• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics Amazing Spider-Man #600 discussion thread

Aunt May's house was re-built by Harry as explained in ASM #580/581...

No magic there...

And as explained, there's something that prevents everybody from guessing that Peter is Spider-Man... it's not magic (well, it might be), but it's yet to be explained... so it's not "magickal" in the sense that we don't need to know how it works...

You're a confused little fella, aren't chy'a.... half the time, you talk well of the book, and then 2 posts later, you speak so negatively about it...

It confuses me...

:huh: :huh: :huh:

:csad:

Ah, your right.
That wasn't one of my favorite arcs. :csad:
Actually, I don't think I even finished it? That's the Harry Osborn resurrection story right?

I still recommended the issues that I liked though. They were really good but because they had nothing to do with the plot holes or new supporting cast. :yay:

During Spidey's fight with the thunderbolts. Norman Osborn finds the camera and he uses it to discover that he is taking pictures of himself.
He uses the frequency to track Spider-man and also design weapons for his swat team that will automatically hit Spider-man no matter what.

The deduction was so cool and brilliant that when he says "He must be taking the pictures himself and splitting the money with Parker." it really takes you out of the moment.

Plus other things like when the venom Symbiote can sense him as Spidey, but it can't when he's Peter Parker. :huh:

I know.....it's magic. But that doesn't stop it from being mind boggling.
That's exactly what I thought when I was reading it. He's smart enough to figure out about the spider tracers and has software advanced enough to tell him the pictures are perfectly centered but can't figure out Spider-Man and Peter Parker have the exact same height, and build? He couldn't put that together? It made Norman look like a moron. It reminded me of the old days when Lois Lane was suppose to be this world renouned reporter but can't figure out Superman and Clark are the same guy? It's bad writing. Not to mention goofy.

Comics Bulletin released a very positive review of ASM #600. Beware there's some spoilers in it: http://www.comicsbulletin.com/reviews/124819044256423.htm

Well, that was quick.

Anyways folks, since this issue comes out tomorrow, I'd thought I'd tease you a little bit more in that not only have I gotten confirmation on the spoilers I already was told and knew about, I now know the full details of things I WASN'T told about in the issue, thanks to some poster on CBR whose thread on ASM #600 was taken down by the administrators. With that, I'm going to leave you with a little hint.

Remember how some folks have been complaining about how since Peter Parker is now single it should make him available for potential love interests? Well...lets just say some folks are going to be happy and some folks are going to be really, REALLY mad. And not just the those who don't like BND but even those who do. :twisted:

EDIT: Also, there's a scene (which I already knew about beforehand) that is probably going to be interpreted by the anti-OMD/BND faction as either a real slap in the face...or a sign of hope.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I thought when I was reading it. He's smart enough to figure out about the spider tracers and has software advanced enough to tell him the pictures are perfectly centered but can't figure out Spider-Man and Peter Parker have the exact same height, and build? He couldn't put that together? It made Norman look like a moron. It reminded me of the old days when Lois Lane was suppose to be this world renouned reporter but can't figure out Superman and Clark are the same guy? It's bad writing. Not to mention goofy.

You have to remember that the "mindwipe" that Peter and his as of yet announced unkown ally have created something that will make people come to other conclusions rather than making the perhaps obvious "Peter is Spider-Man" guess...

:yay:

Remember how some folks have been complaining about how since Peter Parker is now single it should make him available for potential love interests? Well...lets just say some folks are going to be happy and some folks are going to be really, REALLY mad. And not just the those who don't like BND but even those who do. :twisted:

EDIT: Also, there's a scene (which I already knew about beforehand) that is probably going to be interpreted by the anti-OMD/BND faction as either a real slap in the face...or a sign of hope.
Hmmmmm....

Yea, I mean we ARE reading a story about a man that crawl's walls.
But that was my BIGGEST complaint about the last half of JMS' run. That things were getting way too magicky. Spider-man should not be supported by magic elements. You can insert him in those situations sure, but keep him as regular a man as possible.

I mean I understand how it works, yea its nice. It DOES do it's job of remasking him. But I can't help feeling a little cheated by the story telling. Like it's a way for the writers to fix continuity mistakes.

Does anyone know that the reason Spidey's black costume could change into his other costume is so that they could correct continuity issues when someone screwed up and drew the red and blue's? I assume it's the same thing with the "iron spider" costume being able to do the same thing.

Those worked more logically, this doesn't because it affects story telling. Directly.

