Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

i'm not surprised. I'm more irritated than anything. This is why they were going after spinoffs and neglecting the main installments

They were not neglecting the main series. everything was being treated the exact same way by FOX

The odd thing about the spin offs is that when one was announced people here complained, and when they didn't announce any... people complained.

That's a good point about the MCU films. They all do look the same. I think Ragnorak is the only one that has a different feel. I know they want their films to feel like they are in the same universe but they should shake things up to keep it fresh.

"Chris" needs to wait till he actually sees the movie to talk about directorial style, at least that's what everyone on this board says whenever you emit an opinion.

Diferent superhero movies,with quality.

X2
Dofp Rogue cut
X-Men
X-Men FC
the Wolverine
Logan
Avengers age of Ultron
Black Panther
Captain America First Avenger
Captain America Winter soldier
The Dark knight
Wonder Woman
Suicide Squad
Watchmen
Iron Man
Iron Man 3
Hulk (Ang Lee)
Spider-man 1,2,3(Sam Raimi)

x2_07.jpg

Legion season 3 with Xavier,but without Patrick Stewart or McAvoy.Free recast again

Diferent superhero movies,with quality.

X2
Dofp Rogue cut
X-Men
X-Men FC
the Wolverine
Logan
Avengers age of Ultron
Black Panther
Captain America First Avenger
Captain America Winter soldier
The Dark knight
Wonder Woman
Suicide Squad
Watchmen
Iron Man
Iron Man 3
Hulk (Ang Lee)
Spider-man 1,2,3(Sam Raimi)

x2_07.jpg

And Del Toros Hellboy

Legion season 3 with Xavier,but without Patrick Stewart or McAvoy.Free recast again

Unlike The Gifted, Legion felt very very much it's own universe. And from the sounds of it (given the actors age) they were going wiht a young Xavier, hence no Patricl Stewart.

Though, if they were going with an older Xavier I would have loved Patrick in the role, even if it's not meant connected to the films.

My only complaint with the creative liberties is there doesn't really seem to be any purpose to them within the X-Men universe and there hasn't been a solid superhero message in any of the non-Singer X-films.

Edit: LSD may be implying that a Gambit spinoff's not a wise move for Marvel. With so many canons or literature to work with as it is, dissecting the X-men with solos would probably leave the MCU feeling very convoluted. The nice thing about it is a lot of these characters are already well-known to the masses. Their development can happen in a matter of minutes without delving too much into any of their pasts, especially prominent characters like Professor X, Jean, Magneto, Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, Beast, Colossus, maybe even Rogue, Nightcrawler and Shadowcat.

One of the best examples, in my opinion, of how to handle this may just be x-men legends, the videogame. The characters are introduced through the eyes of a new recruit, some of them have a brief story to tell, others have flashbacks, characters are introduced consecutively until you have a roster of about 15 characters by the end.

Last edited:
That Shuller-Donner interview pretty much tells me New Mutants isn't getting a theatrical release. They're just kicking the can down the road waiting for Disney to take over and waiting to see what they do with that title.

But that's because "Directing is not complicated. In fact, it's the veteran directors that just end up going through the default motions." :cwink:

My only complaint with the creative liberties is there doesn't really seem to be any purpose to them within the X-Men universe and there hasn't been a solid superhero message in any of the non-Singer X-films.

Edit: LSD may be implying that a Gambit spinoff's not a wise move for Marvel. With so many canons or literature to work with as it is, dissecting the X-men with solos would probably leave the MCU feeling very convoluted. The nice thing about it is a lot of these characters are already well-known to the masses. Their development can happen in a matter of minutes without delving too much into any of their pasts, especially prominent characters like Professor X, Jean, Magneto, Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, Beast, Colossus, maybe even Rogue, Nightcrawler and Shadowcat.

One of the best examples, in my opinion, of how to handle this may just be x-men legends, the videogame. The characters are introduced through the eyes of a new recruit, some of them have a brief story to tell, others have flashbacks, characters are introduced consecutively until you have a roster of about 15 characters by the end.

