No Way Home "You've Stuck Your Webs In My Business For The Last Time!" Alfred Molina Returns As Doctor Octopus

Doc Ock was the best villain of the 2000s trilogy. There, I said it.

Molina made me a believer, and that's something at which I would have scoffed prior to SM2. I was never an Ock fan in the comics (Molina even said that he read Spider-man comics, but couldn't recall Ock), and after DaFoe was such a perfect Goblin, I was prepared for SM2 to be a letdown.

Then Molina shows up looking like a bareknuckles boxer from the early 1900s with both eloquence and confidence. His tentacles looked better than I could have imagined, even down to how tightly the harness fit around his waist. It was an entirely different take than what I was expecting, and it was sublime.

Curious if they'll keep the SM2 look or if they'll change him up a bit.

Praying for Goblin to get a makeover at the very least.

I'm probably in the minority, but I loved the Brand New Day look. Marvel could do a modified version of that where Ock is really old and in need of cybernetic upgrades, but that might be too expensive.

he's not regarded as high as TDK Joker. No way. That dude has his own wikipedia page, that's so much of a cultural impact he's had lol

I think people love Molina's Doc Ock because he has the sympathy from his pre-accident background but he can be completely ruthless when the tentacles take over.

Comparing Molina's Ock to Ledger's Joker is apples to oranges. They are so diametrically opposite in terms of motive-- and that's why people love them.

Molina made me a believer, and that's something at which I would have scoffed prior to SM2. I was never an Ock fan in the comics (Molina even said that he read Spider-man comics, but couldn't recall Ock), and after DaFoe was such a perfect Goblin, I was prepared for SM2 to be a letdown.

Then Molina shows up looking like a bareknuckles boxer from the early 1900s with both eloquence and confidence. His tentacles looked better than I could have imagined, even down to how tightly the harness fit around his waist. It was an entirely different take than what I was expecting, and it was sublime.
Back when I was a kid I didn't know much about Doc Ock, the Spider-Man I grew up with was the 94 cartoon and that's about all the exposure I got with that villain. I remember him now mostly from the sinister 6 episodes
Times when villains were fully fledged characters, not pawns to beat.
I'd say there are still plenty of villains in more recent films that were full fledged characters too. We haven't lost that
I think people love Molina's Doc Ock because he has the sympathy from his pre-accident background but he can be completely ruthless when the tentacles take over.

Comparing Molina's Ock to Ledger's Joker is apples to oranges. They are so diametrically opposite in terms of motive-- and that's why people love them.
In a different interview I remember Molina saying how he really wanted to portray the change in character from the loving husband, and mentor to the maniacal mad scientist.

Whether comparing this Doc Ock to that Joker is apples to oranges, they are still fruits that can be compared to some capacity. Both supervillains in comic book movies.
Found this old interview. This brings me back!

wow lol I hadn't seen this before but he even spoiled his whole character arc during this interview

We're fourteen pages into this thread and we haven't gotten a single look at him in this movie yet. Noice. :cool:

We're fourteen pages into this thread and we haven't gotten a single look at him in this movie yet. Noice. :cool:

That was probably the same thing people were saying after going a few hundred pages and not getting a single look at Galactus in Rise of the Silver Surfer.

I think he for sure will be in the trailer. He's one of only two legacy characters who were officially confirmed to be in it, so the powers that be aren't hiding the fact.

Ock is the one person I want to see in this first trailer. I'm fine if they hold off on anyone else, as long as he appears lol

Watch it only his tentacles pop up and that's it. :hehe:
Alfred Molina as the actor has already been confirmed, and it's also been confirmed that they're digitally de-aging him. So there's no need to tease with Doc Ock, they can show us the return of the mad scientist in all his glory

Alfred Molina as the actor has already been confirmed, and it's also been confirmed that they're digitally de-aging him. So there's no need to tease with Doc Ock, they can show us the return of the mad scientist in all his glory
I'm aware, I was semi-joking lol

I just read an article with that quote last night. I'm partially deflated that we won't get to see a decrepit, partially cybernetic Ock, but I can't be completely upset that we'll see the smooth, big Ock from SM2.

I just read an article with that quote last night. I'm partially deflated that we won't get to see a decrepit, partially cybernetic Ock, but I can't be completely upset that we'll see the smooth, big Ock from SM2.

Well Molina said that they can digitally de-age him, but he'll still move like an old man which they can't change.

Well Molina said that they can digitally de-age him, but he'll still move like an old man which they can't change.

What do you mean move like an old man? Doc Ock does his main physical activity with the tentacles. What did Molina do in SM-2 physically that would move like an old man if he was to do it again now?

Many action scenes are CGI-enhanced these days. I don't see why Molina couldn't throw some roundhouses or choke someone.

He just has to stand and let the arms do all the work. whats the issue?

Molina doesn't have to run, but even the smallest movements won't look as energetic as 17 years ago. Even his sudden head movement during the fight will not look like before.

FastThoseEelelephant-size_restricted.gif

In the case of Robert DeNiro, all his movements, even while sitting at the table, betrayed his age in The Irishman.

RmNN.gif

De-Niro.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"