Zak Penn talks...Hulk sequel!

^ Where do you see them ignoring what made the character popular in the first place? So far everything LL has said about the film is everything people wanted in the film. While the first film was great to me it was NOT what made the character popular in the first place. Please staring at fungi, having no super-villain, and his father being the absorbing man turning into a big bubble, Hulk dogs? Is that what made the character popular???

Advanced Dark said:
^ Where do you see them ignoring what made the character popular in the first place? So far everything LL has said about the film is everything people wanted in the film. While the first film was great to me it was NOT what made the character popular in the first place. Please staring at fungi, having no super-villain, and his father being the absorbing man turning into a big bubble, Hulk dogs? Is that what made the character popular???

If you would have read instead of skimmed, it would make sense- I have never said they're ignoring what makes the character popular. In fact, my post even said that they're going to inject the film full of it. What I'm saying is that the people on this project have shown a lack of understanding for what the Hulk is primarily about. It's not an issue of popularity, it's an issue of concept.

You brought up unpopular parts of the film, so I'll just address a few and you can tell me where Ang got the core concept wrong:

"Staring at fungi"- The Hulk has to be both monstrous and human. Without humanity he is Godzilla on 'roids. The sequence before this vividly depicts the inhuman power and larger-than-life nature of the Hulk. Since at this point in the script the Hulk is no place in the vicinity of Betty he needs something to convey that deep down he is not violent so much as he is prone to violence. Hence the tie-in: he looks at the fungi. The tie-in is in many forms. For one, his fascination of this base organism is ironic considering his own attributes come from the toying with nature. Secondly, it ties in with Bruce's deleted thesis. When one tries to control nature you get forces of nature like the Hulk. When one seeks to leave things as they are the natural reaction is equality. Peter David gets this point dead-on in the novelization. Had the Hulk been left to his own devices his lucid attempts at viewing the world through his newborn eyes would have allowed him to return to Banner's state. It's also a good shot that makes use of the movie Hulk's "human" features.

"Having no super-villain/ his father being the Absorbing Man"- I'll give you two people off the top of my head the Hulk can find himself fighting- The Abomination and The Leader. With that said, there isn't much else. Madman/ Ravage/ Flux are all forgettable characters.So the film had to be creative in that they needed someone who would trigger the transformations while offering a conflict. The Abomination and The Leader were just too early to bring in if they were working with the prospect of a trilogy. Thus the usage of the Absorbing Man. The idea is not original to Schamus' script. David Hayter's original script treatment used Creed as a villain, and Creed is known for having fought the Hulk on a few notable occasions. It also makes more sense to involve the absorbing powers. The fight between Banner and his father is a mental one moreso than a physical one, a cyclical battle between David's quest for power and Banner's quest for normalcy. The fight ends when Banner comes to the realization that conflict breeds more conflict, and succumbs to the absorbing powers. The point being made is that in the end the Hulk perseveres not through his trademark power but through his ability to walk away from the pain his father has caused. It worked to both add scientific fact, character epiphany and a tinge of Greek tragedy to the film. My only qualm is that it could have been longer.

"Turning into a big bubble"- Again, I fail to see the qualm. The film was trying to visually show that there is no way to contain the Hulk's near-infinite amount of power as David was trying to do, as The Leader has tried in the books and how Banner has tried in all mediums. It's the same issue the sequel will face. The film tried to show the Hulk's indominable fury both through growth depending on how angry he was and the fact that The Father's body deformed in it's attempt to stabalize itself. The reaction didn't stop because (like all Hulk villains) David's train of thought he could control a force of nature proved to be foolhardy. And, again, this is not an original idea. The Leader goes through the same thing in Hayter's script treatment. I don't know about you, but I would rather be able to see examples of what's happening than little snippets to please the fanbase like what X3 did with Phoenix. In that film the action additions were pointless. In this film they advanced the plot in a visual manner.

