead it appears as though the X-Men were more concerned about preserving the rights of a few dangerous terrorists who all ended up getting cured or killed over being concerned with all the innocent human lives that the brotherhood terrorized and killed during their journey across the US before they even got to Alcatraz.:dry:

That's completely ridiculous. So the X-Men went from disagreeing with the government to believing they were terrorists? If that was the case then why not attack the government. Maybe they were the bigger threat than Magneto and his brotherhood.:whatever:

Considering how brief this response is to my last commentary on why withholding terrorist information from the government made little sense it's obvious that you don't have a legitimate rebuttal to this argument.

All I was saying was that I didn't remember the scene at the end where Beast came back as Ambassador. I've only seen this crappy film from beginning to end once so there is a lot that I don't remember. However, one thing is still clear. I still haven't heard a logical explanation for why Beast and the X-Men withheld vitale information from the government. The explanations I have heard makes Beast's position as Ambassador even less believable after how untrustworthy he and the X-Men were toward the government.
Okay, so what it comes down to is that you disagree with the reasoning? That does not a plothole make. :cwink: There is a reason, just not one you agree with. So, we've explained the X-Men knowing about Magneto's plans, Beast resigning, and Beast becoming the Ambassador to your satisfaction. The only thing left is why the X-Men didn't work with the government. That has been explained, although you don't like the reasoning. Does it at least settle your concerns about plotholes?

The reason I started this thread is because I've always had an issue with why the X-Men didn't reveal Magneto's attack plans to the government.

So you are trying to convince me that a former member of the government has no obligation to inform them about the probability of a catastrophy that would cause death and could completely destroy the relationship between humans and mutants forever? That's pretty hard to accept. Any decent citizen with half a brain would have tried to inform the government about the attack on Alcatraz if they had any knowledge of it. Furthermore, in the real world resiging from a position in congress usually doesn't mean cutting all ties with congress because that would be ridiculous. I'm sure Beast still had strong allies in congress because there's no way he got that position without strong support from some members. The question that still bothers me is why Beast didn't choose to utilize the remaining allies he still had by informing them about the attack that could have been less devastating if the government had been properly warned.

So the X-Men aren't obligated to act like decent citizens because the government made a controversial decision that would be used to protect humans and mutants from terrorist mutants?

If this is the sole reason why Beast withheld information from the government then his thinking is warped. I would like to ask Beast what was more offensive? Terrorist mutants who wanted to exterminate all humans and mutants who wanted peace or a weaponized cure that was being used to stop the terrorist mutants? The answer should have been obvious to any person with average inteligence. Unfortunately, Beast's high IQ and wisdom makes it impossible for me to accept the decision he made in X3.

Yes, and the X-Men were still obligated as US citizens to try to prevent a catastrophy from happening by informing the government.

You're right citizens who are mad at the government don't owe the government anything. Any citizens who know about terrorists plots that will cause the deaths of citizens, the destruction of property, and cause social turmoil shouldn't tell the government anything.:oldrazz:

I don't remember a scene that confirms this. After cutting all ties with congress and showing a complete distrust by not sharing the information on Magneto's attack I don't see how Beast would be able to effectively work with the government considering that there are other mutant terrorists in the world and the weaponized cure could be used against these threats.

The government quite clearly upset human/mutant relations, and any attempt to show it supported mutant rights, when it used the cure as a weapon on that prison truck...without consulting its Secretary of Mutant Affairs.

Understandably, Beast felt policy was being made without him, as he clearly states, and he resigns to rejoin the X-Men.

Thus, Beast's trust in the government has been shattered, while Storm is angry about the idea of a cure and being seen as a disease, and Wolverine is already distrusting of the government (he earlier askes Beast if the government had cooked up the cure).

The X-Men have always operated outside conventional channels, as a stealth force. In X1, they didn't warn the government about the Liberty Island incident, or make any attempt to warn the leaders at the world summit to vacate the area due to a terrorist threat.

In X3, they obviously felt the same distrust of the government after the president's actions shattered the relationship built with the mutant community. I doubt Beast would want to encourage the government to go around firing the cure at any mutant who moved or appeared to pose any kind of threat. You can easily imagine trigger-happy soldiers and cops firing cure darts all over the place every time there was a perceived mutant problem. The government appeared to have no consideration for mutant rights (using cure as a weapon, failing to consult Secretary of Mutant Affairs), and the X-Men probably hoped to defuse the situation with as little fuss as possible, not knowing how things had developed on Alcatraz.

