Apocalypse X-Men: Apocalypse coming in 2016!

I'm wondering whether we should see Cyclops, Jean, Storm, and Nightcrawler being individually recruited, already at the institute together, or a mix of both. Whichever way it happens, I think it should be limited to those four as Xavier's students, and anyone else (Gambit) could appear later.

good point. Id love to see Charles recruiting them one by one, with Cyclops and Jean being the first ones, having then a bit more screentime than the rest. Storm could come third, and in the middle of the movie or so, all of them could go to find Kurt, so it would be like his re-introduction, but not having the same screentime as the big three. In any case, Cyclops should be the first, imo

Its only coming at the expense of FC if Fox thinks its more profitable to do more films with the OT cast.

Yes because people want to see Professor X and Magneto in their younger stage for the next 10 years or more? And how long are we gonna see the younger version of Storm/Jean/Cyclops? Three films? At some point, they will have to go back to the present. I just think Fox will try to complete a trilogy with the FC cast like they intended to do back in 2011.

If the future is really with the new cast, they could have rebooted this in 2010 and just make a new version of each characters and not try to connect it with the 1st four movies.
Yep, then they'd have the freedom to introduce ANYONE at any point. As it stands there are so many restrictions on what they can do, who they can bring in, how old a character needs to be, whether it makes sense for them to be related to someone etc.

I want to see Storm recruited. There's great potential to see how she was before the X-Men. Wouldn't be shocked if Cyclops and Jean are already there when the film opens.

Still unsure about Nightcrawler. I love how he was introduced in X2, and don't really care to see it again. If I was to pick, I'd make the team Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Storm and Gambit.

its hard to say where or if certain events of Origins and the beginning of X3 will fit in apocalypse

I wouldn't mind if Bryan Singer erased that from the series since he had nothing to do with that. I think the movie should start with Scott and him jumping out of the plane and then flash forward with him getting off a train after he ran away from the foster home just like the comics did.

Its only coming at the expense of FC if Fox thinks its more profitable to do more films with the OT cast.

I doubt that would be the case unless XMA bombs.

Yes because people want to see Professor X and Magneto in their younger stage for the next 10 years or more? And how long are we gonna see the younger version of Storm/Jean/Cyclops? Three films?
Why not? Lets watch them grow and mature into their 20s and 30s.

At some point, they will have to go back to the present.
Absolutely. I personally don't get the rush to get back to the 2010s. Why not build up to it. Don't get me wrong, they would need to get back to this time frame eventually. To reintroduce Rogue, Colossus, Bobby ect ect. I'm just not as impatient as others are apparently.

I just think Fox will try to complete a trilogy with the FC cast like they intended to do back in 2011.
Hope not. Especially if they cast well for XMA.

I want to see Storm recruited. There's great potential to see how she was before the X-Men. Wouldn't be shocked if Cyclops and Jean are already there when the film opens.

Well we already saw how Professor X met them. Cyclops in Origins/Jean in X3. Personally and for continuity's ska,e I'm hoping they keep it that way.

I don't think anyone is asking for another trilogy with the original cast.

If that's the case then what's the point of bringing them back at all? If they aren't going to invest in another run of movies, which I personally don't see, then why bring them back for only one?!

They'll get far better ROI on the younger actors they cast for the roles in X-Men: Apocalypse and keep them for multiple movies then just dong one more with the OT cast.

That just seems like a colossal waste of time.

yeah, another movie with Original Cast wont even make any money and wont be awesome with all the adult X-Men together again since 2006, with XXI century effects. Who wants to see that? lol

I never said it wouldn't make money, I was implying that there's no longevity for the franchise with that option.

What happens after 2018?! I sincerely doubt the OT cast would be signing on for multiple movies. With younger actors, at least you can lock them in for multiple movie contracts starting with Apocalypse and moving forward.

I don't see that happening with the OT - they barely got them all back for DOFP.

Really, it sounded like everyone was jumping on board at first notice. I think it's likely we'll have more films with them. Firstly because they're not shying away from showing off younger OT characters like Kitty, Iceman, Colossus (possibly Rogue) in DOFP. Why bring them back in such awesome roles just to cut it off there? And with Bishop and possibly Cable down the line, I doubt this is the end of the time travel story.

And the producers have pretty much hinted at DOFP ending with two different directions the audience will want to see continued. They should treat the different casts the way the MCU treats the different franchises. Because X-Men has a heavy time travel element to it, having two timelines doesn't feel too weird to me. I can see the two crossing back over eventually with more physical time travel. Which would be the next logical step!

