All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - Part 90

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the "Release the World Engine." line was fine. Did people have a problem with it because they had to immediately think of "Release the Kraken."?

It was just weird. I almost did a double take initially I just couldn't believe it made its way into the film. The Krypton stuff while very sci-fi was serious, then later the film carried on being serious with some almost art-house esque shots. It was very centred on this damaged character and just before the line it got very creepy with Zod's message to Earth, Superman on Skulls etc. Heck even the Smallville battle was carried out in a serious tone with "You think You can threaten my mother?", the General saying he's not our enemy. Superman consoling his mother after the fight, the church scene.

Then it came to "RELEASE THE WORLD ENGINE" and then I just thought "Okay we are in pure comic book territory now" from that point onwards the dialogue just seemed to take a U-Turn into ultra cliche, comic book dialogue. It may have been like that all the way through but it became more noticeable after that point personally.

"Zod stop", "NEVER".
"Either you die or I do"
"I will stop you!"

The worst bit though for me was Hamilton's exposition of the terraforming. The whole film stops, Hamilton explains something and the woman literally says "What's that" then Hamilton explains it again but simpler.

I am the opposite .
I understand why people feel the way they do about the Zod line,The World Engine" is a corny and Cheesy thing to call a machine.

I see nobody complain about the Phantom Zone. Why not describe it as what it is? A black hole prison. The World Engine is a machine, that Terraforms Planets into habitable worlds. Short, World Engine. It's like we ran out of valid complaints, and are now looking for other things to complain about.

It was just weird. I almost did a double take initially I just couldn't believe it made its way into the film. The Krypton stuff while very sci-fi was serious, then later the film carried on being serious with some almost art-house esque shots. It was very centred on this damaged character and just before the line it got very creepy with Zod's message to Earth, Superman on Skulls etc. Heck even the Smallville battle was carried out in a serious tone with "You think You can threaten my mother?", the General saying he's not our enemy. Superman consoling his mother after the fight, the church scene.

Then it came to "RELEASE THE WORLD ENGINE" and then I just thought "Okay we are in pure comic book territory now" from that point onwards the dialogue just seemed to take a U-Turn into ultra cliche, comic book dialogue. It may have been like that all the way through but it became more noticeable after that point personally.

"Zod stop", "NEVER".
"Either you die or I do"
"I will stop you!"

The worst bit though for me was Hamilton's exposition of the terraforming. The whole film stops, Hamilton explains something and the woman literally says "What's that" then Hamilton explains it again but simpler.

I like the way Superman says "I'm gonna stop you"- so that gets a pass from me.
The you die or I do felt ham-fisted. I think that was pretty self-evident once the Codex was found to be implanted in Superman.

I see nobody complain about the Phantom Zone. Why not describe it as what it is? A black hole prison. The World Engine is a machine, that Terraforms Planets into habitable worlds. Short, World Engine. It's like we ran out of valid complaints, and are now looking for other things to complain about.
Speaking only for myself
I was really talking about Cheesy Lines in genre movies that relate to scientific
devices and their effects "Genesis Wave "as another example .
I was just poking fun at the practice in movies in general.
I was not attacking MOS.

"Zod stop", "NEVER".
"Either you die or I do"
"I will stop you!"

Hey, it's better than calling it a spider.

The you die or I do felt ham-fisted. I think that was pretty self-evident once the Codex was found to be implanted in Superman.
It was interesting that Zod gave up on reviving Krypton so easily.
After he killed Kal El he could still try to find a scientist to remove The Codex.
He could even declare a Ceasefire with Earth if our scientists removed The Codex from Supermans body .

After he killed Kal El he could still try to find a scientist to remove The Codex.
He could even declare a Ceasefire with Earth if our scientists removed The Codex from Supermans body .

My question is, of all planets, why choose Earth? Couldn't they just have taken Kal and gone to another planet like Mars?