They could have chosen to tell the government... but they obviously had clear reasons not to do so. Their decision not to alert the government is not wrong, it is a decision made because the president did something that seemed to indicate he had no respect for mutants at all.

The government quite clearly upset human/mutant relations, and any attempt to show it supported mutant rights, when it used the cure as a weapon on that prison truck...without consulting its Secretary of Mutant Affairs.

Agreed.

Understandably, Beast felt policy was being made without him, as he clearly states, and he resigns to rejoin the X-Men.

Agreed.

Thus, Beast's trust in the government has been shattered.

I disagree. Like I said before Beast obviously had allies in congress or there is no way he would have gotten that job. His trust was damaged but, not shattered because theoretically there were still people working in congress. It wouldn't make sense for him to give up the relationships with all the allies he had who were just as angry as him.

while Storm is angry about the idea of a cure and being seen as a disease,.

So what? She doesn't dictate the actions of anyone around her. Rogue took the cure against her will. Wolverine went on a futile crusade to save Jean against her will and a clear thinking Beast would have warned the government against her will.

and Wolverine is already distrusting of the government (he earlier askes Beast if the government had cooked up the cure).,.

Since when were Wolverine's opinions on anything political relevant?

The X-Men have always operated outside conventional channels, as a stealth force. In X1, they didn't warn the government about the Liberty Island incident, or make any attempt to warn the leaders at the world summit to vacate the area due to a terrorist threat.

I already debated this argument with Danoyese. Did you not read my response to this argument?

In X3, they obviously felt the same distrust of the government after the president's actions shattered the relationship built with the mutant community. I doubt Beast would want to encourage the government to go around firing the cure at any mutant who moved or appeared to pose any kind of threat.

Now you're being completely silly. I don't see how warning the government about a mutant terrorist attack at Alcatraz would have encouraged the government to start randomly firing the cure at any nonterrorist mutant that moved. In case you forgot many of the mutants and humans look a like. Even all of the X-Men and some of the brotherhood members look completely normal in public. If the government decided to resort to these farfetched tactics they wouldn't know who to shoot.

Furthermore, before Beast resigned the government already showed restraint in the way the weaponized cure was used:

Magneto's terrorist attack on the caravan could have caused the government to misuse the weaponized cure but it didn't.

Pyro's terrorist attack on the mutant curing facility could have caused the government to misuse the weaponized cure but it didn't.

The pressure put on the government to search for Magneto's base in the forest could have influenced them to misuse the weaponized cure but it didn't.

You can easily imagine trigger-happy soldiers and cops firing cure darts all over the place every time there was a perceived mutant problem.

I could imagine that but, it was not realistic in the world that was portrayed in X3.

The government appeared to have no consideration for mutant rights (using cure as a weapon, failing to consult Secretary of Mutant Affairs),

I totally agree. The government's decision to not pass the mutant registration act in X1 has nothing to do with valuing the importance of mutant rights.

The president's decision to change his conversial speech at the end of X2 has nothing to do with valuing the importance of mutant rights.

The government's decision in giving a position in congress to a mutant for the purpose of fighting for mutant rights has nothing to do with valuing the importance of mutant rights.

The government's decision in creating a weapon being used to fight only terrorist mutants, who were endangering the rights of non terrorists mutants, has nothing to do with valuing the importance of mutant rights.

and the X-Men probably hoped to defuse the situation with as little fuss as possible, not knowing how things had developed on Alcatraz.

Well, this is very simplistic and warped thinking. The end result of the X-Men's horrible decision resulted in the death's of no less than a 100 people being killed. 100's of people being terrorized and the destruction of public and governmental property. How much death, destruction, and chaos would have been prevented if the government had the opportunity to at least try and help the X-Men stop this catastrophy? Using the word defuse is an inappropriate word in describing the impact of the X-Men's decision.

What's hillarious about all of this is inspite of the X-Men not wanting the government to interfere they still got involved with the battle at Alcatraz because military presence indicated that the government was controlling that facility. In retrospect, all the X-Men's decision accomplished was limit the government's involvement and got many unprepared people unnecessarily killed.

