8.14 - Requiem - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Remember Kryptonite has always been an unevenly written foil in the Superman universe.

From the comics to the movies to the tv shows, Kryptonite is never completely handled properly.

Superman will be weakened, as you said, a tiny sliver of the stuff; but then go on to carry a continent sized chunk of pure kryptonite crystal all the way to space with no lasting consequences.

Yeah i agree, although the effects of kryptonite seems to change quite often in this show.

They decided not to bring Kara back. To be honest if I was the producers i would have brought her back and ditched Chloe. Kara could have done the possessed by Brainiac/Doomsday storyline at 1/3 the price.

Ya know, as much as I disliked how Al & Miles used Kara last season, I wouldn't have minded if they sub'd Kara for Chloe in the Doomsday/Brainiac subplot. I think a Brainiac posessed Kara is more dangerous than Chloiac, and it would have been quite interesting to see the Legion decide to take her out. And it would've been a great ending to have Kara go to the 31st Century with the Legion as well. To be totally honest, I too would not have minded if Allison left the show and Kristin stayed in the first place. Just substitute Kara for all of Chloe's storylines, and insert Lana as head of Isis and Clark's confidant, and I'd be a happy camper.

Yea, somewhere along the lines people started getting the idea that Superman was above killing and very saintish, like you said.

When Superman first appeared, he was pretty brutal in the way he dealt with criminals. I remember a story where Superman sat there and broke a guys arms just to get information out of him, and then tossed him out the window of a skyscraper.

Even though he is more toned down now, and nowhere near as brutal, there are still examples of him killing. I mean he has killed Brainiac and Darkseid before. He thought he killed Doomsday.

And on a much more recent note, he beat Projekt 17 to death as well as pushed Darkseid into the source wall, which is basically killing him.

Long story short, Superman will kill if he thinks it will serve to protect the greater number.

I posted a panel in the legion thread from the trial of star boy where superboy is saying legionnaires should kill in self defence. Now Superman has to be a faultless moral authority for some reason, I think its misunderstanding Superman's concept of justice in 'truth, justice and the american way' as being the 21st century ideal. Both concepts of justice and the 'american way' have changed in 70 years. The example I would use is the death penalty, still lawful in certain states as a form of justice. How does that fit into the american way?

Nooo thats not what I meant at all, I understood the significance of the scene but my point is why couldnt he muster up any of this strength when he's facing DEATH. I can't name ones in particular but I'm sure I remember moments where something could come and wipe him out yet he's paralyzed due to the tiny rock next to him!

Dunno. People do amazing things sometimes when their loved ones are involved. Ever hear about that woman who was like 150 lb's tops and she lifted up the back end of a volkswagon after an accident so she could get her kids out of it.

I do get what your saying though, although I'd argue practically every Superman incarnation is guilty of having Kryptonite affect him as its convenient for the plot. I thought that at least Smallville sold it that he was in agony and about to die. It's not like he was lifitng up a continent full of the stuff with minimal impact to himself. ;)

yea true that with kryptonite to bad at times most incarations couldnt be more consistant with how much kryptonite and its damage effects on kal-el.

I do get what your saying though, although I'd argue practically every Superman incarnation is guilty of having Kryptonite affect him as its convenient for the plot. I thought that at least Smallville sold it that he was in agony and about to die. It's not like he was lifitng up a continent full of the stuff with minimal impact to himself. ;)

IMO, even though I wasn't a fan of the show, I thought Lois & Clark did the best use of Kryptonite. Not only does it come damn near close to killing him, but he's incredibly weak after the exposure. It felt like they made Kryptonite a very viable threat.

Yea and they used it much better then smallville at times like in lois and clark we didnt get kryptonite to middle of season 1 if i remember and over the course of first two seasons we only saw it a hand of times where we all remember in the seasons 1-4 they over used kryptonite on smallville. Now they are a bit better with it. Though lois & clark/smallville look and glow of kryptonite is my fav out of all kryptonite in media.

Dunno. People do amazing things sometimes when their loved ones are involved. Ever hear about that woman who was like 150 lb's tops and she lifted up the back end of a volkswagon after an accident so she could get her kids out of it.

I've always found it amazing that something created to give Superman's voice actor time off in the 40's(I think it was), would become such a plot device. And I never would have guessed that they didn't keep using Kara because they just didn't want to. I figured it was because she was disliked like Bela on Supernatural or because of budget reasons.

I've always found it amazing that something created to give Superman's voice actor time off in the 40's(I think it was), would become such a plot device. And I never would have guessed that they didn't keep using Kara because they just didn't want to. I figured it was because she was disliked like Bela on Supernatural or because of budget reasons.

I don't think they ever intended Kara to stay in Smallville permanently. I think she was brought on specifically so they could make a spin off, and when that didn't work out, they just had to let her go.

...and insert Lana as head of Isis and Clark's confidant, and I'd be a happy camper.

Oh come on you know the writers couldn't write a story were both Lana and Clark move on and be friends, they would resort to plots that make Clark depressed every other episode

Shouldn't Lana like be worried about cancer or something right about now?

Shouldn't Lana like be worried about cancer or something right about now?

