Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - LEVEL 11 - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will something that happens in a television series ever affect a movie the way the opposite happens (even to the extent of a character appearance)?

Agent Hand did tell Coulson that Fury was waiting for him at the Triskelion which is where we find him at the start of TWS and she told Sitwell that Fury wanted him on the Lemurian Star which is also where he was found at the start of the movie.

That's about it so far, I think, which is really too bad.

There's a chance that the events of this week's episode directly feeds the opening sequence in AoU.

Yeah I'm hoping that the first scene in AOU is the scene that follows the last scene of the upcoming episode of Agents of SHIELD. Or that the events of this episode are happening at the same time as the opening sequence of AOU.

Agent Hand did tell Coulson that Fury was waiting for him at the Triskelion which is where we find him at the start of TWS and she told Sitwell that Fury wanted him on the Lemurian Star which is also where he was found at the start of the movie.

That's about it so far, I think, which is really too bad.

Both of which were added to the show because they had access to the script for the movie. None of which was the movie in any way writing or filming a single word or image because of something on television.

Don't get me wrong, I think Agents of SHIELD is doing a wonderful job tying into the movies. But the movies don't acknowledge the TV show's existence.

Both of which were added to the show because they had access to the script for the movie. None of which was the movie in any way writing or filming a single word or image because of something on television.

Don't get me wrong, I think Agents of SHIELD is doing a wonderful job tying into the movies. But the movies don't acknowledge the TV show's existence.

IMO, it is a bogus and unnecessary distinction. It shows poor planning. :loco:

Yeah I'm hoping that the first scene in AOU is the scene that follows the last scene of the upcoming episode of Agents of SHIELD. Or that the events of this episode are happening at the same time as the opening sequence of AOU.

I'm still expecting the episode to end with an Avengers logo, followed by a brief bit of the first scene from AoU.

Because the series is clearly drawn from the movies. The series doesn't consider itself separate. The question is whether the movies will ever consider themselves part of the same thing. Will something that happens in a television series ever affect a movie the way the opposite happens (even to the extent of a character appearance)?

I'll give a concrete example. Lady Sif's first appearance had a great moment at the end where she revealed that Odin wanted her to bring Lorelei back to Asgard to serve as a soldier. People who saw The Dark World know that Odin was probably really Loki and he was doing it for his own nefarious purposes. But is that ever going to matter? Will Thor: Ragnorok have Lorelei on Asgard? Does Loki have a plan for her?

Mike, you make some pretty valid points, but consider (not unlike Daredevil's costume) it is a work in progress. Meaning consider where we were at the begginning of Season 1 with the extemis virus and the clean up from Thor and Malekith being the biggest connections. Then at the end of Season 1 and throughout Season 2 we have more world building connections being made like the fall of SHIELD in an effort to erradicate Hydra and the introduction of the Inhumans a connection that is made for a movie that is so far away that most of us still can't believe Marvel had the foresight to do something as amazing as start their world building this far in advance of the movie. So, what I guess I am saying is that this show has improved greatly from when it started in how its connections are made with the movies and I fully believe that as the show continues to move forward that the connections will become even better to the point where the movies soon will begin acknowledging things within the series. Now I could be totally wrong, but once again thinking about how far the show has come aready I don't find it hard to believe they will get this necessary extra step worked out for a more cohesive universe.

Surfer

The problem isn't with the quality of the show, though. I agree it's made great strides. The problem is one of culture. There are separate movie and television teams running things. The television team knows it has to draw from the movies to be successful because the movies are far more popular. But the movie people don't have to and, apparently, don't really care.

Now I agree that maybe things will change, but I don't see any reason to believe that so far. There's been nothing in the movies to suggest that. The closest we got is Kevin Feige had some mild involvement in Agent Carter that hopefully showed him that the TV shows are a useful tool.

I'm honestly okay with the TV shows having a minimal affect on the movies. Especially if they tie-in before the movies are even released, like in the case of Winter Soldier where Hydra was built up for the entire season. Using this method, they can actually give the illusion that the events in the film are a direct result of the conflicts in SHIELD, which is what I expect they'll do in the case of Civil War.

I would like to see some TV character pop up in the films eventually, but only if they would fit in naturally. And I'll be disappointed if Afterlife isn't even given a brief reference in the Inhumans movie. But aside from that, there's not a lot of crossovers I think are really important.

The problem isn't with the quality of the show, though. I agree it's made great strides. The problem is one of culture. There are separate movie and television teams running things. The television team knows it has to draw from the movies to be successful because the movies are far more popular. But the movie people don't have to and, apparently, don't really care.

Now I agree that maybe things will change, but I don't see any reason to believe that so far. There's been nothing in the movies to suggest that. The closest we got is Kevin Feige had some mild involvement in Agent Carter that hopefully showed him that the TV shows are a useful tool.

saw aou the other night,

a few loose ends in the movies that the tv show could play with, hawkeye talking to somebody on a mobile, tony making rhetorical comments about who hawkeye and maria really workfor. Furry turning up with a helicarrier, the final scene. The tv show has a bit to play with in things in the movie that just sort of happen and if aos where to do it from a perception point of view for people who watch both a case could be made that its all connected, if it happens.

