Days of Future Past 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
definetly. Lets just hope that Singer wants a more mature and sexy Rogue this time.

Its 'now or never'. This is his time to blow us all, with the action and all these famous x-men. So he better gives us what we want

20100819_starspun_say_what.gif

Thank god for that. As much as people complain about January Jones' acting, absolutely nothing was right about Emma Frost in X-Men Origins, acting or otherwise. At least Singer was smart enough to recognize the importance of Frost's villainous background, and the necessary role that plays before the character joins the X-Men, which is more than I can say for her appearance in the Wolverine origin movie (Jesus, Fox).

I honestly don't think Jones was too bad in the role. I happened to see First Class again tonight (on a flight home from a long vacation) and she seemed fine within the constraints of the film (which wrote her to be very much subservient to Shaw). The fault lies primarily with the rather flimsy characterisation, and that was apparently what Vaughn wanted.

Or maybe he recognizes there's little value in Emma returning, now that Fox doesn't appear to be interested in pursuing direct sequels to First Class. January Jones didn't win over fans. There is little that is significant about the character that remains, and she doesn't offer anything that can't be found elsewhere in Days of Future Past.

Better telepath = Xavier
Better and more useful skin transformation = Colossus
True gap filler in Magneto's life = Mystique

Well, it's fair to say that Emma Frost (and the Hellfire Club as a whole) is not part of DoFP, so that's one reason to exclude her.

However, I shall forever wonder what the mind-battle with Xavier would have been like had it been filmed for First Class. And such a battle (involving imaginative astral plane fighting rather than a staring contest) would have been great to see.

Magneto made it clear at the end of First Class that he wanted a telepath on his team and in his life. So it does beg the question of what became of Ms Frost. I doubt we'll get the answer, though. And I doubt we'll see any more of Ms Frost to be honest. Doesn't mean it's not a shame.

Frost has had some great moments in the comics. The shifting allegiances, the battle with Phoenix, joining the X-Men, teaching Iceman how to expand his abilities, switching minds with Storm (where she sees how Storm perceives the world and its elements), not to mention the sarcastic attitude. It is a pity all that has gone down the drain on screen.

I agree X-Maniac. There's a lot of wasted potential with Emma. I'm in the minority that thinks that January Jones' performance in First Class could be redeemed by a meatier role in a sequel.

As for the mental battle. I don't care if it was too similar to inception. It would have been way better than Magneto chocking her and cracking her diamond form. The movie already had so many magnetobadassmoments and it would have given Xavier something to do. Emma's diamond form was the best thing about her in the movie and it didn't make sense that it would crack so easily.

Last edited:
I personally didn't hate January as Emma Frost, it wasn't the Emma Frost that I would have wanted, but the character worked as a high level henchman of Shaw (second in command would be too much, it's the 60's after all), and I was completely devastated of losing her on the third act of the movie, that being said, I won't miss her in this movie, and I won't miss the others that aren't coming back, I wanted this movie to happen exactly as it is happening, but I never imagined it was gonna happen, so I at least hoped those minor characters would grow in the sequel, but replacing them with actual characters I want to see again, I'm all for it.

In that line of thought, Gambit was THE worst. They literally wasted him.

Sure, they wasted him in Origins. But I don't think its impossible not to bring him back to work with the original cast.

Sure, they wasted him in Origins. But I don't think its impossible not to bring him back to work with the original cast.

I agree with the not being impossible, Ellen Page didn't exactly light up the screen as Kitty Pryde (she was really good in a not good movie), and they brought her back. Fortunately no matter how good or bad the X movies are the acting talent is at the least above average, so bringing anyone back from any of the movies (will.i.am being the only probable exception I can think of) won't exactly make me shiver with fear, it can be pulled off.

Taylor Kitsch is a perfectly fine actor (emphasis on the fiiiiine :cwink:) and was a good casting, but add Gambit to the gigantic list of things forever ruined for the franchise by Origins. Ugh.

Taylor Kitsch is a perfectly fine actor (emphasis on the fiiiiine :cwink:) and was a good casting, but add Gambit to the gigantic list of things forever ruined for the franchise by Origins. Ugh.

Yeah, they really made an effort on the whole let's ruin things forever side of things, I can't argue with that, I just can't.

I agree with the not being impossible, Ellen Page didn't exactly light up the screen as Kitty Pryde (she was really good in a not good movie), and they brought her back. Fortunately no matter how good or bad the X movies are the acting talent is at the least above average, so bringing anyone back from any of the movies (will.i.am being the only probable exception I can think of) won't exactly make me shiver with fear, it can be pulled off.

Actually if they intend to bring back everyone like Nightcrawler, Gambit, Emma Frost, Jean Grey, Cyclops, etc. and put them together in 1 frame/scene, it wouldn't be hard to achieve. But of course when it comes to story-telling, some characters have got to go.

