The Dark Knight Rises Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman XXXIV

A spin off for any of the Nolan characters is a bad idea. Love Hathaway's Catwoman to bits. She was the only great thing about the movie. But spin off material she ain't.

Yeah, I wouldn't see a Catwoman spinoff. Nolan's Bat-story is done, and I don't really think Selina needs to be fleshed out. I guess I just don't understand the apeal of the character. Just sayin'.

Yeah, I wouldn't see a Catwoman spinoff. Nolan's Bat-story is done, and I don't really think Selina needs to be fleshed out. I guess I just don't understand the apeal of the character. Just sayin'.

I do. Not that I want a spinoff, because they usually serve no purpose, but this Catwoman, together with Two Face, Joker & Ra's was one of the best characters in all superheromovies combined.

She's Batman's only true love interest btw.

She's Batman's only true love interest btw.

Could you explain to me why that is? I'm not trying to start anything, really, but no-one ever answers my questions about this character. I'm just interested as to why so many Batman fans consider A Bat/Cat relationship legitimate. See my post on the previous page for reference if you want.

I dunno abotu you but for me it is implanted in my brain that he would end up with Catwoman. I dunno but like they have been through so much it ws inevitable. Though it isn't perhaps the most logical choice but I guess she truly understands him.

Talia has daddy issues and really wants him to replace her father.I don't think she loves Bruce as much as she loves her father. (FREUDIAN!!!)

All the other non costumed characters like Vicki Vale and even Rachel won't completely understand him so he will constantly feel isolated and alone. And despite his persona he wants to be loved by someone who sees him for who he really is.

But she's a criminal... That's what I don't understand. In TDKR I don't think that there needed to be a "love" interest other than Talia. That movie is packed with stuff already. But even the way it was handled made no sense to me. I just don't know what Bruce saw in her, or why he continued to trust her after she stole from/betrayed him.

Movie Talia is irrelevant to this discussion, because, the films, she lies to Bruce about who she really is. But in the comics and stuff, I don't care if Talia loves Bruce, but he shouldn't love her. If he hates the LOS, there's no way that he could/should love her.

In all other Batman media, Catwoman is a love interest for Batman, and I don't understand how that can be. She is a criminal. She steals things for a living. What makes her any different than any other burglar that Bats might stop? She's hot. I guess.

I think that relationship completely compromises the Batman character and his obsession with fighting crime. So what if he feels alone/isolated. That just adds to his character, imo.

Catwoman is a criminal and that is EXACTLY why he likes her. Batman has this really really really weird attraction to crime. He believes that he can somehow right all the wrongs in the world. He is in sense a criminal as well. If he didn't have crime he would have no reason to exist and all that he stands for and all that has helped him cope with his parents death will be in vain. Think of him as OCD and Crime is his tick and love. Catwoman plays the game with him and in this really strange way he likes it.

He also manages to reform her, and make her see the good in herself. There's a lot of attachment that goes into that process.

Jaymes e06, your response is pretty useless. That's the sentiment of a 13 year-old girl, and you're completely missing the point I'm trying to make. What is there to love in a career criminal that has repeatedly stolen from you and attacked you physically?

CaptainClown, I like your idea that Bruce wants to make everything right. But then how come Catwoman is the only criminal that he's ever trying to redeem? Everyone else just gets broken arms and internal bleeding.

I think your response justifies the relationship in the comics and other media, but I still don't get what Bruce sees in Selina in TDKR. If I recall correctly (it's been a while) she does nothing good until the 3rd act. It's just blind faith on Batman's part, and I don't see Batman having blind faith in anything.

And Anita, I realize that Bruce is eventually able to reform her in TDKR, but there's never any real reason for him to try, other than "this is Catwoman, and it's just the rulez".

It still bothers me a lot, and it doesn't gel with how I see Batman. But then, everyone interprets these types of character differently, I think. Thanks for the responses guys and gals.

He also manages to reform her, and make her see the good in herself. There's a lot of attachment that goes into that process.

Ehh she was already trying to start over by getting the clean slate.

Where's Annefan? He'd love this pic! :hehe:

HR_LES_MISERABLES_SHOT_03_067_v3_Final_a_l_w.jpg

Ehh she was already trying to start over by getting the clean slate.
He gets her to consider more than just herself, remember? She isn't as selfish as she believes herself to be.

Where's Annefan? He'd love this pic! :hehe:

HR_LES_MISERABLES_SHOT_03_067_v3_Final_a_l_w.jpg
LOL it's clear who's the star of the show here. :hehe:

Jaymes e06, your response is pretty useless. That's the sentiment of a 13 year-old girl, and you're completely missing the point I'm trying to make. What is there to love in a career criminal that has repeatedly stolen from you and attacked you physically?
No it's ovious you're missing the point. There are people in abusive relationships that would say that they are totally in love with there significant other even though they have cheated, beat on, or stolen from them. How is that a 13 year-old girl's perspective? You have obviously never been in love before otherwise you wouldn't be dismissing my thoughts so quickly.

