You Have My Permission To Lounge - Part 10

I guess we should start calling him "The Other Joker".

In other news, 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Matrix arrive to UHD in May. Two arguably greatest sci-fi films of all time in one month.

Yeah for the lie to mean something and have weight, it needed to be successful. And so a significant amount of time needed to pass. It still makes a lot of sense to me. If you keep that quote from Nolan in mind, and then try to think about the opposite outcome (the ones that we had in our heads after TDK) it doesn't add up. Not when you take the lie into account and the consequences of those actions. It all feels like a fanboy dream, like we took the "cuz he can take it" line too literally in a physical sense, and completely dismissed the meaning of that ending. Which all comes down to the secret Gordon and Batman share. The bat signal is destroyed. Gordon tells the world what a hero Harvey is. Were we ignoring all of this? I think we were. Same goes for the Joker line about freaks lining up, and now he and Bats were meant to do this forever. We take those words and then see it as gospel, then turn around and bash Nolan for not following through. All without realizing that Joker said these things with the assumption that Harvey Dent would be caught, all his wrong doings out in the open, with more use for the heroic & incorruptible Batman. That's before Batman and Gordon shut that dream down, by making damn sure Two-Face is never found out. This would then create the opposite effect. A more peaceful time, gradually. Instead of the freak show fantasy that Joker thought up.

I think fans of this genre get caught up in the cool adventure factor of it all, and tend to look at the surface of a line of dialogue or a moment, without putting some brain power into what's beneath the surface. Bale even said, they always wanted to show the consequences of their actions. Even on a physical level.

It's funny, all these years and I could never put my finger on what it was about about the eight-year gap that felt inconsistent to me. I mean I get what Nolan was telling us - the people of Gotham were empowered with hope, so they didn't need him anymore - still, did they really not need him anymore? That's the part that always baffled me. There was just something about that that felt "off", that I just couldn't put into words. But I think now I can. I think it has to do with how I see the world.

Basically the more I grow, the more I think it's important for us to work together to change the problems in our society. And I get why guys like Harvey do a better job at bringing people together than guys like Batman do. They never come out and say this, but Harvey is a clear metaphor for archetypes like Bernie Sanders and MLK. He's that "ideal" political figure people would feel they can connect to because of his values. I mean he's not - he's one of those who started out that way and was corrupted - but Batman and Gordon sell him that way. So now that Gotham has that figurehead to rally around by the end of TDK, they can finally enact change right?

Unfortunately it's not that simple. They almost always get beaten down and shredded by the system the first four, five, or even a hundred times, until they finally succeed at their dream. And a lot of times the figurehead that started these movements is no longer around by then, instead it's their successor. Ambiguity of the Dent Act aside, we just have to look at how hard the system fought to prevent something like the New Deal from being passed, and how much struggle and defeat its proponents put up with even after electing the man they thought embodied it (FDR).

And that's why I don't buy Gotham not needing Batman anymore after TDK. They would still need him, I think, for all the times those inspired by Dent would have been crushed and forced to retreat to the cynicism at the start of Batman Begins, which in any real setting they most definitely would have. That's the one cause-and-effect I think Rises forgets, or at worst chooses to ignore.

Anyways, I'm not trying to reopen the debate on Rises, I'm just finally wording why it doesn't fit for me. More importantly, why I never explained it beyond "cuz freaks!" I believe that as kids we start grasping the problems in the world emotionally, but can't pick up on them logically. As we mature we begin to pick up on them logically. I said Gotham would still have "freaks" after TDK, the more mature fan in me would say "The system would step up its game after TDK, keeping with the realism and escalation theme of TDK." Or something along those lines. But anyways, I hope that makes a little more sense now.

Last edited:
And that's why I don't buy Gotham not needing Batman anymore after TDK. They would still need him, I think, for all the times those inspired by Dent would have been crushed and forced to retreat to the cynicism at the start of Batman Begins, which in any real setting they most definitely would have. That's the one cause-and-effect I think Rises forgets, or at worst chooses to ignore.

Maybe if Harvey's crimes had come out into the open like the Joker wanted but with his reputation preserved, I'm not so sure.

I'm not saying that a sequel to TDK couldn't have begun with Batman still actively fighting crime but there needed to be some kind of change in Gotham fr the better, It couldn't just revert to what it was in Begins with the cops putting chasing Batman as priority over the actual criminals.

nice to see someone high profile share a distaste for whatever character jared leto was trying to play

David Harbour (Stranger Things, Hellboy):

eqys5t.gif

Gee, I wonder who he's talking about? :woot:

HA :up: :woot:

I'm not saying that a sequel to TDK couldn't have begun with Batman still actively fighting crime but there needed to be some kind of change in Gotham fr the better, It couldn't just revert to what it was in Begins with the cops putting chasing Batman as priority over the actual criminals.

