Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

The trailers looked bland and the negative reception has turned me off. It just looks so generic and boring. Will wait for the digital release.

I hear the third act, which was significantly re-shot apparently, was great and different. Can anyone who’s seen it advise with NO spoilers?

Thank you.

The trailers looked bland and the negative reception has turned me off. It just looks so generic and boring. Will wait for the digital release.

I hear the third act, which was significantly re-shot apparently, was great and different. Can anyone who’s seen it advise with NO spoilers?

Thank you.
Chris Stuckmann said it was different to the first two acts and that it really felt like something that came from reshoots and the direction was improved... while others said the first 20 minutes were the best parts of the film.

Space mission was the best part of the movie for me. Visually, sound. It all worked well. The third act wasn’t too bad to be completely honest there was a big chunk of action it all just felt so closed in because of the train sequence. Each character had a good visual moment at that point but overall first 20 minutes were fantastic.

Warning, the video contains spoilers

Dazzler is their favorite moment. The first guy rated it 2 and a half out of 5. The second guy called it as the worst film in the series and gave it a 1. According to them, even the action was very inconsistent.

Thank you.
I echo Stuckmann’s sentiment. I felt like the third act was lifted from a great movie and was pasted here. The shift in tone was noticeable. Taken in isolation, it was pretty enjoyable since the action was snappy and well-choreographed — but that’s all there is to it; the noticeable shift threw me off.

The space mission (while having good cinematography) was too heavily edited for me to truly enjoy it. It felt obligatory just to be able to say that they were lifting directly from the comics this time.

I echo Stuckmann’s sentiment. I felt like the third act was lifted from a great movie and was pasted here. The shift in tone was noticeable. Taken in isolation, it was pretty enjoyable since the action was snappy and well-choreographed — but that’s all there is to it; the noticeable shift threw me off.

The space mission (while having good cinematography) was too heavily edited for me to truly enjoy it. It felt obligatory just to be able to say that they were lifting directly from the comics this time.
I agree the editing was off in the mission but overall it set a good tone for the film and had some very good visuals and sound moments. It’s the first time I felt while watching an X-Men movie that things were expansive. Every X-Men movie just looks so on a set. The space mission for the first time didn’t feel that way. I enjoyed the train action it was done well but like you said it felt like a different movie you can tell it was the reshoots.

Thanks psylockolussus & autumnkid2000.

Can someone explain to me the logic of giving the directorial job of the movie (in this case Simon Kinberg) to someone who has no previous film directing experience whatsoever? Yes he directed a TV episode & has a written the script for a number a of the X-Men movies, but still, it's hard to believe studio heads went ahead with the decision.

Can someone explain to me the logic of giving the directorial job of the movie (in this case Simon Kinberg) to someone who has no previous film directing experience whatsoever? Yes he directed a TV episode & has a written the script for a number a of the X-Men movies, but still, it's hard to believe studio heads went ahead with the decision.
Its like foXjust gave up and handed the franchise to him and didnt bother to look for some new writers and a replacement to Singer. Also Kinberg probably got some salary cut in order to direct, and we know how Fox has always been thrifty when it comes to their cash cow.

It’s really mind boggling. I really don’t know what the end game was with this movie from a Fox point of view. Like they didn’t even have hope for it. Why bother spending that money?

It’s really mind boggling. I really don’t know what the end game was with this movie from a Fox point of view. Like they didn’t even have hope for it. Why bother spending that money?
I think they also got too comfortable with Kinberg. First letting him oversee the entire franchise (which led to the films ignoring each other when they are supposed to be part of a singular continuity/world). Second, lazyness and they have other films that were in the works/development that Dark Phoenix just became one of many things to do. Also just over all bad direction of the franchise. Ditching the original cast for the younger versions who are stuck in the past and doesn't seem to age despite 3 time jumps was never a good idea. You don't end a franchise / an era without the cast that started it all. And according to the reviews, it doesn't even act like as the culmination of the series!

I think they also got too comfortable with Kinberg. First letting him oversee the entire franchise (which led to the films ignoring each other when they are supposed to be part of a singular continuity/world). Second, lazyness and they have other films that were in the works/prediction that Dark Phoenix just became one of many things to do. Also just bad direction of the franchise. Ditching the original cast for the younger versions who are stuck in the past and doesn't seem to age despite 3 time jumps was never a good idea. You don't get a franchise / an era without the cast that started it all. And according to the reviews, it doesn't even act like as the culmination of the series!

It's probably not a culmination at all because Kinberg thoroughly expects to be doing more X-Men films after this. He's just getting started!

