Andor General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

Funny how a couple of trailers jolted my hype level from "no interest at all but I'll still watch it regardless" to "HOLY ****, this looks really good!"

This looks better then Obi-Wan (still haven’t watched it) but so tired of prequels after prequel. I’m just going to assume any characters not in Rogue One won’t make it out of this series, just like I assumed anyone in Rogue One that wasn’t in New Hope wouldn’t make it either.

The visuals in Andor look incredible! Sucks it got delayed but at least we are getting a 3 episode premiere

I don’t think, that it’s been delayed because of vfx need more time.
There are already screeners sent to the media.
It’s delayed, because they have no content for November (She Hulk over, Willow on 31st of November (btw expect this to get delayed as well)). But they knew this when the release for Andor was revealed at SW celebration.
Sucks because they said Summer 2022 and now it isn’t even summer any more, when it comes out. They should’ve said during Celebration: September 2022 (because 31st of August is almost September)
Don’t trust any release date they announce ever again.

Maybe the Guardians Holiday special will be delayed to spring…

I don’t think, that it’s been delayed because of vfx need more time.
There are already screeners sent to the media.
That doesn't mean VFX for the later episodes are finished though. Media only gets the initial few episodes. The final episodes in particular tend to be very VFX heavy.

It’s delayed, because they have no content for November (She Hulk over, Willow on 31st of November (btw expect this to get delayed as well)).
Though yes, spreading out their content is probably part of it. That's a good move though IMO and it's not a very long wait either. Can't wait for that 3-episode premiere!

Delays are good... we don't want Flea's gang chasing Leia or Boba's Biker Goons issue again. Both times the editing felt off. Even the effects weren't exactly to blame. Sometimes (most times) editors are hindered the most in tv/film.

This looks visually a step up on the previous Disney Star Wars shows. I liked the more morally grey espionage rebellion aspects in Rogue One so seeing more of that is cool. Rebels like Andor doing the dirty jobs so that the more idealistic sides of the Rebellion don't have to get their hands dirty.

Delays are good... we don't want Flea's gang chasing Leia or Boba's Biker Goons issue again. Both times the editing felt off. Even the effects weren't exactly to blame. Sometimes (most times) editors are hindered the most in tv/film.

3 weeks of delay wouldn’t have helped Obi Wan to avoid this…

I said it before this had low interest and low expectations, so it has the best chance. I just hope it is a good story and not just cameos.

I’d love it if Disney at least showed the first few episodes on the big screen since this looks so cinematic, even if that’s very unlikely for various reasons!
Shame we don’t get that. I’d definitely go for this and other top shows.

This looks great. I do think there's both too many MCU shows and too many Star Wars shows at the moment, but I do think this looks great. I'm a big fan of Rogue One, so I'll be checking it out.

Also, add me to the group of people who thinks the Volume has shown it's limitations. I loved Obi Wan, but it was quite obvious a lot of that wasn't real. I hope Disney makes sure that not every lucasfilm project has to utilize it. I know this show is using more locations and I think Indiana Jones V was all real sets and locations too, though I know that's not a show.
I don't rewatch many of the shows so I don't mind having 2 overlapping shows. Ideally would always be 1 about to start and a little break in between, but I don't mind this level of frequency - just want them to set and maintain higher standards.

Also knowing when to use and when not to use advanced tools is part of the skill of a filmmaker/show creator. Seems like they are overusing it at the moment.

I’m happy that they’re actually using characters for a purpose, and not just fan service, like Saw Gerrera and Mon Mothma!

Mandalorian S2, Book of Boba Fett, and Obi-Wan were guilty of this.