That was enough for me to figure out who it is, more appropriately what it is, I already knew the who beforehand. :cwink:

I think it'll just make alot of people scratch their heads.
I'm really scratching my head and going "What the hell?" :huh:

Mainly because OMD didn't make me quit, until recently.

Farmie's going to be pissed.
Not sure how Shinlyle and Moral deficiency will take it though.

The [blackout]Spider-Mobile[/blackout]???!?! I'm all over that like Petey on wheatcakes. In fact, I'll probably buy a couple now!

LOL. :woot:

^^ I'm buying all 4 covers.
I'm picking up the JRJR cover. I have it as my desktop wallpaper right now. I have a protective baggie with a white board ready right now lol. :)

Last edited:
I've got all 4 waiting at my store... I just have to get off my lazy ass...

:o

Well, that was quick.

Not sure how to take this. I HATED, HATED, HATED getting rid of their marriage. Thats the main reason (of many: so many writers/artists rushing to get so many stories out each month really kills the quality of the art and stories) i don't buy the books now. Also, I didn't like how Peter made a deal with THE DEVIL to save May. What ever happen to LOKI's promise of help when ever he needs it? Pisses me off to no end.

I will be picking up this one after work today, though, if only cuz its #600.

*crosses fingers in hopes of NOT being disappointed*

I'm picking up the JRJR cover. I have it as my desktop wallpaper right now. I have a protective baggie with a white board ready right now lol. :)
Awesome!

Well, I picked up the Ross and JRJR. cover of ASM 600. The ROmita Sr. and Quesada cover whent for $62 and $32, so I couldn't get them....yet.

Anyway, I plan on reading the story VERY soon.

Not sure how to take this. I HATED, HATED, HATED getting rid of their marriage. Thats the main reason (of many: so many writers/artists rushing to get so many stories out each month really kills the quality of the art and stories) i don't buy the books now. Also, I didn't like how Peter made a deal with THE DEVIL to save May. What ever happen to LOKI's promise of help when ever he needs it? Pisses me off to no end.

I will be picking up this one after work today, though, if only cuz its #600.

*crosses fingers in hopes of NOT being disappointed*

Careful. I know your late and haven't expressed your opinion of One more day, but just to let you know some posters will attack you for that.

Oh yea, Loki is/was (?) dead during one more day.
So he couldn't have helped.

Nothing ever stays the same in Spidey's life these days....I wouldn't be surprised if One more day was just a sham to raise sells with controversy.

Remember, he was supposed to stay unmasked for a while too. As well as keep his "other" powers. :cwink:

Awesome!

Well, I picked up the Ross and JRJR. cover of ASM 600. The ROmita Sr. and Quesada cover whent for $62 and $32, so I couldn't get them....yet.

WOW?! they cost that much already???
My LCS didn't have any yet. So I'll have to wait later. :csad:

Careful. I know your late and haven't expressed your opinion of One more day, but just to let you know some posters will attack you for that.

Haha, I've lurked around here long enough to spout forth my opinion on this once or twice, but in any case, bring it! its just ******ed; they had their "single, down on his luck" parker with USM; they just screwed that line all to hell, and had to go for ASM's throat. (Yes, I said it, USM stinks). :grin:

Oh yea, Loki is/was (?) dead during one more day.
So he couldn't have helped.

really? damn, go figure. of course, even if he wasn't, its not like they would have gone that route; otherwise there'd be no "logical" reason for the outcome they wanted.

Nothing ever stays the same in Spidey's life these days....I wouldn't be surprised if One more day was just a sham to raise sells with controversy.

Yeah, i know. but i guess this is the ''Clone Saga" (which I kinda dug for the most part) for the 21st century. Just gotta ride it out, and hope for the best.

Remember, he was supposed to stay unmasked for a while too. As well as keep his "other" powers. :cwink:

The only good thing to come out of OMD.

Awesome!

good lord; i though they were going for 5 or 6 bucks? where'd you go to get them?

I think it'll just make alot of people scratch their heads.
I'm really scratching my head and going "What the hell?" :huh:

Mainly because OMD didn't make me quit, until recently.

Farmie's going to be pissed.
Not sure how Shinlyle and Moral deficiency will take it though.

If MJ get's back together with Pete in any way I'll double boycott. She deserves a lot better than Pete. If Pete gets together with gwen's cold dead rotting corpse that's about right and fair and fits this new Peter Parker quite well. If Pete gets together with anyone else, who the **** cares?

The only good thing to come out of OMD.

lol You can't thank One more day for anything.