But its not overt, a few soft moments where that ninja running around hells kitchen could have been mentioned or how fortunate we where that night all those hydra lads took each other out, or a hydra opperative could have thrown a splinter bomb, didn't happen.

I'm honestly okay with the TV shows having a minimal affect on the movies. Especially if they tie-in before the movies are even released, like in the case of Winter Soldier where Hydra was built up for the entire season. Using this method, they can actually give the illusion that the events in the film are a direct result of the conflicts in SHIELD, which is what I expect they'll do in the case of Civil War.

I would like to see some TV character pop up in the films eventually, but only if they would fit in naturally. And I'll be disappointed if Afterlife isn't even given a brief reference in the Inhumans movie. But aside from that, there's not a lot of crossovers I think are really important.

I'd be overjoyed if Coulson's entire team were featured in the movies, however, I think since Coulson came from the movies themselves and has served an important and endearing function, he's the one that most deserves to be there. He is an Avenger, after all, according to Fury. It's only natural that he'd be there with them.

That's why Joss' recent statement feels like a bit of a punch in the gut.

I haven't seen the movie yet of course but if he's actually not there, he'll definitely be missed, at least by me and I imagine many others.

Even if Coulson just appeared in a humorous mid-credits/post-credits stinger that's independent of the main film plot, I'd be happy.

I'd be overjoyed if Coulson's entire team were featured in the movies, however, I think since Coulson came from the movies themselves and has served an important and endearing function, he's the one that most deserves to be there. He is an Avenger, after all, according to Fury. It's only natural that he'd be there with them.

That's why Joss' recent statement feels like a bit of a punch in the gut.

I haven't seen the movie yet of course but if he's actually not there, he'll definitely be missed, at least by me and I imagine many others.

Joss's comments feel extra odd considering he and his family created the show and are the show runners for it... you know.. starring coulson

Not digging Skye hanging out with her maniacal Chandler Bing daddy in this weeks ep, the sooner he is offed the better. It's also not a surprise they are setting her up for some romance with the Inhuman from Home & Away, the classic falling on top of him moment was just the start lol.

I like how cautious May is playing things, like she's genuinely unsure which side of the S.H.I.E.L.D line she should be standing on despite her personal loyalty to Coulson.

It was great to see Ward back involved, he's become a fantastic character and I loved seeing him and Coulson teaming up.

Not digging Skye hanging out with her maniacal Chandler Bing daddy in this weeks ep, the sooner he is offed the better..

Really? That was one if my favorite parts, as well as most of the fandom's. It would be better for you, but not for then majority. Majority wins

Really? That was one if my favorite parts, as well as most of the fandom's. It would be better for you, but not for then majority. Majority wins

He's terrible, completely out of sync with the rest of the show and straight from the TLJ school of how to act in a comic book adaption.

Finally back to the AoS boards after my Ultron blackout :D

Hoping this week's ep is a good set-up for AoU, the show has felt a bit stalled until last week. Dunno about you guys, but pretty bored of NuSHIELD now!

The events of the episode are happening (shortly) before the events of AoU because Dr. List
gets killed by Iron Man in AoU

He's terrible, completely out of sync with the rest of the show and straight from the TLJ school of how to act in a comic book adaption.

I like him. He's interesting. Which is more than can be said of quite a few characters on the show.

The events of the episode are happening (shortly) before the events of AoU because Dr. List
gets killed by Iron Man in AoU

My guess is that Dr. List escapes capture from SHIELD, but gets traced to where the Avengers find him in AoU thanks to Hill finding a way to get the intel on List's whereabouts.

Remember that the film was written over a year ago. The tv show script is written maybe a few weeks before filming. It is very difficult for a film director to make plans for the tv show.
They might want to use characters but the tv side probably wont know if those characters will still be alive when the film comes out let alone where they are or in what situation. The disparity could be more damaging to the tv show than what they are doing now. The director of the film wont be beholden to it.
The way it is, is not perfect. But it does work.

Not digging Skye hanging out with her maniacal Chandler Bing daddy in this weeks ep, the sooner he is offed the better. It's also not a surprise they are setting her up for some romance with the Inhuman from Home & Away, the classic falling on top of him moment was just the start lol.

I like how cautious May is playing things, like she's genuinely unsure which side of the S.H.I.E.L.D line she should be standing on despite her personal loyalty to Coulson.

It was great to see Ward back involved, he's become a fantastic character and I loved seeing him and Coulson teaming up.

yeah, lets uh, not go and kill off Mr. Hyde... especially before his character fully evolves to the one we know....

I have attempted to flesh out "when" Daredevil takes place. Not sure if anyone on here has viewed it, but here's what I think the order is. Please let me know what you think:

• Daredevil (Season One)
o Into The Ring
o Cut Man
• Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Season Two)
o Shadows
o Heavy is the Head
• Daredevil (Season One)
o Rabbit In a Snow Storm
• Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Season Two)
o Making Friends and Influencing People
o Face My Enemy
• Daredevil (Season One)