But is the MCU going to do any more solo films for Thor, Captain America or Iron Man? Whatever the fates of those characters in Endgame, I don't see any more solo features coming for those three. And they probably won't bother with any more Ant-Man.

That leaves them with Avengers, Spider-Man and Black Panther. Avengers will take a rest for a while after Endgame, so that leaves two more Spider-Man and two more Black Panther. That's four potential films to introduce an X-Men member. One of the BP films could introduce the new Storm, for instance.

I'd say there's room creatively for exploring the X-Men world, with Alpha Flight and Weapon X among the possible options.

Fox itself was planning Dark Phoenix, New Mutants, Multiple Man, Gambit, Kitty Pryde and Doctor Doom....

What would I have to gain from lying? You don’t have to believe me, and I know that fox brought one spot, and they asked everyone to prepare something. They ultimately chose Alita. How am I to know anything beyond that unless I’m actually in the production? Everything else I’ve said checks out.
But not the Superbowl ad. I don't believe your "scoops", lets leave it at.

So that Chinese New Years poster was released a hour before Disney released their similar posters.

Hmm...

A Dark Phoenix poster featuring the Wolverine, Deadpool and silhouettes' from Apocalypse's promo pictures. Fan made.

Oh another tweets that compliments Dark PhoeniX and shoots down a Mcu film? And when people do the opposite here, you're the first one to complain about trolling?

Last edited:
But is the MCU going to do any more solo films for Thor, Captain America or Iron Man? Whatever the fates of those characters in Endgame, I don't see any more solo features coming for those three. And they probably won't bother with any more Ant-Man.

That leaves them with Avengers, Spider-Man and Black Panther. Avengers will take a rest for a while after Endgame, so that leaves two more Spider-Man and two more Black Panther. That's four potential films to introduce an X-Men member. One of the BP films could introduce the new Storm, for instance.

I'd say there's room creatively for exploring the X-Men world, with Alpha Flight and Weapon X among the possible options.

Fox itself was planning Dark Phoenix, New Mutants, Multiple Man, Gambit, Kitty Pryde and Doctor Doom....
Mcu pretty much limits their solo heroes to a trilogy when it comes to solo films and I bet gotg won't get a 4th film.

The interview with Lauren is funny, because as if her franchise is doing much better (its not) like as if Kevin needs to change things up (hello Infinity War), then we witnessed how over the place Fox was last year with new film in development reports, the continuous bragging of how their films are so different. Now most of the films in the "works" are dead, Gambit is a result of their incompetence (time can always catch you up) and a finished film that may not hit theaters? a mess. And of course Dark PhoeniX who have been delayed twice and surrounded by bad buzz.

Between, Donner and Feige, we know who's the one in the cloud nine right now. I just wonder if Donner regrets things from the past that she have approved on, letting Kinberg take over for example. As a producer of a 20 year old+ franchise (Well going back to when they hired Singer in 1996), its gonna be a big bummer that the last film would get really bad reviews and another film that would just head to streaming? And the thing is the properties that have adapted deserve much more respect and care and this is why I can't wait for them to be fired especially Kinberg, from being involved in these Marvel films. They already got their chance for 20+ years.

Last edited:
I don't see the point in solo X-men films. Their best stories, even individually are team stories. I've never seen anyone recommend a solo X-men book or seen one outside of Wolverine who can hold an on going book.

Kinberg and Fox chose that February release date knowing (1) X-men is big in China (2) Chinese New Year is in February. Unless they think Chinese New Year is held on different months or unless they were ok with Dark Phoenix tanking in China, there really are no excuses for their incompetence. And if that date so close to CNY was so untenable, they also don't get pats on the back for flaking out on a decision that shouldn't have been made in the first place.
I explained to you why foreign films are held back during CNY which you didn't seem to understand initially. Studios change their release schedules all the time. Their first decisions are not always the final decisions. You need to understand that.