One more day just eliminated the marriage to bring back Aunt May so she could hook up with JJJ's dad.

There's a whole 100 day gap between OMD and BND that's still pretty much unexplained.

Awesome!

$62 and $32, wow! I paid $38 for all 4 covers Canadian.

I just paid cover price for all four variants. My own mini-review: I thought the Doc Ock story was serviceable, but would have been better with a single Spidey (ie, no DD, NA, or HT). I thought the idea for a brain traumatized Ock was kind of cool, but the plot was like the 60's cartoon--and not in a good way. I'm not keen on Aunt May getting married, either.

Spidey meets the psychiatrist reminded me of those old Hostess twinkie spots Marvel & DC used to run--all filler. Very old skool and sort of an interesting concept. Stan wrote this on the back of a napkin at a lunch meeting, I think.

The Uncle Ben & Aunt May stories were the best of the lot. Very touching.

Although I detested the Spider-Buggy stories from back in the day (driven by Marvel's genius marketing department), this one was AWESOME! Very cool.

Madame Web bit--nice lead in to something cool, I hope.

I wish they could have gotten Ditko to draw a cover or do a splash page. He might not be around for ASM #700, so it's a real shame. I understand Todd McFarlane was approached, but declined. I still think Ditko, Romita, Sr., and McFarlane stamped their "look" on the character more than any other artists.

To me, Peter Parker has always been about loss & tragedy and Spider-Man has been all about responsibility and victory in the face of overwhelming odds. Those elements create the character's core and the tension that lies within the stories. But that's just me.

I picked it up (and cause curiosity got the better of me, a hard cover edition of One More Day). I felt it was mostly weak. But here's what I did like:

Uncle Ben's story. First off, for being "alive" in only the very first comic, he (obviously) has the most important role of the entire series, and yet, we really know nothing of Ben aside from what we can gleam of his personality from his "great power..." quote. So, having a few pages focused SOLELY on his feelings toward raising Peter was wonderful; hell I even choked up a bit at the end. That was pure gold.

The Madame Web part was intriguing; just the right amount of "WTF?" to get me actually thinking about picking up the series again (if only for this arc).

The Spider-Buggy was kinda funny; a little too heavy handed, but it got a chuckle.

Stan's therapy story: see above.

Doc Ock and the Wedding: Very cool idea. I always thought to myself "how can a normal guy take all those beatings and never have anything wrong with him?" So seeing him frail and near death after so many beatings finally catching up with him was kinda cool. The best part of this story was the very last image: Mary Jane Watson. Lets hope its worth something.

Now for the bad....

Over all, I thought the art was lack luster. I was really disappointed with JRJR. He's my favorite Spidey artist, and his work on this just seemed....sloppy. It was like he just wasnt into it; Peter looked completely different in every other panel, heads were way too big for a persons body, etc. Also, I don't approve of the inker and colorist, either. Lets bring back the guys from JMS and JRJR's original run. They really complemented JRJR's style (and possibly corrected any mistakes as well); where as the inker here just doodled, and the coloring was completely uninspired.

The same could be said for the rest of the issue; yeah there were alot of differing styles which is cool to see, but it ALL felt rushed, and not a labor of love; Madam Web's part was the best looking.

The writing. I guess I got spoiled with JMS. Say what you will about WHERE he took the character; HOW he did it was top notch. The jokes worked well without trying too hard; the drama felt genuine; his dialogue overall was smooth and convincing. But ever since he left (and especially here) its all gone down the crapper. They are trying waaay to hard to be funny, to the point where i just shake my head most of the time. The dialogue was weird and would cut off in mid-sentence a lot. That might work for tv and movies, but not in a comic book; it kills the flow. The narrative as a whole is just filled with holes and ungraceful cuts and ass backward sections. The ideas were good, they just fell apart in execution.

Best writing: Uncle Ben's Story
Best art: Madam Web's Story

Really? I thought one of the best things about this issue was JRJR's art. Everything seemed to flow together nicely, unlike his rushed job on NWTD.

And while I liked JMS's run as well, I think Dan Slott gets Peter/Spidey a lot better. I loved every bit of the main story honestly.

JMS was GREAT with characterization... he just told piss-poor stories... in my opinion.

And even the ones that had some great build-ups, he always fumbled the ball in the last parts.

But he nailed the characterization... that he did.

:yay:

And as far as ASM #600 goes... a solid issue... VERY solid...

Probably the third best ASM centennial behind #200 & #400...

:word:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"