After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

I can't believe reading comprehension is so low that people believe this is what's being said.

I meant shouldn't have. And come on, a lot of people are still acting like Miller created Batman.

That's absurd. Batman isn't 'fun'. It's alright to feature a few humorous scenes but the last thing the Batman franchise needs is another Batman Forever or Batman & Robin just because you found The Avengers greatly entertaining. It took nearly a decade and a brilliant director to resurrect Batman after those events.

No thank you to a lighter and fun Batman movie.

After all the grim-n-gritty CBMs? What in bloody heavens are babbling about? Other than BB, TDK, Watchmen, Punisher '04 and V for Vendetta, you act as if the superhero genre is flooded with them. The fun and light-hearted CBMs outnumber the dark and gritty CBMs in a 5 to 1 ratio.

Honestly, I have to agree, albeit probably for other reasons. This conflation of Avengers with the Schumacher Bat films misses the point. Yes, both had jokes, but one was camp, one wasn't. Batman doesn't need an infusion of camp. It just, arguably, could use an infusion of the fantastic.

( oh, and you missed two more grim and gritty films, Hancock and Kick-ash. However, your point stands, thankfully. )

As for villains in a potential reboot, I kind of agree with the idea "start with someone new." However, there are a lot of villains who wouldn't work very well for that. Hugo Strange probably is the best bet; use for the theme of the movie "does someone have to be insane to do what Batman does?" Just make sure to give a resounding answer of "no."

I'd go with:

2015 film: Hugo Strange and Hush (villains that allow for flashbacks to Bruce's origins)

2018 film: Ridder and Bio-Terrorist Poison Ivy

2021 film: Black Mask and The Penguin

I think the fact that people are using The Avengers as an example of honing closer to comic roots and feel is distracting you and conjuring images of B&R and Adam West instead of something closer to a live action marriage of Arkham City and BTAS. And you don't see the latter because you lack faith in writers and directors doing Batman's supporting characters right IMO. Grayson shouldn't take away from Bruce because he is, in a very real way, an extension of Bruce. He repeesents both what Bruce lost and what he became. He also puts Bruce in a new role, having to become mentor and father. There's no reason Dick has to take away from Bruce at all. It's more likely that, with the wild success of Nolan's approach, when they do reboot they will find writers and directors that will know how to handle the charscter and how he fits into the Batman world and story. Batman is going to be the one cgaracter that WB wants to safeguard for a long time. If Man of Steel does well they might work to safeguard him too. But Batman is one where they are not going to make the same mistakes.

When mentioning The Avengers, I do think a more comic-booky Batman film is what's being asked for, but that's almost guaranteed with the following franchise. An insider told us WB is actually interested in heading into the 'Arkham' direction. Yet, I don't believe those who are suggesting a more 'fun' movie are trying to embrace the Batman lore and mythology from the comics. Not from the impression I'm soaking up when I read comments such as:

''Ugh, Nolan's Batman is so depressing. Why can't we get a Batman movie like The Avengers? There was no colorful, humor or fun moments in TDK."

Well, for the most part, that's not Batman. That's why. Unlike most heroes, Bruce Wayne is a severely damaged human being (remains that scared eight year old in the dark alley with his dead parents) who's hellbent on revenge/justice of every second of every day in his life. Thus, making him a cynical emotionally-crippled *******.

Dick Grayson might be an extension of Bruce Wayne's character in the comics but it would still be mighty laborious to make the dynamic between the duo work. Adding another main character to story usually leads to another character(s) getting a portion of their development/growth subtracted, and I don't want that character to be Bruce Wayne.

that's not your batman, there are several interpretations of the character in the comics. Nolan's seems more in line with Frank Millers or Jeph Loeb, but that doesn't make it the be-all-end-all of batman.

that's not your batman, there are several interpretations of the character in the comics. Nolan's seems more in line with Frank Millers or Jeph Loeb, but that doesn't make it the be-all-end-all of batman.

