The Dark Knight Rises Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selina Kyle's mugshot listed her birthdate as 1985.

Even though I shouldnt be in here until I see the flick (thanks for using spoiler tags still unlike the John Blake thread) its been pretty cool reading you alls reviews of Hathaways performance. I also cant help but have a smug smirk as I remember throwing Hathaways name out for casting in '08 and alot of people said she could never be sexy enough, she seems to have proved more than a few wrong.

I do wish she'd had a bit more to do with Holly than she did. Some kind of mentorship/protective role. And I kind of wish there had been a bit more reason for Bruce and Selina to end up together besides attraction.

There was a lot more than attraction. They didn't really get to know each other but there very obviously was affection there. Her almost crying when she gave her "You've given them everything" speech is a prime example of emotion between them. Also her "You came back" and all the other stuff that she said to him before he
flew off with the bomb

Last edited:
I do wish she'd had a bit more to do with Holly than she did. Some kind of mentorship/protective role. And I kind of wish there had been a bit more reason for Bruce and Selina to end up together besides attraction.

I just read that Holly was played by some actress named Juno Temple. I honestly have no clue at all who that is. I totally thought that was Ellen Page in a wig.

So, is everyone here also wondering if the ending was [BLACKOUT]real or Alfred's wishful thinking?[/BLACKOUT]

I've seen some speculation about this. Saying that it's an Inception-ish ending that leave it up to the audience to decide. While I can see where people are coming from, I don't buy that it was
Alfred's wishful thinking because if it was there wouldn't be any reason for him to imagine Selina with him. Alfred didn't know Selina, or know if Bruce wanted to be with her at all. In fact all he knew is that Selina stole from Bruce, so there definitely isn't any motive to him imagining Bruce specifically with Selina.

I felt the same way about the underdeveloped relationship...however, the ending up together was more than attraction. The film may not have the time to delve more into the development, but the time Bruce/Batman spent with Selina/Catwoman was sort of enough to get the gist why they end up together. I believe as he began to understand her, he can relate to her more...they're the same in a way. Both are broken who can't escape their past and are struggling to find a fresh start in life. And she too began to understand him and felt sympathy...hence proposing for him to come away with her during her bat-pod scene. Many more reasons why they belong together in the end. I hope this helps...this is my understanding though.

Last edited:
Attraction and sympathy...there's got to be more for a believeable relationship. The movie never dealth with their dualities, their commonalities, the nature of them as orphans, etc...

I've seen some speculation about this. Saying that it's an Inception-ish ending that leave it up to the audience to decide. While I can see where people are coming from, I don't buy that it was
Alfred's wishful thinking because if it was there wouldn't be any reason for him to imagine Selina with him. Alfred didn't know Selina, or know if Bruce wanted to be with her at all. In fact all he knew is that Selina stole from Bruce, so there definitely isn't any motive to him imagining Bruce specifically with Selina.

Not only this, but there's the little fact that Alfred told him that was exactly where he went when Bruce was gone, therefore it's perfectly conceivable that the first thing Bruce thought of when disappearing was "gotta let Alfred know I'm alright, and am happy now like he wanted." It's not like Bruce didn't have any idea Alfred would be at the restaurant in Paris hoping to see him there.

I felt the same way about the underdeveloped relationship...however, the ending up together was more than attraction. The film may not have the time to delve more into the development, but the time Bruce/Batman spent with Selina/Catwoman was sort of enough to get the gist why they end up together. I believe as he began to understand her, he can relate to her more...they're the same in a way. Both are broken who can't escape their past and are struggling to find a fresh start in life. And she too began to understand him and felt sympathy...hence proposing for him to come away with her during her bat-pod scene. Many more reasons why they belong together in the end. I hope this helps...this is my understanding though.

This. Also, I loved how Bruce seemed to always have faith in her and trust her even when she was completely untrustworthy (which, let's be honest, she was very untrustworthy throughout most of the movie). I LOVE the scene where
Bruce returns and she seems teary-eyed and guilt-stricken. She even asks something to the effect of "Why would you trust me, after what I did to you?" and he responds "Because I believe there's more to you" or something to that effect. He seems to ALWAYS give her the benefit of the doubt, which is very comic-book accurate of their relationship. Throughout all their scenes together, Bruce always believes there's good in her, and understands her even when she's bad.

I was very, very satisfied with their relationship in this film.