Also, if the government was truly this threatening to mutant rights as you're suggesting there's no way the relationship between the X-Men and the government would be resolved in a few months. During the attack on Alcatraz the weaponized cure proved to be a very effective weapon against terrorist mutants. Do you honestly think the government would decide not to use the weapon against other mutant terrorists after the events at Alcatraz?

They could have chosen to tell the government... but they obviously had clear reasons not to do so.

I will admit their decisions were selfish and perplexing.

Their decision not to alert the government is not wrong, it is a decision made because the president did something that seemed to indicate he had no respect for mutants at all.

There are many things the president and the government could have done to show they had no respect for mutants. Getting all mutants to expose themselves through a registration act would be the most blatant example. Then forcing all of the exposed mutants to take the cure would be the next example. The finale one would be telling soilders with the weaponized cure to open fire on all people who either look like mutants or suspected of being ones.

I still don't see how the government's decision in designing the only effective weapon they had against terrorists mutants displays a complete disrespect for mutant rights. However, I will admit it is disrespectful towards the rights of terrorists mutants for many good reasons.

Okay, so what it comes down to is that you disagree with the reasoning? That does not a plothole make. :cwink: There is a reason, just not one you agree with. So, we've explained the X-Men knowing about Magneto's plans, Beast resigning, and Beast becoming the Ambassador to your satisfaction. The only thing left is why the X-Men didn't work with the government. That has been explained, although you don't like the reasoning. Does it at least settle your concerns about plotholes?

I guess my definition of a plothole is different from yours. The basic definition of a plothole is an inconsistency in a storyline that goes against logic. I thought X3 had many plotholes because there are many things about this film that don't make sense. I consider Beast's decision to not inform the government about Magneto's attack a plothole because it's not the decision his character would make under those circumstances.

There are strong plotholes, moderate ones, and weak ones. The weak ones are recognized by how easily they can be explained away. The strong ones are defined by the way absurd theories are used to unsuccessfully explain them away. I consider my plothole to be a moderate one. My plothole is definitely not weak but, it's not the strongest one either. It can be debated against but, I've yet to hear a theory that explains it away.

I disagree. Like I said before Beast obviously had allies in congress or there is no way he would have gotten that job. His trust was damaged but, not shattered because theoretically there were still people working in congress. It wouldn't make sense for him to give up the relationships with all the allies he had who were just as angry as him.

It's possible he had allies, but we weren't shown that. All we know is that (as he tells Wolverine) he had been fighting for mutant rights since before Logan had claws. This might simply mean he built up a reputation as an intelligent expert on mutants and an articulate speaker on the mutant 'issue' (he was speaking about mutants on TV in X2, in a human form which might well be a disguise or even prior to his mutation advancing to its blue furry stage). The details of his appointment to that government post are not given. But, even so, he quit the government. It doesn't automatically follow he would want to contact the President or any of his allies if he left his post on bitter terms, disillusioned and angry.

As it happened, his decision not to tell the government didn't matter so much, as the President had already stationed troops with plastic cure darts on Alcatraz. Would they have been able to do much more had they known of Magneto's plan to go there? Relocate the boy perhaps? Move some of the cure stored on the island? Would those things have stopped Magneto?

So what? She doesn't dictate the actions of anyone around her. Rogue took the cure against her will. Wolverine went on a futile crusade to save Jean against her will and a clear thinking Beast would have warned the government against her will.

I simply meant that she would not be encouraging Beast to tell the government what was going on. She was angry over the cure and once she knew it had been weaponised, her anger would be stronger and it would be directed at the government.

Since when were Wolverine's opinions on anything political relevant?

Again, I meant his earlier distrust would mean he wasn't going to be encouraging Beast to tell the government.

I already debated this argument with Danoyese. Did you not read my response to this argument?

I read that response. But it's still a debatable point that the X-Men didn't try to sound a warning to the leaders at the world summit. The X-Men relied on their ability to stop the machine, which almost failed, rather than on also trying to evacuate the people the machine was targeting. If the leaders had been evacuated, the threat of the machine would have been lessened considerably.

