87th Annual Academy Awards (2015) - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he didn't win anything for Inception and The Dark Knight he damn sure wasn't going to win for Interstellar. The film wasn't received as well as those films. Period.

Does the Academy just not like Christopher Nolans movies? He never wins anything despite his ongoing success.
They don't like the idea of a blockbuster that's trying to be thought provocative and action packed at the same time too. Especially if it's made by Christopher Nolan. Only when popular opinion is too big to ignore (Heath Ledger as the Joker) do they actually acknowledge his films.

They don't like the idea of a blockbuster that's trying to be thought provocative and action packed at the same time too. Especially if it's made by Christopher Nolan. Only when popular opinion is too big to ignore (Heath Ledger as the Joker) do they actually acknowledge his films.

What the academy doesnt realize is without big movies like nolans they wouldnt be able to sit there every year and honor the smaller films that are in someway funded from blockbusters.

Seems to me Dakota Johnson never had a good talk with her mother regarding her movie 50 Shades of Grey before the red carpet in the Academy Award, judging from the outcome of the interview.

What the academy doesnt realize is without big movies like nolans they wouldnt be able to sit there every year and honor the smaller films that are in someway funded from blockbusters.

What you said. I mean he has all the pull it just seems obviously somethings going on.

Blockbuster and "popcorn" movies are reserved only for technical awards more or less. The big five are for artsy flicks that only a handful of people watch.

Seems to me Dakota Johnson never had a good talk with her mother regarding her movie 50 Shades of Grey before the red carpet in the Academy Award, judging from the outcome of the interview.
I get into tiffs with my mom all of the time. That's what mothers and daughters do. Your mother keeps saying the same annoying nagging **** that you disagree with it over and over again and it drives you up the wall. That's real life.

I blame the dolt of an interviewer asking Melanie Griffith, her mom if she was going to watch a film about her daughter in soft core S&M sex scenes. :doh:

From James Gunn:

I didn't really find the Jack Black superhero jokes offensive, did you guys? It was, like, a joke. I'm not sure if you guys noticed, but the writing on the Oscars didn't seem to be all that well thought out.

As far as Dan Gilroy saying that attendees of the Independent Spirit Awards have survived against a "tsunami of superhero films" - well it seems a bit weird coming from a guy whose wife has acted in two Thor films - really, that seems like you've drowned horribly in that tsunami. But I know I just kind of make up stuff as I go along on these awards shows, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Whatever the case, the truth is, popular fare in any medium has always been snubbed by the self-appointed elite. I've already won more awards than I ever expected for Guardians. What bothers me slightly is that many people assume because you make big films that you put less love, care, and thought into them then people do who make independent films or who make what are considered more serious Hollywood films. I've made B-movies, independent films, children's movies, horror films, and gigantic spectacles. I find there are plenty of people everywhere making movies for a buck or to feed their own vanity. And then there are people who do what they do because they love story-telling, they love cinema, and they want to add back to the world some of the same magic they've taken from the works of others. In all honesty, I do no find a strikingly different percentage of those with integrity and those without working within any of these fields of film.

If you think people who make superhero movies are dumb, come out and say we're dumb. But if you, as an independent filmmaker or a "serious" filmmaker, think you put more love into your characters than the Russo Brothers do Captain America, or Joss Whedon does the Hulk, or I do a talking raccoon, you are simply mistaken.

tumblr_nk8oqfp0sd1tljqxro1_1280.gif

Good words from James Gunn. I didnt even hear about the Jack Black thing until yesterday. I didnt really care about it. It wasnt bad to me. Also because I knew Black wouldnt be seriously insulted superhero films.

The people hating on superhero movies just seem like the type who are just mad at blockbusters in general.

James Gunn and a Tim Gunn for the new hosts just to call it "The Gunn Show".