Firstly because they're not shying away from showing off younger OT characters like Kitty, Iceman, Colossus (possibly Rogue) in DOFP. Why bring them back in such awesome roles just to cut it off there?

Because they serve this story and may not the next? We don't know how long their roles are either. Colossus probably has 2 lines, Kitty will be meditating to keep Logan back most the time and Rogue.....

They are gonna be kicking ass and fighting for their life but Prof X and Magneto are gonna be the main focus in the future that parallels to their relationship within the bulk of the film in the past.

Last edited:
Because they serve this story and may not the next? We don't know how long their roles are either. Colossus probably has 2 lines, Kitty will be meditating to keep Logan back most the time and Rogue.....

Beat me to it.

And the producers have pretty much hinted at DOFP ending with two different directions the audience will want to see continued.

Of course they say that - the movie hasn't even been released yet. They're not going to say "Yea, this is the end of the OT cast members" before the movie is even released to the public. That's bad marketing - you wait until you've given the audience their happy ending then you tell them they are done. It soften the blow.

And nothing in their comment said they were doing both casts again, they were just simply implying that the two timelines are tied up in a way that people would want to see - not that they were absolutely going to. What the audience wants and what the studio does are two very different things.

They should treat the different casts the way the MCU treats the different franchises. Because X-Men has a heavy time travel element to it, having two timelines doesn't feel too weird to me. I can see the two crossing back over eventually with more physical time travel. Which would be the next logical step!

What MCU is doing is completely different from what you are suggesting here. MCU has ALL of their characters and all of their stories happening in one, single cohesive timeline.

The X-Men movie timeline is already mucked up as it is - having two different casts in two different timelines may not be confusing but it certainly unnecessarily clutters things up.

I don't mean two different realities, I just mean two different eras. Obviously starting with another FC type film before another one with the OT cast. And okay so Kitty and everyone serves this story but then what, that's it for those characters? Don't tell me they can reintroduce them in the FC time because that makes no sense for a number of reasons.

A whole mess of big X-Men crossovers have to do with alternate futures/timelines and now they've opened the door for that type of storytelling. So when I'm saying treat it like the Marvel films, consider the FC movies as the special "set in the past" series. Why would they build an "XCU" set in the 80s-90s? Another movie yes but what about the next Wolverine? Or X-Force? Should they be set in the past too? I don't think so. If they're going to be in the present/future, there should also be a proper X-Men series there too. Because the more those movies move forward, the further away the FC films will be.

Last edited:
So when I'm saying treat it like the Marvel films, consider the FC movies as the special "set in the past" series. Why would they build an "XCU" set in the 80s-90s? Another movie yes but what about the next Wolverine? Or X-Force? Should they be set in the past too? I don't think so. If they're going to be in the present/future, there should also be a proper X-Men series there too. Because the more those movies move forward, the further away the FC films will be.
The special set in the past series is now the main series though. And will have been for 7 years by the time 2018 gets here.

Wolverine can be either in the past or in the time he traveled with Yukio. As for X-Force it's not looking good on a release any time soon. And yeah, that should be set in the future. But which one? Lotta dates going around right now and I don't think they are planning on a crossover with the main series like everyone hoped.

It's not necessarily the main series. Remember Singer referred to DOFP and Apocalypse as "in-betweenquels" whatever that means, and the OT cast as the "classic coke" of X-Men. I also don't believe the Wolverine sequel will be set in that missing two years, that would be working backwards. I'm sure when we're done with DOFP and Apocalypse we're not going to care much about two years set in a timeline which is most likely erased.

It's not necessarily the main series. Remember Singer referred to DOFP and Apocalypse as "in-betweenquels" whatever that means, and the OT cast as the "classic coke" of X-Men.

It is the main series, it all is besides Wolverines side flicks. He calls them that because the time they take place in the timeine is literally inbetween the other films and also after.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/bryan-singer-says-x-men-apocalypse-sequel-has-mass-destruction/
I call these movies in-between-quels. It’s a mind-****, sometimes, in terms of where things fall in the timeline!

Last edited:
If that's the case then what's the point of bringing them back at all? If they aren't going to invest in another run of movies, which I personally don't see, then why bring them back for only one?!

They'll get far better ROI on the younger actors they cast for the roles in X-Men: Apocalypse and keep them for multiple movies then just dong one more with the OT cast.

That just seems like a colossal waste of time.

