Agents of SHIELD - S02E16 - "AfterLife"

Discussion in 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' started by iambranded, Mar 25, 2015.

1. just one thing Registered

Thats not an unreasonable way of reading it, could be. Not sure to view this group of inhumans as cult like. Lincon said he was studying medicine in Cincinnati i think and went to afterlife when needed, can see freedom of association in that obviously.

Coulsons plan is to use Ward to get to Dr. list to get to Gordon, think he presumes some sort of allience with Gordon and cal, maybe on his travels he will find Dr list experimenting on a rejuvenated Whitehall because he has powers and the same way we are guessing whitehall is alive coulson seeing that will guess skyes mother is alive and the penny will drop.

2. Tymminator The Main Man in Minnesota

In a old superhero rpg I used to play decades ago, they made a difference between rapid healing and regeneration.

Many characters had rapid healing, some of it almost instantaneous depending on their level, but it could leave scars and such and you could not regrow an eye or limb for example. Regeneration, (a way more expensive power) was also faster depending on your level and you could obviously regrow any body part.

In comics, there were issues in the past were Deathstroke displayed very rapid healing, but he obviously does not regenerate as he still has one eye.

Spider-man has recovered from broken limbs in 1/6 the time it takes a healthy person, and even got a slight upgrade in his basic senses (he was able to get rid of his glasses as his vision got repaired from the spider-bite to at least 20/20) but he's but he doesn't really regenerate either.

However they do it, it's not that big of a deal to me. It's obvious she is not exactly Wolverine, but she doesn't have to be.

#402 Tymminator, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  3. TheLastAvenger Registered

I thought Skye's mother being alive was a great twist, as I thought her character dying so quickly just as we're learning about her kind of sucked. I'm glad we'll get to learn more about her.

And those who have a problem with resurrection: you want a show based on comic books, then you have to accept this kind of stuff. It's one of the most well-worn tropes in the genre, and as long as it's used sparingly, I don't see a problem with it.

#403 TheLastAvenger, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  4. TheVileOne Registered

Again, that's not good enough for me. Coulson may have been brought back to life by the Tahiti drug, but he wasn't dissected from the inside out and didn't have organs harvested out of him.

Again, she was cut open and had entire organs dissected and ripped out of her. So much so that Whitehall said he took "everything." I need a better explanation than, "she got sewed up."

5. Chemistro Registered

There are different degrees of religious or ideological commitment, so I'm not sure whether "cult" is precise enough a word in this context. But that aside, you're right they have that degree of freedom of association. But that does not preclude that they might resort to either kidnapping or killing people when they think their group is at risk, even if they're not otherwise cult-like.

Also, there is some weird stuff going one when they seem to classify people as "one of us" or "not one of us" depending on whether they have certain genes, and independently of character and/or behavior. For example, iirc, Jiaying told Skye that whatever she and Raina had been before the transition, they were no longer that. But while the change is important, most of their personality seems to remain.
    We'll have to wait and see.

That might be. Or they might put a tracker in something Gordon grabs (perhaps, something List gives him, if they are at least business partners), and find Skye and her mother.

6. BeaverJuk Registered

Even though they may of took everything. Its possible they left her brain which could be the epicenter of her regenerative powers as long as the brain is in good condition she stays Alive.

7. Chemistro Registered

I think Coulson and the elders might end up reaching some kind of understanding, which would avoid a serious confrontation and would perhaps be beneficial for both sides - at least, a non-aggression pact might be of use.
    So, perhaps rampaging is not necessary. Maybe some minor skirmishes until they reach some deal.
    On the other hand, I wonder whether Ultron will find them and attack them.

8. TheVileOne Registered

We shall see. But how do we know he didn't operate on her brain?

9. Humbugged Registered

If Coulson and his team put themselves in the way of HYDRA(or even ULTRON) to save Afterlife there is more likely to come to an accomidation.

And this is what Coulson does .He is always the guy leading the welcome wagon.And he has that GH running round his system.

Does Gonzalez think that Phil is raising another Avengers team? They did make their move the minute that they realized that he had another Gifted in his ranks.

10. Dr. Evil Registered

There are rumors of an appearance by

[​IMG]

so I wonder what role he would play if he does show up.

11. DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs Registered

12. DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs Registered

Which is exactly why Coulson and co use icers and most shows that are crime dramas put the bad guys behind bars. What's your point?

13. Dr. Evil Registered

14. WhiteWalker Registered

He would be Isaac.

15. justme Registered

I just rewatched the episode. I can not make screen shots but look again at the scene in Raina room and when Skye's mother visits Cal. In the Raina scene the scars are not that pronounced. They are much more pronounced and seem like they are more open. I wonder if her regeneration or healing is not completely up to the task of repairing her body. Remember when Gordon was first introduced that she said she would not last forever. I think her healing was part reconstruction by Calvin and then restoration achieved by the acupuncture method used on Skye. I have a feeling she is going to die soon.

16. Lilbaz Registered

Interesting thoughts and entirely possible. It's been over 20 years since Whitehall did that to her though. It would be a bit of a coincidence that she was a bout to die just as Skye meets her. Although these coincidences happen all the time in films and tv shows.

17. hopeless Registered

You know I actually thought this means Whitehall is very, very dead.

I assumed Cal took Whitehall's body with him and restored the stolen organs to his wife to allow her to fully recover so its not that she still has scars back from when Cal found her remains and arranged transplants whilst keeping her alive but that she has only recently recovered enough to be walking around.

That would explain why she still has the scars wouldn't it?

18. Lilbaz Registered

Where has her body been for 20 years? That is a little bit of a sick thought and makes Cal even more nuts. I like it.

19. reddog271 Registered

so basically you just want to complain. just because you don't agree with the writing doesn't make it weak.

20. ctsketch Registered

yes..but that doesn't stop the shows from talking about murder or showing murders etc.. and talking about illegal things and doing illegal things

so what's wrong with talking about a drug that is illegal?

21. just one thing Registered

brilliant. That could be it.

22. gerrym51 Registered

it's a tv show -lol

23. Steelsheen Head Geek of Nerdtopia

ok just got caught up...

that is one fantastic episode! :D just when i thought they couldnt top the last ep, they do so in the next ep.

thrilled to see Deathlok and Raina again. even more thrilled to see how Coulson was able to pull a Loki with the false imagery. i wonder if Jane Foster had any input with that?

but my most wtf moment is seeing Skye's mom :shock like how??? aint she butchered up and left for dead? is she even really her mom or some other shape shifting Inhuman?

#423 Steelsheen, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  24. Uskok MCU fan

25. ajmccarrell Greg Kinnear as Spiderman

Except that Captain Stubing is Murray Slaughter. :o