"Hulk dogs"- I love how people have a qualm with this, but are all for Hulk knockoffs making appearances in the film just to sate the collective appetite for two men hitting each other...that aside, this is a sequence that was necessary. I don't think people understand how boring a fight with the Army would become over time in a film like Hulk once you've established enough times how ineffectual the Army is. Thus, you need something that shows how massively powerful the Hulk is. While too unique for it's own good to the point of being silly with the addition of the poodles, the scene goes to show that even when David tries to replicate his son's power there is nothing that can overcome the Hulk. Madman, Ravage, Flux, Abomination...none of them would have fit in this purpose. They all require even more screentime in a film that was already pretty long to explain how they met David Banner and how they were motivated to attack Betty. With animals it's so much easier, as there is no higher calling for motive while offering a visceral fight that shows off the Hulk's power.

Again, all this film did was take concepts that are familiar to the books and add a spin to it. That the spins felt "too artsy" for some isn't too surprising. The Hulk has always had drama and psychoanalyzation. The Hulk himself has to have humanity while being monstrous, and the film must be about the rage we can all relate to gradually coming out of Banner. If you aren't into either than the early books will be rather boring for you. Most audience members want to see action, but if they make the mistake of believing that's all it's about then that's their own issue. No one wants to dumb down Spider-Man so he can just be a webslinging crimefighter, so why dumb down the core concepts of the Hulk? The story is Faustian in nature and filled with a mix of both horror noir and characterization. If people don't like that then they should be aware that this film may not be for them. Not every character is as demographically wide as Spidey. Ghost Rider and Blade fans are an example- they go against the grain by enjoying horror and action elements. They shouldn't be screwed over to tell a "better" tale.

After an Abomination & Leader story there's plenty more. Since Marvel's got the rights back he will be in the Avengers films, and other heroes could crossover into a Hulk film. With 2-4 years between films they'll think of something. Also nothing has been screwed up yet.

Wait, Universal doesn't have the Hulk rights anymore? I heard Marvel was producing the film, but i still thought Universal had the distribution rights....?

Marvel is the studio making The Hulk and has total control of the rights. They let Universal distribute it probably to get the rights back early.

I think Hulk is a great character for Marvel to launch their independence.

^ Yeah but Iron Man is launching Marvel Studios on May 2nd, 2008 then The Hulk, then Ant-Man, Avengers, Cap, Nick Fury, etc...

Advanced Dark said:
Well with the exception of Elektra his films are making money.
Britney Spears has made a lot of money. Does that make her good?
Studios aren't hiring screenwriters so they can hang a plaque on their wall that says 11,000 die hard fans liked this film even though we went bankrupt making it that way. They're hired to fill seats for these type of films.
Making a good movie has nothing to do with pleasing fans. There are plenty of people who thought X3 sucked, and never read a single X-Men comic. Same with the first film. The beginning was just too damn long and they just didn't need all the background.
And again...Marvel has never made a film under their own studio yet so what do you know that I don't. I'd assume they have the most to lose or gain.
That's why the budget sucks. That's also why this movie isn't going to be as good as it should be.

Mr. Green said:
Britney Spears has made a lot of money. Does that make her good?

Making a good movie has nothing to do with pleasing fans. There are plenty of people who thought X3 sucked, and never read a single X-Men comic. Same with the first film. The beginning was just too damn long and they just didn't need all the background.
That's why the budget sucks. That's also why this movie isn't going to be as good as it should be.

The budget sucks? Where did that come from? LOL Also while I don't like Britney Spears myself there's millions of girls and boys who do. So is she my taste...no? Is she good enough to make her albums sell millions and millions of copies making all of those fans happy that fill up her concerts, and buy her cd's...yes. You realize that you're making absoloutely no sense. The studios go after pleasing the most people with films like The Hulk. You're trying to say your personal opinion is a reflection of the world and it's not. You know nothing of the new film and you have nothing to support why you think it's gonna be bad.

Also define "plenty". Sure there are plenty of people that didn't like X3 but there are much much more who enjoyed it and don't have an anger management issue with Fox, Rothman, and Ratner. In fact most people out there could care less who the director or screenwriter is. Are they ignorant for enjoying the film? No they are not. They're just not tightly wound over critical comic book fans.