Now you're being completely silly. I don't see how warning the government about a mutant terrorist attack at Alcatraz would have encouraged the government to start randomly firing the cure at any nonterrorist mutant that moved. In case you forgot many of the mutants and humans look a like. Even all of the X-Men and some of the brotherhood members look completely normal in public. If the government decided to resort to these farfetched tactics they wouldn't know who to shoot.

Furthermore, before Beast resigned the government already showed restraint in the way the weaponized cure was used:

Magneto's terrorist attack on the caravan could have caused the government to misuse the weaponized cure but it didn't.

Pyro's terrorist attack on the mutant curing facility could have caused the government to misuse the weaponized cure but it didn't.

The pressure put on the government to search for Magneto's base in the forest could have influenced them to misuse the weaponized cure but it didn't.

But the point is that the weaponisation of the cure was, as Beast put it, a slippery slope. It could lead to other use/abuse/misuse of the cure or other anti-mutant measures. The President weaponised the cure as a defensive measure, at a point when there was no immediate wide-scale threat. It was arguably an abuse of the cure to secretly use it for such means. So what would the president have done had he known that Magneto was marching towards Alcatraz? Gone even further down that slippery slope...

I totally agree. The government's decision to not pass the mutant registration act in X1 has nothing to do with valuing the importance of mutant rights.

The president's decision to change his conversial speech at the end of X2 has nothing to do with valuing the importance of mutant rights.

The government's decision in giving a position in congress to a mutant for the purpose of fighting for mutant rights has nothing to do with valuing the importance of mutant rights.

The government's decision in creating a weapon being used to fight only terrorist mutants, who were endangering the rights of non terrorists mutants, has nothing to do with valuing the importance of mutant rights.

But all that work was undone when the President used the cure as a weapon without consulting the Secretary of Mutant Affairs and when, at that point, there was no wide-scale threat and no massive social campaign for such a measure.

Well, this is very simplistic and warped thinking. The end result of the X-Men's horrible decision resulted in the death's of no less than a 100 people being killed. 100's of people being terrorized and the destruction of public and governmental property. How much death, destruction, and chaos would have been prevented if the government had the opportunity to at least try and help the X-Men stop this catastrophy? Using the word defuse is an inappropriate word in describing the impact of the X-Men's decision.

What's hillarious about all of this is inspite of the X-Men not wanting the government to interfere they still got involved with the battle at Alcatraz because military presence indicated that the government was controlling that facility. In retrospect, all the X-Men's decision accomplished was limit the government's involvement and got many unprepared people unnecessarily killed.

Also, if the government was truly this threatening to mutant rights as you're suggesting there's no way the relationship between the X-Men and the government would be resolved in a few months. During the attack on Alcatraz the weaponized cure proved to be a very effective weapon against terrorist mutants. Do you honestly think the government would decide not to use the weapon against other mutant terrorists after the events at Alcatraz?

The X-Men's decision merely meant a delay in the arrival at Alcatraz of ground troops who had gone to Magneto's forest camp believing he and his army were there. It meant fewer soldiers on Alcatraz, but the troops on the island already had plastic cure darts. I suppose the government might have moved the boy somewhere else had they known Alcatraz was about to be attacked by Magneto. Other than that, the normal military measures like tanks and jets would be useless against Magneto, as Trask tells the President.

As for what exactly happened in the months after the Alcatraz incident, we simply know that Beast was appointed ambassador and that must mean that his relationship with the government was restored as a result of Alcatraz and his role in stopping Magneto. The exact details aren't important, it's enough to know a threat was stopped, rifts were healed and it was a somewhat better world for mutants. I think it would be up to a future movie to deal with the ramifications of the cure and whether it still exists or is being used, the way the world now deals with terrorist mutants, and the government's exact position on the mutant issue. For this movie, it was presented that a balance or peace of sorts had been reached for the moment, with the stopping of Magneto (and Phoenix).

There are many things the president and the government could have done to show they had no respect for mutants. Getting all mutants to expose themselves through a registration act would be the most blatant example. Then forcing all of the exposed mutants to take the cure would be the next example. The final one would be telling soilders with the weaponized cure to open fire on all people who either look like mutants or suspected of being ones.

And those were part of the slippery slope that Beast feared the President was on. Disrespecting prisoners' rights could well be the start of harsh anti-mutant measures - and it is an important issue in the human rights agenda. The huge news coverage of Guantanamo Bay in our own world shows how much rights can matter even when referring to detainees and prisoners.

