The Flash The Flash Season 1, Episode 18 "All-Star Team Up" General Discussion

The thing is the "keeping Iris from danger angle" is heavily flawed when we all know that

1) Their number one suspect knows how important Iris is to both Joe and Barry anyway with or without her knowing Barry's secret.

2) Reverse Flash has already threatened death when it comes to Iris because Joe can't keep his nose out of his business.

It's the biggest piece of broken and illogical writing in an otherwise fairly entertaining show.
After what happened to Mason, I can see some logic behind the "don't tell Iris, keep her safe".

Okay... Next time Slade gets Mirakuru'd or when Grodd attacks or if Cyrus Grundy comes back from the grave I'd like to see Iris, Caitlin, or Felicity win that scrap one on one.

It's one of Joe's character flaws... which is realistic and makes him a better character for it. Maybe he doesn't want his daughter exposed to that. I know if there were metahumans in the real world shooting laser beams out of their eyes I would want my daughter thousands of miles away from it regardless of how old or capable she was.

But not telling her Barry's secret does nothing to keep her thousands of miles away from the metahumans. I still can't figure out what Joe is worried Iris will do if she finds out the truth. She already covers the damn metahumans for her blog.

After what happened to Mason, I can see some logic behind the "don't tell Iris, keep her safe".

Did you miss the part where Reverse Flash threatened to kill Iris if Joe continued to investigate him, a fact of which Barry is aware, and Barry's going to investigate him anyway? How nice that Iris has no idea that her life is in danger and can't protect herself. :o

How though?

Just as easily as they can say "Barry is The Flash so you need to fall back on your reporting regarding him for a while" they can also say "and for your own safety do not write about Harrison Wells; we'll take care of him. We're telling you this because we all love you". But nah CW needs it's quota of pointless soap tropes.

Joe's weird paranoia about Iris isn't just about secret-keeping. Remember in the first episode, Barry and Iris were simply walking when Marden drove up on them, followed by the police. When everything was settled, Joe yelled at Barry, and at Iris for being near the police chase - even though they didn't go looking for it.

Joe's protective streak is badly written, and is mostly illogical.

Did you miss the part where Reverse Flash threatened to kill Iris if Joe continued to investigate him, a fact of which Barry is aware, and Barry's going to investigate him anyway? How nice that Iris has no idea that her life is in danger and can't protect herself. :o
Did I miss Mason's death? The number of times Joe reminded the audience of the death threat aimed at him? Cisko's flashback to his own death?
Maybe. :oldrazz:

How though?

Just as easily as they can say "Barry is The Flash so you need to fall back on your reporting regarding him for a while" they can also say "and for your own safety do not write about Harrison Wells; we'll take care of him. We're telling you this because we all love you". But nah CW needs it's quota of pointless soap tropes.
By not telling her the secret and then telling her "girl, don't involve yourself, you will be a hindrance if you decide to help, we are telling you to stay put"
And then she does the exact opposite cause.. that cliche of doing the opposite of what she was told needs to happen somewhat for dramatic purpose.

By not telling her the secret and then telling her "girl, don't involve yourself, you will be a hindrance if you decide to help, we are telling you to stay put"
And then she does the exact opposite cause.. that cliche of doing the opposite of what she was told needs to happen somewhat for dramatic purpose.

If these writers had more balls they'd avoid the pitfall of dropping into that cliche by completely playing it straight and avoiding it in the first place. Iris is a logical grown woman first before being a curious reporter and there's nothing wrong with showing that on the show. It's totally political why it's there (CW mandates) so I overlook it and focus more on the things that are good about the show but it's still a superfluous flaw that shouldn't actually be there.

Did I miss Mason's death? The number of times Joe reminded the audience of the death threat aimed at him? Cisko's flashback to his own death?
Maybe. :oldrazz:.

Again, lying to Iris protects her from none of these things because the danger to her comes from Barry's and Joe's decision to continue investigating Wells.

I agree with you guys, that's why I said "some logic".

Some of ya'll must find a relationship growing stale and disconnected okay. I agree that Iris's passive aggressive behavior during the dinner was childish, but every other point she had in that episode was right. Of course she's going to require complete and utter honesty from the man she's living with. She said that Eddie was becoming distant with her. The Flash's secret was affecting Eddie's behavior and damaging his relationship with Iris. Obviously she'd want to know why her relationship with her boyfriend is growing cold. Would you honestly be okay with your significant other lying to your face, blatantly hiding stuff from you, and closing themselves off? Would you do nothing and watch your relationship tank? I highly doubt it. Barry gave a good explanation for Eddie's behavior, that as with Joe when they were kids, Eddie was trying to shield her from the gruesomeness of the crimes he investigates. But here's the thing, Iris ain't a kid anymore. Her mind isn't soft and innocent, needing protection from ghastly crimes. If her and Eddie are in a relationship and living together, then they need to completely open and honest especially if it's negatively affecting their relationship. Iris let him know that she doesn't want to be in a relationship with a guy who treats her like her father, she let him know that she doesn't want to be shut out when things get rough for Eddie, she let him know that if he continues to lie and hide things from her when he should be sharing his burdens, then they should end it right then and there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"