The Flash The Flash Season 1, Episode 18 "All-Star Team Up" General Discussion

Anywho,I just wanted to mention I liked the kinda/sorta version of "Flight of the Bumblebee" (AKA Green Hornet's theme) they used as Bug Eye Bandit's theme.:woot:

But Barry is agreeing with Joe to keep it a secret from her.

Doesn't matter. Next time Eddie asks to clue Iris in, Joe should refer him to Barry and see if his feelings have changed.

Actually she does live with Joe again, which makes it even more difficult to give Eddie an excuse to tell her.

She's only temporarily moved in with him because she's fighting with Eddie, and she was definitely not living with her dad when Eddie and Joe were having their conversation. Here's the deal, though: the whole "As long as you live under my roof..." applies to teens, not grown women who are supporting themselves.

ETA: Am I crazy, or did Iris once say she wanted to be a cop until Joe told her she couldn't? If that's true, then Joe's been dominating Iris unpleasantly for some time. I still can't figure out what terrible thing he thinks is going to happen should Iris ever find out Barry's secret.

No.

Here's why; it's not about one gender keeping a secret from the opposite gender.

It's all about the reasons behind it. Iris is viewed as too fragile, too delicate, and in desperate need of masculine protection from the evils of the world. Joe has decided for Iris that she isn't capable of handling the truth, or of being a useful ally or friend to Barry. Even though he apparently taught the kids how to box (and Iris was better at it than Barry), and even though she apparently knows how to fire a weapon, Joe feels that he needs to take away her agency in this matter.

Now, if he had said that he was concerned that since she might be willing to give away Barry's secret, or that since she's a reporter, that she might prove to be a danger to Barry or the others, it would at least sound better.

When did he say it was because she is a girl?
1/ She is not a cop (unlike Barry, Eddie or himself) she is not trained to deal with matters such as this.
2/ She is his child. Of course he is going to be protective of her.
3/ If he thought she was so delicate and in need of masculine protection. Did he teach her to box or fire a weapon?

Doesn't matter. Next time Eddie asks to clue Iris in, Joe should refer him to Barry and see if his feelings have changed.

She's only temporarily moved in with him because she's fighting with Eddie, and she was definitely not living with her dad when Eddie and Joe were having their conversation. Here's the deal, though: the whole "As long as you live under my roof..." applies to teens, not grown women who are supporting themselves.

ETA: Am I crazy, or did Iris once say she wanted to be a cop until Joe told her she couldn't? If that's true, then Joe's been dominating Iris unpleasantly for some time. I still can't figure out what terrible thing he thinks is going to happen should Iris ever find out Barry's secret.

Joe told her he didn't want her dating Eddie. She thought it was because he was a cop. But it was because he was his partner. He didn't want to one day have to go to his daughter and tell her that her husband/boyfriend was dead. This could effect their working relationship.

My favorite line was from Caitlyn when Felicity and Ray show up at Star Labs ...
"Oh God, there's two of them!"

Who knew one line from Joe would be the most controversial thing to happen this week? :funny:

My favorite line was from Caitlyn when Felicity and Ray show up at Star Labs ...
"Oh God, there's two of them!"

I liked Ollie's line in Arrow this week "are you sure you two aren't related?"

Iris just plain needs to be removed from the show stat, she's starting to downright detract from it for me. She's the most facepalm-inducing character I've ever seen on TV and I wish she would just go away at this point. If the writers don't step up the quality of her character, or jettison it completely, by the next season (if there is another season) I might actually stop watching the show because of her.

Last edited:

You are not crazy. In episode four, things are awkward between Joe and Iris. Iris asks if he's going to give her the cold shoulder like he did when she signed up to become an officer. She said he wouldn't speak to her until she withdrew her application.

There was also the stuffed animal incident, which I found a bit disturbing as well. When Iris was little, she broke a record of her fathers. It was a valuable one. So as punishment, he took her favorite stuffed animal away and refused to give it back to her.

I love Joe, but these instances with Iris are grating, and upsetting. The writers think that they're being funny, but really they are reinforcing the idea that women only have value when they do what men want or like.

When did he say it was because she is a girl?
1/ She is not a cop (unlike Barry, Eddie or himself) she is not trained to deal with matters such as this.
2/ She is his child. Of course he is going to be protective of her.
3/ If he thought she was so delicate and in need of masculine protection. Did he teach her to box or fire a weapon?