I guess my definition of a plothole is different from yours. The basic definition of a plothole is an inconsistency in a storyline that goes against logic. I thought X3 had many plotholes because there are many things about this film that don't make sense. I consider Beast's decision to not inform the government about Magneto's attack a plothole because it's not the decision his character would make under those circumstances.

There are strong plotholes, moderate ones, and weak ones. The weak ones are recognized by how easily they can be explained away. The strong ones are defined by the way absurd theories are used to unsuccessfully explain them away. I consider my plothole to be a moderate one. My plothole is definitely not weak but, it's not the strongest one either. It can be debated against but, I've yet to hear a theory that explains it away.

I'd say all movies have plotholes, at least judging from the lists on various websites which often border on the obsessive and overanalytical. Part of the reason is that a movie's story goes through so many hands and changes - the writer and their multiple drafts, other writers being called in, the director, the editors - that details can get lost along the way. Even top directors make movies with plotholes and even the best movies have them.

I'm satisfied if there is a reasonable explanation. I'm not satisfied if something is a 100% mistake - physically impossible or a complete contradiction. And I hate plot conveniences/coincidences (like the Venom meteorite landing next to Peter Parker) even if such bizarre coincidences can occur in everyday life.

Here's one I hated. It's a stupid convenience. The old Batman TV series from the 60s is being re-run here in the UK. There was a story where the Joker was tampering with machines. He captured Batman and Robin and rigged a fruit machine so that if it displayed a line of three lemons, it would fry the dynamic duo with 50,000 volts. The cliffhanger showed two lemons and the third wheel still spinning... the next episode showed a third lemon and then.... there was a power cut that saved the dynamic duo's life!!! It was such a groan-inducing moment. What are the chances of a citywide power cut at that precise moment!? Some suspension of disbelief is required, in order to get over the hurdle of things like Clark Kent and Superman being so obviously alike, as are Dick Grayson and Robin (the Batman show i mentioned featured a girl talking to him in both guises and not guessing they were the same person).

I will add though that I would never have written the X3 script we saw on screen! But are there any movies where everything makes total sense? Especially sci-fi/fantasy movies?

Fine. Believe. I think I'd be an idiot if I kept arguing. :o :oldrazz:

It's possible he had allies, but we weren't shown that.

Correction. It's highly probable that he had allies and of course we weren't shown that because it was unnecessary to show it.

All we know is that (as he tells Wolverine) he had been fighting for mutant rights since before Logan had claws. This might simply mean he built up a reputation as an intelligent expert on mutants and an articulate speaker on the mutant 'issue' (he was speaking about mutants on TV in X2, in a human form which might well be a disguise or even prior to his mutation advancing to its blue furry stage). The details of his appointment to that government post are not given. But, even so, he quit the government. It doesn't automatically follow he would want to contact the President or any of his allies if he left his post on bitter terms, disillusioned and angry.

I agree with the exception of Beast not contacting the government. Not wanting to is irrelevant because any decent citizen would have tried to help the government especially one with as much political influence as Beast.

As it happened, his decision not to tell the government didn't matter so much, as the President had already stationed troops with plastic cure darts on Alcatraz. Would they have been able to do much more had they known of Magneto's plan to go there? Relocate the boy perhaps? Move some of the cure stored on the island? Would those things have stopped Magneto?

Of course his decision mattered. A greater number of troops at Alcatraz could have been deployed and they would have been better prepared if Beast had told them. The boy could have been relocated and all the doctors inside the facilities could have been evacuated. The port authorities could have temporarily shut down the golden gate bridge thereby preventing 100s of people from being terrorized. All of these things would have temporarily stopped Magneto and considering the brotherhood new nothing about the plastic needles they might have been defeated with an ambush. Did you even consider the repercussions of what would happen if Magneto one the battle as a result of Beast's decision? I will address this issue later.

I simply meant that she would not be encouraging Beast to tell the government what was going on. She was angry over the cure and once she knew it had been weaponised, her anger would be stronger and it would be directed at the government.

A clear thinking Beast still would have made the right choice inspite of being around the Storm in X3 who clearly had an attitude problem.

