No Way Home "You've Stuck Your Webs In My Business For The Last Time!" Alfred Molina Returns As Doctor Octopus

Yeah the tentacle design was spectacular and I feel they've become iconic. They look like something an actual scientist would build for use in anything dangerous. I love the red lights too for the eyes. That was put to such great use in the hospital scene! Classic Evil Dead Raimi.

Since it's the multi verse, what if Doc Ock works for SPECTRE and they've actually funded his octopus testicles?

They could've based it on the insignia and ring that they always wear:

408320-2.jpg

He could wear one of those too.

I seriously can't wait for this. Molina is perfect for Ock, his delivery and facial expressions are amazing. I hope he is just as intimidating. I'd like it if he had a bit more of a temper, or shorter patience, but if they literally just take his SM2 character and transplant him, I'll be happy.

Though, if changes are to be made, in the event that a pre-ock backstory is shown, let him be a know it all jerk before he gets the metallic arms. No poetry reading this time around please.

In certain adaptations, Ock's arms are able to fire lasers and are fitted with buzzsaws and drills, rather than just a spike like in SM2. I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Lasers is a bit much. But I always liked in the USM comics how they could shift from claw form to club form to literally punch spider-man. As well as have taser form to add shock.

Though, if changes are to be made, in the event that a pre-ock backstory is shown, let him be a know it all jerk before he gets the metallic arms. No poetry reading this time around please.

I agree 100% with this. S-M2 is a classic but I've never liked how Raimi presented Doc Ock as a sympathetic villain. I'd like to see the opposite of that if Molina is playing a new version.

Those overlong thread-title are so annoying on mobile version.
Just call it “Doctor Octopus/Alfred Molina”

Minor thing to complain about, but okay.

I just put the line in as sort of a meta joke, same with the Electro thread. Nobody else has complained about it.

This was such a crazy good piece of news. Alfred Molina playing Doc Ock again in an MCU movie is a dream. And the best part is you can’t really go wrong with it... if there’s a Multiverse play? Then he may not have much screentime, but we’ll likely get Tobey and others so his work in Spider-Man 2 becomes defacto canon. If there’s no Multiverse play? Then Molina should get a lot of screentime to chew on and re-establish himself as Spidey’s nemesis.

Despite what happened with Evan Peters, no part of me believes they would go to the trouble of getting him back to reprise the role just as a joke or for a post credit scene to set up a future movie. So I can’t wait to see how he fits here.

So if this is indeed the Doc Ock from Maguire’s universe, then would he have the same motives? Do we think he’s going to be “snatched” out of SM2, or is it more likely that he’s going to be a completely new take?

The fact that Maguire is here as well makes me feel that it’s going to be playing off the SM2 chemistry surely, they wouldn’t act like their history together was off a completely non-existent storyline we never saw?

But then, surely that would mean he’s still a redeemable Ock (depending on what moment of SM2 he is from). I can’t quite figure out how this will work? If he ends up playing a different version of Ock to what we’ve seen before, is there a danger that SM2 fans won’t like the new interpretation? It would feel “out of character” if he started behaving differently or had different motives.

I don’t think the same problem could affect Jamie Foxx/Electro as im sure everyone wants a revamp of him which isn’t “lonely-obsessive guy who turns nasty when SM doesn’t show up to his birthday party”

Molina is either playing a MCU version here or an alternate universe Ock that doesn't hail from the Raimiverse. As for Tobey Maguire... he's not confirmed per say, so that's still up in the air right now.

I'm still a fan of the idea of him playing a Master Planner Ock. And I don't think most fans would mind if the performance and writing delivers the goods regardless of what type of Ock he plays.

There's really any direction it could land, that's what makes all this speculation so juicy. With how little we know, it might be anything. It could be interesting if the returning villains are similar but different from the movies we saw them in, like it's SM2 Ock but he didn't get redeemed so he beat Spidey, stayed evil, and has full on become the master planner criminal mastermind in the years since.

Last edited:
While I'm so excited to see Molina coming back, I'm not sure how well they'll handle his character.

I just pray that the movie doesn't diminish how great SM-2 was.

“When we were shooting it, we were all under orders not to talk about it, because it was supposed to be some great big secret,” Molina said with a laugh during an interview with Variety about his role in the Oscar-nominated “Promising Young Woman.” “But, you know, it’s all over the internet. I actually described myself as the worst kept secret in Hollywood!”

“It was wonderful,” he said. “It was very interesting going back after 17 years to play the same role, given that in the intervening years, I now have two chins, a wattle, crow’s feet and a slightly a slightly dodgy lower back.”

When the actor asked Jon Watts, the director of “No Way Home,” how the movie would bring Doc Ock back — since, as he pointed out, “I died” — Molina said the director told him, “In this universe, no one really dies.”

In their early conversations, Molina said, Watts told him that the movie will pick up Doc Ock’s story from “that moment” in the river, which in a franchise that include multiverses, time-travel and diverging timelines seems…plausible enough.

Ah Rosie, I love this man. :D

This could mean that Ock will look the same as he did in SM2, which is cool. The look is iconic enough to where they really don't need to alter it.

They're keeping his iconic look from SM-2. Good.

It's still possible that he could be given a makeover given how Wandavison tackled that aspect of someone going into the Hex, but we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"