Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

you just dont push back your big superhero movie two times if the movie is fine, for crying out loud.
lets apply some logic and use history as a clue. Its a bad sign, always is. screenings werent that great, some people didnt like it, you can find quite a few viewers out there if you pay some attention.

Lets leave the naive period in the 2003-2006 era lol. We all have grown up after all this time to know better.

you just dont push back your big superhero movie two times if the movie is fine, for crying out loud.
lets apply some logic and use history as a clue. Its a bad sign, always is. screenings werent that great, some people didnt like it, you can find quite a few viewers out there if you pay some attention.

Lets leave the naive period in the 2003-2006 era lol. We all have grown up after all this time to know better.

They didn’t have a second test screening when the second delay happened. So it’s pretty illogical to argue that the second time was for that reason.

Last edited:
Alita: Battle of Angels taking Dark Phoneix’s spot was expected by bloggers since early this year.

Link? Most of us have been following this movie since pre-production and any other news about the movie from various websites. That supposed "expected" release date swap was as much a surprise to people here.

Spin-off according to Kinberg hence no X-Men in the title. Like Captain America: Civil War was to Avengers: Age of Ultron.

What now? Between saying Entertainment Weekly saw the first 45 mins of Dark Phoenix (which they supposedly liked!) in December to this, I'm sorry it's hard for me to believe anything you're saying.

I've never heard of Kinberg calling this movie a spin-off. Is that your way of lowering the box office expectations for this? "It's a spin-off. Fox didn't expect it to do as well as the mainline films. It's fine if it does significantly less than the previous films."

Last edited:
Its like if we had some Fox producers on here doing press or something :funny:

DsAlD3sWsAE-KDy.jpg:large

Link? Most of us have been following this movie since pre-production and any other news about the movie from various websites. That supposed "expected" release date swap was as much a surprise to people here.
Especially the 2nd move/delay was announced more or less 48 hours after Dark Phoenix's trailer release. It was unXpected.

Didn’t say it was news, just predictions. Christopher Marc of Omega Underground called it way back in March.

I think few other bloggers made that prediction.

What now? Between saying Entertainment Weekly saw the first 45 mins of Dark Phoenix (which they supposedly liked!) in December to this, I'm sorry it's hard for me to believe anything you're saying.

I've never heard of Kinberg calling this movie a spin-off. Is that your way of lowering the box office expectations for this? "It's a spin-off. Fox didn't expect it to do as well as the mainline films. It's fine if it does significantly less than the previous films."

He didn’t use the word “spin-off” but he did say in the video interview with Collider that it’s just called Dark Phoenix for the same reason that Logan(a spin-off) isn’t titled X-Men: Logan, because everything resolves around Jean. Like how everything in Logan resolved around Wolverine.

Go to 21:21.

So what I said had nothing to do with Box Office expectations. Especially, when I compared it to Captain America: Civil War which made around as much money as the movie it spinned out of. So put the pitchfork down.

Last edited:
Dont be surprised if they move the date again.
I won't.

Something wicked is definitely happening behind the scenes.

I still prefer if they just released it in November 2018, therefore this FoxVerse would have been already done.

I won't.

I still prefer if they just released it in November 2018, therefore this FoxVerse would have been already done.

New Mutants and any X-film in production before Disney officially owns Fox.

I won't.

Since when is it wicked to change a release date? Happens all of the time.

Fox Film has announced the attractions and talents that will come to the Comic-Con Experience in São Paulo (brasil). Sophie Turner, Jessica Chastain and director Simon Kinberg attend the panel on Friday, December 7.
I wonder if they'll show any new footage

Since when is it wicked to change a release date? Happens all of the time.
Unless you ignore all the bad signs. Being moved twice which never happened to a X-Men film other than the New Mutants who happend to be in trouble as well, Disney merger and Kinberg's directorial debut. Then okay. It isn't just a simple move, who moves a film the second time after the trailer was just released 48 hours ago? And it was moved to a more crowded month and weekend when they were clearly avoiding a summer release with the previous dates. Why do these things need to be mentioned to you again and again? Jesus. I'm like a broken record. You want to pretend all is fine with this film, fine, enjoying pretending but don't Xpect the others to do so. "Happens all the time"... so if the film turned to be bad and underperformed, you would just say, "happens all the time". Do you know how asinine do you sound like?

Last edited:
There's so much spin going on in here I need to take Dramamine before I log on, lol...

James Cameron has a good relationship with Disney and one that will continue after the Disney takeover, largely because of the Avatar franchise in particular. They might well also be thinking of Battle Angel Alita as a franchise that will continue beyond the takeover, so it looks like Dark Phoenix is partly being moved around to accommodate that. That has to be at least part of the reason.

We know Fox's X-franchise is coming to a close, but Avatar and Alita will carry on unscathed.

I wouldn't be surprised if another reason for moving DP is they just don't know what to do with it, how to pitch it, what its audience will be. They are probably very unsure. Should it be a big summer blockbuster or a more intimate sci-fi drama? The space rescue sequence and the finale (supposedly with spaceships and aliens and a big battle) don't sound much like an intimate drama to me. And also Sophie Turner as Jean Grey does not have the star status of Hugh Jackman or Patrick Stewart or Ryan Reynolds.

