87th Annual Academy Awards (2015) - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still surprised at how Redmayne ended up being the frontrunner. If you asked me a few months ago, I would've been so confident that Cumberbatch is taking this.

Anyone else noticed how Weinstein is not the awards powerhouse he used to be? Sure, he can still get his actors/projects nominations but his magic is not what it used to be. Thank god for that.

Im still surprised that Chadwick Boseman as James Brown wasnt even close to being considered. I'd rank that as one of my top 5 performances of the year

I'm still surprised at how Redmayne ended up being the frontrunner. If you asked me a few months ago, I would've been so confident that Cumberbatch is taking this.

Anyone else noticed how Weinstein is not the awards powerhouse he used to be? Sure, he can still get his actors/projects nominations but his magic is not what it used to be. Thank god for that.

You've just broken the jinx now. Watch Harvey buy every actor award and BP in Awards season.

Im still surprised that Chadwick Boseman as James Brown wasnt even close to being considered. I'd rank that as one of my top 5 performances of the year
The film came out too early and was a box office disappointment.

Fun fact alert: They may be releasing a never-before-seen Orson Welles movie this year.

Talk Boom, what do you know. Talk, damn you!?!? :argh:

There was a James Brown movie? Well color me surprised, and I like Chadwick Boseman. :(

The sentimentalist in me really wanted to see Keaton win, and I do think his performance was dynamite, and even more impressive considering it was all done in long takes with no editing to beef it up.

But, can't feel too bad. He doesn't seem like a superficial guy to me at all and he just bought himself a second wind in his career, which is what really matters.

I still just hate the contradictory message of awarding Birdman the big awards while snubbing the best and most crucial piece of the movie.

Hurt Locker was released pretty early too.
But the thing as I didnt even read anyone saying that. I didnt read articles saying "Boseman would be up if the movie was released later"

The sentimentalist in me really wanted to see Keaton win, and I do think his performance was dynamite, and even more impressive considering it was all done in long takes with no editing to beef it up.

But, can't feel too bad. He doesn't seem like a superficial guy to me at all and he just bought himself a second wind in his career, which is what really matters.

I still just hate the contradictory message of awarding Birdman the big awards while snubbing the best and most crucial piece of the movie.

Exactly. Im way more happy about that.

Hurt Locker was released pretty early too.
But the thing as I didnt even read anyone saying that. I didnt read articles saying "Boseman would be up if the movie was released later"
Is the movie any good?

I guess because of the tactics that the weinsteins are using, people aren't voting for their movies as frequently as in the past. No matter how you look at it, the weinstens made sure THEIR movies won Oscars and selected their movies accordingly.

As for REdmayne winning his oscar, there was something about the way he celebrated that just threw me off for some reason. It looked he had this look on his face like "OMG I WON AN OSCAR GOODBYE CRAPPY ROLES I AM A SERIOUS ACTOR FOREVER !!". Look at how humble people like Daniel Day Lewis or Cate Blanchett or even Adrien Brody were.
Also Redmayne campaigned like crazy to get his votes. I can't find the article anymore but when Redmayne had won one of the previous awards for this movie, he personally called the voters and thanked them and also asked them to vote for him during oscar time.

And as for Keaton. Sucks that he didn't win but on the bright side all hype for Birdman has definately brought him back on the map. He just needs to keep the momentum going and not fade into obscurity. If JK Simmons can get a meaty role like his role in Whiplash, i'm sure that Keaton will get his chance.

Talk Boom, what do you know. Talk, damn you!?!? :argh:

There was a James Brown movie? Well color me surprised, and I like Chadwick Boseman. :(
The Other Side of the Wind.

The film itself was fully shot but post-production was never completed due to legal issues. Sounds like those issues have been resolved. Rumor is it'll make its debut in May.

Who plays Orson? I loved the one with Vincent D'Onofrio.

There was a conspiracy theory that Redmayne purposely planned his wedding around Oscar season as an attempt to campaign for Best Actor.

Is the movie any good?

Eh lol

The movie itself is overambitious, but Boseman is great in the role. I say check the movie out. It's not bad at all. It just tries to be more than your traditional biopic and doesnt really work

I'd say Get On Up is far better than Theory of Everything in regards to bio-pics.

Then I can see why it was overlooked. Boseman is a great actor, but I don't think he can save a bad movie.