Advanced Dark said:
The studios go after pleasing the most people with films like The Hulk.
No. They go after as much profit as possible. Which is why they let Zak Penn ruin so many Marvel movies (Fantastic Four, X3, Elektra...).

Advanced Dark said:
The budget sucks? Where did that come from? LOL

It's the truth. The budget of the first made squirming in more action for the sequences a difficult thing to do. Now we'll not only have the CGI on the Hulk to deal with, but also the Abomination to boot. It'll be more than a pallette swap if they want something convincing.

Also while I don't like Britney Spears myself there's millions of girls and boys who do. So is she my taste...no? Is she good enough to make her albums sell millions and millions of copies making all of those fans happy that fill up her concerts, and buy her cd's...yes.

You're thinking about talent that brings money. Mr. Green's thinking about quality of product and character. Those are two different things, and youngsters often find themselves unable to differentiate between the two (which makes a pop idol and, to an extent, comic book characters prime examples).

You realize that you're making absoloutely no sense. The studios go after pleasing the most people with films like The Hulk.

So that means that we should just let them put anything they want in? They had a field day with the Dark Phoenix Saga, and I'm not just talking about Fox as a company. Bad ideas have been pitched before and put on film. Whether Marvel consciously doesn't want to produce bad ideas or whether they are the ones creating this doesn't stop really bad ideas from making it past the drawing board. The comics have this issue on an omnipresent basis, and Marvel's judgement has become more convoluted as the days pass.

You're trying to say your personal opinion is a reflection of the world and it's not. You know nothing of the new film and you have nothing to support why you think it's gonna be bad.

We think it's going to be bad because we've been given people to confide in that we can't find ourselves able to confide in. If Marvel gives us quality actors and a quality script they'll have proven us wrong, but we have neither and have to work off of who is behind this in the here and now. We have Leterrier, who is one notch above Paul W. S. Anderson, and Zak Penn, who pissed off many fans and disappointed a few moviegoers (I put 'a few' in so you won't have to go on a tirade about how my opinion is wrong and yours is right) with his screenplay. That isn't much to confide in. Granted, MSJ produced Daredevil and now is behind the visually-amazing Ghost Rider. But he's been working on that story for years now. Penn has mentioned a disdain for the first film yet insists this will be a sequel...a 'vague sequel'. Superman Returns, anyone?

Also define "plenty". Sure there are plenty of people that didn't like X3 but there are much much more who enjoyed it and don't have an anger management issue with Fox, Rothman, and Ratner.

It doesn't take an anger management issue to identify a bad story, and (however wrong you seem to think they are) some fans (again, the phrased "some" used to sate your thirst for impartiality) found it to be a film that soured as time went by and replay value kicked in. People don't dislike "The Other: Evolve Or Die" because it made a lot of money, nor do they dislike it because of the people behind it. They dislike it because the story reeked in their eyes. Just because there are those who disliked X3 in particular means that you should deride them, which I'm sure you wouldn't be in the position of doing if it made less in the BO.

In fact most people out there could care less who the director or screenwriter is.

They shouldn't have to. The mark of a good director and a good screenwriter is when the film is so good that you can hardly tell where the wiring begins and the green screen ends. This is the goal of filmmakers. When true masterpieces are made the director is known instantly by name. Ang Lee was one of these directors, and still is one of those directors. When horrid endeavors in film are made seldom do people blame the people behind the scenes. They just don't go to see the film. Would you rather people did the latter? No. Having a person who knows what they're doing helps.

Who had a field day with the Dark Phoenix Saga? Fox did not Marvel Studios.

Advanced Dark said:
Who had a field day with the Dark Phoenix Saga? Fox did not Marvel Studios.

Re-read it- I never said that Fox didn't have a hand in how the Dark Phoenix Saga was handled, just that there have been cases in the past where bad ideas have not been halted by people promising us all through the development process that we were getting an unaltered product.

