Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of SHIELD - S02E16 - "AfterLife"

I liked this episode. It was pretty clever how the refuge was called 'afterlife' and Cal said he wanted to meet his wife in the afterlife in a prior episode.

You know I actually thought this means Whitehall is very, very dead.

I assumed Cal took Whitehall's body with him and restored the stolen organs to his wife to allow her to fully recover so its not that she still has scars back from when Cal found her remains and arranged transplants whilst keeping her alive but that she has only recently recovered enough to be walking around.

That would explain why she still has the scars wouldn't it?

Excellent theory. I think I'll go ahead and consider it canon until the show gives us information otherwise. Unless that is indeed what happened, and if so, bravo to you.

@The Vile One,

I'd assume there's no reason to take her brain. He probably took her heart however (healthy heart means pretty healthy body, which is what Whitehall was after), which may have complicated her regeneration (assuming Hopeless turns out to be incorrect). I could buy that taking 20 years to recover from.

Are there any heart removal recovery feats in the comics? Wolverine must have at least one, right? How long does it take him to regenerate a heart and wake up after such a period of being practically dead (no heartbeat obviously)?

Excellent theory. I think I'll go ahead and consider it canon until the show gives us information otherwise. Unless that is indeed what happened, and if so, bravo to you.

@The Vile One,

I'd assume there's no reason to take her brain. He probably took her heart however (healthy heart means pretty healthy body, which is what Whitehall was after), which may have complicated her regeneration (assuming Hopeless turns out to be incorrect). I could buy that taking 20 years to recover from.

Are there any heart removal recovery feats in the comics? Wolverine must have at least one, right? How long does it take him to regenerate a heart and wake up after such a period of being practically dead (no heartbeat obviously)?

Daisy made it go boom and he came back quick from that .Raina nearly got the same in this episode

As for all the talk about how long she has been re-animated .Chloe and Jeff Bell said she has been back for the full 25 odd years.He stitched up the meat bag (whether with someone else's organs and she re generated ) - my moneys on blood and marrow being more the key than organs .Both went looking for Skye and then fell out at some point over him leaving Daisy behind ,with her going back to the mountain and him to his murdering SHIELD agents,manipulating street kids and Crazy Cal Juice.

Humbugged said:
If Coulson and his team put themselves in the way of HYDRA(or even ULTRON) to save Afterlife there is more likely to come to an accomidation.

And this is what Coulson does .He is always the guy leading the welcome wagon
Yes, and I think maybe even before that, if those inhumans realize that Gonzales's SHIELD is much worse for them that Coulson's, there might be room for some understanding.

Two other things:

1. According to Lincoln, the gloves compromised the transition seriously. I wonder whether it will turn out there is serious permanent damage, and as a result Skye will have a big reduction in power, plus a need to use some gauntlets to stabilize her power or something.

2. Why was the camera on the ground, beside the spike that hit Calderon?
If the camera caught the fight between Skye and Calderon on video, and later Gordon's teleporting, it shouldn't have been there. This seems to be a mistake, not part of the story, though.

Two other things:

1. According to Lincoln, the gloves compromised the transition seriously. I wonder whether it will turn out there is serious permanent damage, and as a result Skye will have a big reduction in power, plus a need to use some gauntlets to stabilize her power or something.

If the camera caught the fight between Skye and Calderon on video, and later Gordon's teleporting, it shouldn't have been there. This seems to be a mistake, not part of the story, though.

maybe another camera caught it.

on your above point. What if gonzales is right and coulson is the one press ganging powered individuals. Would that place him on the other side of civil war?

maybe another camera caught it.

on your above point. What if gonzales is right and coulson is the one press ganging powered individuals. Would that place him on the other side of civil war?
Coulson and Hunter retrieved the images from that camera. I'm not sure why that camera would store images caught by a different one. It's doable, of course, but very odd.

Anyway, that's a minor issue.

With respect to Gonzales, what are you saying he may be right about?
He says Skye is a "thing", blames her for the incident in which 7 agents were injured - which was not her fault; she was attacked by a team of assassins; it wouldn't be her fault even if the blast had killed them all -, and then claims that she would have killed everyone if Gordon hadn't taken her out of the fight (Skye would not have killed the agents she had already neutralized, or Bobbi, and at most she would have killed other agents still trying to kill her - well, maybe a few more accidentally in the process of returning fire, but surely not all).
He's wrong about all of that. But also, he's making unwarranted assessments - i.e., he's not thinking things through.

As for Coulson, I doubt he would be forcing people to work for him. It's possible, but I'd say improbable. I'm thinking he probably will be on the "no registration" side. That would also help him be in reasonably good terms with the inhumans.