It is what it is. I was upset for maybe five minutes but moved on.

Ultimately, films can now introduce him as "Academy Award nominee Michael Keaton," and everybody who saw Birdman knows that he IS that film. He may not have an Oscar of his own, but he was the centerpiece of a Best Picture winner. It's not like anyone is going to forget that.

And I'm not so pessimistic as to believe that he will never get another shot at this again. The nomination alone should open doors for him.

Was this post yet?

Donald Trump is upset that a Mexican won best picture

http://www.salon.com/2015/02/23/don...ic_on_oscars_great_night_for_mexico_as_usual/

I went to Fox new's Facebook page and I got the feeling that all of the people on that page are just simply copy and pasting each other's comments. Because all of the comments are people complaining that Birdman shouldn't have won and American Sniper was snubbed and therefore the Oscars are full of liberals. This is one of the many reasons that Fox news is the worst.

I guess because of the tactics that the weinsteins are using, people aren't voting for their movies as frequently as in the past. No matter how you look at it, the weinstens made sure THEIR movies won Oscars and selected their movies accordingly.

As for REdmayne winning his oscar, there was something about the way he celebrated that just threw me off for some reason. It looked he had this look on his face like "OMG I WON AN OSCAR GOODBYE CRAPPY ROLES I AM A SERIOUS ACTOR FOREVER !!". Look at how humble people like Daniel Day Lewis or Cate Blanchett or even Adrien Brody were.
Also Redmayne campaigned like crazy to get his votes. I can't find the article anymore but when Redmayne had won one of the previous awards for this movie, he personally called the voters and thanked them and also asked them to vote for him during oscar time.

And as for Keaton. Sucks that he didn't win but on the bright side all hype for Birdman has definately brought him back on the map. He just needs to keep the momentum going and not fade into obscurity. If JK Simmons can get a meaty role like his role in Whiplash, i'm sure that Keaton will get his chance.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Redmayne kind of struck me as a spoiled 16 year old girl up there who just found out that daddy bought her the Lambo she's been begging for. And Keaton is the near retiree that's been steadily saving for the same car, but it was the last one in the lot and they're not making any more.

Lol overdramatic analogy, and maybe that's a little harsh on Redmayne but that was what was going through my mind as he lost his sh** up there.

Not taking anything from Redmayne's performance though, it really was a pretty incredible transformation. But he clearly played the better game was in it to win it.

Can't fault him for really wanting it, I suppose.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Redmayne kind of struck me as a spoiled 16 year old girl up there who just found out that daddy bought her the Lambo she's been begging for.

And Keaton is the near retiree that's been steadily saving for the same car, but it was the last one in the lot and they're not making any more.

Lol overdramatic analogy, and maybe that's a little harsh on Redmayne but that was what was going through my mind as he lost his sh** up there.

:bow:

I went to Fox new's Facebook page and I got the feeling that all of the people on that page are just simply copy and pasting each other's comments. Because all of the comments are people complaining that Birdman shouldn't have won and American Sniper was snubbed and therefore the Oscars are full of liberals. This is one of the many reasons that Fox news is the worst.

The funny thing is, Birdman is hardly a "liberal" movie. It shows the deepest, darkest side of the creative arts industry, it takes the complete piss out of the New York-based arts establishment, it's a movie about people screwing up, about compromise, about broken families. It doesn't glorify or justify a single damn thing.

All those whining conservatives are just complaining because American Sniper (which did not deserve its BP nomination, sorry) spoon feeds them everything they want to see and hear, and doesn't force them to question any of their values.

He was nowhere near as calm and collected as the guys he plays onscreen, haha.

So this is what it feels like to actually care about the Oscars (other than animation). It hurts. :o

I'm more shocked that people are demanding they cut out the musical numbers for the Best Original Song category. I remember when they montaged them and had dancers dance to a medley of the nominated songs. People were complaining about how they couldn't enjoy the music like they could with a full performance. :whatever:

I understand people hate it when an awards show goes over, but if anything should be cut down, it would have been the host sketches. Also Jennifer Hudson should have sang during the tribute, not after.

Can't fault him for really wanting it, I suppose.

Nobody can be faulted for having an ambition and despite it being a Oscar bait role Redmayne gave a very good performance. Still it just rubbed me the wrong away IMO.
Wonder if Redmayne will maintain his contact with Hawking or simply forget the guy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"