All Things Wonder Woman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 25

22181490_1931600773746041_8860072685705386286_o.jpg

Was just watching Strictly Come Dancing tonight (which is probably Britains biggest and most watched show). It was movie week. They had a Wonder Woman themed dance, but even though they announced it was from the movie Wonder Woman, it was still the 70s TV theme tune they played. I think the British public just doesn't know the Gal Gadot movie exists. In their minds, WW is still a campy franchise.

And okay, I get that maybe the Lynda Carter theme fits better with a samba (which is what they were dancing), but the Tina Guo/ Hans Zimmer theme could easily have been used for a Latin dance like the Paso Doble or Tango.

So yes, it's just one show, but it's the most watched show on British TV and it just further cements WW and her theme as this campy TV series. In many other things they try to be more current (eg when Spectre came out, they had people dancing to the Sam Smith song). As I said before, the British public still don't seem aware of the Patty Jenkins/ Gal Gadot movie.

I think old habits die hard. Even when the Avengers movie came out, it took a long time before the British could disassociate the Avengers from the Steed and Mrs Peel British 1960s series and reassociate the name Avengers with Iron Man, Captain America and Thor. Sometimes I still don't think the Brits have fully embraced that. As a nation we just suck.

You're reading too much into it - Strictly is a campy franchise, and so the 70s theme song was appropriate to it. A Batman themed dance would have been more likely to have been accompanied by the 60s TV theme than Danny Elfmann's classic, too.

You're reading too much into it - Strictly is a campy franchise, and so the 70s theme song was appropriate to it. A Batman themed dance would have been more likely to have been accompanied by the 60s TV theme than Danny Elfmann's classic, too.

Yes, Strictly is campy, but my point is that everytime a mention of WW is made on British TV, even in other shows, they always use the 70s TV theme and always reference the Lynda Carter version by default, even this year when the WW movie has been in the news and public eye so much.

But as I said, they could have used the Tina Guo theme for a Latin dance, as not all the dances on Strictly are always campy, especially when they're going for sensual or intense, as in a Tango or Paso Doble.

Was just watching Strictly Come Dancing tonight (which is probably Britains biggest and most watched show). It was movie week. They had a Wonder Woman themed dance, but even though they announced it was from the movie Wonder Woman, it was still the 70s TV theme tune they played. I think the British public just doesn't know the Gal Gadot movie exists. In their minds, WW is still a campy franchise.

And okay, I get that maybe the Lynda Carter theme fits better with a samba (which is what they were dancing), but the Tina Guo/ Hans Zimmer theme could easily have been used for a Latin dance like the Paso Doble or Tango.

So yes, it's just one show, but it's the most watched show on British TV and it just further cements WW and her theme as this campy TV series. In many other things they try to be more current (eg when Spectre came out, they had people dancing to the Sam Smith song). As I said before, the British public still don't seem aware of the Patty Jenkins/ Gal Gadot movie.

I think old habits die hard. Even when the Avengers movie came out, it took a long time before the British could disassociate the Avengers from the Steed and Mrs Peel British 1960s series and reassociate the name Avengers with Iron Man, Captain America and Thor. Sometimes I still don't think the Brits have fully embraced that. As a nation we just suck.

Nah, I don't agree at all. Wonder Woman was huge over here. Everyone I know has seen it (apart from one of my best friends who only got around to seeing it this weekend and messaged me to say she LOVED it and felt so empowered afterwards)

Remember Strictly's target audience is predominantly older people. Like I've never watched it, but my Mum and Nan are addicts. My Mum has seen the new Wonder Woman movie but my Nan hasn't (though she'd know the Lynda Carter version)

To say British people don't know the move exists just isn't true. We know it and we loved it.

Blu-Ray/DVD still number 1 on Amazon and iTunes in USA
Also number 1 and 2 on Amazon UK

N.1 in UK

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/dvd-chart/

If only it would be nominated for all 15 categories.

The Weinstein debacle might give WW a shot at a Best Picture nomination (though I fear something like Get Out would suffer for it), and it's sure to land some tech categories. However, Best Director is a long shot, and categories like Actress, Supporting Actress, Supporting Actor, and Screenplay simply are not happening. Those fields are way too competitive this year with only five nominees each.

The Weinstein debacle might give WW a shot at a Best Picture nomination (though I fear something like Get Out would suffer for it), and it's sure to land some tech categories. However, Best Director is a long shot, and categories like Actress, Supporting Actress, Supporting Actor, and Screenplay simply are not happening. Those fields are way too competitive this year with only five nominees each.

I could possibly see a Best Director nod for Jenkins (not saying it's likely), otherwise yes, the tech side. I could certainly see a nom for Best Costume Design.

The fact an Oscar for best picture or director or acting is even being discussed for WW’s first movie is just amazing. As a lifelong Wondy fan, I am beyond grateful the right creative team made this, and thrilled at the reception by critics and moviegoers and yes, Hollywood heavyweights. Yay!

I think an Oscar for costume design could be possible - the Amazon costumes (even if based on an existing design), the WW1 period costumes and even a couple of modern day costumes.

I'm happy if they win the technical Oscars, but I don't want it to be all that they win. Lots of comic book movies win or are nominated in those categories each year. It almost feels like it's just throwing them a bone because they can't ever be considered for a more serious award.

Well Raven, not to vomit all over your house party, but WW solo really can't be considered for more serious award. It was a competently made film. It was a well-acted performance from the majority of the cast. However, it wasn't anything extraordinary or different from the general approach to an origin story.

I thought the cinematography was beautiful though... I'd like them to get a reward for that.

I just watched this film for only the second time. It was just as good as the first time. Such a great movie.

WW might get a nom for best picture for PC reasons especially after the Weinstein scandal, Oscar's too PC these days.

WW might get a nom for best picture for PC reasons especially after the Weinstein scandal, Oscar's too PC these days.

Then it should get one for best director too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"