BvS All Things Batman v Superman: An Open Discussion (TAG SPOILERS) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course this forum is "US-centric" and many people don't see the whole picture.
Many are describing BvS as a failure comparable to Batman and Robin (ridiculous), but if you take a look to the ww chart

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=batman.htm

BvS will be overseas the 2nd best box office result ever for a DC movie, better than The Dark Knight, which is pretty impressive.

Eh, not really. BvS has kept pace with The Dark Knight overseas because of two factors: ticket price inflation over the past eight years, and China. BvS has earned $94 million there to date, while I don't believe Dark Knight was ever released in China.

Last edited:
BvS has kept pace with a movie that came out eight years ago, with an international market that was far smaller, with no 3D or the huge Chinese market.

Ouch.

Those people were idiots, joke's on them and now they are nowhere to be found...Funny how that works.

But yeah, it is sad that BvS didn't turn out great.

That's what happens when you gamble for Zack Snyder.

Poor souls.

Eh, not really. BvS has kept pace with The Dark Knight overseas because of too factors: ticket price inflation over the past eight years, and China. BvS has earned $94 million there to date, while I don't believe Dark Knight was ever released in China.

Three factors even-- Inflation, China, and 3D.

I'm skeptical of WB at this point. Snyder is just one of the problems. Not the only problem.

I tried to trust their creative team but they have failed at every level in BvS. Superman, Batman, Lex, Lois, Doomsday, Daily Planet, Metropolis & Gotham etc. So many things don't work well.

I'm skeptical of WB at this point. Snyder is just one of the problems. Not the only problem.

I tried to trust their creative team but they have failed at every level in BvS. Superman, Batman, Lex, Lois, Doomsday, Daily Planet, Metropolis & Gotham etc. So many things don't work well.

Really? Daily Planet, Metropolis and Gotham are not issues. The others are very arguable as well.

Metropolis looked bland as dry paint. Gotham....do we even get a wide shot of it?

Metropolis looked bland as dry paint. Gotham....do we even get a wide shot of it?

Granted they didn't exactly stand out but that, at least in my eyes, mean it automatically is a con. Metropolis stood out more in MoS and Gotham I'm sure will shine in the Batman movie. The cities didn't really need to stand out here. Gotham definitely looked a lot worse than Metropolis and that's the only distinction I really needed.

Really? Daily Planet, Metropolis and Gotham are not issues. The others are very arguable as well.

I would much rather Se7en/Blade Runner/kinda gothic (not Burton level) type of depressing Gotham versus bright futuristic Metropolis. What's the point of fictional cities if they are gonna look like any other metropol?

Daily planet scenes didn't have any charm. It was like 30 seconds anyway.

I guess Snyder wanted to preserve Nolan's "it looks just like a generic city" influence. God knows why.

China might not be much help next time, BvS had the highest second weekend drop of a western film there ever.

The dialogue was too complex to aptly translate to Mandarin. The themes were too complex.

Only explanation.

We got a better idea of each city in that set of Turkish Airlines commercials.

China might not be much help next time, BvS had the highest second weekend drop of a western film there ever.

Not enough action to keep them interested. They are looking for action from Hollywood movies. They got their movies to cover everything else..

The cities, as well as the characters are opposites. They failed majorly on both of those notions, which is a foundation. And, we all know what a house looks like with a ****** foundation.

Batman Hush perfectly conveyed that with less than the first 3-4 pages when Bruce went to Metropolis.

I'm probably in the minority, but I hate when reviewers mention competing properties in their reviews like that. Even if the rest of the review is great, it always make it seem like there's a fanboy agenda in there. It seems like they're more focused on fanboy pride and bragging than the review itself. I'd rather they just keep things on the movie being reviewed.

Any critic that mentions other movies in their reviews is automatically invalid to me. I understand these are all CBM movies, but then why don't they do this for everything? "The tornado in Wizard of Oz was more powerful than the tornado in Twister. It sent them to another land. Twister = 1.5/10".

It's the cool thing to compare in reviews these days for some reason. Like if you think BvS sucks, great, write that in the BvS review.

when-harry-met-sally.gif

This is pretty much where i'm at as well. Frankly, i'm skeptical WB understands exactly why the film has faced so much criticism and what is turning people off. I suspect they think the issue is only how light or dark the film was as opposed to the broader and more in-depth criticisms of the film.

I guess the question is, is this film just an example of the growing pains and a rocky start to the DCCU, or is this the quality we can expect going forward.

Any critic that mentions other movies in their reviews is automatically invalid to me. I understand these are all CBM movies, but then why don't they do this for everything? "The tornado in Wizard of Oz was more powerful than the tornado in Twister. It sent them to another land. Twister = 1.5/10".

It's the cool thing to compare in reviews these days for some reason. Like if you think BvS sucks, great, write that in the BvS review.

It's pretty unavoidable that it happens when we have two superhero movies, within roughly a month from each other, that deal with heroes coming into conflict with each other. Well, you could even say that we have three within the span of roughly two months and Apocalypse will be compared to the other two as well.

Your example is so hyperbolic in both time span and comparison that it loses it's point.

Reviews are just help for consumers and making comparisons can make it easier for the consumer to understand the message. I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as that's not all they are saying of course.

Not enough action to keep them interested. They are looking for action from Hollywood movies. They got their movies to cover everything else..

Actually it believed that the problem was that the tone was darker than is prefered by the Chinese market.

You still shouldn't compare them. Not when one film is clearly going for something else.

That's one the criticisms from critics that really pissed me off, some act like DC is going for the same thing Marvel is and missing and not even looking at the possibility that they are going completely for there own thing.

I guess the question is, is this film just an example of the growing pains and a rocky start to the DCCU, or is this the quality we can expect going forward.

My guess? It will continue to vary by movie and director. From what I've seen so far, Suicide Squad feels like a hit. Wonder Woman...at this point who knows? JL? Well, it's Snyder and I doubt he's going to change now, you know? So expect another critically panned, fan-divisive entry there. Aquaman? The director was quick to say it would be lighter than BvS, but at least to me the tatted-up, bad*** character we've seen so far doesn't scream "fun". But like WW, who knows?

WB DC films are like a box of chocolates...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"