The only thing wrong with Jack Black's bit in the opening number was that KG wasn't up there with him. :awesome:

Seriously, that was such a harmless bit. It was just a little section of the song where JB was basically playing the role of somebody who's cynical about the future of the movie industry, reciting a lot of the common criticisms- "Too many superhero/franchise movies, Hollywood is run by idiots, movie theaters will be irrelevant soon and we'll just watch movies on our phones, etc".

If anything, it could've just as easily been making fun of the people who say stuff like that. I swear, we are so oversensitive when it comes to superhero movies sometimes. If you're a fan of these types of movies, just be happy you are alive in today's day and age and stop worrying about whether they'll be embraced in a big way by high-brow culture, cause they most likely won't, and more than that...why do you even want them to be?

I understand there was a bit of an anti-superhero movie slant to the show (ironic after last year's "hero" theme), but it wasn't that big a deal, and Jack Black's bit was beyond harmless.

/rant

It's all true. The superhero oversaturation, the watching films on our phones, the Patrick! :waa:

Superhero movies are just the thing now, another type of blockbuster will take over in the future and people will complain about that.

Honestly I'm more worried about bland royals ass kissing stuff like The Kings Speech being labeled a great film than I am Superhero film. Superhero films aren't winning best picture Oscars.

Speak for yourself, Batlobs. My kitten broke her leg as the skit was playing out. I am personally offended.

My 20 year old nephew is tired of Superhero films. Some are tired of them, I completely understand. It won't last forever though.

I do wonder if another type of blockbuster will ever really take over in our lifetime. I mean the thing about the superhero film is it can basically go into every genre, which makes them kind of ubiquitous. We have crime dramas, noir, period pieces, political thrillers, science fiction, fantasy epics, war films and more to come, all found within the wide umbrella that is the superhero movie genre. That's where it's able to kind of have the market cornered for basically any type of large scale film.

Maybe one day people will get sick of them, but I don't know. Six years ago I was sure the bubble would've burst by now, but the appetite still seems to be there. I think it would take a string of really bad films to kill the goodwill of the genre in the public eye.

Speak for yourself, Batlobs. My kitten broke her leg as the skit was playing out. I am personally offended.

:funny:

Kids will never get sick of them, and kids will always be a demographic Hollywood panders to.

I am tired of origin films. Thankfully, Marvel seems aware of this and hopefully they won't give us yet another traditional origin story. Let's hope DC does the same. Or at least spices up the boring origin formula that started with STM.

I think there's a difference between just not being a fan of/being tired of superhero movies and complaining about them. From Gunn's letter, I havent read the exact comments by Gilroy, it seems like Gilroy is the second which I dont really like. But at the end of the day it's his/their opinion and I can just go about my business enjoying superhero movies

Superhero movies are just the thing now, another type of blockbuster will take over in the future and people will complain about that.

Honestly I'm more worried about bland royals ass kissing stuff like The Kings Speech being labeled a great film than I am Superhero film. Superhero films aren't winning best picture Oscars.

This

Last edited:
ratings way down this year. lowest in 5 years. i think people are having enough of watching rich people kissing themselves in the a$$.

I would watch someone kiss themselves in the ass.

If it's true that it's really his speech that Keaton had to put in his pocket again then it makes me even sadder for him. Then again, he should know better, right? Redmayne has been winning the important precursors (SAG, BAFTA) so he is technically the frontrunner and the expected winner. Or it could just be his hanky or some other note. :funny:

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity...ay-his-oscars-2015-speech-in-sad-vine-2015242

Keaton was another Mickey Rourke. Playing a winking meta role in a small film and losing to someone who played a real person. I think the nomination was Keaton's prize. Personally I thought Sean Penn deserved to win over Mickey Rourke. I have to see Birdman and The Theory of Everything before deciding who I think should have won.

I agree that Penn shouldve won over Rourke
and seeing Theory of Everything I have to say Redmayne deserved what he got.

Besides, even though he didnt win Keaton will be fine, I dont feel sorry for him. He's been working pretty steadily for how many years? One Oscar loss isnt gonna hurt him. He'll be cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"