1. No, she isn't. Neither is Caitlin. Neither is Felicity. No one sees a need to protect them from any of the nastiness.

2. I realize this. But as I've said before, Joe is very domineering of his daughter.

3. He taught her those things. Despite teaching her that, he still thinks that she needs him to treat her like a little girl. It's the stereotypical, "Little girls are treasures that daddies must protect", instead of realizing that she is a woman of means and strength.

Based on the extended trailer they just released, it looks like lack of knowledge will not be protecting Iris much longer.

The writers are making us hate Iris for a reason, idk why tho yet. Its kind of obvious.

Joe told her he didn't want her dating Eddie. She thought it was because he was a cop. But it was because he was his partner. He didn't want to one day have to go to his daughter and tell her that her husband/boyfriend was dead. This could effect their working relationship.

He did stop her from being a cop (I don't remember if it was just an order or if he actively blocked her acceptance to the academy), and he also didn't want her dating his partner because it made him treat Eddie the same way he does Iris: like some precious thing he needs to protect.

Iris is trying to push past his over-protectiveness (it's one of her few endearing traits), though her lack of powers mean that Joe isn't backing down as easily as he did for Barry when he tried to stop Barry from becoming the Flash.

Joe's just a father who doesn't get that his kids are grown up, and he shows it with his reluctance to let them be adults repeatedly. Barry's worn him down more than Iris.

I found Felicity to be really annoying but I have to admit her description of Ray as Barry's mind in Oliver's body made me LOL

Anywho,I just wanted to mention I liked the kinda/sorta version of "Flight of the Bumblebee" (AKA Green Hornet's theme) they used as Bug Eye Bandit's theme.:woot:

That just reminded me of Bumblebee, they should introduce her.

Bees, my God!

Ugh! This is definitely the lowest point of this show so far.

5/10

So That barry/felicity team-up kinda worked, but Barry didn"t do much, it was up to that superheroine felicity to save the day, once more..... give me a break CW. I can't stand Felicity anymore because of you!

So That barry/felicity team-up kinda worked, but Barry didn"t do much, it was up to that superheroine felicity to save the day, once more..... give me a break CW. I can't stand Felicity anymore because of you!
I thought Cisko and Ray did the job.

EDIT:
Never mind, I like her hacking job.
I'd like her more if she did not jump from one boyfriend to another.

I like Felicity on The Flash. I don't watch the Arrow very often, so I can't speak from that perspective. I do think that the writers on Flash have no idea how to write a romance well.

only in arrow and flash do romances get so complicated... If anything, Daredevil proved you don't need the hero to be in heavy romance for the show to be interesting.

1. No, she isn't. Neither is Caitlin. Neither is Felicity. No one sees a need to protect them from any of the nastiness.

Okay... Next time Slade gets Mirakuru'd or when Grodd attacks or if Cyrus Grundy comes back from the grave I'd like to see Iris, Caitlin, or Felicity win that scrap one on one.

It's one of Joe's character flaws... which is realistic and makes him a better character for it. Maybe he doesn't want his daughter exposed to that. I know if there were metahumans in the real world shooting laser beams out of their eyes I would want my daughter thousands of miles away from it regardless of how old or capable she was.

Last edited:
only in arrow and flash do romances get so complicated... If anything, Daredevil proved you don't need the hero to be in heavy romance for the show to be interesting.

I agree. The subversion was a breath of fresh air. The hero didn't get the girl. The villain that believed himself to be the hero did instead.

The thing is the "keeping Iris from danger angle" is heavily flawed when we all know that

1) Their number one suspect knows how important Iris is to both Joe and Barry anyway with or without her knowing Barry's secret.

2) Reverse Flash has already threatened death when it comes to Iris because Joe can't keep his nose out of his business.

It's the biggest piece of broken and illogical writing in an otherwise fairly entertaining show.

Okay... Next time Slade gets Mirakuru'd or when Grodd attacks or if Cyrus Grundy comes back from the grave I'd like to see Iris, Caitlin, or Felicity win that scrap one on one.

It's one of Joe's character flaws... which is realistic and makes him a better character for it. Maybe he doesn't want his daughter exposed to that. I know if there were metahumans in the real world shooting laser beams out of their eyes I would want my daughter thousands of miles away from it regardless of how old or capable she was.

It's one thing to not want her to be involved in a fight. It's another thing entirely to think that ignorance is going to protect her. It's a weak reason, and it's stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"