Days of Future Past 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
its a complex issue, Im sure.

Maybe on the DVD we'll get a few answer, from Singer and the writer, or maybe around release date with all the interviews Singer will do.

If not, everyone will always have its own opinion, lol

But his X-Men 1.5 and X2 DVDs have so many extras I don't think I've watched them all

Still waiting for X-Men 2.5. :( Would be cool if we could get one in light of it's upcoming 10th anniversary.

I was so annoyed 2.5 never happened. :(

Even though I'm not actually sure what they could add.

A director can only guide, you can't force a good performance out of someone. She delivered her lines in a wooden manner.

And despite playing an iconic X-Man, despite being contracted to return, they chose not to use her in this film. That decision says it all.

And she wasn't even the original casting choice, anyway.

Maybe they should ask Alice Eve again to play as Emma Frost.

No. We need her for Susan Storm Richards or Carol Danvers. The Emma boat has sailed and sunk.

^alice eve is not what i call a good actor tho she is hot thats about it

I always thought Alice Eve has sort of direct-to-video (DVD?) look to her. I really don't know what it is with this particular actress. Take note I've only seen her in "She's Out of My League" so I might be uninformed. :o

See Also: the weird scream that she does in the Star Trek trailer...

yeah, Im with you. She looks great on photoshoots, and could be a fine actress...

but... seeing normal pics of her, on red carpets and all, I never saw Emma Frost on her, and dont see at all the greatness some fans see on her.

Not to say Im happy with January either, tho.

My choice for Emma always was and Im afraid always be Charlize Theron. SHE has all the ingredientes of comics Emma. Impressive look, and really really talented with many different skills as an actress.

But I guess Fox, Matthew and co. thought she's too big to play a secondary role on the x-men prequel. pretty sad, if u ask me. She would have done an awesome job with Emma during the franchise, not only on FC.

Yeah, I couldn't see Charlize ever doing it. Well, certainly not with that excuse of a character in FC. January was bad, but the script was so one-note, anyway. Charlize would never agree to a role that lacking in depth and screentime.

She would be the perfect Emma though, no doubt. She has everything Emma needs. The looks, the wit, the ice maiden thing, but not so cold that she's a chore to watch.

Yeah, I couldn't see Charlize ever doing it. Well, certainly not with that excuse of a character in FC. January was bad, but the script was so one-note, anyway. Charlize would never agree to a role that lacking in depth and screentime.

She would be the perfect Emma though, no doubt. She has everything Emma needs. The looks, the wit, the ice maiden thing, but not so cold that she's a chore to watch.

I heard that Matthew Vaughn wanted Emma to be the way January portrayed her - a sort of detached coldness. I also didn't think January Jones was 'wooden' throughout the film, although the actress doesn't have much range and - let's face it, here - she wasn't cast for outstanding, Oscar-worthy acting skills. (EDIT: or maybe she was cast on the basis of her various awards and nominations for hit show Mad Men).

I saw it as the introduction of the character, at that point under the thumb of Sebastian Shaw (as we saw when he had her fetch him some ice).

I wonder if there will be any explanation for the absence of Magneto's team as seen at the end of First Class. After all, he did go to break her out of the CIA cell at the end of the movie. XM:FC and DoFP won't flow very well together if there's a leap of 11 years with no mention of what has happened to characters in all those years. It's like there's another, as-yet-unmade movie detailing events between 1962 and 1973.

I also hope we might get to see Emma Frost again someday, even if an older (and thus recast) version. Both Ms Frost and the Hellfire Club as a whole are too good to cast aside.

Last edited:
XM:FC and DoFP won't flow very well together if there's a leap of 11 years with no mention of what has happened to characters in all those years. It's like there's another, as-yet-unmade movie detailing events between 1962 and 1973.

If DOFP starts with a first scene that's set in the future/present (read: OT characters) then I don't see this being a problem.

I think they'll just treat this 70s era as another chapter in characters' lives and not necessarily a direct follow-up to the ending of FC. So I am not expecting much in the way of explaining where all those secondary characters went.

I think if Matthew Vaughn/producers planned to bring back Emma Frost for the next film after FC, this will be the 2nd time that Bryan Singer ditched the producers' plan for Emma Frost.

After Origins, she was supposed to appear in the Young X-Men movie with Cyclops, but Bryan Singer came up with his own story for First Class/Young X-Men movie and started the story from scratch. And now he didn't bring back Emma for DOFP. He's probably not a fan of Emma Frost. Bringing back Colossus over Emma Frost kinda says it all.

Last edited:
And if it's true that he was going to cast Sigourney Weaver as Emma in X3, then he's really not a fan.

I also think DOFP could be their chance to make Emma Frost move to the good side or at least work with Wolverine/company. I know its a bit early but at the end of DoFp, they could trap Emma Frost in the present period and in the future films, they could set her up as a member of the X-Men and if they plan to bring back Cyclops, she could be Cyke's new love interest.

I feel like Emma Frost is already an important character in the X-Men universe and its such a waste opportunity not to bring her back. And if they retcon her character again for a future movie or if Bryan Singer decided to cast Sigourney Weaver as Emma Frost. There wouldn't be a sense of continuity to her character at all.

And regarding January Jones' acting ability, if they give her character more role in the movie. I think people could stomach her "wooden' performance. Not that I think she gave a wooden performance in FC.

Last edited:
I think if Matthew Vaughn/producers planned to bring back Emma Frost for the next film after FC, this will be the 2nd time that Bryan Singer ditched the producers' plan for Emma Frost.

Your argument would make more sense, if First Class were not also the second film in which Singer tried to include Frost.

After Origins, she was supposed to appear in the Young X-Men movie with Cyclops, but Bryan Singer came up with his own story for First Class/Young X-Men movie and started the story from scratch.

Thank god for that. As much as people complain about January Jones' acting, absolutely nothing was right about Emma Frost in X-Men Origins, acting or otherwise. At least Singer was smart enough to recognize the importance of Frost's villainous background, and the necessary role that plays before the character joins the X-Men, which is more than I can say for her appearance in the Wolverine origin movie (Jesus, Fox).

And now he didn't bring back Emma for DOFP. He's probably not a fan of Emma Frost. Bringing back Colossus over Emma Frost kinda says it all.

Or maybe he recognizes there's little value in Emma returning, now that Fox doesn't appear to be interested in pursuing direct sequels to First Class. January Jones didn't win over fans. There is little that is significant about the character that remains, and she doesn't offer anything that can't be found elsewhere in Days of Future Past.

Better telepath = Xavier
Better and more useful skin transformation = Colossus
True gap filler in Magneto's life = Mystique

Last edited:

LOL have you seen Prometheus?

Better telepath = Xavier
Better and more useful skin transformation = Colossus
True gap filler in Magneto's life = Mystique

What he meant by that at the end of FC was that he needed a telepath in his team, not a love interest or a second in command or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"