Again, I meant his earlier distrust would mean he wasn't going to be encouraging Beast to tell the government.

A clear thinking Beast still would have made the right choice inspite of being around a mutant whose political opinions were irrelevant.

I read that response. But it's still a debatable point that the X-Men didn't try to sound a warning to the leaders at the world summit. The X-Men relied on their ability to stop the machine, which almost failed, rather than on also trying to evacuate the people the machine was targeting. If the leaders had been evacuated, the threat of the machine would have been lessened considerably.

Okay. Now I know you read my response. What's the point in regurgitating the same things already stated about this argument? Restating this information does not make my argument less valid.

But the point is that the weaponisation of the cure was, as Beast put it, a slippery slope. It could lead to other use/abuse/misuse of the cure or other anti-mutant measures.

Yes, that was a slippery slope. However, Beast should have understood why the government's intentions were intially good because the weapon was being used to protect mutants and humans against terrorist mutants. Since beast couldn't stomache the idea of imagining mutant cure serum being fired at terrorist mutants would he rather have the military and law enforcement commit suicide by firing bullets at Magneto's army?

The President weaponised the cure as a defensive measure, at a point when there was no immediate wide-scale threat.

What do you mean there was not a wide scale threat? In the first X-Men film most of the world leaders were meeting at Liberty Island to discuss the politcal repercussions of the mutant registraction act so it's that other countries had mutant problems just like America. There's no evidence that these worldwide problems suddenly fixed themselves in the second and third X-Men films.

It was arguably an abuse of the cure to secretly use it for such means.

It was a controversial decision and arguably the only means the government had against stopping the mutant terrorists.

So what would the president have done had he known that Magneto was marching towards Alcatraz? Gone even further down that slippery slope.

So what would the president have done if Beast's failure to inform the government about Magneto's plan allowed Magneto to win the battle at Alcatraz? Gone even further down that slipperly slope.

But all that work was undone when the President used the cure as a weapon without consulting the Secretary of Mutant Affairs.

What do you mean? Beast was informed about the cure at the beginning of the film must have known about it's potential to be a weapon. All those things I mentioned happened after Beast was informed so there was more than enough evidence for him to see that the government would do everything in their power to not misuse the cure as a weapon.

and when, at that point, there was no wide-scale threat and no massive social campaign for such a measure.

I already addressed this. X-Men 1 showed the relationship between mutants and humans was becoming a worldwide problem. X-Men 2 showed that the human and mutant relationship was on the verge of falling apart. These problems didn't just go away during the events which took place in between X2 and X3. I blame Ratner for not showing the wide scale threat and the massive social campaigns for this measure because all evidence suggests they existed.

The X-Men's decision merely meant a delay in the arrival at Alcatraz of ground troops who had gone to Magneto's forest camp believing he and his army were there.

What? So now I'm supposed to believe the troops searching for Magneto's camp were the only troops who could have been sent to help the ones already at Alcatraz. There were no other military troops in San Fransisco that could have gone to Alcatraz to prepare for the attack?:oldrazz:

It meant fewer soldiers on Alcatraz, but the troops on the island already had plastic cure darts.

Yep. Just imagine what a force of 300 troops could have done to Magneto's army who had no knowledge of the plastic needles. The battle would have been over immediately after it started.

I suppose the government might have moved the boy somewhere else had they known Alcatraz was about to be attacked by Magneto.

Yep.

Other than that, the normal military measures like tanks and jets would be useless against Magneto, as Trask tells the President.

Of course the military on Alcatraz wouldn't have used these measures. All they needed were more troops to fire more of the mutant cure guns. These troops could have been deployed to Alcatraz in minutes once the government had been warned.

The exact details aren't important, it's enough to know a threat was stopped, rifts were healed and it was a somewhat better world for mutants. I think it would be up to a future movie to deal with the ramifications of the cure and whether it still exists or is being used, the way the world now deals with terrorist mutants, and the government's exact position on the mutant issue. For this movie, it was presented that a balance or peace of sorts had been reached for the moment, with the stopping of Magneto (and Phoenix).

