• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

I read Chastain is playing
Skrull Queen/Cassandra Nova.
Taken from Twitter:

"Magneto's stunt with the baseball stadium f/ #DOFP awakens Jeans Grey's power earlier than expected. On the way home, Jean causes a car accident & her mother dies. At a later time, Jean goes to live at Charles Xavier's school. Something evil awaits her arrival. #DarkPhoenix"

"While Jean sleeps, Cassandra Nova feeds on her energy on the psychic plane because she has no body form. For years, this goes unnoticed. When the Xmen save the astronauts from space, DARKMATTER consumes Jean. Queen of the Skrulls take notice."

"The Queen of the Skrulls copy a female human's body and kills her. She eventually meets Jean and manipulates her. However, the Queen of the Skrulls body is taken over by Cassandra Nova and she out for revenge. To finally get revenge on her brother by controlling #DarkPhoenix"

"Charles Xavier never knew he psychically killed his sister during birth. This information was hidden from him for years. Just as he hid information from Jean Grey about her father not wanting her after the car accident. #DarkPhoenix"

"Cassandra Nova manipulates every situation to divide and destroy the Xmen. However, her real goal is to take the Phoenix force for herself or at least enough of it to kill Jean Grey and take over the world. #DarkPhoenix"

"Quicksilver dies. A skrull impersonating Mystique dies while she is held captive. "The ripple of the timeline eventually corrects itself." #DarkPhoenix"

"END CREDIT SCENE: Reverts back to Dark Phoenix destroying the Skrulls home planet. Off to a distance, Carol Danvers (Captain Marvel) flies by to handle a different world emergency. The Skrulls have infiltrated other planets."

Take this with a grain of salt though.. but could be the movie's "twist" and why the answer to who Chastain is playing is an amalgamation AND why the aliens have been described as resembling the
"mummudrai".

Um, no.

But not the Superbowl ad. I don't believe your "scoops", lets leave it at.

I explained why there ultimately was not a Super Bowl ad. They don’t buy spots for specific movies but for the studio overall. That’s how it works. You don’t have to believe me but when more footage comes out, I’m sure the tune will be different.

Taken from Twitter:

"Magneto's stunt with the baseball stadium f/ #DOFP awakens Jeans Grey's power earlier than expected. On the way home, Jean causes a car accident & her mother dies. At a later time, Jean goes to live at Charles Xavier's school. Something evil awaits her arrival. #DarkPhoenix"

"While Jean sleeps, Cassandra Nova feeds on her energy on the psychic plane because she has no body form. For years, this goes unnoticed. When the Xmen save the astronauts from space, DARKMATTER consumes Jean. Queen of the Skrulls take notice."

"The Queen of the Skrulls copy a female human's body and kills her. She eventually meets Jean and manipulates her. However, the Queen of the Skrulls body is taken over by Cassandra Nova and she out for revenge. To finally get revenge on her brother by controlling #DarkPhoenix"

"Charles Xavier never knew he psychically killed his sister during birth. This information was hidden from him for years. Just as he hid information from Jean Grey about her father not wanting her after the car accident. #DarkPhoenix"

"Cassandra Nova manipulates every situation to divide and destroy the Xmen. However, her real goal is to take the Phoenix force for herself or at least enough of it to kill Jean Grey and take over the world. #DarkPhoenix"

"Quicksilver dies. A skrull impersonating Mystique dies while she is held captive. "The ripple of the timeline eventually corrects itself." #DarkPhoenix"

"END CREDIT SCENE: Reverts back to Dark Phoenix destroying the Skrulls home planet. Off to a distance, Carol Danvers (Captain Marvel) flies by to handle a different world emergency. The Skrulls have infiltrated other planets."

Take this with a grain of salt though.. but could be the movie's "twist" and why the answer to who Chastain is playing is an amalgamation AND why the aliens have been described as resembling the
"mummudrai".

Nope, sounds cool but nope.

It's just deflection to make it seem more like they aren't worried about this film to me. It doesn't matter if people want to believe this film being pushed back means it wont happen. WW84 I guess isn't happening either as it was pushed back even more than DP was.

