All Things Wonder Woman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would honestly rather have Wonder Woman learn how to fly than have the Invisible Jet.

It was a great scene. It epitomises why this film is a step above both BvS and MoS. Those two films have a very cynical approach to Superman and Batman, and even Wonder Woman to a lesser extent. This is just pure heroism, no questions asked, no apologies. This is exactly the type of movie MoS needed to be for Superman and this is exactly the type of movie WB needs moving forward. It's probably too late for JL to change, I'm basically writing that film off regardless of WW, but this is the direction DC needs to go.

Is it too late to refilm things in JL to be more similar to WW? Perhaps they can beef up her role? Or they could make the film look brighter overall.

Are WB planning a future JL sequel at all? There was JL2 on the cards at one point.

It was a great scene. It epitomises why this film is a step above both BvS and MoS. Those two films have a very cynical approach to Superman and Batman, and even Wonder Woman to a lesser extent. This is just pure heroism, no questions asked, no apologies. This is exactly the type of movie MoS needed to be for Superman and this is exactly the type of movie WB needs moving forward. It's probably too late for JL to change, I'm basically writing that film off regardless of WW, but this is the direction DC needs to go.
That's pretty much where I'm at. JL is all but a lost cause to me at this point, but I'm excited and optimistic about the direction of the DCEU after it thanks to this film.

Is it too late to refilm things in JL to be more similar to WW? Perhaps they can beef up her role? Or they could make the film look brighter overall.

Are WB planning a future JL sequel at all? There was JL2 on the cards at one point.

Funny you say that. Jett from Batman on Film just posted unscheduled reshoot have just begun. Could be up to 3 months of filming. As for a JL2, I think that is firmly on hold. I think WB released they took the wrong approach and need the characters to have their own movies for a while.

Writing a film off before even seeing it? Never change Hype.

I wonder if we'll ever get to the day when people are asking if a Justice League movie is going to just be Wonder Woman and her super friends. :oldrazz:

I thought this was a fantastic movie. My initial reaction upon leaving the theater was "It's the best superhero movie I've seen in a long time." I'll grant it's not on the level of Winter Soldier or Civil War, but I'd say it contends with most other MCU movies. It's also the first superhero movie that's ever, to my remembrance, flat-out made me choke up. Minor spoilers...

The scene that made me choke up was when she walked out into No Man's Land and just stood there taking on all this machinegun fire and all these missiles and bombs. Just because she wanted to help. And it provided a distraction that allowed Steve and his buddies to break a line that had been held the whole freaking war. I don't know what it was about that scene–the music, the imagery, I don't know–but whatever it was, I was seriously choked up, and I almost never get emotional at any movie, let alone a superhero movie. So props to them for that.

So yeah, I'd call it a success. Out of curiosity, did that scene get to anyone else like it did me?

Yea man, that scene got me too. I don't know if it was the fact that it was powerful with the music and everything or the first time she showed up in costume or maybe even the fact that I have a daughter and thought about all the girls feeling powerful after this. But damn, loved the movie and everything it stands for. I liked BVS a lot but this movie left you with a really great feeling afterwards. I didn't have that with BVS even though i liked it.

Question about Steve,
Was he somehow brought into Present day in the comics? I seem to remember him being around with Cheetah in the same story,

You know if WW's able to outgross BvS, MoS & SS (so $900M+) then Warner Bros would shape their future DCEU films to be in more in line with Wonder Woman, given that the film would be a huge success both critically and commercially and a guideline on a real crowd pleaser.

And i absolutely agree with JMC, This was just pure heroism, no questions asked, no apologies.

Writing a film off before even seeing it? Never change Hype.
It's not as if we're doing so blindly. We know the creative team, are familiar with their past work, and we've seen the trailers. If that's not enough to decide whether or not a film will hold appeal for us, I don't know what is. Now if the reviews come out and are surprisingly positive, then I'll give it a shot. But so far I've seen nothing to suggest to me that film will be worth my money.

Question about Steve,
Was he somehow brought into Present day in the comics? I seem to remember him being around with Cheetah in the same story,

He just isn't from the ww1 era in the newer comics I believe.

That's pretty much where I'm at. JL is all but a lost cause to me at this point, but I'm excited and optimistic about the direction of the DCEU after it thanks to this film.

Agreed. I did like BVS a lot but it may be just because i'm a big BM/SM fan. I wish it wasn't as dark. JL seems to be following in the same footsteps (based on trailer alone). After that, flash, MOS2, WW2, GL, should be exciting.

I thought this was a fantastic movie. My initial reaction upon leaving the theater was "It's the best superhero movie I've seen in a long time." I'll grant it's not on the level of Winter Soldier or Civil War, but I'd say it contends with most other MCU movies. It's also the first superhero movie that's ever, to my remembrance, flat-out made me choke up. Minor spoilers...