Oh God...
picard-facepalm-o.gif

I had this same conversation in another thread and I won't have it again (also because I can see your level of bias is pretty high).

If it was all about ROI every long term franchise film would cast babies in the main roles. :woot: [BLACKOUT](that's a joke)[/BLACKOUT] And anyway, to maximise ROI you need to keep the longstanding actors when they get older at least to a certain level, otherwise you're just chopping off the top end of the lifespan (& still negatively impacting this much touted ROI) instead of the bottom end. The real payoff to me comes when an actor has played a role for a long time and completely owns the character and is a veteran at playing them like Hugh Jackman is now.

And as for this waste of time argument regarding bringing actors together for one film if they're not going to be around after that...isn't that how most films work? Are all standalone films like Inception a waste of time then as they aren't going to do anything with the actors afterwards? What happens if they bring them back and we get the best ever X-Men film and then they all go their separate ways? Waste of time?

I'm more than happy to see a young bunch start out and build somewthing phenomenal over a number of decades even growing into their roles. But that doesn't mean we need to rule out other possibilities. (None of that was aimed at anyone in particular btw, I'm more talking to myself :yay:)

If it was all about ROI every long term franchise film would cast babies in the main roles. :woot: [BLACKOUT](that's a joke)[/BLACKOUT] And anyway, to maximise ROI you need to keep the longstanding actors when they get older at least to a certain level, otherwise you're just chopping off the top end of the lifespan (& still negatively impacting this much touted ROI) instead of the bottom end. The real payoff to me comes when an actor has played a role for a long time and completely owns the character and is a veteran at playing them like Hugh Jackman is now.

And as for this waste of time argument regarding bringing actors together for one film if they're not going to be around after that...isn't that how most films work? Are all standalone films like Inception a waste of time then as they aren't going to do anything with the actors afterwards? What happens if they bring them back and we get the best ever X-Men film and then they all go their separate ways? Waste of time?

I'm more than happy to see a young bunch start out and build somewthing phenomenal over a number of decades even growing into their roles. But that doesn't mean we need to rule out other possibilities. (None of that was aimed at anyone in particular btw, I'm more talking to myself :yay:)

:up:

I don't see any direction being inherently better than the other. Whether they go with the OT cast, or go with the past, or go with both, for me it's win, win, win.

Obviously, the OT cast are brought back to bring back interest that was lost in the prequels and spin-offs.

After X3, the original cast was given a break except for Hugh Jackman and this franchise noticeably declined at the domestic box-office with Origins, First Class and The Wolverine. But now suddenly a X-Men film is having a lot of buzz almost comparable to the buzz of X3 back in 2005/2006.

Its not hard to see that with every new film the OT cast appears in, the interest for this franchise gets higher and higher. Why throw the cast away, just to keep the franchise fresh with the younger versions of the characters we already saw before back in 2000? I think the general audience will be willing to see more from the OT cast if they have a story to tell and the writers could easily come up with a dozen of stories inspired from the comics.

Obviously, the OT cast are brought back to bring back interest that was lost in the prequels and spin-offs.

No. They were brought back for this particular story.

After X3, the original cast was given a break except for Hugh Jackman and this franchise noticeably declined at the domestic box-office with Origins, First Class and The Wolverine. But now suddenly a X-Men film is having a lot of buzz almost comparable to the buzz of X3 back in 2005/2006.
Yeah no, that buzz has nothing to do with the younger cast, the fact that FC was well received, or the never before seen-in this franchise- epic scope. No No. Its all about the OT returning.:whatever:

Its not hard to see that with every new film the OT cast appears in, the interest for this franchise gets higher and higher.
Can make the same EXACT argument for the FC cast.

^That will be only proven true if they can do that for 3 straight films. With their 2nd movie, they are sharing their movie with the cast that made this franchise successful in the 1st place.

And if you think they were only bringing the original cast back to tell this particular story then you are wrong. They are here to also sell tickets and increase the interest to a X-Men movie once again.

Its all about the OT returning.

You are correct.

Let's be honest here no matter which way you slice it the second film of
"FC" trilogy Is heavily shared with OT cast.

You likely have 30 to 40 minutes of film set In future with OT cast

You have Wolverine heavly Interacting with FC cast and with him guiding James Mcavoy Into becoming Patrick Stewart.

The OT cast are all over the promation of DOFP

Things scream of them doing DOFP to help box office by having the OT cast In
It.

Apocalypse may be a gamble if It Only has the FC big 4+newbees to franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"