This is written by a non native english speaker
"Queen of the Skrulls take notice.
The Queen of the Skrulls copy a female human's body"

Edit: Oh, now i see it's chinesse.

A lot must’ve been lost in translation, then. I may be a fool, but I very much believe my source, and that’s not how I know it to go down.

Chastain is (as of that screening) an unnamed leader of an unnamed alien race with no connection to Xavier. She does eventually try to transfer the Phoenix Force to herself, but is only partially successful. She tries again at the very end, but Jean destroys her as she sacrifices herself. The aliens don’t really shapeshift as much as they adopt the skin of humans.

Taken from Twitter:

"mummudrai".

Sounds similar to the Shadow King.

lol For some reason, I can't see Kinberg writing something as interesting as this..
Yeah when I read that I was like “wow this is actually cool!”...Til the end..which is never gonna happen. There is 0% chance of this version of the X-Men continuing after this film. I’ve honestly loved most of what Fox has done but it’s time for something new. I just hope this movie turns out better than what everyone’s expecting and they end on a good note.

A lot must’ve been lost in translation, then. I may be a fool, but I very much believe my source, and that’s not how I know it to go down.

Chastain is (as of that screening) an unnamed leader of an unnamed alien race with no connection to Xavier. She does eventually try to transfer the Phoenix Force to herself, but is only partially successful. She tries again at the very end, but Jean destroys her as she sacrifices herself. The aliens don’t really shapeshift as much as they adopt the skin of humans.

Bold: Yeah, that sounds like a Mummudrai. Even what Jessica’s character is trying do is something a “certain” Mummudrai tried to do a comic storyline.

I explained to you why foreign films are held back during CNY which you didn't seem to understand initially. Studios change their release schedules all the time. Their first decisions are not always the final decisions. You need to understand that.
If Alita was already playing from its initial December North American winter date and it got a January release date in China, it probably would've done well before CNY and in the weeks after. Besides experts who've followed this movie have said they changed the date of Alita from Dec 2018 to Feb 2019 because they wanted to let it play during Chinese New Year. Instead they got a February 22nd release date meaning it won't enjoy the holidays of CNY (which is from Feb.5 to Feb.18).
It's usually the production manager's job to organize scheduling. Endgame's reshoots didn't start shooting as scheduled either. Not everything will flow like clockwork on a film production.
For over a year now you've been admonishing anyone that blamed Kinberg for the lacklustre scripts from his previous movies. He didn't direct those, you said, so it ultimately wasn't up to him. You've told people that X3, F4 and Apocalypse were Ratner's, Trank's and Singer's faults respectively.

What happened to that narrative?
Endzo.....this is not that difficult to understand. Search theatrical movie schedule additions and changes and you'll see listed date changes every week for films. Disney released a teaser trailer of Mary Poppins Returns with their original release date that had later been changed where the official trailer shown months later reflected the new release date. These things happen, Endzo.

I wonder how planned those Endgame scenes were that had been reshot so extensively (considering you regard the few weeks of Dark Phoenix as "extensive"). I'm glad they're spending more time with visual effects for Dark Phoenix because it didn't work so well for Apocalypse (especially the third act). Better to give more time than rush a sloppy result.
Most of those movies have not had first-time directors, with horrendous ghost-directing experiences, with bad word-of-mouth screenings. Most of those movies didn't shift their release date TWICE. ALL of those movies didn't feature the wrong release date for months LATER, Cktop33.
Then let me re-frame it based on the dataset rather than your Kinberg obsession. The sweet spot for a wide-release film seems to be about 3000 screens. Releasing in over 4000 screens is almost a necessity for a potential $150M+ opener. But those screens have to be reserved in advance (deals usually worked out between the distributor and theater chains). "Distributors desperately scramble to get as many good screens as they can, simply so they can generate as much money as they can preferably in the shortest amount of time." The big box office season is still regarded during the summer where the summer months show a clear uptick for the average screen count of a movie release, followed closely by the Nov-Dec holiday season, with a few blip exceptions.
So you think this is a $150M+ opener? This same studio was afraid to open against a movie in November that made $20M on opening weekend and ultimately only banked $170M+ WORLDWIDE. Apocalypse--the last movie in this franchise--made your $150M+ in three months, NOT three days...