Bruce returns and she seems teary-eyed and guilt-stricken. She even asks something to the effect of "Why would you trust me, after what I did to you?" and he responds "Because I believe there's more to you" or something to that effect. He seems to ALWAYS give her the benefit of the doubt, which is very comic-book accurate of their relationship. Throughout all their scenes together, Bruce always believes there's good in her, and understands her even when she's bad.

I was very, very satisfied with their relationship in this film.
Hathaway's expression when he came back said a lot. I mentioned before that Selina's reaction was on the verge of tears, with relief that he's alive, and guilt after making him suffer. And of course Selina Kyle does not break down crying...that isn't her...and so she reverts back to the strong and cunning Selina acting nonchalant and responds with the "I thought they killed you" or something like that. When I first saw that seen I was like...wait..is she going to cry...wow, that's a facial expression that I would never see on this woman. Anne is awesome showing vulnerability..basically different parts of this character. Haha. And that ongoing faith in her from Bruce/Batman was great too, I think that pushed her to redeem herself by staying in Gotham and helping Batman in the end.

It's all good. :D

I feel like I'm living in this bizzaro world right now where a lot of people are praising a god awful performance.

Anne Hathaway was terrible in this. Really dull and annoying performance. Every line was forced and her delivery was so unnatural. Never once did I buy that she was Catwoman (or Selina Kyle I guess), and all I could see was an actress playing make believe. Zero chemistry with Christian Bale.

Truly Razzie worthy.

I feel like I'm living in this bizzaro world right now where a lot of people are praising a god awful performance.

Anne Hathaway was terrible in this. Really dull and annoying performance. Every line was forced and her delivery was so unnatural. Never once did I buy that she was Catwoman (or Selina Kyle I guess), and all I could see was an actress playing make believe. Zero chemistry with Christian Bale.

Truly Razzie worthy.

You are living in a bizarro world if you thought that was bad

Probably will be a while before we get this, but I'm dying to see gifs/pics of the Bat/Cat kiss and ending cafe scene. Shouldn't there be leakage by now? ;) :D

I really need to see the [blackout]cafe scene again because I can't remember much. It was too quick and it didn't linger more than I would've liked. I do remember she was wearing a blue sleeveless dress, her hair was in a ponytail and you can see the necklace. I knew what Bale was wearing because there were set pics. Was Selina laughing? I think I remember something like that. [/blackout] Can anyone remember more details?

I really need to see the [blackout]cafe scene again because I can't remember much. It was too quick and it didn't linger more than I would've liked. I do remember she was wearing a blue sleeveless dress, her hair was in a ponytail and you can see the necklace. I knew what Bale was wearing because there were set pics. Was Selina laughing? I think I remember something like that. [/blackout] Can anyone remember more details?

There are set pics of this?? Please share! Yes, I do remember [BLACKOUT]Selina with the hair in a ponytail and I think she turns to show the side of her face. God, I can't remember her expression or if she turned to look at Alfred as well. I can't even remember what Bruce was wearing! But he looked happy and nodded/smiled at Alfred. Also, I think he was skimming through a menu in his hand...Christ, this scene was so quick![/BLACKOUT] But the moment was so great and so relieving that literally everyone in my theater was cheering and clapping. Seems like everyone wanted Bruce to finally have [BLACKOUT]a happy ending...and with Selina was just icing on the cake. :hrt:[/BLACKOUT]

There are set pics of this?? Please share! Yes, I do remember [BLACKOUT]Selina with the hair in a ponytail and I think she turns to show the side of her face. God, I can't remember her expression or if she turned to look at Alfred as well. I can't even remember what Bruce was wearing! But he looked happy and nodded/smiled at Alfred. Also, I think he was skimming through a menu in his hand...Christ, this scene was so quick![/BLACKOUT] But the moment was so great and so relieving that literally everyone in my theater was cheering and clapping. Seems like everyone wanted Bruce to finally have [BLACKOUT]a happy ending...and with Selina was just icing on the cake. :hrt:[/BLACKOUT]

Yup there were set pics of Bale and Caine but we didn't know that someone else was there. ;)
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=353189&page=5

Scroll down a bit to the Greenwich pics. Bale is in costume. I always thought this scene would either be the ending or a flashback but the gray in Bale's hair made me lean towards the ending.

I think she was laughing in the scene but I'm not sure. She definitely didn't see Alfred.

She was [blackout]looking up and the the right side of the screen, presumably to the waiter, and smiling :) [/blackout]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"