Well going by SV canon which dictates Meteor rocks will either

A: cause insane evilness

or

B: Deadly seizures/tremors

that's what we should've expected.

but remember Lana trained before gaining powers so she's immune to it's effects.:dry:

yea they could always say due to the nano skin it negates the radiation effects of kryptonite so her body isnt harmed.

yea they could always say due to the nano skin it negates the radiation effects of kryptonite so her body isnt harmed.

Yeah I was wondering about the radiation effects too but that'll prob be their cop out!

My review's up, if anyone is curious what I thought...

Personally, I loved that final scene in the barn. Tom and Kristin both hit it out of the park, IMO.

http://www.kryptonsite.com/requiemreview.htm

Nicely done, trip.

Just as you got flack from people last week who liked that episode, I'm sure you'll get it again this week from people who hated this one. I'm glad that you just speak your mind regardless. :up:

Personally, I loved that final scene in the barn. Tom and Kristin both hit it out of the park, IMO.

I completely agree with you here Trip. Great review. :up:

While I thought the arc derailed the current story, and I didn't care for the direction, and I thought "Power" was a pretty aweful episode...when it comes to "Requiem", I honestly enjoyed the episode.

The acting was fantastic, that final scene had me tearing up, and it is really great to know that although Clark may be hurting now, the woman that he will ultimately fall for and can share his life with is right in front of him.

Sometimes circumstance will mess up something that you always thought would happen, but it really leaves open the door for something better that you never expected.

All in all, my disliking some things aside, I enjoyed the episode and it really is a very minor hiccup in an altogether fantastic season.

yea it was a pretty good episode just so many other normal ways they could have broken up clark and lana and not have lana be with powers and absored kryptonite and all that. Also trip great review as always.

Nicely done, trip.

Just as you got flack from people last week who liked that episode, I'm sure you'll get it again this week from people who hated this one. I'm glad that you just speak your mind regardless. :up:

I do try to be honest and give my honest opinion, although oddly my only direct feedback so far was due to my complaint about the only monitor Ollie was hooked up to was the pulse oximeter...

:confused:

*shrug*

It didn't look right, even if some pulse oximeters can display pulse rates.

I completely agree with you here Trip. Great review. :up:

While I thought the arc derailed the current story, and I didn't care for the direction, and I thought "Power" was a pretty aweful episode...when it comes to "Requiem", I honestly enjoyed the episode.

The acting was fantastic, that final scene had me tearing up, and it is really great to know that although Clark may be hurting now, the woman that he will ultimately fall for and can share his life with is right in front of him.

Sometimes circumstance will mess up something that you always thought would happen, but it really leaves open the door for something better that you never expected.

All in all, my disliking some things aside, I enjoyed the episode and it really is a very minor hiccup in an altogether fantastic season.

I don't think I said it in the review, but I was prepared to hate this episode given what happened in Power, but I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

I LOVED the final scene, like that was the best acting I think KK has done on the show and is probably some of Tom's best...

:up:

yea it was a pretty good episode just so many other normal ways they could have broken up clark and lana and not have lana be with powers and absored kryptonite and all that. Also trip great review as always.

Thanks...

I read your review and it was a good one although there are parts which I simply can't agree.

Nevertheless, keep up the good work.

Well, it is just my opinion I don't expect everyone to agree with what I say...

So, no worries. I'm glad you liked it mostly..

;)

Last edited:

So the fact that they left a huge gapping plothole that won't be resolved didn't effect your opinion? There was so many easy ways to fix the issue basically and it will just be forgotten about.

Beyond that I think Don and Holly are the worst writing duo on the show. I can never get people's love of Traveler. Let's see Clark gets stuck in a cage for the bulk of the episode and 3 girls rescue him. Yeah that's what I want to see on a TV show about a Superhero, what makes it worse is he should have been the one to save Kara. Persona was good, Descent while good could have been much better considering that was the pinnacle of the Lex arc and Abyss to me was one big waste since 2 episodes later Chloe gets her memories back and infected by brainiac(so what was the point of it again)? Time and Time again Don and Holly episodes seem to not portray Clark in the best light, can't say I am fans of theres you can add Requiem to the list of there episodes of the bastardization of Clark Kent.

So the fact that they left a huge gapping plothole that won't be resolved didn't effect your opinion? There was so many easy ways to fix the issue basically and it will just be forgotten about.

What plot hole?

Whatever it is, if I didn't mention it, it didnt' bother me, so no: it didn't bother me.

Beyond that I think Don and Holly are the worst writing duo on the show. I can never get people's love of Traveler. Let's see Clark gets stuck in a cage for the bulk of the episode and 3 girls rescue him. Yeah that's what I want to see on a TV show about a Superhero, what makes it worse is he should have been the one to save Kara. Persona was good, Descent while good could have been much better considering that was the pinnacle of the Lex arc and Abyss to me was one big waste since 2 episodes later Chloe gets her memories back and infected by brainiac(so what was the point of it again)? Time and Time again Don and Holly episodes seem to not portray Clark in the best light, can't say I am fans of theres you can add Requiem to the list of there episodes of the bastardization of Clark Kent.

I have loved almost every one of their episodes.

I loved Abyss....

*shrug*

What plot hole?

Whatever it is, if I didn't mention it, it didnt' bother me, so no: it didn't bother me.

Well there is easy fixes to the kryptosuit that I and many other people can see, yet they gave up so easily. If I didn't know Lana wasn't on anymore episodes I would expect next episode Clark hunting down for a cure. To me that was a plothole

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"