I didn't need to see exact details. However, I did want X-Men 3 to fit well in the X-Men series. Unfortunately, for us Ratner didn't consider the worldwide political ramifications of the previous movies. I hated the end of X3 because it leaves us with more questions than answers. Anyone who has seen all three X-Men movies knows that whatever peace resulted after the battle of Alcatraz must be temporary. The government's decision in appointing Beast as ambassador happened so quickly I suspect it was done mainly to have a political impact domestically and worldwide. In the real world discrimination is something that will always exist in some form so in the X-Men movie world I think it's farfeteched to believe the fragile and worldwide relationship between humans and mutants was restored a few months after the events at Alcatraz.

And those were part of the slippery slope that Beast feared the President was on.

Interesting. You've basically proved my point for me. Beast being worried about all these things and not telling the government about Magneto's plan wouldn't have stopped the government from doing these things if they were determined to.

The government knew who the X-Men were in X3 and most likely saw them as strong allies who would aid them in their fight against terrorist mutants. Just imagine what would have happened if Magneto's army actually won the battle at Alcatraz and the X-Men were either all killed or at the very least recognized as traitors for not informing the government of the attack. There's a strong posibility the government would have resorted to all those tactics that Beast feared.

His decision was a very high risk that resulted with a decent reward. The decision he should have choosen was less risky and the reward would have been similar with the exception of there being less destruction, less causualties, and chaos. So once again I still don't understand what Beast was trying to accomplish by not informing the government about Magneto's attack.

Disrespecting prisoners' rights could well be the start of harsh anti-mutant measures - and it is an important issue in the human rights agenda. The huge news coverage of Guantanamo Bay in our own world shows how much rights can matter even when referring to detainees and prisoners.

Who said anything about disrespecting prisoners rights? First of all, I was talking about the rights of mutant terrorists. Not terrorists mutant prisoners. Secondly, what rights do any terrorists have who are trying to take away the rights of those they disagree with through terrorism? If I'm not mistaken terrorists have virtually no rights under the geneva convention rules. The few rights they are given are a priviledge they don't deserve. Of course I believe all prisoners should have some basic rights but, the Guantanamo Bay example is a horrible one. I'm always amused when I hear about these so-called human rights organizations being concerned about the rights of people who have no respect for human life. Then these same people ignore the plight of all the other poor people who are having their rights violated in 3 of the other 7 continents.

Fine. Believe. I think I'd be an idiot if I kept arguing.

I've encountered quite a few individuals like you who resort to name calling after they run out of intelligent things to say in a debate. The only thing unique about your above statement was it's another example where someone made a pathetic attempt to try and insult me. Thanks for the laugh.

But, TheWeepeople, the fact is that Beast and the other X-Men didn’t tell the government. We were shown that Beast no longer worked for the government, that he left under bitter circumstances, that none of the X-Men (Beast, Storm, Wolverine) would be in a frame of mind to argue that the government should be involved - a government that was abusing the mutant cure and abusing mutant rights. The mutants on that convoy weren’t all terrorists - Multiple Man was a criminal (bank robber) and Juggernaut is just a violent thug. What the President did was clearly wrong. Clearly, relations with the government have returned to the way they were in X1 with the X-Men a stealth force operating outside the knowledge of the government. And clearly the government’s actions with secretly using the cure were the cause.

It's quite feasible that Beast wouldn't want to confide in a government who didn't want to confide in him. Decisions and policy were being made without him, so he quit. His loyalty to the government ended when the government showed no loyalty to him

Beast’s decision not to tell the government also works from a narrative standpoint, in allowing Magneto to be shown as a terrorist and to attack Alcatraz successfully. We needed to see such an attack, we needed to see soldiers and the government unprepared for his terrorism, we needed to see Magneto unprepared for plastic needles. You seem to want the battle over before it even began with nothing to challenge either Magneto or the government Someone else asked why Magneto didn’t pull the X-jet into the bay and drown all the X-Men - clearly that was not going to happen, the death of the entire team beore the climactic battle is not a viable suggestion for this movie or any movie.

It’s now all down to personal perception and your personal tolerance of the reasoning and storyline in the movie. Clearly, you are unhappy with the entire movie, so it’s no surprise you want to pick at elements within it (while giving X1 and X2 a free ride). It’s pretty obvious you are the only one carrying out this relentless deconstruction, so it reflects on your unhappiness with what we saw rather than on what we saw.