The scene that made me choke up was when she walked out into No Man's Land and just stood there taking on all this machinegun fire and all these missiles and bombs. Just because she wanted to help. And it provided a distraction that allowed Steve and his buddies to break a line that had been held the whole freaking war. I don't know what it was about that scene–the music, the imagery, I don't know–but whatever it was, I was seriously choked up, and I almost never get emotional at any movie, let alone a superhero movie. So props to them for that.

So yeah, I'd call it a success. Out of curiosity, did that scene get to anyone else like it did me?
YES, me too, that and
when Diana blew a hole in Ares

It's not as if we're doing so blindly. We know the creative team, are familiar with their past work, and we've seen the trailers. If that's not enough to decide whether or not a film will hold appeal for us, I don't know what is. Now if the reviews come out and are surprisingly positive, then I'll give it a shot. But so far I've seen nothing to suggest to me that film will be worth my money.
This is the negative uphill battle Snyder faces, especially with the critics. We have also gotten to the point where unnamed, unverifiable sources can literally say anything and the people treat it as fact. They said the same things about Wonder Woman too. If JL is a success, they'll give credit to Whedon. If it's deemed a failure, all the blame with go on Snyder.

I won't write off JL yet; I'm still hopeful about it. Cyborg looks to have some moments like that (saving people from that...tank? Truck? In the trailer). Flash and WW will probably be heroic like that, too. (I'm not extremely hopeful for Batman, but that's not the kind of hero he's supposed to be anyways.) I'm particularly hopeful that Superman will, too, once he returns. But even if JL does follow more of a BVS formula, and isn't as good as WW is, I'm hopeful that all of the post-JL movies will follow WW's pattern with how they depict their heroes. I guess time will tell. But yeah, if there's even one scene similar to that in JL, I'll probably be sold.

I'm not a MCU hater by any means. I find the films very enjoyable but they do not carry bring on the emotions like this film did.

This is the negative uphill battle Snyder faces, especially with the critics. We have also gotten to the point where unnamed, unverifiable sources can literally say anything and the people treat it as fact. They said the same things about Wonder Woman too. If JL is a success, they'll give credit to Whedon. If it's deemed a failure, all the blame with go on Snyder.
It's the battle literally every film faces. Look good, get a good team, appeal to audiences. JL has failed to do that for me. WW at least had a different creative team so even if the trailers didn't sell us (I liked them), there were still unknown variables that could suggest a different outcome. JL just LOOKS like more of the same, and gives us no reason to expect differently, considering it's made by all the same people who made the stuff we didn't like.

As for Whedon, he's coming in so late in the game it's still a Zack Snyder film, good or bad.

He just isn't from the ww1 era in the newer comics I believe.
See I disliked the Multiverse/New 52 because of this lol Didn't like it with Marvel either. I did however loved the Otherworlds runs lol

The best thing this movie got right was that she was fighting for the lives of people/humans. Not just another alien or supervillain that showed up.

It's the battle literally every film faces. Look good, get a good team, appeal to audiences. JL has failed to do that for me. WW at least had a different creative team so even if the trailers didn't sell us (I liked them), there were still unknown variables that could suggest a different outcome. JL just LOOKS like more of the same, and gives us no reason to expect differently, considering it's made by all the same people who made the stuff we didn't like.
JL has failed to do that for you based on a trailer and now you're writing the film off. Okay, cool. That's your decision. If it's going to be such a traumatic experience to sit through the film I definitely recommend you sit this one out.

I am seeing the movie tomorrow, but if it truly is pure heroism, than there is no way that I won't enjoy it.

Agreed. I did like BVS a lot but it may be just because i'm a big BM/SM fan. I wish it wasn't as dark. JL seems to be following in the same footsteps (based on trailer alone). After that, flash, MOS2, WW2, GL, should be exciting.

Is there going to be a MOS2? Or GL? What about a Cyborg film? Is that still on the cards?

WB might be better off putting WW2 into one of those slots. I could see it coming before we get Cyborg or even Green Lantern.

I would honestly rather have Wonder Woman learn how to fly than have the Invisible Jet.
Me too, that was the one thing I liked about the JL animated series

See I disliked the Multiverse/New 52 because of this lol Didn't like it with Marvel either. I did however loved the Otherworlds runs lol

They could always go the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman Steve route lol.

JL has failed to do that for you based on a trailer and now you're writing the film off. Okay, cool. That's your decision. If it's going to be such a traumatic experience to sit through the film I definitely recommend you sit this one out.
LOL, nobody said anything about it being "traumatic." I can choose the see the film or not. Nothing about it tells me I should, so I won't, unless the reviews suggest it's not the movie I was expecting.

You act as if the film is entitled to my money for no other reason than existing. There needs to be a reason for me to want to see it, and right now, there isn't one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"