Congrats to Kinberg for not scheduling in reshoots for his cast properly. What's funny is he correctly says all these big Hollywood films do reshoots and they're normal yet he didn't think to schedule them for his cast.
It's usually the production manager's job to organize scheduling. Endgame's reshoots didn't start shooting as scheduled either. Not everything will flow like clockwork on a film production.

You're probably the only person who has ever come up with that reasoning. Considering versions of the trailer stated February 2019 as the movie's release date, then no it wasn't a temporary placeholder. The truth is Kinberg so proudly told the fans that it was a date they loved because Black Panther and Deadpool before it did gangbusters in prior years yet here we are months later, the reshoots so extensive, the third act they initially had wasn't planned and/or written when they shot it (it never is with the X-men movies), and the effects so laborious they had no choice but to delay it a second time.
Endzo.....this is not that difficult to understand. Search theatrical movie schedule additions and changes and you'll see listed date changes every week for films. Disney released a teaser trailer of Mary Poppins Returns with their original release date that had later been changed where the official trailer shown months later reflected the new release date. These things happen, Endzo.

I wonder how planned those Endgame scenes were that had been reshot so extensively (considering you regard the few weeks of Dark Phoenix as "extensive"). I'm glad they're spending more time with visual effects for Dark Phoenix because it didn't work so well for Apocalypse (especially the third act). Better to give more time than rush a sloppy result.

I agree that they most likely gained premium screens from the departing Gambit (X-men movies have had a hard time scoring IMAX screens), but you really think there's more screen availability in the summer? Do you hear yourself? That sounds like another Kinberg LieTM.
Then let me re-frame it based on the dataset rather than your Kinberg obsession. The sweet spot for a wide-release film seems to be about 3000 screens. Releasing in over 4000 screens is almost a necessity for a potential $150M+ opener. But those screens have to be reserved in advance (deals usually worked out between the distributor and theater chains). "Distributors desperately scramble to get as many good screens as they can, simply so they can generate as much money as they can preferably in the shortest amount of time." The big box office season is still regarded during the summer where the summer months show a clear uptick for the average screen count of a movie release, followed closely by the Nov-Dec holiday season, with a few blip exceptions.
Box-office results reflect neither the appeal of the actual movies—nor their quality—but the number of screens on which they are playing and the efficacy of the marketing that drove an audience into the theaters.

What would I have to gain from lying? You don’t have to believe me, and I know that fox brought one spot, and they asked everyone to prepare something. They ultimately chose Alita. How am I to know anything beyond that unless I’m actually in the production? Everything else I’ve said checks out.
Heard they supposedly have a trailer ready from someone who's seen screenshots of it with details explained by a production assistant. It will supposedly be a vfx heavy emotional trailer showing a lot of the space shuttle mission sequence (which I'm very interested to see) toward the first part of the trailer; will have some dialogue from Storm and Jean turning "evil" toward the end of the trailer. Unknown what will be shown in the middle part. Heard there's some back and forth of when they want to premiere it: with Captain Marvel (probably because more viewers will see that film) but they may premiere sooner anyway with Alita (or online at least). We'll see.

Last edited:
I know we’re approaching the 2nd release date for the film and it’s hard that we still have so little but I think you guys are just getting impatient with the trailer. Barely any of the major June releases have put out second trailers yet, barely any of the May releases even have second trailers yet. I think it’d make a lot more sense to debut it with Captain Marvel which is gonna have a huge audience vs. Alita which no one is going to even see.

I read Chastain is playing
Skrull Queen/Cassandra Nova.
Taken from Twitter:

"Magneto's stunt with the baseball stadium f/ #DOFP awakens Jeans Grey's power earlier than expected. On the way home, Jean causes a car accident & her mother dies. At a later time, Jean goes to live at Charles Xavier's school. Something evil awaits her arrival. #DarkPhoenix"

"While Jean sleeps, Cassandra Nova feeds on her energy on the psychic plane because she has no body form. For years, this goes unnoticed. When the Xmen save the astronauts from space, DARKMATTER consumes Jean. Queen of the Skrulls take notice."