"You. I'll stop attacking you if you find me a scientist capable of drawing the Codex from a being your people have absolutely no understanding of whatsoever. However, once you find it and figure out how to rebuild my Genesis Chamber and World Engine, you're all screwed again. But hey, you guys get like an extra couple months or so. Get on it. Now where is this Carl's Jr. I've heard so much about?"

True. The line didn't bother but it is something typical to be said in CBMs.

But the you die or i do was very unnecessary. The friggin action and Zod's previous speech spelled that out.

Hey, it's better than calling it a spider.
:woot::woot:

So my mate says, wanna watch Man of Steel so I rush to his only to find we aren't going to the cinema to see it, tut tut. I screamed Heresy :-)cwink:) and then watched it with him :oldrazz:

Gotta say 3rd time was even better than the second tine, this is without a doubt in my opinion the greatest comic book movie of all-time. Can't wait to see it again :woot:

Hey, the last twenty minutes or so I've been trying to find the Zod thread, but I've got no luck, something happen there?

The world engine was kind of a lame name but its not important, not sure what else they would have called it. Also it did what it said on the tin.

"You. I'll stop attacking you if you find me a scientist capable of drawing the Codex from a being your people have absolutely no understanding of whatsoever. However, once you find it and figure out how to rebuild my Genesis Chamber and World Engine, you're all screwed again. But hey, you guys get like an extra couple months or so. Get on it. Now where is this Carl's Jr. I've heard so much about?"
Well project Cadmus might have been able to help,
But now you have me thinking about Carl'sJr!

Honestly I didn't realize how corny the line was till now, but it never bothered me in my three viewings.

The World Engine is a machine, that Terraforms Planets into habitable worlds. Short, World Engine. It's like we ran out of valid complaints, and are now looking for other things to complain about.

To me, it's the age old double edged sword of the message board.....people complain that the Kryptonians speak English, then they complain that the Kryptonians don't call something by the name the Earthlings would use.

Why is it wrong for them to call it a world engine....because that is not what is commonly used in our sci fi stories for it? They could have called it a frazzelator for all I cared....they called it by it's Kryptonian name.

I have decent grasp of science fact....99% of the movies I have watched have been off from science fact in some way or another...but if it is an entertaining movie I tend to over look it. Saying a human can survive in outer space with no protective suit...I question that.....having an alien call a device a different name from what I would call it....I can live with.

Ha ha :up: it's getting unbearable on here lately, people are just digging and going round in circles

Wow...I still don't find the World Engine line cheesy.

I'd love to know what other people would have called it :woot:

I heard it referred to in a podcast as the Terraformer lol

I have to assume that being geneticlly bred to be a warrior....he missed all the political and ambassadorial classes.

My question is, of all planets, why choose Earth? Couldn't they just have taken Kal and gone to another planet like Mars?
I guess they could have...but we don't know how insane Zod was acting on a daily basis by then after wandering the galaxy for 33 years looking for the codex. Sometimes you just have to stop being a nomad, kill a few billion people, and create your own kingdom.

And regarding your posts here BlueLantern......

I like how the discussion went from people unanimously laughing lovingly at 'release the World Engine' to one guy going 'haters gonna hate yo!'

Relax, we weren't stealing candy from a baby. We were laughing at a piece of corny dialogue.

Sf2 took it over and established an MOS-Evangelists Unite masthead.

You have contacted us several times recently complaining about people's remarks towards people who have a different opinion.....now you are just baiting people to start an argument.

To the other posters on here...do reply to his posts here....to BL...stop trying to start arguments.

The concept itself is fine. But I think it was just the line or more how it was delivered with the music.

I can't put my finger on what was wrong with it.

That's why Jor El chose Earth, because it was at a similar distance to the Sun, as Krytpon was to their star. It's in that "Goldielocks Zone", where Mars is too far, and Mercury and Venus are too close.

Although, I guess they could have gone to another solar system or galaxy, but who knows. It's what was written into the movie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"