Coulson and Hunter retrieved the images from that camera. I'm not sure why that camera would store images caught by a different one. It's doable, of course, but very odd.
I don't think they pulled the images from the camera itself. I think Coulson picked it up just to indicate to us, the audience, that there were in fact cameras watching the grounds when everything went down. When they're watching the footage of the multiple angles it's more likely via tapping into the main hard drive (or whatever) that all the camera feeds were recording to, located (probably) within the cabin.

(if that makes sense)

He says Skye is a "thing", blames her for the incident in which 7 agents were injured - which was not her fault; she was attacked by a team of assassins; it wouldn't be her fault even if the blast had killed them all -, and then claims that she would have killed everyone if Gordon hadn't taken her out of the fight (Skye would not have killed the agents she had already neutralized, or Bobbi, and at most she would have killed other agents still trying to kill her - well, maybe a few more accidentally in the process of returning fire, but surely not all).
He's wrong about all of that. But also, he's making unwarranted assessments - i.e., he's not thinking things through.

As for Coulson, I doubt he would be forcing people to work for him. It's possible, but I'd say improbable. I'm thinking he probably will be on the "no registration" side. That would also help him be in reasonably good terms with the inhumans.

He is creating a refugee camp ? Prepping for taking action against HYDRA .

He knows List is actually gathering the Gifted .If he liberates them he has to put them somewhere in the meantime .He brings Andrew in because Andrew has ideas about the process as we saw with Skye .They have made a big deal about explaining how the Welcome Wagon works or doesn't .

Gonzales has said a few times he is of the opinion coulson is stock piling powered people.

yes what he says about skye comes across as nazi like

it is possible he may be a nazi or hydra or a shield fascist.

or sees skye as coulson weapon.

just speculating.

if you are not in to this stuff we will leave it at that.
new information from this clip adds a bit more information from his point of view http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/04/agents-of-shield-episode-217-melinda_9.html still open to lots of interpretations,just throwing it out there, this show is all about twists and turns

Gonzales has said a few times he is of the opinion coulson is stock piling powered people.

yes what he says about skye comes across as nazi like

it is possible he may be a nazi or hydra or a shield fascist.

or sees skye as coulson weapon.

just speculating.

if you are not in to this stuff we will leave it at that.
new information from this clip adds a bit more information from his point of view http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/04/agents-of-shield-episode-217-melinda_9.html still open to lots of interpretations,just throwing it out there, this show is all about twists and turns

But we know from this episode that it is actually Dr List (and Strucker probably for the ULTRON tie in) who is hoovering them up .

Call a human being a thing and an animal ? That would be a fascist

But we know from this episode that it is actually Dr List (and Strucker probably for the ULTRON tie in) who is hoovering them up .

Call a human being a thing and an animal ? That would be a fascist

refugee camp is a good idea. could be that, deathlock intercepted the coded information about list 'last week' would suggest moving very quickly if it was the only information but mike also had been trailing him for six months so could be information that reinforces other information.

yeah it is a fascist thing to say in normal circumstances, Skye is more than a human being now, allegedly she may have the power to split continents. Nice character, very empathetic to others, knows her own mind, can say no to authority, but Gonlazes does not know her as that, to him she is an asset of coulsons who may have the power to split continents.

Good episode. The whole season has been very good, actually.

- Lincoln: Cool set of powers, but that`s about what we learn about him (aside from the random backstory). Luke Mitchell is very charming though, and his work on The Tomorrow People left me positively impressed, so I truly hope they provide him with an interesting personality/storyline. Just don`t turn him into Generic Love Interest by making his whole character about Skye.

- Skye`s mother is alive. Uhm... Okay, I guess? Not really all that interesting, I would rather have had a new character as head of the Inhumans. Did she simply regenerate - in which case Whitehall could do the same -, or was she reimplanted with her former organs by Cal (like a poster suggested)? Nice to see that she still cares for Cal though. Maybe she could be his salvation?

- "Let`s redeem Raina!" storyline: I usually like redemption stories, but that needs to be initiated by the character being redeemed, not by others. So I am hoping that Raina is still just as evil as always and just waiting for an opportunity to take advantage of their compassion. Also, while Skye was trying to harm her, couldn`t Lincoln have zapped Skye into sleep?

- Skye is special, once again, so everyone else is envious. Of course! Why not? Skye is already a walking amalgam of nearly every protagonist trope, why not add another one? It`ll be just like Harry Potter, kids love it! :o I really think that of all the problems the show had on Season 1, this is the only one that still needs fixing. I would much rather have the Agents of SHIELD be about the ensemble than about Skye. If they absolutely want to have a definitive main character, it can be Coulson. Or any other character. Just not Skye.

- Gonzalez and nuSHIELD: I really like Gonzales. Maybe it`s just because of JEO`s humongous screen presence or that gigantic moustache, but I actually buy him as a credible alternative to Coulson. Evil villains are fine, and I love HYDRA, but we needed another kind of antagonist. And it`s James Edward Olmos!

