Arrow Arrow season 4 episode 19 "Canary Cry"

I guess Charlie just added that comment in his video then.

I did skim through the episode though. Once again, there were some interesting ideas with Laurel, but the execution on everything I saw just looked half-assed. Baby Canary did not look like an accomplished gymnast or whatever she was, her chase with Oliver looked clumsy for both of them, Quentin was overselling his grief to the point of it being comical at the funeral, and Oliver's Dear John letter felt so rushed. I feel like Laurel got even less screentime in an episode meant to deal with her death and flashbacks. Smallville did the same thing to explain why Lana was suddenly not on the show anymore, but at least that had emotion and the right time given to it.

Overall, there were good ideas on paper, but horrible execution on set and through editing. This certainly didn't get me excited for the rest of the season. If anything, I think this season left us feeling just like Laurel did after Tommy's death. Hopeful and excited for the future when the season started, but dead here in the present.

Her line about saving the world together with Oliver really hurt though. :(

He's already helped two children fight.
Roy and Thea? I guess, but Roy was more because he proved himself willing to learn after his Mirakuru fiasco, and Thea was already trained by Malcolm. Baby Canary just showed up and it feels like she is an easy replacement (which sucks not only because Laurel shouldn't be as easily replaced, but also because the show has been getting too crowded, so adding in a new member after killing one off just doesn't take advantage of the opportunity that presents).

-Flashbacks center on Laurel/Oliver putting Tommy to rest. Laurel is excited for her future and her future with Oliver, they kiss, he sends her a dear john letter as he goes back to the island, she breaks down crying.

Ugh, that was dumb as bad place.

In season 2 she was clearly self medicating and spiraling out of control because of Tommy's death and how she felt partially responsible. Now because of this episode, it seemed to be all because of Oliver and his stupid letter.

Even in the "canon" 1.5 comics they had Oliver at Tommys funeral giving a speech with Laurel refusing to even speak to him or something. I guess MG was serious when he retweeted "enough with canon"

In season 2, she did reference Tommy and blamed herself for his death, and that is what played a big part in her depression. She even said this and she was trying to put the blame on Oliver to avoid blaming herself, if I remember correctly. They cannot change that even if they want to and those flashback scenes were not enough for that to have changed IMO. I still don't know what to make of those flashbacks, I would need to re-watch the episode. Right now, I am leaning more towards not liking them.

Last edited:
Do you think eventually we'll get an Olicity plot set in the present (eg in Season 5) alongside flashbacks to more Olicity moments from Season 3 or 4 that we already just had to endure (but from a different perspective)?

I'll have to watch the episode, but maybe it's that Oliver was the only thing holding Laurel together after Tommy's death, and his leaving just removed any last barriers keeping her from her grief? It seems stupid, yeah. Especially since the first episode of S2 implied that because of Tommy's death, Laurel decided to not be with Oliver. But I guess now it can be taken that since she had time to think after he left for the island, she realized that she didn't want to be with Oliver due to Tommy's memory later. Eh, I'm fine with it as of now, but that might change once I see the episode.

I think Oliver leaving her high and dry again made her realize being with him was a mistake, especially with what happened with Tommy. The fact that he couldn't stay there drove her away from him, and then her being even more depressed over losing Tommy who she loved and loved her.

That's what I'd assume. But with these writers who knows.

If the tie in comics are still canon, Laurel refused to even see Oliver after Tommys death, Q said that she hadn't been that bad off since Sara died.

I think Oliver leaving her high and dry again made her realize being with him was a mistake, especially with what happened with Tommy. The fact that he couldn't stay there drove her away from him, and then her being even more depressed over losing Tommy who she loved and loved her.

That's what I'd assume. But with these writers who knows.

One would think but with her last words going towards always loving Oliver as her one true love and keeping the picture, they basically changed what they originally did.

7/10. I actually thought it was probably the best episode of the season so far.

Laurel's flashback scenes were really nice, the music and everything. It reminded me of season one and made me wish they'd just reboot the whole thing from that point.

If she was scripted as well as she has been recently then perhaps the fans wouldn't have turned against her so much and we wouldn't have this Felicity crap we have now.

To be honest this episode really highlighted that they killed the wrong girl. Felicity was dreadful, I can't stand the sight of her anymore and I don't know what they can do. She brings every scene down and I think really needs a break from the show if there's any hope of saving her character. Thea really didn't have a good episode either.

Other than that most of it was fairly good. bb canary was interesting and I quite liked her to be honest. I wonder where they'll go with it. Lance was good again and I didn't mind Oliver/Diggle at all. I don't get the point of letting Darhk's wife run around though. If you don't want to kill her just take her hostage or something.

But yeah, it wasn't dreadful so thats an improvement at least.

I thought this episode was quite good. Certainly, one of the strongest this season.

Even in the "canon" 1.5 comics they had Oliver at Tommys funeral giving a speech with Laurel refusing to even speak to him or something. I guess MG was serious when he retweeted "enough with canon"

yep he's doing what most of those known bad writers that claim to be trying to make name for them selves and get awards do and then they do that and convolute the entire stories series run in comics. Only it's on tv with him this time and it's just his own work (thank fully) instead of the body of work of other writers that wrote before cause there's a revolving door policy. And unlike a series of books, a tv show is easier not to have this kinda of mistake happen , if your writer that's just plain busy and can't keep up or look back.

but nope not with him. oh well I'm sticking around til black siren shows and leaves and possible the end of the series. after that.....

Anyway wasn't overly bad and wasn't overly good ether it was ok episode. minus that.

Last edited:
Perhaps I am mistaken, but if I remember correctly, early in season 2, Laurel did try to get close to Oliver and bring him into her apartment, but he refused her. That played its part in her depression too as well as her feeling guilty for Tommy's death, she felt that nobody was there for her and that there was something wrong with her. It was also partly her not allowing anybody get close to her so that they could help her, like Quentin. Her boss at work also tried to get close to her romantically, but she refused him. It seems that after Tommy's death, the only person she would have allowed to get close to her romantically was Oliver, who, despite everything that had happened between the two, she still viewed as an important person in her life, and there was a part of her that still liked him.

So maybe the flashbacks in this episode are not inconsistent with the early parts of season 2, I would have to watch it again, as well as the early episodes from season 2.

Last edited:
Oliver: Don't kill her. We have to be better than them, Diggle.

End of episode

Oliver: I'm gonna kill him.

ukMP1Pz.png

:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija