Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix Score - Hans Zimmer To Compose

The Powell score was very inspired, I hope since the X-Men are more different than the usual drab heroes he scores, the score reflects it as well. And since you mention de BVS score at least the Wonder Woman theme came out of that and it’s a pretty flexible theme that works with many instruments (the orchestral version done by Danny Elfman was very nice in JL), so I’m hoping at least a memorable theme for the Phoenix hopefully.

The Last Stand has some nice themes indeed.

If we're lucky, this could be another case like The Last Samurai where Hanz Zimmer pours a lot of heart on a rather mediocre project, and brings in wonders.

Hans Zimmer on the set of Dark Phoenix.

So he is working on Dark Phoenix right now?

D8nrHkM.jpg

I hope he does not go in auto-pilot for this, his music elevates every movie he works on so i think is gonna make a good movie sound awesome.

Even if it turns out to be a mediocre effort from Zimmer (which I doubt), I can't imagine it being worse than HGW's forgettable work on Origins or Ottman's obvious RCP temp track imitation on DoFP.

I've been saying that since Zimmer's involvement was announced.

So I posted about this in the main thread but no one noticed it. So...that sounds like Hans Zimmers score on the new trailer... what do you guys think?? Thought it sounded pretty good... but a little Man of Steel/Superman-ish...

So I posted about this in the main thread but no one noticed it. So...that sounds like Hans Zimmers score on the new trailer... what do you guys think?? Thought it sounded pretty good... but a little Man of Steel/Superman-ish...
No I don't think so. However, I can see why you'd think that since trailer music as of late has incorporated elements of Zimmer's previous scores. Case in point the music in the trailer during the train sequence sounds like a motif from Inception.

The music in the second trailer sounded a bit generic and unmemorable to me. But I really like the one in the international one. Especially the piece that starts after the logos. Maybe it's from somewhere else, because it faintly reminds me of something that I can't place, but if it's sample from the score of this movie it sounds really good.

Zimmer is one of the best composers the big film industry in hollywod has currently, is great news that he is making this and i hope for something special like the movie also seems to be, the X-Men franchise has always had great music, and specially being this the last movie i expect an extra effort in all of its aspects.

As much as I like Zimmer I still would've preferred Ottman coming back. He could've expanded on the Jean theme he created for Apocalypse, as well as using Charles' theme, and the X-Men theme. I have a feeling Zimmer will just start from scratch.

X3's Phoenix Rises is one of the best scores I've ever heard and is the saving grace to that film. Better than Ottman's main theme. I really hopeZimmer at least pays tribute to it.

X3's Phoenix Rises is one of the best scores I've ever heard and is the saving grace to that film. Better than Ottman's main theme. I really hopeZimmer at least pays tribute to it.
I also love the Phoenix theme in X3. However, I didn't realize how similar it sounds to the chorus of Lifetime Loving You by Mark Anthony. It's worth a listen.

Yeah, the video Erik Lensherr posted is fake. It even says so in the description.

Sorry, the "insert quote" seems to not be working properly, what do you mean by RCP @Elayis?

And is that theme official? I wont listen to it after watching the movie, but just wondering.

I think that the soundtrack is gonna be great and Zimmer is gonna do a great job, but i really hope to hear callbacks to previous themes from the saga soundtracks.
RCP stands for Remote Control Productions, which is Hans Zimmer's film scoring company. Zimmer very rarely scores music to match what is going on in a film. Instead, he creates "suites" made up of the themes he's created, either from reading the script, watching dailies or conversations with the director. RCP is made up of composers that Zimmer mentors, who do the actual work of arranging and fleshing out his suites into cues that fit what is happening scene to scene in the movie. Eventually when these composers have proven themselves they get to score their own projects, with RCP helping to arrange their scores.

Essentially, no one associated with RCP scores a film on their own. They may come up with the core themes and musical style, but it's very much a group effort. Usually there's 2-3 additional composers per movie, but sometimes it can get as high as 6-7, especially if there's a time crunch or a lack of interest from the main composer (Zimmer didn't do much on POTC4 or Lone Ranger, despite receiving sole credit). Most films that feature him as co-composer (Kung Fu Panda, Boss Baby, Winter's Tale, Henri 4, Invincible) tend to be the work of the other credited composer, with Zimmer providing at most the main theme. The first two Batman films are an exception, where Begins was a true co-composition with James Newton Howard and TDK was mostly Zimmer & his arrangers working alone, with Howard only providing music for Harvey's scenes.

As for what his score to Dark Phoenix may sound like, he's never reused themes before when taking on an existing franchise so I doubt any will return. He also has a habit of mimicking himself over several films in a given time frame, so it may sound similar to Dunkirk or Widows. There's been no word about whether that was his music or not at the start of trailer #2.

Thanks for your elaborated answer. I knew for hollywood movies they use temp score but i did not knew about RCP or their process, as someone who loves filmmaking and music i find it very interesting.
No problem. Film scores are a passion of mine, so I never tire of discussing them.

Well, the score seems to be what I was afraid of, the same generic droning from Dunkirk/Widows/Inferno. Hopefully the thematic material is more interesting.

Here are the clips where the score is present:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"