It's probably not a culmination at all because Kinberg thoroughly expects to be doing more X-Men films after this. He's just getting started!
Well didn't they announce 3 placeholder dates for 2020 and 1 for 2021. Dark PhoeniX was never intended to be the culmination of the series, yet Kinberg keeps saying that the film was intended to be the culmination from the getgo and of course not all the critics know the bts truth, and they saw the film and was eXpecting some grand finale or a culmination of the series, and didn't get really that after seeing the film and that's another reason why the reviews are so bad.

I agree the editing was off in the mission but overall it set a good tone for the film and had some very good visuals and sound moments. It’s the first time I felt while watching an X-Men movie that things were expansive. Every X-Men movie just looks so on a set. The space mission for the first time didn’t feel that way. I enjoyed the train action it was done well but like you said it felt like a different movie you can tell it was the reshoots.

I see where you are coming from.

Mind-boggling, isn’t it? It’s like they buried their heads in the sand with this one and did not even bother to try putting up a decent movie. And I agree with Psylockolossus: I think they got too comfortable with Kinberg. There are reports of Bryan Singer going AWOL on the set of Apocalypse and Kinberg stepped in to ghost-direct — maybe for the studio execs it was easy to attribute Apocalypse’s failings to Singer alone and view Kinberg as the savior? Guess we’ll never know.

Critics have been posturing against this film for all time to see and now their biased views on display. The good reviews that are there are genuine and obviously being fair to this entertainment product. Kinberg who is a visionary but keeps behind the scenes and is modest has been targeted from the get go like other quiet artists with unique and singular creative visions such as Zack Snider.

He has created a product that is crisp and with integrity intact. Let that judge for itself. When we see the film we too can judge the craftsmanship of this sensitive delicate yet dedicated polished filmmaker. He has taken this all by himself and has made something that many like. The critics in this case have been at it and biased since the delays by Fox to look for a better box office window. It becomes an investigatory process into seeing what critics’ approach to film scholarship is, but it should be clear to not have an agenda and maintain a balanced view (clearly the positive reviews reflect this and therefore are real genuine reflections of this crafted venture).

Seeing it will open at $50 million this week and have a higher global opening weekend than other films is clearly a sign that audiences are waiting with baited breath for a Kinberg watermarked X-men motion picture feature.

I'm very happy to see you posting!

If you don't like it, that's totally valid and fine! Just bury the dead horse and stop beating it. It's all over now, Disney will save you. They will protect you and give you all the candy you want!

Yeah, Candy! Stupid Disney Marvel Baby Wuvs Candy!

Last edited:
Mind-boggling, isn’t it? It’s like they buried their heads in the sand with this one and did not even bother to try putting up a decent movie. And I agree with Psylockolossus: I think they got too comfortable with Kinberg. There are reports of Bryan Singer going AWOL on the set of Apocalypse and Kinberg stepped in to ghost-direct — maybe for the studio execs it was easy to attribute Apocalypse’s failings to Singer alone and view Kinberg as the savior? Guess we’ll never know.

Well that's what they did with Fant4stic as well, so it's hardly surprising here.

some reviewers are saying the last stand was better ??? what ?

well atleast the molestation of our characters will stop with this movie and on to bigger and better things

well atleast the molestation of our characters will stop with this movie and on to bigger and better things

Let's refrain from using this type of terminology, shall we? It's a comparison in bad taste and is fairly offensive.

Having seen it this would be my ranking of the franchise. 1-8 are all great movies.

1. X-Men: Days of Future Past
2. X2: X-Men United
3. Logan
4. X-Men: First Class
5. Deadpool
6. X-Men
7. The Wolverine
8. Deadpool 2

————————————

9. X-Men: The Last Stand
10. Dark Phoenix
11. X-Men: Apocalypse
12. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

I need a second viewing of DP to see if I prefer it over Last Stand. Even though I don’t like Last Stand I can watch it. Compared to Apocalypse or Origins which I flat out don’t watch.

X3 wasn't crafted by 1 person. Matthew Vaughn probably had ideas in it as well as he was the one who cast Juggernaut in the film.

Dark PhoeniX is a solely a Kinberg eXperimation gone wrong.

Let's refrain from using this type of terminology, shall we? It's a comparison in bad taste and is fairly offensive.

Another term I've seen people use here in bad taste is "rape" - eg if some contrarian poster scoffs at fans and says "Oh look at these fanboys who feel their childhood has been raped because things have been changed from comics to screen." That's offensive too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"