ChibiKiriyama said:
It's the truth. The budget of the first made squirming in more action for the sequences a difficult thing to do. Now we'll not only have the CGI on the Hulk to deal with, but also the Abomination to boot. It'll be more than a pallette swap if they want something convincing.

You're thinking about talent that brings money. Mr. Green's thinking about quality of product and character. Those are two different things, and youngsters often find themselves unable to differentiate between the two (which makes a pop idol and, to an extent, comic book characters prime examples).

So that means that we should just let them put anything they want in? They had a field day with the Dark Phoenix Saga, and I'm not just talking about Fox as a company. Bad ideas have been pitched before and put on film. Whether Marvel consciously doesn't want to produce bad ideas or whether they are the ones creating this doesn't stop really bad ideas from making it past the drawing board. The comics have this issue on an omnipresent basis, and Marvel's judgement has become more convoluted as the days pass.

We think it's going to be bad because we've been given people to confide in that we can't find ourselves able to confide in. If Marvel gives us quality actors and a quality script they'll have proven us wrong, but we have neither and have to work off of who is behind this in the here and now. We have Leterrier, who is one notch above Paul W. S. Anderson, and Zak Penn, who pissed off many fans and disappointed a few moviegoers (I put 'a few' in so you won't have to go on a tirade about how my opinion is wrong and yours is right) with his screenplay. That isn't much to confide in. Granted, MSJ produced Daredevil and now is behind the visually-amazing Ghost Rider. But he's been working on that story for years now. Penn has mentioned a disdain for the first film yet insists this will be a sequel...a 'vague sequel'. Superman Returns, anyone?

It doesn't take an anger management issue to identify a bad story, and (however wrong you seem to think they are) some fans (again, the phrased "some" used to sate your thirst for impartiality) found it to be a film that soured as time went by and replay value kicked in. People don't dislike "The Other: Evolve Or Die" because it made a lot of money, nor do they dislike it because of the people behind it. They dislike it because the story reeked in their eyes. Just because there are those who disliked X3 in particular means that you should deride them, which I'm sure you wouldn't be in the position of doing if it made less in the BO.

They shouldn't have to. The mark of a good director and a good screenwriter is when the film is so good that you can hardly tell where the wiring begins and the green screen ends. This is the goal of filmmakers. When true masterpieces are made the director is known instantly by name. Ang Lee was one of these directors, and still is one of those directors. When horrid endeavors in film are made seldom do people blame the people behind the scenes. They just don't go to see the film. Would you rather people did the latter? No. Having a person who knows what they're doing helps.
Exactly. Just... Exactly. :up:

Advanced Dark, if you don't get what we're talking about after reading the above post... I just don't know what to say.

Why don't we wait and see what hppens. Although i doubt Penn's ability in doing a superhero script like X3 i'm putting my money on LL. X2 was ok because Singer was still around to make corrections if ever Penn made some mistakes back then. If they screw this film again then they should wait another 10 years more and let me do the script by then!LOL

HULKSTER'04 said:
Why don't we wait and see what hppens. Although i doubt Penn's ability in doing a superhero script like X3 i'm putting my money on LL. X2 was ok because Singer was still around to make corrections if ever Penn made some mistakes back then. If they screw this film again then they should wait another 10 years more and let me do the script by then!LOL

Penn didnt write the X2 script, Michael Dougherty, Dan Harris, and David Hayter did, Penn just got a story credit because they used SOME of his ideas but his actual script wasnt used.

ChibiKiriyama said:
If you would have read instead of skimmed, it would make sense- I have never said they're ignoring what makes the character popular. In fact, my post even said that they're going to inject the film full of it. What I'm saying is that the people on this project have shown a lack of understanding for what the Hulk is primarily about. It's not an issue of popularity, it's an issue of concept.

