88th Annual Academy Awards - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out with the old. In with the new. :oldrazz:

I've done my research with the later releases in the year, and I feel as if though these film will have awards buzz. Or will at least be something to consider.

-Triple Nine
-Black Mass
-Pawn Sacrifice
-Steve Jobs
-St. James Place
-The Hateful Eight
-In the Heart of the Sea
-Joy
-Snowden
-The Revenant

Feel free to chime in about next year's Oscar race. :yay:

Those old white dudes voted for A Clockwork Orange, Star Wars, The Godfather Part I and II, Dog Day Afternoon, Taxi Driver, Midnight Cowboy, Raging Bull, Bonnie and Clyde, Apocalypse Now, Dr. Strangelove, Network, and Jaws to name a few in the Best Picture category. But I guess to you those movies are not daring nor ambitious.

They weren't old then.

It's beyond sad and into pitiful territory. Any other minority beyond blacks have had zero voice in the matter, and barely any attention amidst this suppose discussion over diversity. I'm getting a strong subtext of this being an exclusive black/white thing and the irony in that is deafening.

To have a voice in any matter, one person or one group needs only to speak out. The thing is, there has to be enough anger, frustration or just plain irritation in order to speak out. I don't see the irony in this at all.

What I see is one instance where the masses have tuned in to a valid hashtagged complaint about a hugely lucrative and notoriously competitive industry where opportunities for work and recognition are felt to be trending downward with regard to inclusion and, yes, diversity. Now, this may or may not be a perception with merit but don't be mistaken that this is about anything but money in people's pockets.

Just because it seems a black/white issue THIS YEAR doesn't mean artist of other racial or ethnic groups don't feel the same way.

How would some folks feel, I wonder, if all 20 acting nominees for OSCAR gold were non-Americans? For two years in a row? I think that might raise a new and different discussion about opportunity and hiring/casting/green lighting practices in Hollywood.

Just some food for thought.

Last edited:
They weren't old then.

So you're saying now that they are older they regret voting for those films? So tell me, what is this magical arbitrary number where old people suddenly change their whole taste in film? I guess Martin Scorsese wishes he never made Goodfellas and according to you should be kicked out of the Academy because hey he's old now.

Last edited:
Put more words in my mouth. This is hypnotizing. Yeah!

It's funny reading the first posts of this thread and how things turned out. Here's mine -

Why not? :o

Jennifer Lawrence will receive her 2nd Oscar win for Joy. It's also the year of the lesbian roles with both Cate Blanchett (Carol) and Julianne Moore (Freeheld) getting nominations.

Best Actor will come down to Di Caprio (Revenant), Cooper (Chef), and Jake Gyllenhaal (Demolition). Or just to piss people off... Eddie Redmayne will pull a back-to-back win with The Danish Girl. Have you guys seen the synopsis of that?! Talk about Oscar catnip. :hehe:

Well, at least I got some right. :o

To have a voice in any matter, one person or one group needs only to speak out. The thing is, there has to be enough anger, frustration or just plain irritation in order to speak out.
That's rather naive. There are not nearly enough voices in any of these particular groups to raise a big enough discussion where the spotlight is on them. There is no Jada Pinkett or Spike Lee in their corner. No one of real prominence in Hollywood at this time. It's unfortunate but you need that sort of power to push through the mainstream and social media.

I don't see the irony in this at all.
I see the #2 most represented group chastise the #1 for lack of diversity, while making zero effort to create dialog for the rest of the industry who are voiceless and faceless in this debate.

You have black Oscar winners, hosts, stars, hit shows, channels, starring vehicles, etc. etc. If you a black American, you have plenty of representation in media and powerful figures to look up to. Of course it could always be better, but it's a joke to paint a literal black/white picture of it all by avoiding the rest of the spectrum.

Just because it seems a black/white issue THIS YEAR doesn't mean artist of other racial or ethnic groups don't feel the same way.
The sad matter of fact is they've resigned to the silent truth that Hollywood is not the place for them to flourish and succeed as a group. I honestly don't know whether to feel proud or disappointed that they've not bothered to raise a ruckus about it.

SNL making fun of "Oscars so White"

The sad matter of fact is they've resigned to the silent truth that Hollywood is not the place for them to flourish and succeed as a group. I honestly don't know whether to feel proud or disappointed that they've not bothered to raise a ruckus about it.

While I can acknowledge much of what you say, if some of what I say is viewed by you as naive, I would opine that some of what you say is presumptuous.

But in regard to having prominent spokespeople and raising a ruckus, perhaps some are just more practiced at it due to their experiences with opportunities or lack thereof in this field and many others.

I want George Miller to win the oscar for best director for Mad Max, especially since we're living in the age where CGI is dominating nearly every form of summer blockbuster and we get an epi film like this.

That film was a practical effects madhouse and deserves the recognition for it.

The Big Short won the PGA! :wow:

Brad's 2nd PGA win. Amazing.

I still don't know what's winning the Oscars. But I guess it's a race between The Big Short and The Revenant now?

Huh. Didn't see that coming.

I was expecting it to be 3rd behind The Revenant and Spotlight but I'm OK with it since I prefer it over those 2. Mad Max is ideal but I felt it had no chance anyway.

Last edited:
Huh. I now officially have no idea what's gonna happen at the Oscars, lol.

Producers Guild is probably THE most reliable indicator for Best Picture. Consider The Big Short the frontrunner.

Miller's Best Director chances ride on the Directors Guild. And Bale is probably Stallone's main competition for Supporting Actor.

Huh. I now officially have no idea what's gonna happen at the Oscars, lol.

It's kind of exciting. It's been a while where there hasn't been a clear frontrunner.

Producers Guild is probably THE most reliable indicator for Best Picture. Consider The Big Short the frontrunner.

I still think that The Revenant is a threat but I do think now that its main competition is The Big Short and not Spotlight.

Miller's Best Director chances ride on the Directors Guild. And Bale is probably Stallone's main competition for Supporting Actor.

I still feel that Stallone is going to win but it's hard to tell because he's not nominated for a SAG and a BAFTA while both Bale and Rylance are. His best case scenario is that one takes SAG and the other one takes BAFTA (which means there's no clear consensus). If Bale or Rylance wins both, he might have some trouble. Bale already having one probably works in Stallone's favor as well. Plus neither are campaigning while Stallone is so I'm hoping he can still pull off a win.

The Big Short will win this.. Spotlight is good but its nothing groundbreaking and
there isnt really a stand out performance for me..(some of the minor supporting players are very good though)

In the Big Short all the A-Listers are great in it.. its presented in a really interesting way..
and its a overall a little more fun but still serious about the subject matter.

This is horrendous if true. These nominees were at the bottom of my list, and most other people I've talked with as well.

Well.....that was unexpected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"