Agreed, but I think choosing between Batman and "change in Gotham for the better" is a false dichotomy. I think we can all agree there's a change in the people of Gotham by the end of TDK. The real question is, is that enough to change Gotham without Batman? Does change in the people automatically equal change in the city's problems?

That's where I think the disagreements start. With the first two movies we all walk the same road, then somewhere between "Batman takes the blame" and "Dent Act passes" we take different paths. And there aren't just two paths. I think there's a missing movie in between, others don't. Others do but don't care. And a lot of other stuff in between. I think it all starts at that exact point, though.

Yeah and some of us argued about what he meant about having plans for another Batman lol.

everyone knew that has heath still been with us, TDKR would have been a completely different film.

I still want to slap everyone who said "Oh he would've just replaced scarecrow in the trial scene" upside the head

Disagree. Trial scene? Nope. More than that? Yup. Completely different film? Nope.

Regardless, we can't change it. And whether we think **** happens for a reason sometimes, or that it's all random chaos...no matter the belief, we can't undo the past. It worked out the way it did and some of us either embrace it or don't. I embrace the direction for TDKR without Heath.

Speak of the devil when it comes to "plans", these news just came out.

Heath Ledger was planning to return as the Joker in The Dark Knight Rises before his death, say family

Speaking ahead of the release of the documentary I Am Heath Ledger in 2017, Kate Ledger said: “He was so proud of what he had done in Batman. And I know he had plans for another."

The actor's sister has continually refuted claims the role had anything to do with her brother's death, adding: “I spoke to him the night before (he died) and we were laughing and joking. He loved working with Chris Nolan and Christian Bale and Gary Oldman. He just had the best time ever doing that film."

Ten years later and it's still hard to read. :csad:

To be fair, this doesn't necessarily prove Nolan had plans for the Joker. Still, granted what she says here, and Nolan's comment about Heath creating a character you wanted to see for 10 movies, it looks like it was a given.

But ultimately I don't think my problems with Rises had anything to do with Heath's death. At least not directly (I could see it potentially burning out Nolan after TDK).

I would pay a lot of money for a machine that would allow me to look into an alternate reality where Heath lived and he got to play that role again and where he got to actually enjoy the appreciation fans and non-fans alike gave him.

I would pay a lot of money for a machine that would allow me to look into an alternate reality where Heath lived and he got to play that role again and where he got to actually enjoy the appreciation fans and non-fans alike gave him.

[YT]5NqKRWnURDk[/YT]

Last edited:
Disagree. Trial scene? Nope. More than that? Yup. Completely different film? Nope.

You couldn't just take the infrastructure of Rises and put Joker into that. Joker would fundamentally change that narrative, as he does in any story. Unless it was something like a really slight cameo, but then it would seem almost superfluous. For one thing, I seriously doubt Bane would have let him live during his reign in Gotham. He would be too much of a liability for Bane's carefully laid out plan.

In any case, it's right that the speculation is ultimately a futile and painful gesture. There's no changing what happened.

For real. He would literally be a superstar.

Would have loved to see him accept his Oscar.

If anything, it would have been worse for Heath. His fame would have been way too crazy after the Joker, he would probably hate all the fuss.

You couldn't just take the infrastructure of Rises and put Joker into that. Joker would fundamentally change that narrative, as he does in any story. Unless it was something like a really slight cameo, but then it would seem almost superfluous. For one thing, I seriously doubt Bane would have let him live during his reign in Gotham. He would be too much of a liability for Bane's carefully laid out plan.

In any case, it's right that the speculation is ultimately a futile and painful gesture. There's no changing what happened.
I still think it would have been a few scenes in his cell and that's it. But if it was more, you could still do most of Rises the same way. Maybe one other supporting character would have been dropped if Joker had a bigger role. But i honestly don't think he would have been in the film much more than 10 minutes of screentime, spread throughout the film's run-time. Maybe Bane kills him, or maybe he leaves him to rot in Arkham alone like the novelization suggests. Maybe it ends with Bruce hanging up the cowl, passing it to Blake, and Joker has disappeared...and so the Batman and Joker war lives on. But through the life of this new Batman...end credits.

I don't like Blade Runner 2049.
LOL what? where did that come from? (BTW it's brilliant :cwink: )

Haha, it's sooo good. Top 3 for me from last year.

I was hoping for something to love, like Denis Villeneuve's two movies prior, and Prisoner.

. But i honestly don't think he would have been in the film much more than 10 minutes of screentime, spread throughout the film's run-time.

Had Ledger survived, That's exactly what I would have wanted even if the movie was just another one-off adventure rather than a conclusion.

It's not that I have anything against Ledger's portrayal of the character, It's just my personal views on how the the character of the Joker has been overused in Batman media.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"