Gotta say, that trailer was pretty great
I'm not the biggest fan of Rogue One, and this show was barely on my radar
but now I'm def gonna check it out, at the very least it looks beautiful

And yeah, the volume is great for certain things, like the interior of Slave 1, but the filmmakers gotta know how to use it. Actors standing in front of a green screen is actors standing in front of a green screen, even if its a really advanced green screen. I'm sure its great for the actors and helps their performances, but it's not that much better from a visual standpoint

This looks better then Obi-Wan (still haven’t watched it) but so tired of prequels after prequel. I’m just going to assume any characters not in Rogue One won’t make it out of this series, just like I assumed anyone in Rogue One that wasn’t in New Hope wouldn’t make it either.

This prequel series to a prequel film is a pretty perfect example of Disney's approach, but it does have some things going for it. Andor was basically no-one's favourite character from Rogue One, and the writer seems to have less love for Star Wars than the usual, so it hints at a little hope that this project is being made to actually tell a story. There seems to be more to the pitch than simply 'doing a Star Wars' with a bankable character.

This prequel series to a prequel film is a pretty perfect example of Disney's approach, but it does have some things going for it. Andor was basically no-one's favourite character from Rogue One, and the writer seems to have less love for Star Wars than the usual, so it hints at a little hope that this project is being made to actually tell a story. There seems to be more to the pitch than simply 'doing a Star Wars' with a bankable character.

The franchise had been doing that since the 90s. Lucas made the prequels then made a 5 season prequel to Revenge of the Sith. The comics and books have been bouncing all over the timeline and expanding random characters to hero roles since before the prequels.

And we can't forget Boba. He does far less in the OT than Andor in Rogue One. His claim to fame in the OT rests almost entirely on his cool design. Lucas never intended him to be more than a bounty hunter that captured Han. But he took that shallow throwaway character and in the PT and Clone Wars and in the EU Boba was turned into a much more layered character.

The franchise had been doing that since the 90s. Lucas made the prequels then made a 5 season prequel to Revenge of the Sith. The comics and books have been bouncing all over the timeline and expanding random characters to hero roles since before the prequels.

And we can't forget Boba. He does far less in the OT than Andor in Rogue One. His claim to fame in the OT rests almost entirely on his cool design. Lucas never intended him to be more than a bounty hunter that captured Han. But he took that shallow throwaway character and in the PT and Clone Wars and in the EU Boba was turned into a much more layered character.

That's not a very accurate comparison. The prequel trilogy was built in to the franchise back in the 80's, the moment numbers were added to the original films. It was a story set up to be filled in later. By contrast, Rogue One was a film built from a single line in the original film's opening crawl and adds basically nothing to the overall story.

Disney's stint with the IP has been an ongoing battle between regular content and a story worth telling. The Clone Wars is nothing against the mass of supplimental material in the new era. I think the way Disney handles canon and EU has affected things top to bottom. Throwing out all the old EU only really served to annoy die hard fans of it, declaring the new secondary stuff canon did nothing to elevate it, and the wave of TV shows and spin-offs have only devalued the filmed material. Perhaps it wouldn't be a problem if the quality was better and more consistent.

True R1 didn't add to the Skywalker saga, it wasn't meant to, yet was legit world building, that didn't betray what we knew was there, as if one of the cameras on the Massassi temple rebel-base set, just casually drifted and re-focus for a beat on what we suspected was always there.
That the character Gilroy chose to focus on, is by design, the one whose destiny is least likely to stand out, not the one who gets the medal, the kiss from the princess, the recognition, the magic weapon, armor or power, the glory, or any reward, but just to fight and die bringing hope to those who can is kind of the point.
He (and the series) being the outliers is what makes it interesting (to me anyway).

New images...

FZTyXt8XwAIG-lz

401222-02EB28E7-5505-4A17-861C-F2A21AE4BF3F.png

FZQKhfrXEAM6wyN

FZTyXt_X0AAzoI-

FZQKhfwWAAAnNQp

FZPEh3cXoAUGUIx

Last edited:
I know these are all on a big streaming service. But I hope eventually down the road I can buy these physically on 4K. Need them in the collection with my other Star Wars movies and show on the shelf. I always prefer physical media and owning movies and shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"