"The Queen of the Skrulls copy a female human's body and kills her. She eventually meets Jean and manipulates her. However, the Queen of the Skrulls body is taken over by Cassandra Nova and she out for revenge. To finally get revenge on her brother by controlling #DarkPhoenix"

"Charles Xavier never knew he psychically killed his sister during birth. This information was hidden from him for years. Just as he hid information from Jean Grey about her father not wanting her after the car accident. #DarkPhoenix"

"Cassandra Nova manipulates every situation to divide and destroy the Xmen. However, her real goal is to take the Phoenix force for herself or at least enough of it to kill Jean Grey and take over the world. #DarkPhoenix"

"Quicksilver dies. A skrull impersonating Mystique dies while she is held captive. "The ripple of the timeline eventually corrects itself." #DarkPhoenix"

"END CREDIT SCENE: Reverts back to Dark Phoenix destroying the Skrulls home planet. Off to a distance, Carol Danvers (Captain Marvel) flies by to handle a different world emergency. The Skrulls have infiltrated other planets."

Take this with a grain of salt though.. but could be the movie's "twist" and why the answer to who Chastain is playing is an amalgamation AND why the aliens have been described as resembling the
"mummudrai".

Lauren's interview is priceless. I dont even know where to start lol.

"You cant have too many movies, people would get tired. you need each movie to be distinctive and different...."

yeah, thats why you guys are doing Dark Phoenix with Charles-Magneto dynamic all over again, right, Lauren? :funny:

if there is one universe that have played the same bits to deaths is your franchise, not MCU that have explored like 8-10 different characters?

and lets not talk about her quote of "you cant have too many canons"... what canon? if Fox and you all cant even keep at least one? :funny: :funny:

At least she realizes Kevin Feige is the right guy for the X-Men (and not we know who, just like she does too probably)

I read Chastain is playing
Skrull Queen/Cassandra Nova.
Taken from Twitter:

"Magneto's stunt with the baseball stadium f/ #DOFP awakens Jeans Grey's power earlier than expected. On the way home, Jean causes a car accident & her mother dies. At a later time, Jean goes to live at Charles Xavier's school. Something evil awaits her arrival. #DarkPhoenix"

"While Jean sleeps, Cassandra Nova feeds on her energy on the psychic plane because she has no body form. For years, this goes unnoticed. When the Xmen save the astronauts from space, DARKMATTER consumes Jean. Queen of the Skrulls take notice."

"The Queen of the Skrulls copy a female human's body and kills her. She eventually meets Jean and manipulates her. However, the Queen of the Skrulls body is taken over by Cassandra Nova and she out for revenge. To finally get revenge on her brother by controlling #DarkPhoenix"

"Charles Xavier never knew he psychically killed his sister during birth. This information was hidden from him for years. Just as he hid information from Jean Grey about her father not wanting her after the car accident. #DarkPhoenix"

"Cassandra Nova manipulates every situation to divide and destroy the Xmen. However, her real goal is to take the Phoenix force for herself or at least enough of it to kill Jean Grey and take over the world. #DarkPhoenix"

"Quicksilver dies. A skrull impersonating Mystique dies while she is held captive. "The ripple of the timeline eventually corrects itself." #DarkPhoenix"

"END CREDIT SCENE: Reverts back to Dark Phoenix destroying the Skrulls home planet. Off to a distance, Carol Danvers (Captain Marvel) flies by to handle a different world emergency. The Skrulls have infiltrated other planets."

Take this with a grain of salt though.. but could be the movie's "twist" and why the answer to who Chastain is playing is an amalgamation AND why the aliens have been described as resembling the
"mummudrai".

The ending leads me to believe it's fake, plus the species name used as Jessica Chastains "body".

That being said I don't actually mind the idea of the "entity" and how it is used in the story. It actually sounds like a good twist (whihc up to this point seemed to be you-know-whos death).
Plus gives an emotional connection between Jean, Chastain and Xavier, over random aliens.

I also like the connection to DoFP in beginning. That's the most plausible aspect, we even see Jean there in the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"