8.13 - Power - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

yea hopefully with episodes 15-22 we can get clark back on track and not be all agnst.

I was completely thrilled by this episode !!! That was really good ! I was impressed by Lana plans and schemes and twists. Completely unexpected !
Te moment when she cuts her hairs was almost scary, andby the way all this oment was strange, sounds strange, was filmed in a weird way. I won't call it a copy, but I have seen parallels between Lana and V for Vendetta's Evey.
I like dthe story around Lana pretty much but I think the organisation of the differen characters around her was not so good. Well, except the filming of Lana's last talk to Clark : Ihad the impression it had been filmed during last season !
Anyway, I think Tom Welling is getting better and better. I keep finding him a little bit static, especially when the camera shows his entire body, but I like it when he talks loud or with authority :seems natural and precisely good.
:up:

Hey, am I the only one who saw the Green Power Suit of Lex in the previous episode ? on the Isis Foundation screens ?

Spot on, Trip! Good job! :up:

Are you looking forward to your next review, or dreading it? LOL

It was a great review and i agree with you a 100%. Dreadful, dreadful episode but you review was great, great one.

Thanks!

Spot on, Trip! Good job! :up:

Are you looking forward to your next review, or dreading it? LOL

Not sure yet, I agree with idea that where they left Clark may not leave him any place to go...

I haven't finished the review yet, but I guess we'll see what I come up with.

Glad you liked it!

Very nice review, I enjoyed reading it. Your observations on what's wrong with the route they took Lana down were particularly good.

Thank you...

I got a lecture from some guy (or girl) over on k-site about not looking to TV shows for moral guidance, that they're only for entertainment, I was like WTF?

LOL!

:D

I had no idea how to respond to that, so I didn't...

:confused:

Great review Triplet, and I agree, it was a pretty blah episode.

Heh, they wanted to use that Chun-Li experience KK got. :p

That was a great review. You even found some positive things to say about the episode which is a feat in itself. Great job! :yay:

I got a lecture from some guy (or girl) over on k-site about not looking to TV shows for moral guidance, that they're only for entertainment, I was like WTF?
That sometimes is really all you can do. :p

That was a great review. You even found some positive things to say about the episode which is a feat in itself. Great job! :yay:

Thanks!

Yeah, there were a *few* things to like, but not many IMO.

That sometimes is really all you can do. :p

LOL!

I think I'm going to have to wait and see what happens overnight... The **** keeps getting piled on over in my PM box on k-site.

Was what I said about Kristin and the oblique reference I made to her Girls By Design blog a personal bash of Kristin?

I wasn't trying to do that, I was seriously confused by her agreeing to this storyline when she's all about personal empowerment for girls in real life.

*shrug*

Was what I said about Kristin and the oblique reference I made to her Girls By Design blog a personal bash of Kristin?

I wasn't trying to do that, I was seriously confused by her agreeing to this storyline when she's all about personal empowerment for girls in real life.

*shrug*
Backwards is backwards, and whatever the intentions were on the part of the writers, and whatever Kreuk's input was... in the end, the story they were telling carried the opposite message that her org is trying to promote. So what if people don't like that you've pointed it out...

I don't think it's an issue anyone should really get riled up over... as anyone should remember, it is just entertainment... but that doesn't make the point any less valid, especially when considering how many young(ish), impressionable people the show is geared towards.

yea i have yet to read your review trip been busy today with classes going to read it when i got time tomorrow.

*shrug*
Simply put. Yes. From the bit we know through Kristin's interviews we were never told what she had an actual impact on. Maybe all Kristin wanted was for Lana to stop being a victim, get a life/purpose on her own that for once is not based on a guy and closure with Clark in a proper way.

Now what one wants and what one gets is a whole different story. Considering the lack of thought and ability to write of this show's PTB maybe this was the 'best' they can do.

You put the blame on Kristin for the most part. And bringing GbD into the picture was really uncalled for. Since you basically insinuated she is a bad role model for something that 'only' she had an influence over. When fact is that it's pure speculation on your part on what and in which compacity she had influence.

Just my two cents...

Last edited:
I think I'm going to have to wait and see what happens overnight... The **** keeps getting piled on over in my PM box on k-site.

If you called out her site then commented on her input in the show in relation to the site, then I can see why some might be upset. You might have been best to leave the website out of the equation and just say I read in an interview.

You probably felt the wrath of the sweet website.

As for getting your website flooded, i am suprised more didn't for your terrible review of Lucy :p

Backwards is backwards, and whatever the intentions were on the part of the writers, and whatever Kreuk's input was... in the end, the story they were telling carried the opposite message that her org is trying to promote. So what if people don't like that you've pointed it out...

I don't think it's an issue anyone should really get riled up over... as anyone should remember, it is just entertainment... but that doesn't make the point any less valid, especially when considering how many young(ish), impressionable people the show is geared towards.

That's the point I was trying to make, it doesn't make sense given what her organization is designed to promote that she'd be involved in a storyline that essentially adovcates the opposite...

Simply put. Yes. From the bit we know through Kristin's interviews we were never told what she had an actual impact on. Maybe all Kristin wanted was for Lana to stop being a victim, get a life/purpose on her own that for once is not based on a guy and closure with Clark in a proper way.

Now what one wants and what one gets is a whole different story. Considering the lack of thought and ability to write of this show's PTB maybe this was the 'best' they can do.

You put the blame on Kristin for the most part. And bringing GbD into the picture was really uncalled for. Since you basically insinuated she is a bad role model for something that 'only' she had an influence over. When fact is that it's pure speculation on your part on what and in which compacity she had influence.

Just my two cents...

