All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - Part 84

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from my screening. I'm gonna put everything in spoilers cause I'm not sure what the rules are currently...

Initial feelings. Awesome. Truly ******* spectacular on a visual level.
The story however did get lost at times and it really would have benefited from a small character scene between Cavill and Costner rather than the one's we got. It was small character moments that I missed, it's those moments which are my favourite in Avengers and The Dark Knight Trilogy.

I know people were moved and it was wonderfully shot but Pa Kent's death didn't move me. I think I was more surprised than anything else that it was happening as I thought there would at least be a few more scenes with him.

I was also surprised at how fast Kal-El got the suit on. When those doors opened to reveal Superman I was just like "whaa? Already?" I was hoping we were getting a bit more before hand from Kal's past.

The beginning 20 minutes were friggin awesome. I have no idea where the "Bad B movie" comments came from. The effects were stunning and the music was brilliant. In fact Hans Zimmer's score may have been the best thing about the film. Truly spectacular during the action.

The action was stunning. A million miles away from the sigh-fest of Iron Man 3 and was unlike anything I had ever seen on a cinema screen. The final throwdown with Zod was very unexpected. I was expecting them to just punch eachother into buildings not to be FLYING as well! The smallville battle was great as well but was a lot smaller than some comments on here led me to believe.

One of the main issues for me that it did fall in to generic territory with Zod's plan to make Earth into Krypton. It was just something I've seen in recent blockbusters (transformers, amazing Spider-Man) as well as the big doomsday device (TDKR, however this doesn't bother me as much). I just thought the whole "you have 24 hours or this world suffers the consequences" was more than enough to carry the films ending. However, that obviously would mean previous events in the film would change.

One thing I didn't get though was why the ship split in half... this may just have been me but the only thing I didn't get was what the second ship (the one where Zod and Jor-El talk with Superman fighting outside) was doing... that just flew over my head.

Anyway the film was a lot to take in and I likely didn't cover everything I wanted here (oh the acting was all Stellar, especially from Cavill) but overall a solid blockbuster that could have done with a little more slower, character moments. A Directors Cut could only benefit the film and I really hope one comes out! I also feel that the multiple issues I had could be ironed out with a sequel.

The ending was great as well. A great platform film for sequels. Same level as Avengers for me.

I still don't get why some are complaining about Zod's ending.. as far as I am concerned Superman killed all 3 in Superman II by throwing them down to wherever that was. Only difference is this one was more shocking and gruesome.. which made it more awesome and powerful. To whoever it was saying Zod could have got out of the headlock, I am sure he can but at the same time that is not a definite plus like someone else said maybe Zod pretty much gave up at that stage and was not afraid of what would happen to him.

This film does not deserve all the bad reviews. Only problem is that the film was not long enough to have screen time to all characters to develop. If they did a 2 1/2 hour film about superman's landing on earth, krypton and growing up, how his earth parents showed him how to be etc.. that alone could fill those two hours.. but then critics and fans would complain about the lack of action or an equal to superman. What they did here is mix all that in a 2 1/2 hour film and it was never going to satisfy everyone. Even if they cut 20 minutes from the action scenes and instead used them for character build up it still won't be enough and we all know this.

The biggest mistake the director did is try to satisfy all the complaints from previous films about the lack of action and a villain that could challenge Superman cause lets be honest, all the Lex Luthors in the previous superman films have been crap. Lets not mention superman 3 and 4 villains as well.

It seems like critics and who ever is giving this movie a bad review, would want a 5 hour or so film to explain every little detail to superman's actions and that was never going to happen. If that is what you want, watch Smallville.

I agree 100%.
I did wtf when he snapped his neck. Well before that because I seen it coming.

When superman woke up on zods ship, dude should have went to town, RICK JAMES STYLE.

I agree 100%.
[BLACKOUT]I did wtf when he snapped his neck. [/BLACKOUT]Well before that because I seen it coming.

For the majority of the audience that isn't superman fans, I'm wondering how this is going to play out. I mean if it happened ina Bourne film, given the situation presented, pretty sure it wouldn't garner a second thought. But it is superman after all.

If I were to rank the Superman films I'd rank them

1. Man of Steel 9.5/10
2. Superman The Movie 9/10
3. Superman II - Richard Donner Cut 8/10
4. Superman II - Theatrical 7.5/10
5. Superman III 7/10
6. Superman Returns 7/10
7. Superman IV: The Quest For Peace 3/10

God a UK cinema is boring. Everyone walks in in silence. Few murmurs through trailers. Films starts. Film ends. Everyone quietly walks out.

I would love an active cinema to go to!

God a UK cinema is boring. Everyone walks in in silence. Few murmurs through trailers. Films starts. Film ends. Everyone quietly walks out.

I would love an active cinema to go to!
Harlem is maybe the best for this.

There was an audible collective gasp when Zod was defeated.

I was surprised because I didnt think the GA would really care, but it seemed to have taken them aback too.

guys, how bad is the "shaky cam?"

are we talking Blair Witch/Cloverfield level of shaky cam??

is it present throughout the entire film??

sometimes that can disorient me, especially if I'm eating something while watching it.

Jor-El had a suit of armor and could fight pretty darn well. He and Zod had a past. Is it that hard to figure out that he was probably a soldier at some point prior to being what he was when we join the film?

As for Braniac not being hinted at...Braniac hasn't always been portrayed as being of Kryptonian origin. He's also portrayed as being from Colu.

Is.... is that good????

Sorry box office numbers aren't my strong point when it comes to individual days.
It's better than any of the Spider-Man movies, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, any of the X-Men movies and Batman Begins. Basically it's the best CBM opening night other than Avengers, TDK, TDKR and IM3 -- all of them being established franchises of course.

shaky cam didn't bother me at all or my friend...hoping to go see it again tonight after I go get a belly full of Chinese food!

sometimes that can disorient me, especially if I'm eating something while watching it.
It's not anything near BW/Cloverfield level. It was only noticeable in the Krypton council meeting to me. After that I don't think I ever realized it again. You can tell it's handheld in some areas, but that was the only place it felt "shaky" to me.

Seeing it a 4th time tonight with my gf at the alamo draft house . Will be bringing my flask lol.

Also, when Clark found and entered the scout ship, we see a dead Kryptonian in a pod and then an open pod that someone escaped. That means someone else is out there...Kara, right?

How about ...

doomsday!!!

At times it is noticeable but during the action scenes it really works IMO. It really gives the feeling that these heroes are superheroes it emphasizes the speed.

Others it can be annoying but I grew into it. At the beginning you do think it may be a bit too much but I got used to it.

Last edited:
Next time I see it I won't be so focused on looking for Wayne's satellite :woot:

.. though I wonder what Wayne's reaction would have been.

?

GQfeature1v.jpg

Could the "distress beacon" picked up from Zod and crew be from the person in that missing pod? Could be a neat way to tie the films together I also don't remember Clark doing anything that be considered setting off a distress beacon, especially seeing as he put the 'S' into the hole.

Sorry I'm not good on the Superman terminology :D

thanks, guys.

hopefully the shaky cam won't bother me too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"