And it's going to be difficult to make this feel like a spin-off because of all the other characters. Logan and Deadpool didn't have all these other characters to try to service. But it sounds like we should therefore expect very little from Storm, Nightcrawler, Selene, etc, they will just be very minor roles for special effects or action sequences. That annoys me intensely but at least it gives plenty of scope to Marvel Studios to do these characters right.

It just annoys the heck the out of me, when some people can easily brushed things off like as if the film had the simple release move and say "happens all the time". They have also wrapped principal photography in 2017, they had the biggest post prod time for any X-Men film, Deadpool 2 was even moved up and that one also went with reshoots and is getting rereleased next month with newer stuff. And this one gets moved/delayed twice? And the latest release date is the worst out of the 3 dates it's gotten so far. Also a studio merger with another big studio who happens to also make Marvel films, doesn't happen all the time. What is happening to this franchise is unprecedented even in comic book films. It's fine if people want to play pretend, but replying asinine comments like "happens all the time" just annoys the **** out of me, like as if I wasn't factoring a lot of things when I posted my opinions.

Last edited:
Didn’t say it was news, just predictions. Christopher Marc of Omega Underground called it way back in March.

I think few other bloggers made that prediction.

You made it sound like the bloggers in your story (plural) made the prediction based on rumblings from Fox.

The blogger you pointed out (singular) just sounds like he made a lucky guess and nothing more. I haven’t been following Christopher Marc’s posts long but he usually says if his news/rumours are based on sources. This one clearly wasn’t.

So what I said had nothing to do with Box Office expectations. Especially, when I compared it to Captain America: Civil War which made around as much money as the movie it spinned out of. So put the pitchfork down.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is unique in that they don’t do spin-offs. Ironman man came out first. Are you going to call The Avengers a spin-off of Ironman? Captain America 1 came out before The Avengers. How can you call Captain America 2 a spin-off of Avengers 2?

That’s just a bad example all around.

He didn’t use the word “spin-off” but he did say in the video interview with Collider that it’s just called Dark Phoenix for the same reason that Logan(a spin-off) isn’t titled X-Men: Logan, because everything resolves around Jean. Like how everything in Logan resolved around Wolverine.

Go to 21:21.

I knew that was going to be your supposed evidence. So no Kinberg didn’t use the word “spin-off.” If Kinberg actually called Dark Phoenix a "spin-off" of the X-men movies he'd be laughed at.

Also, your X-men: Logan example doesn’t make sense because the previous movie The Wolverine wasn’t called X-men: The Wolverine. Also X-men Origins: Wolverine was definitely a spin-off and yet there’s that pesky word in there “X-men.” All three movies were a spin off of the X-men movies, the fact that one had “X-men” in the title while the next titles didn’t only proves Fox’s inability to plan ahead and nothing more.

Just like they didn’t know February was a bad month for Dark Phoenix because: China...so I guess February is a good month for Fox’s other movie Alita because? Not China?

November was a bad month for Dark Phoenix because: 4-quadrant movie...so I guess November is a good month for Fox’s BohRap because? Not 4-quadrant?

Their lies are catching up to them yet some fans just let it slide.

You made it sound like the bloggers in your story (plural) made the prediction based on rumblings from Fox.

The blogger you pointed out (singular) just sounds like he made a lucky guess and nothing more. I haven’t been following Christopher Marc’s posts long but he usually says if his news/rumours are based on sources. This one clearly wasn’t.

Sorry if it sounded like that to you.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is unique in that they don’t do spin-offs. Ironman man came out first. Are you going to call The Avengers a spin-off of Ironman? Captain America 1 came out before The Avengers. How can you call Captain America 2 a spin-off of Avengers 2?

That’s just a bad example all around.

No, Avengers would fall under the definition of “crossover”. And how can I call Civil War a spin-off of Age of Ultron you ask? Because major plot points in that movie were the direct result of the events of Age of Ultron. The Accords, Tony being for it, and Zemo’s motive.

I knew that was going to be your supposed evidence. So no Kinberg didn’t use the word “spin-off.” If Kinberg actually called Dark Phoenix a "spin-off" of the X-men movies he'd be laughed at.

No, but he implied it.

Also, your X-men: Logan example doesn’t make sense because the previous movie The Wolverine wasn’t called X-men: The Wolverine. Also X-men Origins: Wolverine was definitely a spin-off and yet there’s that pesky word in there “X-men.” All three movies were a spin off of the X-men movies, the fact that one had “X-men” in the title while the next titles didn’t only proves Fox’s inability to plan ahead and nothing more.

“Origins” was also in the main title, not just X-Men. Which indicates that it wasn’t a main line film.

Last edited:
not to change the subject but I'm really excited to see the scene where the X-Men confront Jean at her childhood home. Im excited because in (almost) 20 years we have never seen Xavier out on a mission with them (minus pre-paralyzed Charles in First Class) in the field. I wonder if he and Jean will have some kind of physic battle after she whoops the X-Men butts LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"