I can’t add anything more to what I have stated except that I stand by the reasoning stated. It never bothered me while watching the movie, it doesn’t bother me now, and it’s taken you more than a year to think of this point. It’s like you are constipated with your dislike of the movie, surely it’s time to clear out your bowels and move on!?

simply put - showing the x-men warn the government would be quite redundant. after pyro's terrorist attack on the cure facility, we SEE THE GOVERNMENT PREPARE FOR AN ATTACK ON ALCATRAZ! we see the troops get their plastic weapons, we see the president say that he wants troops on alcatraz, we see the soldiers being transported to alcatraz. we see that the government is prepared.

having the x-men call and say "by the way, magneto is going to attack alcatraz" would be redundant, because they are already prepared for it.

just because they were prepared doesn't mean they win. magneto, and his army, were stronger than the troops, obviously, which is why it took the x-men's intervention to defeat them.

also, as a side note, there is a deleted scene of beast calling trask to warn him. trask blows him off and ends up just hanging up on him.

but as i said... showing that would just be repetetive, because the government, and the military, are already prepared for an attack on alcatraz.

I've encountered quite a few individuals like you who resort to name calling after they run out of intelligent things to say in a debate. The only thing unique about your above statement was it's another example where someone made a pathetic attempt to try and insult me. Thanks for the laugh.
Oh, I wasn't calling you an idiot. I said I'd be an idiot if I kept arguing. I was calling myself names, not you. :oldrazz:

simply put - showing the x-men warn the government would be quite redundant. after pyro's terrorist attack on the cure facility, we SEE THE GOVERNMENT PREPARE FOR AN ATTACK ON ALCATRAZ! we see the troops get their plastic weapons, we see the president say that he wants troops on alcatraz, we see the soldiers being transported to alcatraz. we see that the government is prepared.

having the x-men call and say "by the way, magneto is going to attack alcatraz" would be redundant, because they are already prepared for it.

just because they were prepared doesn't mean they win. magneto, and his army, were stronger than the troops, obviously, which is why it took the x-men's intervention to defeat them.

also, as a side note, there is a deleted scene of beast calling trask to warn him. trask blows him off and ends up just hanging up on him.

but as i said... showing that would just be repetetive, because the government, and the military, are already prepared for an attack on alcatraz.

Well, I was ready to continue this amusing debate but, you've destroyed all my motivation Nell by revealing the deleted scene which makes this whole debate pointless. However, at least I feel somewhat vindicated knowing that I was right all along about Beast's responsiblity. It was absurd for anyone to believe Beast wouldn't have revealed information to the government about a terrorist attack.

I also, must say that the government didn't looked prepared for any attack on Alcatraz from my perspective. I only counted about 50 troops. I would have increased the number of troops x10 if I was president. The military looked like they were prepared to fight a skirmish. Not a war.

In retrospect, why didn't Ratner include this scene in the film? This is a rhetorical question because I'm not expecting any logical explanations for any of the irrational decisions made by the writers, director, producers, and Fox executives for this movie.

Well, I was ready to continue this amusing debate but, you've destroyed all my motivation Nell by revealing the deleted scene which makes this whole debate pointless. However, at least I feel somewhat vindicated knowing that I was right all along about Beast's responsiblity. It was absurd for anyone to believe Beast wouldn't have revealed information to the government about a terrorist attack.

I also, must say that the government didn't looked prepared for any attack on Alcatraz from my perspective. I only counted about 50 troops. I would have increased the number of troops x10 if I was president. The military looked like they were prepared to fight a skirmish. Not a war.

In retrospect, why didn't Ratner include this scene in the film? This is a rhetorical question because I'm not expecting any logical explanations for any of the irrational decisions made by the writers, director, producers, and Fox executives for this movie.

You DID raise a valid point. The deleted scene shows the writers did think of this too. On the commentary for this scene, which I just listened to, a comment is made (by Zak I think) that the scene 'didn't fit with the final timing of the movie', or something like that. That seems an odd explanation for omitting a scene a few seconds long. The possibilities given by others in this thread, including me and Nell, still stand as possibilities. But it's a debatable point, especially since there is a deleted scene showing this point being covered.

I think more than anything it vindicates the writers to some extent as they did think of this point! It does show that not everything in a movie, or not in a movie, is down to bad writing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"