Take off those rose-coloured glasses, Cyclops. Fox didn't move this movie to June so they can make $150M+ on opening weekend.

They moved it because the movie is not finished! Unless Fox is willing to release an unfinished movie, anything other than that is just noise.

Last edited:
You mean of the recent one that happened two weeks ago. You may want to drop the plural at the end of screenings.
I meant all the screenings. Plural. With an 's.'

Frankly, the number of screenings (based on your twitter source) is irrelevant here.

A studio will not delay a movie if the word-of-mouth on any of their screenings were good. Anyone who believes that from the early word on the initial screenings should be sold the Brooklyn Bridge.

lol For some reason, I can't see Kinberg writing something as interesting as this..

He didn’t, and that looks an awful lot like something I wrote last summer on these very forums as a “what if”

I meant all the screenings. Plural. With an 's.'

I don't care how many of them there were based on your twitter source.

A studio will not delay a movie if the word-of-mouth on any of their screenings were good. Anyone who believes that from the early word on the initial screenings should be sold the Brooklyn Bridge.

Well if you’re going to believe alleged screenings which existence don’t make much sense...then go on ahead.

They only changed the third act and reshoot Sophie’s scenes on account of her losing weight. So it seems the third act was the only real problem to the overall test audience. Similar to World War Z.

I have my own source who has called the movie (pre reshoots) a cataclysmic disaster. I don't need to listen to the noise on twitter.

The third act is 1/3rd of the movie. You're gonna tell people that's not significant?

Besides...Kinberg has already admitted in an interview the third act WASN'T the only thing they changed.

That DOFP cross-promo with ASM2 was part of a deal between the two rival studios because Marc Webb the director of Sony's Spidey 2 was originally slated to direct a film for Fox as part of his contract following Fox Searchlight's 500 Days of Summer. The two studios agreed that Fox would allow Sony to direct their Spidey sequel if Sony allowed Fox to do free marketing for X-men.

Totally different scenarios...

And what is that exactly?

This is so tone deaf, I don’t even know where to start.

Making stories about discrimination taken to its extreme end, from X-Men 1 to Apocalypse they have been doing that and they have done it well, they took the temes and made the movies around them, instead of just making random movies then slap the name of a random character on them...

did you believe Kinberg and Zak Penn around 2005 when they kept promising great things for X3?

that should give you a clue about how Hollywood and producers work.

No idea, i was a kid back there and i did not used as much the internet. But X3 did have great moments in it like Wolverine killing Jean so...

Well if you’re going to believe alleged screenings which existence don’t make much sense...then go on ahead.

They only changed the third act and reshoot Sophie’s scenes on account of her losing weight. So it seems the third act was the only real problem to the overall test audience. Similar to World War Z.

Similar to WWZ in that they completely reshot the third act and scrapped the old one, yes. Only reshot it because Sophie lost weight? No.

I have my own source who has called the movie (pre reshoots) a cataclysmic disaster. I don't need to listen to the noise on twitter.

The third act is 1/3rd of the movie. You're gonna tell people that's not significant?

And my source was the same guy who leaked the Deadpool 2 plot to Manabyte. He didn’t like this movie himself but that’s what he said was different plot-wise.

Will you please stop with the strawmaning. Didn’t say that wasn’t a significant. But it doesn’t seems like the whole movie was the problem.

Besides...Kinberg has already admitted in an interview the third act WASN'T the only thing they changed.

Likely referring to Sophie’s scenes.

To be fair, test screenings and test audiences are dumb and pointless. They exist because studios have no idea how to do movies. You make a script, and then you change it until is good, that is what is all about: make a good story, make a good script, then you shoot the movie and then you release it, everything else is pointless meddling by people who have no idea about art or filmmaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"