- FitzSimmons is back! I have grown quite fond of their relationship, and I was thrilled when the suspicions they were tricking Bobbi worked. On a sidenote, I was also very glad they included that scene with Mack and Fitz.

- May on nuSHIELD board: how long before she betrays them? I`m sorry, but it`s kind of obvious she would never turn on Coulson. They have one of the closest relationships of the show.

I don't think they pulled the images from the camera itself. I think Coulson picked it up just to indicate to us, the audience, that there were in fact cameras watching the grounds when everything went down. When they're watching the footage of the multiple angles it's more likely via tapping into the main hard drive (or whatever) that all the camera feeds were recording to, located (probably) within the cabin.

(if that makes sense)
That works, thanks. In my case, picking up the camera didn't work. I already knew there were cameras when I saw the camera on the ground, so I took that as a means of indicating us that they were going to retrieve footage from it - though that was unusual already.

just one thing said:
Okay, so that's what you think he's right about?
We've not seen Coulson do that, but if he had some powered people on his side, they probably would be there by choice, not by force.

just one thing said:
yeah it is a fascist thing to say in normal circumstances, Skye is more than a human being now, allegedly she may have the power to split continents. Nice character, very empathetic to others, knows her own mind, can say no to authority, but Gonlazes does not know her as that, to him she is an asset of coulsons who may have the power to split continents.
She's not that powerful. But in any case, that's not the point. Gonzales may not know her, but not knowing her is no good reason to try treat her like that and try to kill her just because she's powerful and might be dangerous to the world - she's more likely to fight to protect it. He wouldn't even listen to Bobbi when she explained it wasn't Skye's fault.

Last edited:
It's ridiculous to me how fascist NuSHIELD is considering they started because old SHIELD was not compassionate and nice enough. We are going to be the REAL SHIELD and be better and nicer and help people and stuff!

thanks for the link :up:

thats a lot of info to leave out of the ep. i hope they cover that somehow in future episodes.

i guess that makes a lot of sense now about Skye's dad and his underground surgery practice from previous episodes.

still curious about the source of his abilities though. Gordon made it sound like he wasnt Inhuman (science experiment?)

It's ridiculous to me how fascist NuSHIELD is considering they started because old SHIELD was not compassionate and nice enough. We are going to be the REAL SHIELD and be better and nicer and help people and stuff!

Already forgetting what Coulson said about Gonzales?

"I ran into him a couple of times at the Triskelion. He's not a bad guy."

"Maybe he's got a point. I was dead, after all. I shouldn't even be here."

thanks for the link :up:

thats a lot of info to leave out of the ep. i hope they cover that somehow in future episodes.

i guess that makes a lot of sense now about Skye's dad and his underground surgery practice from previous episodes.

still curious about the source of his abilities though. Gordon made it sound like he wasnt Inhuman (science experiment?)

"I wasn't strong. I couldn't protect the people I loved. So I tried to change, improve myself, with chemistry. Results were... inconsistent. Some volatility issues. But I keep working on a formula. Always tweaking."

Thought last nights episode was good. But the thing is the show can't really afford to lose any more viewers. It might all turn out brilliantly but if viewers give up watching then it wont matter.

The show has had it's problems but I think it is doing a lot better. It still makes a few mistakes here and there and still has room for improvement. But I eagerly await each week to see what happens.

Think it will get another boost from AOU and can't wait to see how that effects the show. It would be nice though if the films could reference something in the show. It could make people interested. Difficult at the moment since Coulson is meant to be dead and Shield disbanded. But would be nice.

I completely agree. I guess that's why Whedon's shows seem to have issues, huh?

Maybe they can get lucky for next season and have Jeremy Renner and Colby Smulders as regulars or at least recurring roles to bring more casual viewers in.

Nu-SHIELD is paranoid. They've seen the damage aliens and other powered people have caused...so they've become VERY hardline and feel their extreme actions are vital to keeping the earth and normal humans safe from these people with abilities.

Nu-SHIELD is paranoid. They've seen the damage aliens and other powered people have caused...so they've become VERY hardline and feel their extreme actions are vital to keeping the earth and normal humans safe from these people with abilities.

Gonzales' S.H.I.E.L.D. is extremely cautious, but they have good reasons to be.

Calling Skye a "thing" doesn't qualify as being "extremely cautious".

Right...I wouldn't say it's cautious. It's paranoia linked to a form of racism...or "powerism" I guess in the case of humans with powers.

It's clear they want all powered beings in prison or killed.

Right...I wouldn't say it's cautious. It's paranoia linked to a form of racism...or "powerism" I guess in the case of humans with powers.

It's clear they want all powered beings in prison or killed.

Even if they're not enemies, as evidenced with their attitudes towards Skye. Hell, I think Gonzales would even do his crusade against the Avengers if given the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"