Shazam!!! - Part 1

Captain Marvel and Mary Marvel

walker-winstead-premiere-abraham-lincoln-vampire-hunter-01.jpg

^Mary should be a kid.

Both. They're both just integral to his mythology.

You wouldn't have to use them in all three films, of say, a trilogy, but they should at least show up more than once.

Especially in the case of Black Adam, the potential to use him several different ways exists. Villain, ally, dictator, etc.

Adam's cool but he's not very interesting as a villain,imo. Only when he's more after his own goals that Capt keeps stopping him.

Sivana I can see playing the more Magneto/Lex role where he sets up another villain to do his fighting.

And Mr. Mind is a must.

I'm not sure how to do Mr. Mind without doing it creepy.

In general I just think Capt would have to be the most surreal superhero movie to actually work.

But doesn't Mary Batson age up and transform into an adult when she becomes Mary Marvel?

That's how it was in the 1990s.

I thought she was a teenager? No I'm thinking of the Golden Age version probably.

Mary and Freddy only changed outfits. Billy was the only one that changed age.

No matter, I prefer the Smith's Monster Society take where Mary is a kid.

But doesn't Mary Batson age up and transform into an adult when she becomes Mary Marvel?

That's how it was in the 1990s.

Ya. I read The Power of Shazam too and also The Monster Society of Evil.

YA... pretty sure Mary was in her late teens or something like that in Power of Shazam and so is Freddy Freeman and I like that version.

The best idea from The Monster Society of Evil was how they actually gave a face to Tawky Tawny and made him a vagabond spirit. That does away with the entire talking tiger thing which would have come out very oddly on screen.

My present Shazam cast is 30 characters long so I should be posting it on CBM soon. And I did go for older Mary and older Freddy in that one.

Shazam is a tough character. There's almost no middle ground with him. Its either going to be a hit or a huge bust.

The WB better shoot for the stars on this one and get a director like Frank Darabont. He'l kmow how to get the mix of serious and fun right while having both. Also he's know how to trim away the cheesy stuff while respecting the comic book roots.

Another thing is that Billy Batson is going to have to be a great actor or the movie is going to get really annoying.

Captain Marvel is one of my favorite characters. I really hope that DC can bring him to the big screen and do it justice. My concern thought is with Dc wanting the character himself to go by the name "Shazam". I can see where they are coming form, but honestly it provides a few hurdles. The first and most obvious being that Shazam is the wizard's name. Now, you could simply portray it as though the wizard doesn't have a name, and that Shazam is simply the word that the wizard has looked for someone to pass it down to so they can use it wisely, and our hero uses to transform, and he decides to just use it as his name. But this leads to our second hurdle. How the public comes to know him as Shazam. Obviously it's far to coincidental for the public to dub him "Shazam" the same way Lois dubs Clark "Superman". So you would think at one point after he makes a save early on in the film, whoever he saved or a reporter on scene, or even a bad guy trembling in fear beneath him is going to ask the inevietable question: "Who are you?" And if DC mandates that Captain Marvel henceforth be referred to as Shazam himself, then that's the one question Billy can never answer, because as soon as he tries *BOOM* he's 12 again. Now, we could get creative and play it up as an aspect of Billy's humility that he doesn't want to be named, and only wants to be known as
"a friend" to the good and "your worst nightmare" to the bad guys, but it's iffy on how cheesy that could come off. Plus, even if it does work in one film, eventually, you're going to want the public to be able to call the character by his name, whether they're yelling "HI SHAZAM!" as he flies by, or if they're screaming "SHAZAM, HELP!!!"

Maybe a way around this could come in the form of a friend or ally that Billy shares his secret with early on, so when he makes that first public rescue, a reporter asks him a couple questions and he eats up the spot light, then flies off, then the reporter says "Crap, I didn't even ask what his name was!" and his friend is just staying there still awestruck by seeing what his best friend is capable of and tells her "Shazam". The reporter says "what was that kid" and the friend replies "His name is Shazam... and he's my friend... he's a friend to all of us."

Hokey maybe, but something along those lines? What are your guys' thoughts?

I would think not being able to say his name would be half the charm of the concept...unless he wanted to reveal his identity.

Anyone think that if a Shazam movie is ever made, they'll employ similar technology to all the live action movie Hulks and just have one actor play both Billy Batson and Shazam? Some child actors don't really look like their adult counterpart. Even when you look at adults' photos of when they were children, there is still a resemblance. Kurt Russell as a boy in that Elvis movie still looked recognisably like Kurt Russell as we know him today. Neil Patrick Harris as Doogie Howser looked like he does today as Barney Stinson.

Hulk doesn't normally look like Banner in the comics, and yet they've always chosen to make him have similar facial features. You can see this most prominently in Eric Bana's and Mark Ruffalo's Hulks.

So should an adult actor be digitally de-aged to look like a child or at least have his face digitally pasted and morphed onto a child's body? Or should they just get a proper child?

Well I don't think it's as critical with the Hulk as with Shazam! plus I honestly wouldn't mind if Billy was a teenager like the TV version. a proper kid/ teenager though.

An actor de-aged to look like a child? Are you stupid or something?

I think two different actors is a better idea, a deaged actor may look bad

I really think there's a ton of potential in a Shazam movie. I think you'd have to use two actors which isn't a problem in my opinion, I remember before when they were gonna make it the Rock was cast as Back Adam, I still think he'd be great casting for that role. I really hope they make a Shazam film.

Why not just use Dr. Sivana and Black Adam in one film?

Definitely it worked for the Brave & the Bold & that was a twenty min cartoon

Last edited:
Now that WB have an animation division, I keep thinking that Shazam could work really well as a Pixar styled movie. I think it's gonna be hard to do in live action.

I think the easiest way to fix a problem like this is to cast two family members as Billy and SHAZAM!. It could be brothers or cousins as long as they look alike.

That's what I'm trying to do with my SHAZAM fan film. Billy is my cousin and I'm SHAZAM!. We look alike but I'm taller and more muscular than him not to mention I have a few years on him.

Here's my idea for a SHAZAM! show, it's tv show I know but it counts. I even started a Kickstarter project to raise money for it. And here's the movie poster for my idea.

SHAZAMPoster2.jpg

Thanks! Help spread the word i really want to make this fan-film.

Bring the Monster Society of Evil
The World's Mightiest Mortal dosn't stand a chance against these guys...
SHAZAM%20MOVIE%20TRIO%20VIillains%20MAgic%20X%20Science.jpg

Mr. Mind - CG
Teth-Adam - Dwayne Johnson
Dr. Thaddeus Bodog Sivana- Jackie Earle Haley
Beautia Sivana - Charlize Theron
Mister Atom - CG
Ibac - Dave Bautista

Last edited:
I'd have Armie Hammer as elder Batson. His chemistry with Cavill in Man from Uncle was strong and he has the look.

I'd have Armie Hammer as elder Batson. His chemistry with Cavill in Man from Uncle was strong and he has the look.
I can somewhat see it, he has the height to match Johnson, and there is a boyish quality about him.
Although the Lone Ranger(original) and Captain Marvel were once cut from a similar boyscout cloth, the comparison now after the modern Lone Ranger might be a liability.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"