Days of Future Past 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

overall i don't agree with the idea that wolverine needs to be doing everything because he is the most popular character, i mean yeah it was the idea it seemed FOX was going for with X3 to the point it didn't feel like an Xmen movie but more Wolverine and the Xmen, i mean every poster was wolverine center stage and the 3 was just his claws

but i think that was stupidity on FOX count, i don't think you need to have him hog screentime to get people to go to the cinema to see it, its not like audiences will walk out if wolverine isn't on screen for 10 min otherwise we should be worried about this franchise, plus nor do i think giving him more screen time will make people love the film

Last edited:
Wolverine was a good gateway character to use, and it was smart on Fox's part given his popularity, but they should have moved passed using him as a crutch and started to better develop other characters and storylines, especially by X-Men 3.

Wolverine was a good gateway character to use, and it was smart on Fox's part given his popularity, but they should have moved passed using him as a crutch and started to better develop other characters and storylines, especially by X-Men 3.

Yeah, it's not difficult to see why they went that route. But its been a poor decision in the long run of the series to rely on only him as the lead. Too much potential in other big name characters.

Fox could have easily shared the lead between Wolverine, Cyclops and Gambit. To me, the three heavy heights regarding the male x-men and popularity.

To me they could have been like the Ironman, Thor and Cap of Marvel, with the three characters having a big part on their universe.

But sadly Fox went with the cheapest option. and less exciting, of course.

Good points, all.

It's almost as if FOX has a problem identical to Warner Bros. That studio is using Batman and Superman as the very "crutch" BMM mentions--for the greater part of nearly 40 years they've been unable to move past developing those two characters cinematically. DC has a great stable of fine characters (i.e. Wonder Woman, etc.,) but they've never gotten attention because WB basically doesn't know what to do with them.

The same holds true with FOX and its X-Men franchise. To date, they've proven they really don't know what to do with the comic's main marquee characters, so they just continue developing (and over-developing) Wolverine, Magneto and to a lesser extent Xavier.

It's almost as if they're terrified of telling a movie story without those three characters dominating the storyline. So sad. :csad:

it really is.

They have Cyclops, Gambit, Mr. Sinister, Apocalypse, Archangel... all waiting to be exploited.

I mean, they could do WONDERS with these characters working on the same movie as Storm, Rogue, Kitty, Iceman, Nightcrawler, Colossus, and co.

I will probably never forgive FOX for making two of the X-Men's most powerful and vocal leaders--Cyclops and Storm--the meekest and weakest so that Wolverine could shine. This is the main reason these films don't work so well in the characterization department....there's no balance.

well... being honest, Bryan was the director and was part of the script, so.... it wasnt just Fox.

I've never bought into this idea that certain characters who've been used in the X-Franchise to date have been in any way 'shafted' in favor of certain other characters; I've also never understood this idea that The Last Stand is Wolverine-centric; if there's a singular central character in that movie, it's actually Jean.

I've never bought into this idea that certain characters who've been used in the X-Franchise to date have been in any way 'shafted' in favor of certain other characters; I've also never understood this idea that The Last Stand is Wolverine-centric; if there's a singular central character in that movie, it's actually Jean.
O, yeah?

ibiLrsZWa7n0gC.gif

wolverine was center stage on the posters, he took cyclops role in trying to save jean, he took the leader role at the end, he also had this working as a team subplot

if jean wasn't killing or trying to seduce logan she was a mute sadly :doh:

^ Promotional material means jack-squatt when it comes to the actual content of a film's storyline. In terms of its actual plot, The Last Stand is Jean's story... plain and simple. It starts with Jean and it ends with Jean. Just because Wolverine happens to have a key role to play in that story doesn't make it his story or mean that he's pushed to the forefront, focus-wise, over her or anyone else.

By the argument you're making, The Phantom Menace was Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi's story, even though it was really Padme's story and Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Jar Jar, and even Anakin were merely key figures in it.

are u serious?

Last Stand had Jean in some key scenes, but the BIG lead was Wolverine, during the whole movie.

Jean appeared a few times here and there, but had much less dialogue and screentime.

Wolverine and Magneto had bigger roles than Jean, so, they were the leads, not Jean.

^ Promotional material means jack-squatt when it comes to the actual content of a film's storyline. In terms of its actual plot, The Last Stand is Jean's story... plain and simple. It starts with Jean and it ends with Jean. Just because Wolverine happens to have a key role to play in that story doesn't make it his story or mean that he's pushed to the forefront, focus-wise, over her or anyone else.

By the argument you're making, The Phantom Menace was Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi's story, even though it was really Padme's story and Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Jar Jar, and even Anakin were merely key figures in it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure that posters on here said that the X3 and the whole original trilogy were wolverine centric not wolverine's story. I think there is a big difference between the two.

are u serious?