I wasn't trying to blame Kristin... I

I don't know.

I still think it's a valid thing to point out that GBD is diametrically opposed to the sort of thinking this storyline essentially promotes...

If you called out her site then commented on her input in the show in relation to the site, then I can see why some might be upset. You might have been best to leave the website out of the equation and just say I read in an interview.

You probably felt the wrath of the sweet website.

As for getting your website flooded, i am suprised more didn't for your terrible review of Lucy :p

Well, my review of Lucy isn't up anywhere anymore, but in retrospect I gave it too high a grade so it's probably just as well.

;)

Good job but just FYI, Prometheus was a Titan and a brother to Atlas and not a minor God. He decided to side with Zeus and his aliies rather then fight alongside the titans. He then created man and eventually give them fire which he stole.

I apologise if you find my remark offensive anyway because the review in itself was excellent.

I wasn't trying to blame Kristin... I

I don't know.

I still think it's a valid thing to point out that GBD is diametrically opposed to the sort of thinking this storyline essentially promotes...
It's not valid to bring something into your review that has nothing whatsoever to do with the tv show Smallville. That's the big problem here. Neither has anything to do with the other. Neither has any influence on what happens with one or the other.

So bringing GbD into the discussion/review was out of line. Even if you think what GbD stands for is opposite to what was shown on the show. It doesn't matter. Both are projects that have nothing to do with each other. Same goes for Kristin's involvement with both. We know GbD IS Kristin's project. We DON'T know as to what part of Lana's arc was Kristin's 'doing'. We DON'T know how much influence she really had and on what. We DON'T know whether what Kristin wanted and what TPTB did with it in the end were not 2 totally different things. It's all speculation.

So yeah the way you wrote it you put the blame on Kristin for the most part based purely on speculation. So it was even more out of line to bring in a project that has something to do with the actress. But ZERO to do with the show. Which is what you are supposed to discuss.

Again this is just my POV.

It's not valid to bring something into your review that has nothing whatsoever to do with the tv show Smallville. That's the big problem here. Neither has anything to do with the other. Neither has any influence on what happens with one or the other.

So bringing GbD into the discussion/review was out of line. Even if you think what GbD stands for is opposite to what was shown on the show. It doesn't matter. Both are projects that have nothing to do with each other. Same goes for Kristin's involvement with both. We know GbD IS Kristin's project. We DON'T know as to what part of Lana's arc was Kristin's 'doing'. We DON'T know how much influence she really had and on what. We DON'T know whether what Kristin wanted and what TPTB did with it in the end were not 2 totally different things. It's all speculation.

So yeah the way you wrote it you put the blame on Kristin for the most part based purely on speculation. So it was even more out of line to bring in a project that has something to do with the actress. But ZERO to do with the show. Which is what you are supposed to discuss.

As far as I'm concerned, the actor's image or brand, (in this case what they represent) is perfectly legitimate as something to critique when they're appearing in something. If it's a cause that Kristin feels passionate about, and she felt that it was being handled in a way that didn't make her comfortable she could have rejected it, even if that meant taking TPTB to court to get out of her contract.

If the actress is on the series, than all baggage with that actress comes with her. Branding can be a *****, that way.

Just my 0.02.

Good job but just FYI, Prometheus was a Titan and a brother to Atlas and not a minor God. He decided to side with Zeus and his aliies rather then fight alongside the titans. He then created man and eventually give them fire which he stole.

I apologise if you find my remark offensive anyway because the review in itself was excellent.

No, not at all, I don't find that offensive. If I get something factually wrong I don't mind hearing about it, in fact I welcome that sort of feedback.

The other kind can usually go either way..

triplet, what's your overall view of this lana ark, so far?(eps 10-14)

i hated it.:csad:

Hmm...

Didn't like it much. I'm not sure where this is supposed to leave Clark now that Lana's gone.

Well, I disagree.

She's been so vocal about this thing, GBD, and her stated goals for it are laudable, but then why do this story?

It doesn't matter how much or how little input she had, it's hard for anyone to say at this point, the end result probably isn't what she would have wanted either, which is part of the reason I brought it up.

I'd love to hear her take on how the episode turned out because I don't think that Kristin the person would agree with Lana's actions as the show was written....

I just don't think Lana changing herself to be hero is something that anyone should advocate. The Isis Foundation I think did a lot of good, despite it initially being used as some sort of front to cover her stalking Lex and trying to get dirt on him.

She'd done good things in the past without powers.

Lana was proactive and strong about trying to do the right thing in the past, why did she need to get the super-power suit to do good now?

I think Lana should have been a strong enough person to do try and help people without nearly killing herself in the process.... That's not empowering, that's slightly nuts.

But we'll probably never know what Kristin thought about this, but in the end my review is my impression of the episode at the time I wrote the review.

My views on Lana's actions, and Kristin's possible input into that storyline (which she had said she had in interviews), still hasn't changed.

Hey trip i read your review a little while ago. I totally agree with all the points you brought up in the episode.

She's been so vocal about this thing, GBD, and her stated goals for it are laudable, but then why do this story?

It doesn't matter how much or how little input she had, it's hard for anyone to say at this point, the end result probably isn't what she would have wanted either, which is part of the reason I brought it up.

I'd love to hear her take on how the episode turned out because I don't think that Kristin the person would agree with Lana's actions as the show was written....

Play Devil's Advocate

Kristen probably didn't want her character to be a victim(which she wasn't in this arc) and that's what she most likely pushed for. As for how it played out on TV, maybe when she was reading the script it didn't seem as bad as it played out on TV and even as she was acting out scenes she didn't put the puzzle together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"