Yet it was his clashes with The Joker and Harvey Dent that robbed him of Rachel and put him into 8 years of misery and retirement. Nothing the LOS did to him had that much of an effect on him. TDK even left more lasting physical injuries on him since the leg injury and need for a cane was a result of his fall with Dent.

Exactly. Batman Begins left no loose ends with the LOS. They were defeated and Ra's was killed. There was more justification for the Joker to come back since he lived ("I think you and I are destined to do this forever") and his breaking of Harvey Dent was covered up by Batman and Gordon.

Your complaint seems more to be that Nolan did not make the movie you wanted more than the movie itself.

CaptainClown, I like your idea that Bruce wants to make everything right. But then how come Catwoman is the only criminal that he's ever trying to redeem? Everyone else just gets broken arms and internal bleeding.

I think your response justifies the relationship in the comics and other media, but I still don't get what Bruce sees in Selina in TDKR. If I recall correctly (it's been a while) she does nothing good until the 3rd act. It's just blind faith on Batman's part, and I don't see Batman having blind faith in anything.

And Anita, I realize that Bruce is eventually able to reform her in TDKR, but there's never any real reason for him to try, other than "this is Catwoman, and it's just the rulez".

It still bothers me a lot, and it doesn't gel with how I see Batman. But then, everyone interprets these types of character differently, I think. Thanks for the responses guys and gals.

He sees himself in her. She reminds him of him, but is a person who didn't have the breaks and fortunes he had. He is attracted to her because she is just like him in her need to dress up on a costume and has the capacity for good. That is why he wants to reform her. Plus men are always attracted to the femme fatale. But in the Nolan story it is more out of an attraction to a likeness of spirit. More than he ever had with Rachel or Talia, who posed as Rachel 2.0 as Miranda. At least, that is how I took it.

No it's obvious you're missing the point. There are people in abusive relationships that would say that they are totally in love with their significant other even though they have cheated, beat on, or stolen from them.

That's not even close to a good example. People in those abusive situations delude themselves into believing those things. They are often alone, or too afraid or embarrassed to ask for help. Anyone who witnessed the abuse firsthand would recognize that the relationship is not a healthy one, and that love does not factor into that situation at all.

Batman is not afraid of Catwoman. He's also (traditionally) not an idiot. So your explanation doesn't justify the whole "automatically trusting/loving" Catwoman thing.

How is that a 13 year-old girl's perspective?
Because only thirteen year old girls would use the excuse: "BECAUSE LUV YOU GUYZ!!"

... Okay, pretty harsh (and stereotypical), but that's basically the defense you gave, and I wanted to get the point across that it was a bad one.

You have obviously never been in love before otherwise you wouldn't be dismissing my thoughts so quickly.
I think that it's safe to say that my experience in that department is completely irrelevant to this conversation.

He sees himself in her. She reminds him of him, but is a person who didn't have the breaks and fortunes he had. He is attracted to her because she is just like him in her need to dress up on a costume and has the capacity for good.That is why he wants to reform her.

That's an interesting concept. But I'm not really seeing any similarity character-wise. Technically, every (sane) person has the capacity for good. So Batman drops everything in order to reform one cat-burglar, but to hell with all of the other criminals? So she wears a black suit at night too? Okay, I mean, it's a start at least. But then why elope with her to Europe? Post TDKR, I don't really see Bruce getting back into costume, so there goes the only thing that they ever had in common.

Plus men are always attracted to the femme fatale.

If that were universally true, we wouldn't be having this conversation...

But in the Nolan story it is more out of an attraction to a likeness of spirit. More than he ever had with Rachel or Talia, who posed as Rachel 2.0 as Miranda.

Yeah, I'm not argueing that Rachel or Miranda is better for Bats. I'm just saying that the guy fights crime. Falling in love with a criminal makes him seem weak and completely hypocritical to me. Manipulating a criminal in order to get what he wants (her help to stop Bane) is cool though...

And again, I'm just not seeing the "likeness of spirit" thing. She's got a particular set of skills, so to speak, so it would be nice to have her on his side. I understand that motivation. Anything past that makes no sense to me though.

Catwoman keeps letting Bruce down, and he keeps trusting her anyway. How does he know that she'll help him when it really matters? Batman's smart, but he doesn't have telepathy. The whole situation with her is a crazy gambit that I could never swallow.

At least, that's how I took it.

You gave me things to consider. :up:

That dress is bizarre (there's too much going on) but I can imagine the fanboys liking it especially the last picture. :hehe:

Batman belives in a system is there to help reform people. It is why he is against killing cause he thinks the system will help them become good people in society again. When he meets a Selina he finds a women not evil, but simply trying to start over and have a good life. He finds that she is trapped much like he is cause she need to dress up like Catwoman and do jobs in order to reach her goal, but its seems like a never ending quest. He has to have Batman and fight a never ending war on crime and it looks like there is no escape. he sees himself in her and wants to help her reform. and thats where they connect imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"