All Things Wonder Woman: An Open Discussion - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks nice. But this photo also made me think how I miss the red star on her head piece. It's like the only thing missing from her overall great costume.

I used to miss it as well and didn't care much for the overall shape of this tiara, but have grown accustomed to it. I do like that they went for star of Bethlehem and not five-pointed one, though... even though it is an ancient symbol, five-pointed star has been very prominent ideogram in the modern world and as such has a modern symbolic meaning to it (red one, especially :p). I guess they could have changed it into an actual pentagram, but people usually associate it with occultism. I find that compass rose works well for an ancient, foreign culture Amazons are supposed to be.

In any case, this costume really is something else. Might be Wilkinson's best work when it comes to DCEU.

From the Spain Expocomic convention:

15267954_1107965052634940_2121518916058287092_n.jpg

that is cool...

I just realized WW is up against The Mummy in the second weekend, then there are Despicable Me, Transformers etc in the coming weeks! Stupid date WB!! Why isn't WW released in the prime end of July date, even Pacific Rim was put there before.

I hope it's not put there to fail.

WB likes money, they are not setting up their blockbusters to fail. For some reason they just like that June slot. I don't know why they would still like it but they do. August 4th is empty so I think they should put it there but they like that June slot so fat chance of that happening.

I just realized WW is up against The Mummy in the second weekend, then there are Despicable Me, Transformers etc in the coming weeks! Stupid date WB!! Why isn't WW released in the prime end of July date, even Pacific Rim was put there before.

mummy is no competition at all if tom cruise isn't doing mission impossible then it doesn't draw money

Jack Reacher - 15 Million Opening Weekend
Edge Of Tomorrow - 28 Million Opening Weekend
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - 22 Million Opening Weekend
Oblivion - 37 Million Opening Weekend
Rock Of Ages - 14 Million Opening Weekend
Knight and Day - 27 Million Opening Weekend
Valkyrie - 29 Million Opening Weekend

mummy is no competition at all if tom cruise isn't doing mission impossible then it doesn't draw money

To be fair, the Mummy is name recognition whereas these other ones weren't (the books weren't big books, so of course they weren't huge films either). The Mummy is known.

Tom Cruise is a name recognition itself, and it has Russel Crowe, and The Mummy is a name recognition, the trilogy was pretty popular, and if they play the shared universe card - you might get a look at Johnny Depp as well. I think they might advertise it as a family adventure film, they ditched the all out horror angle, I think.

So I'm not expecting MI 60M+, nor knocking out WW and take top spot, but it should do much better than Edge of Tomorrow and that can take a bit out of WW's legs, and then Transformers and Minions are in the same month I think, so I'm concerned for WW's legs.

Maybe its just me but is there even an appetite out there for the Mummy movies? I feel like that movie is nothing to worry about and it'll land with a thud.

I think it's too soon to be concerned about The Mummy much. As has been pointed out Tom Cruise's only been big money in the Mission Impossible series right now. That could change of course, the film could be another World War Z for all I know but that remains to be seen. It's not some slam dunk smash.

Regardless of when it's released and what it's competition is I acknowledge that Wonder Woman has to actually work for more people than the DCEU films have so far if it wants legs. That will be Wonder Woman's biggest challenge, not Tom Cruise vs.The Mummy.

It's almost unavoidable for a tentpole movie to not go up against another In the first or following weeks of release. I believe WW will be no.1 in the first week but after that who knows. Good word of mouth will help but it's no guarantee of box office success.

Amazing images of the hand sculpted 3 feet tall Wonder Gal inspired statue with sword and shield by Dennis at Finet Studios in the Philippines. $750USD including shipping anywhere in the world Limited to 30 pieces only.

15356758_1110810692350376_8709030214316889369_n.jpg

15319051_1110810719017040_6510307407324816893_n.jpg

15355573_1110810962350349_7454543252664955634_n.jpg

15219525_1110811045683674_3881833638337478507_n.jpg

Doctor Strange, Fantastic Beasts, and Moana were all released within almost back to back and they are doing fine. The competition for WW doesn't matter. Whether it will have legs is what matters. The interest is already there, it needs to be good and have good word of mouth to keep people going to see it.

Tom Cruise is a name recognition itself, and it has Russel Crowe, and The Mummy is a name recognition, the trilogy was pretty popular, and if they play the shared universe card - you might get a look at Johnny Depp as well. I think they might advertise it as a family adventure film, they ditched the all out horror angle, I think.

So I'm not expecting MI 60M+, nor knocking out WW and take top spot, but it should do much better than Edge of Tomorrow and that can take a bit out of WW's legs, and then Transformers and Minions are in the same month I think, so I'm concerned for WW's legs.

I'm thinking $50-55m OW for The Mummy at most, If Wonder Woman does $115-120m in its OW maybe more and has a good drop then it'll probably be able to keep the top spot.

Transformers will likely drop from the fourth film given how bad its legs were.

Judging from the reaction garnered by the The Mummy trailer, I don't think it'll be able to topple Wonder Woman or pose any threat. I'd worry more about Despicable Me 3 (a billion dollar franchise) and Transformers (strong overseas). If Wonder Woman is really good (for the DCEU's future I hope it is) then it'll make bank at the box office. Plus it leads to the JL movie!

I wonder if they'll do something with Gal for the Superbowl like they did with BvS. The possibilities are endless.

[YT]pS7JBHxdxko[/YT]

Judging from the reaction garnered by the The Mummy trailer, I don't think it'll be able to topple Wonder Woman or pose any threat. I'd worry more about Despicable Me 3 (a billion dollar franchise) and Transformers (strong overseas). If Wonder Woman is really good (for the DCEU's future I hope it is) then it'll make bank at the box office. Plus it leads to the JL movie!
I'm not worried about Mummy Impossible either. At least I'm not right now. Maybe it's next trailer will actually be good and compelling. Who knows?

I think Wonder Woman's biggest competition will be itself. The film needs good reviews, it needs crowd-pleasing aspects and the hero needs to be made to be likeable. It can have dark stuff and it can have tough stuff but it cannot just be a choppy, long, depressing and humorless low energy slog. I want them to play up that modern-day coda of her deciding to be Wonder Woman again after giving up on man.

Doctor Strange, Fantastic Beasts, and Moana were all released within almost back to back and they are doing fine. The competition for WW doesn't matter. Whether it will have legs is what matters. The interest is already there, it needs to be good and have good word of mouth to keep people going to see it.

I believe competition matters more if the release in question if of questionable quality. I'm not saying it will be, but if WW were to be as polarizing or divisive as BvS and SS, it could potentially negatively affect how much it makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"