ASM #548 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Comics' started by Kirk Langstrom, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Dangerous Registered

Don't make any sense tho.

If I had not read OMD, but then starting reading these issues, I would have been pretty disgusted / confused about Harry being alive, no MJ etc etc..

2. JayTee Registered

Are you absolutely kidding me? There is a such thing as the internet ya know. Finding out all this stuff is what got me back, and not reading the latter half of JMS's run is why I'm able to dig this so much. So yes, from an un-tainted perspective, Brand New Day is great Spider-Man.

3. Donald Thomas The Black ArachKnight

Aloha,
    Reminds me of the old PP SM volume with Joey Z.Should be interesting to see how the mob protects Spidey from super villian types as well as street level thugs.Spidey's the new Sinatra of Super Heroes.
    Spidey rules

4. Dark Spidey Registered

Another great issue! Great art. Great drama. Great action. Great FUN! :word:

And I called out Mr. Negative as really being Mr. Li. two weeks ago. But I wasn't disappointed because I figured it out and there was no surprise. Instead I felt rather clever and found myself grinning ear to ear :woot:

Although I do have some lingering questions... Like why did Dooly leave the web-shooter behind? And does he know who Spidey is now? My bet is that he had already sold Pete's wallet on, and that's where he's racing off too!

But why'd he leave the web-shooter? :huh:

5. Dark Spidey Registered

Care to explain? :yay:

6. Dark Spidey Registered

Agreed. I think that thread should be closed. And I started it! :o

7. Dark Spidey Registered

Testify!! :woot: :up:

8. stillanerd Registered

I'd be happy to--and remember, this is just a theory of mine based on anecdotal evidence. In an interview Steve Wacker gave to IGN in promotion for Brand New Day, there was an exchange about what role some of the more the classic supporting characters would have in the new status quo:

http://comics.ign.com/articles/840/840731p3.html

Second, look at Hobie Brown's current status: he's no longer the Prowler now, essentially forced to retire because of injuries and the Superhero Registration Act, so he's currently in character limbo. Plus, he's a C-lister, yet at the same time important enough to Spidey's history for his death to resonate--especially since Spidey considers him a really good friend who has helped him out so many times in the past.

Also, we know that Menace, according to solicits for next issue and the Spider-Man bible that got leaked, is going to kill someone. Aside from the fact that he seems to have connections with the Green Goblin which has always been personal to Peter, if Menace kills Hobie Brown, one of the few people Spidey could call a trusted friend, then that makes it all the more personal. Plus, it provides that much more pressure for Jackpot, who is hunting him down herself already, to bring him to justice because Menace is now targeting people who are registered under the act, which would suggest that Menace has inside knowledge and is therefore that more dangerous. It also makes Harry the prime suspect because not only because his father is not only the Green Goblin and therefore allowing his son to have access to Goblin weaponry, but also because Norman is the head of the Thunderbolts and would have access to files on heroes or retired heroes who registered under the act. Finally, since Spidey and Jackpot are on opposite sides of the law thanks to registration and each have their own motives for wanting bringing down Menace, it makes their partnership (plus the fact that, as we assume, Jackpot is Mary Jane, his "ex-girlfriend") have that much more internal conflict. That's what I'm going on anyway.

9. Dangerous Registered

Ok, if I had not read any message boards or OMD,- would I still resent BND for introducing a meaningless reset continuity, that makes no sense, butchers Spidey's rich history and craps on the masterpiece SSM#200...

Hell yes I'd still resent BND.

10. Spider-ManHero12 Web-Slinger

LOL! :woot:

11. Kirk Langstrom FRANCINE!!!!

Man, i really enjoyed the first arc. Thought Mr. Negative is shaping up to be a great new addition to the rogue's gallery.....

Now, is the next writer going to follow up on the sub-plots started by Slott? Will we see more of Negative, and Jonah's arc next issue, or do we have to wait until Slott returns in May for that...?

12. Blader5489 CASUAL SEX!

Hardly a masterpiece...

13. Spider-ManHero12 Web-Slinger

It was amazing IMO. It made me teary eyed. :up:

14. Kirk Langstrom FRANCINE!!!!

Are you kidding me? Those final few silent pages between Peter and Harry were gut-wrenching...

DEFINITELY a masterpiece. :up:

15. Dangerous Registered

Spectacular #200 has got to be one of the top 10 single greatest ever issues of Spider-Man.
    One of only a few comics that actually made me teary eyed and feel sad afterwards.
    A Masterpiece through and through.

I must say Balder- you have quite an 'interesting' take on Spidey comics.

16. kguillou Registered

Spectacular #200, Amazing #400 and Spider-Man #75 were the only comics that had me actually cry at the end and i'm not ashamed to admit it. All three of those are absolute classics.

17. Dangerous Registered

You missed ASM#121-122.

18. kguillou Registered

True, the only reason i didnt list those was because i wasnt born when those comics were published. By the time i actually read those comics, i was already fully aware of what was going to happen, so the impact didnt really phase me, but ASM 121-122 definitely are Spidey classics!

19. JayTee Registered

Dudes, so like Speectacular spidrman 2oo was a classic indeed, but really Harry's death was kind of tacked on in that issue. He really had no actual reason to die if you think about it. Just new goblin formula on last page = boom, dead.

The spider-verse is better off if people dont die as often.

(apologiesz, im not in the 100% frame of mind right now)

20. Same here.

Peter Parker: Spider-Man #75 was the saddest one I ever read, followed very closely by Amazing Spider-Man #400.

Spectacular Spider-Man #200, was sad, as was Amazing Spider-Man #248 and Amazing Spider-Man #'s 121 & 122.

I also was disappointed in the little imp, Jack's death.
    I thought he was a great character.

21. spider greg Registered

Okaaaaay. Time to get back on topic. :cwink: I finally got a chance to read it last night and even though I didn't think it was quite up to par with the previous 2 issues, I still loved it and enjoyed the heck out of it!! A very satisfying ending and the thing I love most of all are the subplots! Thank God those and the thought balloons are back, that's part of the fun of comics, the story ends but more questions open up.
    I also got a kick how each issue opens up with Spidey face to face with someone, and to end it with him staring down a corpse cracked me up. It's a great time to be a Spidey fan! :yay:

22. shinlyle King of the Haters

You are insane.

23. Blader5489 CASUAL SEX!

It was just too rushed. Harry's turnaround from villain to hero was too fast to make sense and, like Jaytee said, the death was just kind of tacked on at the end.

24. Miss Webb Registered

I want Peter and Harry to hold hands on the beach, wearing linen summer pants and open shirts flapping gently in summer breezes...mai tais in hand. In this new and swinging age, all things are possible!

Doesn't make sense, but I'm past caring about sense with this.

25. Dangerous Registered

Your missing the point- Harry was never really a villain, he was just a bit warped by what happened to his father and taking the goblin formula.

SSM#200 was about Harry's relationships w/ PP and MJ, he cared about them more than anyone else in the world along w/ Normy and Liz, but he was doomed to come unstuck eventually. If not from the formula poisoning him, then because of his unstable nature and contradictory state of mind.