Yes, there are several interpretations of Batman, but I'll bet you my bottom dollar that WB isn't going in 'lighter' direction anytime soon. Batman is identified as a dark brooding character by the general audience. It's the most popular and accepted incarnation. bad place, the animated series and Arkham titles were no different. They were still dark to a certain degree.

I just want a Kevin Conroy inspired Batman. Whatever media he has portrayed Batman in, the characterization has always been pitch perfect.

I just want a Kevin Conroy inspired Batman. Whatever media he has portrayed Batman in, the characterization has always been pitch perfect.

Yes... Give me a B:TAS type Bats. bad place, adapt the Conroy interpretation right out.

And give me a little more visual flair as well.

40's period-piece. :up:
I'm starting to like the idea of a period reboot. Kinda like New Frontier, where we see Batman in the same era as the Adam West show, but with a straight face.

It would have to be an exaggerated 40's style movie, which mean it could be quite similar to Burton's.

It would have to be an exaggerated 40's style movie, which mean it could be quite similar to Burton's.

:barf:

For the love of god please no.

More of a classic film noir and not caricatured or rompy.

Burton Bats is the best he has ever looked in live action... in a broad sense.

I'd always be up for more.

Batman does have more of a sense of humor than people are giving him credit for. Batman shows the full range of human emotion, in fact for that very reason a lot of people detest Miller's take on the character, and frankly they have a point. Batman has definitely cracked wise in costume before.

Batman does have more of a sense of humor than people are giving him credit for. Batman shows the full range of human emotion, in fact for that very reason a lot of people detest Miller's take on the character, and frankly they have a point. Batman has definitely cracked wise in costume before.

He was always cracking jokes in his first years, when Bill Finger was writing him. For years, he has been a well rounded human being. Of course, he had scars because of his parents death, but he was a living caricature like some writers make him.

While I'm not huge on Miller's recent Batman work, I did enjoy his stuff in TDKR. His take on Batman was an amazing thing, and psychologically realistic, Batman as a tortured and disturbed soul, who's not really in the joking mood.

But heres my main beef...Keaton and Kilmer used it too much in their characterization's, which made them kind'a boring and Bale didn't use it too much, which made him seem 'fine'. Bale's take is a less disturbed Bruce/Batman, you see him make jokes and smile.

And it all boils down to Clooney...a BATMAN who is all cheerful and makes one liners, smiles at charity events....want to see that again?

While I'm not huge on Miller's recent Batman work, I did enjoy his stuff in TDKR. His take on Batman was an amazing thing, and psychologically realistic, Batman as a tortured and disturbed soul, who's not really in the joking mood.

But heres my main beef...Keaton and Kilmer used it too much in their characterization's, which made them kind'a boring and Bale didn't use it too much, which made him seem 'fine'. Bale's take is a less disturbed Bruce/Batman, you see him make jokes and smile.

And it all boils down to Clooney...a BATMAN who is all cheerful and makes one liners, smiles at charity events....want to see that again?

Why not. It's a much part of the mythos than the psychotic Batman. The brave and the bold animated series did a great job with a lighter Batman.

Another Clooney Batman?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Clooney was priceless. "Hello Freeze, I'm Batman". That's genius acting.

But it was silly.....like the old days of the comics, they were silly. Nobody goes for the silly take on superheroes anymore, and especially not for Batman.

However, the Batman in the comics is not exactly like Miller's take now. He isn't totally dark.

As I said, the perfect take? KEVIN CONROY! THE BATMAN IN TAS! THE BATMAN IN THE AA AND AC GAMES! Now there's a Batman who has a perfect blend of light and dark.

Batman from BTAS didn't tell jokes.

Neither did the Batman from the Arkham Asylam/Arkham City games.

So why are we talking about a Batman who cracks jokes?

He didn't make jokes, thank God, but he wasn't all downright moody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"