All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - Part 75

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Avengers was a much better overall film. I really loved it.

I dont think every movie after ID4 is a copy with aliens. I'm saying it was the way it was presented. I know there is going to be some stuff that is similar in general but when you see it, you will get what I'm saying.

From what's been said so far, the general consensus is that the action and scope of this film surpasses The Avengers.

I think that was obvious from the trailers/TV spots.

No couple of blocks radius of action around here. :hehe:

Sorry, Ashley. Around these parts you are not allowed to have your own opinion. Your opinion must be 100% positive or people will be afraid that their own opinion won't be considered valid and all the months/years of excitement will have been worthwhile. Oh, and you have to make sure the film makes a bunch of money as if you have a personal and/or business stake in the film's success. That way the score at Rotten Tomatoes and box office return makes the film look really good. And anyone who hates it or has anything negative to say will look like a fool and their opinion will be invalid.

That's how the world works around here...
---------

Obviously that's the case. You know these movies are made for people who don't read the comics as well, right? So maybe some of my opinions might be wrong because I am not a comic reader, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to them.

I'm not sure we should say a review is stupid. we may not agree with the person when we've seen the movie, we may even consider her arguments to be weak, but stupid is, imo, too strong a word.

And you're obviously allowed to your thoughts and opinions. Not knocking you for that.

To Power Cosmic or anyone else who has seen the movie:

Does the movie explain the origin of Superman's powers at all? Do all Kryptionians have super powers on their home planet as well as other areas of the universe, or is it only because of the Earth's yellow sun? Thus, he is only a "Superman" on Earth, or a planet with a yellow sun?

Does the movie attempt to explain the technicalities of his powers? Example: is it an advanced form of telekinesis, genetics, superior evolution? Is he more "special" than other's of his race because he was born freely?

In the trailer(s) before we see him take flight - the rocks surrounding his hands begin to swirl, why?

As Louis is about to say S....... in the interrogation room, the speaker cuts out. Is that Supes doing that with telekinesis?

As Ma Kent tells young Clark to focus in on her voice in the earlier trailers, is that his super-hearing, or telepathy?

Thanks in advance!

So maybe some of my opinions might be wrong because I am not a comic reader, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to them.

You stated that they weren't true to the source material, even though you admit to not reading the books. That seems contradictory to me.

That's a tired argument - Informed opinions, even if they're different are completely acceptable to most.

...someone will inevitably say that Snyder ripped off the other Superman stories and ideas because Superman has this big S on his chest. No NEW ideas?

Surprised she did not say it reminded her of the Avengers alien attack... even just the trailers look that way.

As long as it is done well... the devil is in the details...and execution.

And what does great mean...

They said ET was the greatest movie of ALL TIME. Greatest? All time?

levels and salt...levels and salt.

I think Avengers was a much better overall film. I really loved it.

I dont think every movie after ID4 is a copy with aliens. I'm saying it was the way it was presented. I know there is going to be some stuff that is similar in general but when you see it, you will get what I'm saying.

Did you recognize that the final fight scene of Avengers was eerily familiar to the end of Transformers 3?

The Anti-Opinion Straw Man returns yet again. And again. And again.

I don't really get all this love for the avengers tbh. The trailers from mos alone are more exciting than anything I saw in the avengers. It was just very...meh imo. I don't think it would take much at all for mos to top it.

Came in to see what's up...

flame-war.gif

The acting was JUST okay. Russell Crow was awesome, but come on, the rest was just average.

This doesn't look average to me:

[YT]Cnp5ibPaJ2c[/YT]

xmhF8yn.gif

But each to their own. I know people who think Keanu Reeves should be Jor-El because Russell Crowe is a bad actor (and no I'm not kidding). So far I've heard only praises for acting so I'm confident there are some amazing performances in there.

You stated that they weren't true to the source material, even though you admit to not reading the books. That seems contradictory to me.

Yep. I don't have a problem with someone not being a comic book reader... most of the people who see the film aren't. So their opinions matter. But to complain that a movie veers to far off the source material when you apparently haven't read it doesn't make any sense to me.

This sort of reminds me when people complained about Batman Begins because "some bum" killed his parents and not the Joker, lol.

Really? It's too damn early for this thread to get this hot!
7371%20-%20Abandon_thread%20Dean_Ambrose%20Raw%20Roman_Reigns%20Seth_Rollins%20The_Shield%20autoplay_gif%20cm_punk%20gif%20macro%20running%20wwe.gif

Came in to see what's up...

flame-war.gif

:funny::lmao:

That's how it's going to be for any major geek-related film near the opening weekend. So next time, you should expect it.

Sorry, Ashley. Around these parts you are not allowed to have your own opinion. Your opinion must be 100% positive or people will be afraid that their own opinion won't be considered valid and all the months/years of excitement will have been worthwhile. Oh, and you have to make sure the film makes a bunch of money as if you have a personal and/or business stake in the film's success. That way the score at Rotten Tomatoes and box office return makes the film look really good. And anyone who hates it or has anything negative to say will look like a fool and their opinion will be invalid.

That's how the world works around here...
---------

Obviously that's the case. You know these movies are made for people who don't read the comics as well, right? So maybe some of my opinions might be wrong because I am not a comic reader, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to them.

^^

This is true that Snyder had to consider the film from a perspective that not everyone would know the source material and the film must stand on it's own for a lot of people... Your opinion is viable and seems it worked on some levels for you better than others.

I'm sure we will get reviews from traditionalists that say the missing trunks ruined the film for them...

In my defense ... when I asked someone who read the comics if this followed the comics because I was confused from what I do know about the source material, and they said "No" that is where I got that from.

Acting is so subjective - I really can't question her opinion there since I see Synder as more visual than craft...and I'm ok with average acting if everything else is in place.

In my defense ... when I asked someone who read the comics if this followed the comics because I was confused from what I do know about the source material, and they said "No" that is where I got that from.

Fair enough. I haven't ever read any Superman comics either, but I don't anticipate criticizing it on the grounds that it betrayed the source material. I'll judge it as a movie. Does it tell a good story? Is the action good? I expect certain cliches in the genre. It is an inherently flawed genre, so there are a lot of limits to what you can do from a storytelling and thematic standpoint. Not expecting a Godfather type film, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"