You Have My Permission To Lounge - Part 10

Yeah Batlobster! Guillermo will probably take it, and I think that's ridiculous. However, I would love to see a round table with Chris, Guillermo, Greta, Jordan and PTA. Great list of directors. I'm a little salty about Villeneuve (and Bladerunner) getting snubbed but I'm still content with that list.

Two biggest actor snubs this year IMO were Gyllenhaal (Stronger) and believe it or not Robert Pattinson (Good Time).

But overall, I'm glad Dunkirk is getting some spotlight. I watched it again last week and I loved it more this time. I have mixed feelings about Saving Private Ryan, and I know this may be controversial, but I rank Dunkirk higher as a war film. It is at the very least the greatest war film of this century.

You are right. It's a list made up by brain dead fanboys. The fact that Chigurh made it in is a minor miracle.

This has most likely been brought up before in one thread or another but it really feels like most fan's issues with TDKR come down to it being a conclusion rather than another installment in a series.

This has most likely been brought up before in one thread or another but it really feels like most fan's issues with TDKR come down to it being a conclusion rather than another installment in a series.
No. It being bloated and sometimes dumb.

Eh, I think TDKR is "dumb" in ways that are below Nolan. I really do like the movie but, out of all the Nolan movies I've seen, Rises is probably the weakest.

"Bloated" is not how I would describe it. If anything it's not long enough.

I've come around to admit that Rises isn't as bad as I conjured up in my head, I just fundamentally disagree with the character going away for 8 years the way he did, come back for a few days in total and then leave Gotham for good.

Now I'll say this, for the grounded real world portrayal they were going for, it was probably the best way they could have wrapped it up, I'll admit. The guy can't keep doing it forever, and especially into his late 30s-40s as we see in the present DC Universe films where suspension of disbelief is everything.

Robin Blake is still bad though. I'll never let up on that. Lol.

No. It being bloated and sometimes dumb.

I doubt they'd make as big a deal out of that as long as it ended with Bruce in costume posing dramatically on a roof with the bat signal in the background (some might but nowhere near as many)

Eh, I think TDKR is "dumb" in ways that are below Nolan. I really do like the movie but, out of all the Nolan movies I've seen, Rises is probably the weakest.
That would be Following and Insomnia. Although they're still solid IMO.

I find the whole experience with Rises "trained" me to view films as self-contained. Had TDK not been a full story, had it been a "more to come" film like Iron Man 2, it would have been harder for Rises to not "bleed into it" and ruin it for a lot of the Rises critics. The fact so many of us can disagree on the conclusion to Nolan's story, without it affecting the rest of Nolan's story, is a testament to why self-contained stories still matter when doing big-budget franchises.

Can the same be said of Force Awakens? I don't think it's as easy for a fan to go back to it and watch it as if TLJ doesn't exist. That's because TFA is such a "more to come" film. Me personally, I find I got better over the years at putting myself in the year a film I watch came out in (again, partly due to my experience with Rises), but I don't think it's easy for everyone to do this. So certain films will stand the test of time less than BB and TDK do for reasons that have nothing to do with dated dialogue and/or technology. That's the dark side of the "more to come" mentality, the one we unfortunately don't talk much about.

Last edited:
Infinity War is bound to be great when compared to Age of Ultron, even if it ends up as not great.

That tandem aside; TDKR does feel better when viewed without the other two with it.

That tandem aside; TDKR does feel better when viewed without the other two with it.

I would disagree with that. I feel Rises is composed very much of the other two films. Not in a way that feels like copy and paste (though some would probably argue that) but as recontextualization and chiastic structure.

One of the chief complaints of TDKR for me was how dumb the people were for mindlessly following a character like Bane who was so brazen about his false promises. How can the same city that had the moral fortitude to not blow up the boats be stoopid?

I've changed my mind since 2016.

I would disagree with that. I feel Rises is composed very much of the other two films. Not in a way that feels like copy and paste (though some would probably argue that) but as recontextualization and chiastic structure.
Before my Batman marathon last year I thought TDKR was as good as its predecessors in the same series, putting them together the opening half hour felt very fast paced, especially compared to the other two films.

I don't know how it comes off more fast paced. I don't see that at all.

Even if Rises was the weakest of Nolan's films, it's leaps and bounds better than most films today.

I don't know how it comes off more fast paced. I don't see that at all.
Some scene shifts feel sudden and unexpected, not in the way I'd define as impressive, makes me feel like they dropped some useful fill in footage in the cutting room.

Even if Rises was the weakest of Nolan's films, it's leaps and bounds better than most films today.
In general? That is a very strong opinion.

Most CBMs? Yeah. Most films today? Can't see that. I do admire Nolan's ambition with Rises though.

Most blockbusters. I'd settle with that statement.

https://www.kinopoisk.ru/interview/3107270/

Here is Gary Oldman's interview with a Russian movie site Kinopoisk. He said that Nolan offered him the role of Scarecrow, but Oldman's manager suggested the role of Gordon instead. Oldman himself decided that he was sick of playing villains and being typecast as one and he had to convince Nolan to see Gordon in him.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"