Actually if they intend to bring back everyone like Nightcrawler, Gambit, Emma Frost, Jean Grey, Cyclops, etc. and put them together in 1 frame/scene, it wouldn't be hard to achieve. But of course when it comes to story-telling, some characters have got to go.

Completely agree. I have to add that seeing those two names, and still not having any confirmation just feels so wrong, I need Famke and James, it's just not fair that the only probable hint that they're coming back it's an interview that's almost a month old, come on Bryan Singer, just send us a picture of both of them locking lips, and don't say anything else.

They aren't coming back simply because they died in X3. Professor X died in X3 too but they can't just resurrect them all in 1 movie, for me thats like over-kill. Plus they already have the time-travel, the cast of First Class, the new characters, two time periods.

Dunno if we'll see them in this film, but I think it's a fair bet they'll be back at some point.

Your argument would make more sense, if First Class were not also the second film in which Singer tried to include Frost.

Thank god for that. As much as people complain about January Jones' acting, absolutely nothing was right about Emma Frost in X-Men Origins, acting or otherwise. At least Singer was smart enough to recognize the importance of Frost's villainous background, and the necessary role that plays before the character joins the X-Men, which is more than I can say for her appearance in the Wolverine origin movie (Jesus, Fox).

Or maybe he recognizes there's little value in Emma returning, now that Fox doesn't appear to be interested in pursuing direct sequels to First Class. January Jones didn't win over fans. There is little that is significant about the character that remains, and she doesn't offer anything that can't be found elsewhere in Days of Future Past.

Better telepath = Xavier
Better and more useful skin transformation = Colossus
True gap filler in Magneto's life = Mystique

Amen to every damn thing you posted here, BMM.

They aren't coming back simply because they died in X3. Professor X died in X3 too but they can't just resurrect them all in 1 movie, for me thats like over-kill. Plus they already have the time-travel, the cast of First Class, the new characters, two time periods.

Oh but that's the beauty of the time travel dilemma, in one timeline everyone dies in X3 but the world is somewhat peaceful, in another one they are still a team, but the world as we know it pretty much goes to hell, it's not that hard to bring the original 4 X-Men from the first movie, it's pretty simple, this is time traveling 101, many primetime shows have done this.

Was Emma in the comics totally humourless as well?

Quite the opposite actually. Emma in the source material is a feisty, sarcastic comedienne with a heart of cold AND gold. Lots of layers to that woman and the character lights up the page whenever she appears. She's definitely the most polarizing X-Woman, many hate her in the comics, most tolerate her, and Scott loves her. Jean comes back to f*** with her often. :funny:

Angamb said:
This is his time to blow us all

:lmao:

Oh my. Greatest. Freudian Slip. Of All Time. That's almost damn sig-worthy. :up:

Frost has had some great moments in the comics. The shifting allegiances, the battle with Phoenix, joining the X-Men, teaching Iceman how to expand his abilities, switching minds with Storm (where she sees how Storm perceives the world and its elements), not to mention the sarcastic attitude. It is a pity all that has gone down the drain on screen.

I'll never forget the battle between Emma Frost and Storm (in the Schism series). There we learned once and for all, that for all of Emma's telepathic abilities, Storm not only has the power to deflect her efforts, but also the means to crack and shatter Emma's diamond form.

Great stuff. :up:

Oh but that's the beauty of the time travel dilemma, in one timeline everyone dies in X3 but the world is somewhat peaceful, in another one they are still a team, but the world as we know it pretty much goes to hell, it's not that hard to bring the original 4 X-Men from the first movie, it's pretty simple, this is time traveling 101, many primetime shows have done this.

But DOFP is not a primetime show, its a movie so its different.

I love that everyone (figuratively) jumped all over that one!

LOL

I told my partner that Angamb publicly suggested that Bryan Singer should give me a complimentary b-job and he was like, "What kind of 'comic book fans' are you messing around with on that Hype thing?" :funny:

Dunno if we'll see them in this film, but I think it's a fair bet they'll be back at some point.

Sure. But I will say categorically that we will see Scott Summers in DOFP.

And I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, but I'm not, so I won't:oldrazz:

LOL

I told my partner that Angamb publicly suggested that Bryan Singer should give me a complimentary b-job and he was like, "What kind of 'comic book fans' are you messing around with on that Hype thing?" :funny:
REEEEELY "excited" ones! :cwink:

But DOFP is not a primetime show, its a movie so its different.

I meant that it can be done without being a complicated "Primer" type hard to understand for mainstream movie audiences thing, it's pretty simple and it allows us to revisit beloved characters that shouldn't have been killed in the first place, I'm all for Jean and Scott returning, it would completely work for me.

LOL

First Twitter and now cheap tricks? the marketing budget for this movie is somewhat troubling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"