You brought up unpopular parts of the film, so I'll just address a few and you can tell me where Ang got the core concept wrong:

"Staring at fungi"- The Hulk has to be both monstrous and human. Without humanity he is Godzilla on 'roids. The sequence before this vividly depicts the inhuman power and larger-than-life nature of the Hulk. Since at this point in the script the Hulk is no place in the vicinity of Betty he needs something to convey that deep down he is not violent so much as he is prone to violence. Hence the tie-in: he looks at the fungi. The tie-in is in many forms. For one, his fascination of this base organism is ironic considering his own attributes come from the toying with nature. Secondly, it ties in with Bruce's deleted thesis. When one tries to control nature you get forces of nature like the Hulk. When one seeks to leave things as they are the natural reaction is equality. Peter David gets this point dead-on in the novelization. Had the Hulk been left to his own devices his lucid attempts at viewing the world through his newborn eyes would have allowed him to return to Banner's state. It's also a good shot that makes use of the movie Hulk's "human" features.

"Having no super-villain/ his father being the Absorbing Man"- I'll give you two people off the top of my head the Hulk can find himself fighting- The Abomination and The Leader. With that said, there isn't much else. Madman/ Ravage/ Flux are all forgettable characters.So the film had to be creative in that they needed someone who would trigger the transformations while offering a conflict. The Abomination and The Leader were just too early to bring in if they were working with the prospect of a trilogy. Thus the usage of the Absorbing Man. The idea is not original to Schamus' script. David Hayter's original script treatment used Creed as a villain, and Creed is known for having fought the Hulk on a few notable occasions. It also makes more sense to involve the absorbing powers. The fight between Banner and his father is a mental one moreso than a physical one, a cyclical battle between David's quest for power and Banner's quest for normalcy. The fight ends when Banner comes to the realization that conflict breeds more conflict, and succumbs to the absorbing powers. The point being made is that in the end the Hulk perseveres not through his trademark power but through his ability to walk away from the pain his father has caused. It worked to both add scientific fact, character epiphany and a tinge of Greek tragedy to the film. My only qualm is that it could have been longer.

"Turning into a big bubble"- Again, I fail to see the qualm. The film was trying to visually show that there is no way to contain the Hulk's near-infinite amount of power as David was trying to do, as The Leader has tried in the books and how Banner has tried in all mediums. It's the same issue the sequel will face. The film tried to show the Hulk's indominable fury both through growth depending on how angry he was and the fact that The Father's body deformed in it's attempt to stabalize itself. The reaction didn't stop because (like all Hulk villains) David's train of thought he could control a force of nature proved to be foolhardy. And, again, this is not an original idea. The Leader goes through the same thing in Hayter's script treatment. I don't know about you, but I would rather be able to see examples of what's happening than little snippets to please the fanbase like what X3 did with Phoenix. In that film the action additions were pointless. In this film they advanced the plot in a visual manner.

"Hulk dogs"- I love how people have a qualm with this, but are all for Hulk knockoffs making appearances in the film just to sate the collective appetite for two men hitting each other...that aside, this is a sequence that was necessary. I don't think people understand how boring a fight with the Army would become over time in a film like Hulk once you've established enough times how ineffectual the Army is. Thus, you need something that shows how massively powerful the Hulk is. While too unique for it's own good to the point of being silly with the addition of the poodles, the scene goes to show that even when David tries to replicate his son's power there is nothing that can overcome the Hulk. Madman, Ravage, Flux, Abomination...none of them would have fit in this purpose. They all require even more screentime in a film that was already pretty long to explain how they met David Banner and how they were motivated to attack Betty. With animals it's so much easier, as there is no higher calling for motive while offering a visceral fight that shows off the Hulk's power.

Again, all this film did was take concepts that are familiar to the books and add a spin to it. That the spins felt "too artsy" for some isn't too surprising. The Hulk has always had drama and psychoanalyzation. The Hulk himself has to have humanity while being monstrous, and the film must be about the rage we can all relate to gradually coming out of Banner. If you aren't into either than the early books will be rather boring for you. Most audience members want to see action, but if they make the mistake of believing that's all it's about then that's their own issue. No one wants to dumb down Spider-Man so he can just be a webslinging crimefighter, so why dumb down the core concepts of the Hulk? The story is Faustian in nature and filled with a mix of both horror noir and characterization. If people don't like that then they should be aware that this film may not be for them. Not every character is as demographically wide as Spidey. Ghost Rider and Blade fans are an example- they go against the grain by enjoying horror and action elements. They shouldn't be screwed over to tell a "better" tale.

