Arrow Arrow Season 3, Episode 5 "The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak" General Discussion

ban1o

Civilian
Reaction score
arrow_season3_poster.jpg

http://www.greenarrowtv.com/tag/the-secret-origin-of-felicity-smoak

Airs: November 5

Felicity's family and backstory come to the fore. Felicity tries to find common ground with her mother but it is clear the two are very different.

http://www.greenarrowtv.com/arrow-official-description-for-the-secret-origin-of-felicity-smoak/19340

CHARLOTTE ROSS (“NYPD BLUE”) STARS AS FELICITY’S MOTHER — When a cyber attack brings Starling City to its knees, Oliver (Stephen Amell) and Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) are pushed to their limits to contain the destruction. Life gets even more complicated for Felicity when her mother, Donna (guest star Charlotte Ross), stops by for a surprise visit. Meanwhile, Ted Grant (guest star JR Ramirez) questions Laurel’s (Katie Cassidy) motives, and Thea (Willa Holland) buys an apartment with Malcolm’s (John Barrowman) “estate” money, which infuriates Oliver. Nolan Funk guest stars as Felicity’s ex-boyfriend. Michael Schultz directed the episode written by Ben Sokolowski & Brian Ford Sullivan (#305).

Last edited:
Is this the episode that was originally titled "Oracle"?

There are two movies listed as episode 5. I assume Guilty is 6?

Wasn't "Oracle" suposed to be episode 8 focusing on Felicity's time on MIT?

This is 5, Guilty is six.

Oracle was this episode, and that it what they are focusing on, at least a little bit.

Well hello Lisbeth, I mean Chloe, I mean goth Felicity. Seriously, she's hot.
[/SPOILER]

I hope Ollie bangs Felicity's Mom(not expecting it though), that would be hilarious

Why couldn't they have killed off Felicity instead of Sara - i really dislike the way she is written now. A whole episode about her?

I've noticed that Felicity isn't quite as scatterbrained as she used to be, but I'm fine with that. It can get annoying if not used appropriately. She's still the same character I fell in love with and I'd be really mad if they killed her off. I loved Sara, but if I had to choose between the two...well, we'd be exactly where we are now.

I've noticed that Felicity isn't quite as scatterbrained as she used to be, but I'm fine with that. It can get annoying if not used appropriately. She's still the same character I fell in love with and I'd be really mad if they killed her off. I loved Sara, but if I had to choose between the two...well, we'd be exactly where we are now.
It's not the personality that annoys me, it's the forced Olicity stuff. And now there's like a love pentagon across shows starring her, Oliver, Barry, Iris, and Eddy Thawne. You could also throw Laurel in there as well and make it a love hexagon. Stuff like that is not why I am interested in these shows. I want to see superheroes being superheroes, not emo people with an interesting secret life.

Last edited:
So basically not comics then, because that soap opera-aspect is a staple of the genre.

Complicated love stories have been a staple of the superhero genre from the time it began.

It's not the personality that annoys me, it's the forced Olicity stuff.

It rarely feels forced from my perspective, but I was annoyed at their lack of progress in the premiere.

And now there's like a love pentagon across shows starring her, Oliver, Barry, Iris, and Eddy Thawne.

Nah. That episode closed the door on the possibility of Felicity/Barry for the foreseeable future.

You could also throw Laurel in there as well and make it a love hexagon. Stuff like that is not why I am interested in these shows. I want to see superheroes being superheroes, not emo people with an interesting secret life.

Fair enough. However, I think the show does a good job of balancing those elements.

So basically not comics then, because that soap opera-aspect is a staple of the genre.

Most comics I read as a kid had the basic plot of

1. bad dude comes to town and reeks havoc
2. good guy beats up bad dude

Maybe you could argue Archie had a little soap opera drama, but this is Arrow not Archie

I think in general superhero cartoons have a better action/soap ratio then live action TV shows/movies. Let's use Young Justice as an example, sure it might have had a slight amount of soap element behind it but that was a very small part compared to the actual action. All that being said action costs alot, soap is cheap to produce so I have to guess that a big reason for the extra soap focus on TV shows compared to comics/cartoons. Also TV shows/movies need to expand their base of viewers so they have to find ways to appeal to a broader audience. All that being said it doesn't mean we shouldn't complain about the soap elements involved in the show if we find it dragging it down although it's very unlikely it will go away.

Last edited:
Wait, so is the producers' intention to eventually make Felicity "Oracle" on the show?? I don't know how I feel about that. Seems slightly blasphemous.

Is it really surprising? With how much they have already taken from Batman.

Is it really surprising? With how much they have already taken from Batman.

It actually is, though. Because I don't agree with people when it comes to "Arrow taking from Batman." - I think that's a myth.

- Count Vertigo, Clock King, Deathstroke, and Merlyn, for example, are all primarily Green Arrow villains. If anything, Batman stole Vertigo and Clock King from GA after the fact. Deathstroke is a villain across the entire DC Universe.

- Characters like Deadshot, Black Canary, and Huntress are DC characters, not exclusively Batman characters. They show up everywhere. Black Canary in particular is the love of Green Arrow's life, and is arguably not affiliated with Batman outside of the Birds of Prey.

- Ra's Al Ghul is arguably a villain to the entire DC Universe, not just Batman.

- The Suicide Squad is a DC group - not a Batman group.

To me, literally stealing from Batman would involve showcasing characters like Mr. Freeze, or The Riddler, or Catwoman, and that's something they'll never do. They haven't taken anything from Batman besides the fact that the inception of Green Arrow was literally to be a Batman knockoff in the comics, where Oliver is a billionaire with an ArrowCave and an ArrowMobile, and a kid sidekick with a red outfit.

To me, calling Felicity "Oracle" would be as random and silly as calling Diggle "Robin". There's no logical reason, other than "Felicity likes computers n' stuff."

Last edited:
Maybe it's my taste in women, but Rickards makes for a knockout brunette.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"