Last Stand had Jean in some key scenes, but the BIG lead was Wolverine, during the whole movie.

Jean appeared a few times here and there, but had much less dialogue and screentime.

Wolverine and Magneto had bigger roles than Jean, so, they were the leads, not Jean.

Just because Jean isn't in every single scene in The Last Stand doesn't make the storyline any less about her or make her the central figure in it.

BTW, the same thing applies to X-Men, which was Rogue's story.

how would you guys react if Singer ends tweeting this soon?

Thrilled to say #MichelleTrachtenberg is joining #XMen #DaysOfFuturePast as #ScarletWitch.

?

Cyclops was shafted, and every movie was centered around Wolverine and especially X2 that was a taste of his orgins. The XMen are a team who work very well together I dont see how you think that everyone in the X-Franchise was treated the same its obvious Wolverine was the star and he was overused I started off liking him but then I was tired of seeing him dominate most of the scenes.

Honestly, I was fine with X1 and X2 cause it didn't feel like he was being shoehorned into every single scene whereas in X3, he was and that's when i thought, oh boy, he's being shoved down our throats and its too much. I got tired after X3 because it was all about Wolverine when it shouldn't have been. The movie was doom from the start anyway the moment Singer left. Honestly, I don't think Singer would have done what Fox and Ratner did to X3. Singer would have kept the same kind of tone he had with his first two x-films, thus for X3, Scott and Jean would be more prominent because of the Dark Phoenix storyline.

I agree ^^it was tolerable for me at least until the 3rd movie it was increasing by each film. I know Singer would have done a great x3,the whole Dark Pheonix concept would have been different and IMO so much better.

Wolverine is just a red herring in X1. I don't see everyone's beef with that one. In X2 his past tied into a much larger story. If he was really the "crutch" everyone makes him out to be in that movie, then he would have been the one that saved the day at the end wouldn't you say? In fact, all he does in the climax is fight a "henchman" and slash a switch to barricade the flood. He didn't really do anything that affected the plot. Didn't he abandon his team just to satisfy his own personal vendetta? What a jerk!

But yeah, X3 was... *sigh*. His fling with Jean was over-emphasized and his character arc made no sense. It should have been Cyclops and Wolverine butting heads. Shouldn't have been that hard. It's pretty much spelled out at the end of X2.

marvlrobbins, I look at your posts and most of what I see is assumption based on very little information. Unless Singer or someone else has flat-out said that Wolverine is going to be one of the time travelers or that Bishop is only going to be part of the future scenes, filming schedules really don't tell us much at all. Just because an actor interacts only with certain actors doesn't mean that said actor won't appear on-screen with actors with whom they didn't interact, especially with today's CGI technology.

The Last Stand's problem wasn't that it had too many characters, BTW; its problem was that Brett Ratner really wasn't the best person to make the juxtaposition of the film's two plotlines and myriad of characters work. If you were to take The Last Stand exactly as it was and replace Ratner with, say, Joss Whedon, Christopher Nolan, Matthew Vaughn, or even Singer himself, you'd end up with a movie that would've been as good as or better than the first two films and First Class.

TLS is an OK film that could've/would've been better with a different director helming it.

Singer knows how to make things that might seem overly complex very simple and I therefore see no reason to make assumptions about how things can or can't work when it comes to time travel and utilizing the movie's large cast effectively, especially when we have very little actual information about the specifics of the film.

I am very interested to see if Bryan Singer and Simon Kinberg could come up with a great film here. Singer directed X1/X2, Kinberg wrote X3 and they both produced First Class. I hope Kinberg improved so much just by working with Singer.

Good points, all.

It's almost as if FOX has a problem identical to Warner Bros. That studio is using Batman and Superman as the very "crutch" BMM mentions--for the greater part of nearly 40 years they've been unable to move past developing those two characters cinematically. DC has a great stable of fine characters (i.e. Wonder Woman, etc.,) but they've never gotten attention because WB basically doesn't know what to do with them.

The same holds true with FOX and its X-Men franchise. To date, they've proven they really don't know what to do with the comic's main marquee characters, so they just continue developing (and over-developing) Wolverine, Magneto and to a lesser extent Xavier.

It's almost as if they're terrified of telling a movie story without those three characters dominating the storyline. So sad. :csad:

I don't think FOX doesn't know what to do with their characters its just that they focused on Wolverine because they know he's the most marketable character in the series. They also focused a lot to Professor X and Magneto because they're the ying and the yang of the series. It also has something with the writers of the previous films, they needed to focus on 1 to 3 characters to give the story more depth. There will be main characters, supporting characters and minor roles. But I hope after DOFP, this will change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"