Brilliant post, and totally sums up my feelings.

^ Listen I loved the first Hulk film however the stuff I described above was for the purpose of showing that it was NOT the material that made The Hulk popular in the first place. It was different than that. Argue all you want but the general public didn't like The Hulk as the fans did. Kind of the opposite of X3.

Advanced Dark said:
^ Listen I loved the first Hulk film however the stuff I described above was for the purpose of showing that it was NOT the material that made The Hulk popular in the first place. It was different than that. Argue all you want but the general public didn't like The Hulk as the fans did. Kind of the opposite of X3.

But those things have been part of the Hulk character. The Hulk has always interated with nature by just sitting and watching trees, etc. In fact, on the FF boards the day, someone said there was not enough scene's of the Hulk watching nature in Ang Lee's movie! And you keep going on about how much X3 made, but actually, X2 was more profitable.

^ Yes but the Hulk sitting and watching trees is not what made him popular. You don't see any Hulk fans with sigs that say: Hulk sits and watches trees! Sure I'll bet there is one or two people who would say there wasn't enough of that but once again you're missing the point. No studio is gonna make a Hulk movie to please just the original fans of the comic if there's a risk it'll turn off the rest of the population. I loved The Hulk but I also understand it was too deep for the moviegoeres in general to enjoy, and it wasn't fast paced and fun enough consistently to get kids all excited to go back and watch it 2 or 3 times like x-men or spidey, or Pirates. So they need to balance the film more to keep the comic book fans happy a bit, but also make a really fun film that shows off The Hulk as a hero more...while staying true to the characters. Did you read Louis Leterriers e-mail to me I posted here. That sounded very positive and most people were happy about what they read there. Don't think just because they're not cloning Ang's movie that it's gonna automatically be a bad film. Give it a chance.

Advanced Dark said:
^ Yes but the Hulk sitting and watching trees is not what made him popular. You don't see any Hulk fans with sigs that say: Hulk sits and watches trees! Sure I'll bet there is one or two people who would say there wasn't enough of that but once again you're missing the point. No studio is gonna make a Hulk movie to please just the original fans of the comic if there's a risk it'll turn off the rest of the population. I loved The Hulk but I also understand it was too deep for the moviegoeres in general to enjoy, and it wasn't fast paced and fun enough consistently to get kids all excited to go back and watch it 2 or 3 times like x-men or spidey, or Pirates. So they need to balance the film more to keep the comic book fans happy a bit, but also make a really fun film that shows off The Hulk as a hero more...while staying true to the characters. Did you read Louis Leterriers e-mail to me I posted here. That sounded very positive and most people were happy about what they read there. Don't think just because they're not cloning Ang's movie that it's gonna automatically be a bad film. Give it a chance.

I perfectly got your point, but you seem to be missing mine. I know studios wont make movies 'just for fanboys' as you like to put it. But the BEST CB movies have been made with both CB fans and movie fans alike in mind. BB, Spiderman 1 and 2 and X2 are probably the most faithful movies to the comics and yet they are also the most popular among general movie fans also. Whats so hard about making a faithful movie that everyone will like? And X3 was no were near faithful or entertaining to me. The odd change i told mind, but fundamentaly changing multiple characters and storylines i wont take, sorry but thats me. And IMO Zak 'Every scene in this movie is from the comics' Penn doesnt fill me with confidence that TIH will be faithful either.

^ I just said that. Nobody said that this isn't gonna ride the line between fanboys and popcorn films. It needs to have qualities of both to make the production worthwhile for a Hulk film. That's all.

Advanced Dark said:
^ I just said that. Nobody said that this isn't gonna ride the line between fanboys and popcorn films. It needs to have qualities of both to make the production worthwhile for a Hulk film. That's all.

So do you think X3 catered to both? Because i dont.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"