90th Annual Academy Awards - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so pleasantly surprised by the results of best picture you have no idea LOL

I haven't had the chance to see it yet....but he deserved it for Hellboy....so I'm happy too.

I like that the Oscars televise the side categories. They're a a huge part of what goes into making the films that win the bigger awards.

I agree. I really get into watching the technical side.

The Shape of Water IMO deserved this award. It is I feel GDT's 2nd best film and is just a magical film. Loved everything about it. I thought Three Billboards was taking it, but glad the right film won.

The Shape of Water IMO deserved this award. It is I feel GDT's 2nd best film and is just a magical film. Loved everything about it. I thought Three Billboards was taking it, but glad the right film won.
I wish he had won for Pan's.

The only GDT movie I've ever loved was Pan's Labyrinth. So if I think of this win as recompense for not showing that film more love, it goes down a little easier, lol.

DXfor1MX4AAroQg.jpg

Wrinkle in Time folks should be happy they got a break. What a pain to sit through, if you aint 6 years old. lol

The only GDT movie I've ever loved was Pan's Labyrinth. So if I think of this win as recompense for not showing that film more love, it goes down a little easier, lol.
The only thing that gives me comfort that year is Scorsese won, even if he didn't deserve it.

The Three Amigos took over the goddamn world.

primary_EP_GuillermoDelToro_AlfomsoCuaron_AlejandrgoGInarritu.jpg

I think it serves as both a reward for Pan's Labyrinth, as well as a reward for this movie. Guillermo del Toro well deserved it for this movie. Everything about the movie was top notch, even if Pan's Labryinth is his masterpiece

Did GDT not thank Vanessa Taylor in either speech? Because damn, she helped him write his best English script by far.

McKay’s Cheney film.
Oh right! Well Keira Knightley has a few coming out that I am hopeful for, but I always cheer on Amy. :woot:

Also, really pulling for Bale. I know he has an Oscar, but just something a bit different about Best Actor and Best Actress.

Last edited:
I think it serves as both a reward for Pan's Labyrinth, as well as a reward for this movie. Guillermo del Toro well deserved it for this movie. Everything about the movie was top notch
It was fine. :oldrazz:

I think it serves as both a reward for Pan's Labyrinth, as well as a reward for this movie. Guillermo del Toro well deserved it for this movie. Everything about the movie was top notch, even if Pan's Labryinth is his masterpiece
I like this movie. But beyond being an apparent rip off, it plays like a really safe Pan's, without much to say. Again, I like it. But it just lacks anything that makes me go wow. And this is the guy who wowed me with giant robots punching alien beast.

Lady Bird, Dunkirk, and Get Out hit me a lot more. In terms of the technical and the emotional. Same for the Phantom Thread really.

I like this movie. But beyond being an apparent rip off, it plays like a really safe Pan's, without much to say. Again, I like it. But it just lacks anything that makes me go wow. And this is the guy who wowed me with giant robots punching alien beast.

Lady Bird, Dunkirk, and Get Out hit me a lot more. In terms of the technical and the emotional. Same for the Phantom Thread really.

Pacific Rim did not do much for me. I just thought while it looked good, it was a basic blockbuster with mediocre acting. Dunkirk didn't wow me. Get Out I was entertained by, but it didn't hit me like this movie did. Lady Bird I liked mainly for the acting and chemistry of the cast. I thought Shape of Water was a more complete experience. The 3 you named for me all had aspects I loved, but none were a complete experience for me like Shape of Water was. Phantom Thread was close and I adored that as well

Everything with Michael Shannon's character along with the running themes of advertising are a giant commentary about how our idea of a nostalgic 50s/60s America is a fantasy construction that has been sold to us and behind it is a rotten core.

That movie has plenty on its mind.

Everything with Michael Shannon's character along with the running themes of advertising are a giant commentary about how our idea of a nostalgic 50s/60s America is a fantasy construction that has been sold to us and behind it is a rotten core.

That movie has plenty on its mind.

Also don't forget the larger themes about outcasts that the movie highlights and the meaning of being human. It had plenty of social commentary on prejudice and seeing different people as inferior

Im so happy for GDT and Deakins. Bout damn time they got what they deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"